I watch my relatives kids and feel like I am being taken advantage of: Advice?

You may need to tell them that you want to pursue other employment options outside the house and if time allows you can still help.

Either tell them you intend to get another job because you need to make more money, or ask them if they’d be willing to increase your pay ___$ per hour PER child. Explain to them that you want to keep watching their kids but financially it’s a burden for you.

If youre seeking validation… you dont need it. You have the permission.

Make the choice that frees you from resentment. Nobody wants that, and being a yes addict… well, that’s nobody’s first choice.

Good luck

The average childcare of a 2 year old in the US is $611 a month for full time and you’re doing housework? You’d make more money at McDonald’s.

1 Like

If you want to take on another job, it’s your right to do so. Have you had conversation with them about how you feel. If not, it’s time

I personally would tell them I need more. A nanny (family or not) is a luxury and they need to pay as such.

Been there… Done that. Never again. My sister totally took advantage of me. Wouldn’t pay me when she was supposed to. Like hey…can I give you 60 this week. And make up for it next week… And then didn’t do it. SMH. I will NEVER babysit for her again…

If they have two parents working then they can afford to pay you more, if not in cash than room and board

2 Likes

Are you a childminder?
That’s only £3 over here in the uk, I’m a childminder and In my area the minimum is £4 an hour which is $5.23 to you so I’d be finding out what the going rate in your area is first.
I wouldn’t be cleaning the house unless that’s what they’re paying you for but defo need a raise
Childminders don’t clean people’s houses and they’re not insured to be in someone else’s house
How can you be expected to live on 4$??
Just because you’re family doesn’t mean they can take advantage
In this life you need to take care of yourself before anyone else x

Only YOU can answer that question. Depends on how much you liked being walked on vs earning your own dollars at something you really enjoy doing. Sounds like you need to control the problem.

Fyi- I’m in Florida. I have an 8 year old and I pay $10.00 per hour. Just 1 child.

2 Likes

It ain’t worth it. Trust me been there done that. I would put in a 2 weeks notice and go.

Damn I’ll pay you more to just watch my one kid and I won’t make you clean anything! I pay almost 3x that for daycare, you shouldn’t have even accepted that to begin with, it’s SO low.

Give notice that this is not working for you and they need to hire someone else. F they’re taking advantage of you they r not acting Ike “family” to you. So why should you act so nice ack to them?

Let them know you can’t do it ! Period ! You need to take care of YOU ! Pay your bills & work ! Let them know it’s not enough - if you can’t match what I’m worth then I’m going to work at a place that’s going to pay me that - I can’t see anyone getting mad … if they do they are selfish

You have to survive. Especially if you are living in your own home. You need to take care of yourself too. Time for a talk.

You are being used. Been there. You have to put your foot down. They will only continue. It’s hard but you have to do what you need yo do for you.

1 Like

Daycare is at least $150 a week for one in my area. They either need to more than double your pay or I’d stop watching their kids.

You are actually hurting yourself.
Let them know, you need a job to secure YOUR FUTURE, as they obviously are securing theirs.
You need retirement, benefits, paid vacation, paid sick leave and a living wage.
Nothing personal, its just time to take care of yourself.

You already know what you have to do. 400.00 a month does not pay the bills. You need to let them know you can’t keep doing them this favor.

I agree with sitting down and talking to them. Let thrm know you cannot live off of $400 a month. Either they need to pay you a fare wedge or you will have to find a different job. $400 a month for 30 hours or more is extremely cheap and they will not be able to find that elsewhere. They definitely are taking advantage of you. I have 2 kids and $800 a month (what I’m being charged) is cheap. That is for 5 days a week ($40 a day). My babysitter is giving me a big discount and I know it. So definitely talk with you relatives. You deserve more.

Yeah my daycare for one kid part time was 120… and that was cheap cheap cheap.
You can either quit, ask for a raise, or tell them that if they are late, you now charge 5.00 a min like daycare, and cannot provide care if they have a balance from last week

400 a month is a joke! You should be charging at least $1200 a month… that’s a lot of work and a lot of hours…you definitely deserve more than that

Give them advance notice that you need you life back. That job has called you and you need to give an answer ASAP. :hugs::hugs: Good luck! Love them on the weekends or something but set your limits.

If you live with them and dont pay rent, that might be way they pay you so little. You need to think about renting a room from somebody and getting out. Get you a better job or 2nd job until you can get your own place.

Be honest with them, its limiting your options.

Give her notice like you would any employer let her know you need a better paying job at this time wish her the best in finding someone

4 Likes

Go where the moneys at . Dont get paid less than $4 to watch kids whn you could be making WAY more hanging with the big kids lol

So 30 hours a week. Is that 3 days or 4 or 5 days. If it 3 days that good. But if u watch them 4-5-6 days a week. Then no.

If you resent doing it, you really shouldn’t be watching them. It will show.

400 dollars a month is not acceptable!

Private Cleaners get between £10-£30 an hour just to put that out there

They should understand you need a livable wage not just what is convenient for them.

Seek higher powers guidance && management && ask for more money when possible <3

Explain exactly why you deserve more money and you will get what you deserve or go find something better :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

So I’m kinda going through the same thing but reverse roles. My babysitter. My SOs younger cousin. 15yrs old. My kids are 5 and 7. Shes usually stays the night bc I have to leave for work at 5am. My SO is home bc he works the farm we live on. So it’s not like theres not an adult around. And his mom lives next door. I pay her $15 a day to play with the kids and make sure they do their chores. Every so often we pay her extra for chores she does. Like washing dishes after supper. Or laundry. She did amazing last summer and beginning of this summer. But the past few weeks have been terrible. Shes slept/lounged around/ate everything possible/complain/didn’t even make sure the kids were getting fed…it goes on. I had 3 chores for my kids to do sunday while I was at work. Wash dishes, vaccum the living room, and clean the bathroom sink and toilet. I get home and nothing is done. My house is a mess and I have no food in my pantry or fridge that was intended to makes suppers with that she knew about because she went grocery shopping with me. She texted my SO yesterday saying I owed her more money. I paid her for the 4 days she watched the kids and she said I owed her $17 more? How is that even possible!! She stayed from tuesday evening until sunday evening. I was home friday. Btw i only work until 2pm and my kids wake up between 9 and 10. I think next summer I’ll send them to the church daycare (8 kids) total attend. For 18/day. Opinions? Oh and she was going to stay until monday evening so I could dye her hair for her and take her shopping but when I got home sunday she wouldn’t say a word to me and left.

Do what your happy with and what you want to do, they don’t pay your bills you do!

Yes definitely ask for more money

I was doing this same thing for 250 :rofl::rofl: key word “was!”

If they can get approved for assistance you could get possibly paid more through a program,just a suggestion

that is a total insult, and very disrespectful of them

1 Like

My best friend went through this exact same thing. First time she confronted her sister, her sister offered her another $100… Another year went by, and she confronted her again…
My friend had grown so attached to her niece and nephew, it was heartbreaking for her, but she had to tell her sister that she couldn’t do it anymore.
She actually enrolled in nursing school the next semester and is finishing that up now.

Its your life girl!!! Do YOU! You and your family are #1. PERIOD.

1 Like

Open discussion they are their kids their responsibility

You just need to be honest and tell them you are going to take another job

Say you can no longer do it … you need more money if they ask why

Hell I I babysit for .13cents an hour

You can get paid for watching others kids through the stare

Tell them what you told us.

I’d t ell them out right that u need more money or u can’t do it anymore. You gotta put yourself first.

Put yourself first!!! Take the offers

I have an inhome daycare in Ohio. Bottom rate is $140 per week per child. I offer a discount for 2nd child. I would look up daycare prices in your area and talk to them. On top of cleaning and any other things you do. Your time is worth more. Family or not.

$400 a month! For two kids? Gosh! Can you come work for me? :laughing: During this crazy pandemic, it may be better to stay with the current family. Put together a list of everything you do, the hours you put in, and a range of fair rates typically $15-$22 (depending on your experience and education). Present the current family with facts (no family emotional bs) and let them decide. If what they can do is not acceptable for you, find something else!

Babysitting is like $20 per hour. You are not even making 1/4 of that. Be honest and tell them you want to work in a place where you can make more money and grow ( professionally) .

Usually, when you watch kids for family, it is not expected to produce similar income to a job. It is most often more an act of love for family, and most often done because the parents of the kids can’t afford the full, regular cost of child care. If they COULD afford to pay it, they would surely choose to pay it to a facility that has professionals, programs, activities, etc. over paying the same amount to a family member keeping them in the home. It is usually win/win in the sense that they can save on child care, whilst the babysitting family member can make SOME money while they would have already been home. If you want/need the income of a job during this time, just let them know that you need to get a job. It’s not working for you, so the situation is no longer win/win.

$400 a month?!?!?! I’m not sure where you live but I have several friends here in MD that pay that or more in a week

$100 a week for 2 kids!?!?! :exploding_head::upside_down_face: say whattttt

You better get them to pay you what you should per hour or tell them you need another job altogether

I operate an in home daycare. I make less than $3 an hour per child. In home daycares are far less than commercial ones. Less overhead, etc. The parents do provide food, however. Imo, with you being family, I’m sure they feel they can get a “family discount”. If anything, they should certainly be providing food. What is their financial situation? How many hours a day to you have the children? Do they do any favors in return for you? But honestly, $4 an hour is right under what an actual in home daycare operator would make for two kids.

I mean you agreed to the paymrn9

Uhhhh take a job offer and live your best life :raised_hands:t3:

Just approach it as a business and state your hourly rate. Google what watching 3 kids in your zip code demands. Www.care.com has good tips as well.

If you want to keep the family waters calm, you could let the relative know you’re not able to meet your own family’s needs and make it a choice… Either you need more money from them or you need the ability to find a job that pays more. It’s so hard when it’s family, feelings get hurt all around. Good luck :heart:

Are you a teenager/ young adult whose babysitting/ helping for the family or an adult making a living. No I’m not being sarcastic, reason I ask is because when I was a teenager I helped out a single mom for as long as I could, money was decent but not what someone else would pay me but i genuinely wanted to help and of course I didn’t have to pay taxes on it because of my age. But as an adult, you can’t make a living on that amount of money and pay rent, bills, food etc. So I would say, sit down and talk with them (especially since they are family) and explain your concerns and see what they will be expecting when the new baby comes. Then either they’ll step up and work with you or you’ll have your answer and find another job. Good luck

Honestly, I would tell them that pretty soon you can no longer do it and that you are seeking a full time job for yourself. Maybe they will offer more money but the best thing is to get out of that situation and they are going to have to understand that life is a little more complicated than that. They can apply for school readiness assistance for day care help or they can pay a nanny. When it comes to family, always try to keep income and work separate from family. I know from experience. Tell them you can help them find someone and send me a DM and I will recommend someone that I know and they can contact her and I can also give you the school readiness website info for them. But my advice. Give them 2 weeks notice and get away from that situation no matter how much you feel bad and how much you want to help

I’d say it can’t continue. You love them dearly but you also need to focus on yourself and shouldn’t be refusing what you want for yourself. You can help but not to a point it may eventually break you down

2 Likes

400 a month? They are definitely taking advantage. Yes, they are family. But you need to make a living. You shouldn’t be turning down better opportunities. This is your life.

7 Likes

I used to babysit for $25 a day for one kid (only because I was already home) but we had an agreement that that they’d be picked up at 5:30. If mom was running late past 5:40 it was a dollar a for every 5 minute afterwards. It actually worked out pretty well. She was only late once or twice.

1 Like

Depends, if it’s all they can offer then I understand maybe they need the help but you still need to set boundaries, like you understand they are in a tight spot but after X amount of weeks you either need a pay increase or you need to get another job. If they live comfortably and choose not to pay you more then you are being taken advantage of. Atleast they could buy groceries for their kids, bring lunch for them so you could also throw that in there, that it is no longer financially viable for you to feed 2 extra kids. I did the same thing for 2+ months with my brother in laws kids because they were having “a tough time” in their relationship and they never offered me a DIME. I was being fucked royally. So I went back to work after having time off to have my OWN kid, best thing I ever did to end it.

At the very least you need to set boundaries on when you can care for the children and when they should be picked up. That way you can get an additional job if you need it. There is helping family, then there is being taken advantage of, this situation seems like its flirting with that line. Definitely address the additional work required when the new baby comes as well as additional payment that works for everyone.

You need to take care of you and yours,if a better job with more money comes along you should take it,if not ask for more $$ they would be paying a daycare around 400 a week per child.

Its family, you dont say how your related, can they afford more? If they are your grandkids say then surely itd be nice to have them not make them feel like you want the money instead. Are they entitled to anything they arent claiming like free childcare?
If your stuck for money and need to work for more then unfortunately theyl have to find someone else for those hours.

When I was 15 my uncle gave me 400 every 2 weeks to watch his kids. Which I was ok with because I was young and just starting out as a mom myself. I would say tell them you need more, or you’re gonna stop. 400 a month? That really ain’t even worth it.

I understand its family so , you wanna be far… the children should be 1 price and the cleaning is another charge… but 400 a month isn’t fair to you at all… i would just sit them down explain to them you need to find another job bc you can’t afford it on the pay they are paying you… as well as a set time to start and stop… if its later then the time that is extra money … for family on the low rate should be 25 dollars a day per child… at least . Second cleaning the house thats another hole rate … and a new born that has to be more per day … they will still save alot of money with those rate… so either explain to them its alot of work and not set times and your pay isn’t enough and you have to move on…

Sit down and have a conversation with them. Explain either you need more money or you’re taking a job and they need to find childcare for when your schedule conflicts.

They’re definitely taking advantage of you.
When my 2 youngest were being cared for I was paying $193 per day

If you don’t live with family it’s definitely not a fair trade and you deserve much more. You should ask for more and if they cannot or will not provide then they need to find someone else within a week so you can accept a job offer.

That is peanuts
I pay 25$ a day for 1 kid, and that’s getting childcare cheap where I’m from, they feed her but I provide food, and I make sure everyone’s schedual works
Tell them you are not making enough, and if they dont want to pay you more, give them a mths notice and line up a job for yourself, plus won’t one of them be home when the baby comes?!
Maybe that would be a good time to branch off on your own?

1 Like

I would just say ur gonna have to get a second job ends ain’t meeting right now. And if they really do need you they will say we can give you more. But I don’t see it being tht simple

$400 a month? Daycare where I live is that a week and that’s just at a daycare service, that’s not in home!

3 Likes

Give a 2 week notice that you are getting another job so they can find another babysitter then make it clear you wont be watching them anymore unless they increase the pay.

4 Likes

You can come be our nanny for MORE then that:) Wish I had that kind of help

1. They are family… so I wld cut some slack. 2. Did u hv this agreement b4 hand? $400 does seem alil low, but i think u should hv talked about it b4 hand. Just give her 2 week notice and do what u gotta do

If you like taking care of the kids, then do research on local rates. Sit down with them a present a new pay rate that works for you and is comparable to local rates.

ive done it $4 for 60 hours a week lol it depends on your feelings about it

They are lucky they have you. If it doesn’t work fir you, tell them you are moving to a new position. It’s your life

1 Like

I pay $1600 a month for one child, 24 hours per week (I only work 3 days per week). You are getting robbed.

For all you do,they should be paying you 800 a month

3 Likes

Sound like you already know that you need to leave. The going rate (low) for 1 kid is$30/day…

2 Likes

Can you afford to not have the extra $400?

Quit babysitting, you are worth more than $4.00 an hr

Wow! We pay $780 a month for one kid.

You need to have a chat with them that you need way more money than that or give them notice to get someone else. Dont give up on other opportunities tho

More money or goodbye

Nope. Wouldnt do it.

I pay $400 a month for two days of daycare a week and even I know that I’m lucky but my babysitter is retired and already home watching her grandchildren. What they’re paying you is NOT enough.

Are you living with them rent free or something I feel like there is an element left out of this story. Especially if you are turning down jobs

They are really under paying u.
My kids attended a day care an I am paying 460.00 for 5 days m-f 7am-530pm
for both kids I provide diapers food bottles clothes but they are in a learning environment at their current day care.
At an at home provider I use to use she only charged 35.00 from 6am-6pm m-f but I provided everything clothes food diapers in that sense it was more of just someone to look after my 1 kid @ the time but that was also her set rate not mine.
So u should tell them u need an increase in pay or you’re looking into jobs that can support your need for income

Get a full time job with benefits. It is not your responsibility. Do it NOW before they guilt you with a new child. You being soft and cheap is why they went for a third child to begin with!

My family has been doing free care but it’s only 16 hours a month, every other weekend for 4 hours each