I watch my relatives kids and feel like I am being taken advantage of: Advice?

Give them a calendar date and tell them that’s the last day you will “work” for them. (Just like quitting a job). That will give them time to find someone else for childcare. Then go find yourself something you want to work at that pays better for you.

You may be taken advantage of to a certain degree, mostly financially. Be thankful you’re being paid, don’t forget about us that watched or watch a kid or kids for nothing. Yes, for free! lol. I can’t blame anyone, but myself on that one, but I took care of the problem, I quit watching them! lol As for you, You’re gonna have to ask for more or quit watching them. I’d Ask first if you would like to continue watching them, then I’d go from there. If they’re willing to help out more financially, then you may want to continue watching them, but if not you’re gonna have to tell them you can’t continue watching them.

If you live with them and eat from there fridge then I wouldn’t be asking for a big raise. If you live on your own then definitely!!!

Think about yourself and what you want out of life. They have sitters everywhere

Do. What. Is. Right. For. You. You. Got. Your. Baby. To. Think. About.

I’m not even thinking about what you make. If you’re expecting, you need to have a conversation now about how things will go when the baby comes. You NEED time off! Give them a quit date so they have time to make other arrangements. And while you’re at it, tell them you’re considering not babysitting any more. Then have a real discussion about what things will look like in the future if you decide to continue.
I’m a babysitter myself. I have been doing it off and on for 17 years. During that time I had 6 kids of my own. Babysitting is not a corporate job. You CAN set your own hours, take the amount of time off that you need. But as a good sitter, you need to have the hard conversations…in advance. I can’t tell you how many kids I’ve gotten from other sitters who gave their families notice on a Friday that they had a new job starting on Monday and they wouldn’t be watching kids anymore. That’s really not fair either!

This is my opinion. They are family, I wouldn’t even charge them and accept what they would give me BUT my time is worth more than any $ and if I would be struggling with time and be overwhelmed, I would just tell them I can no longer babysit.

I would tell them they need to make other arrangements because you can no longer afford to support them.

Yes taking advantage I pay 550 a month for 1 child

You’re being completely robbed

Put your foot down. I would ask for more or limit my hours

You definitely aren’t getting enough. I’m glad they give you something though. They need to stop relying on you. You’re going to have to talk to them and let them know you are going to have to get a job and it will conflict with your ability to watch them as often. If they can’t afford to pay any more (i get it, I couldn’t afford daycare with my job either) they will need to apply for assistance. I dont know your location, but if in the U S they can try to apply for state assistance. And if they are approved even you could do some classes and try to be approved to receive the states payments for watching them if you want to go that route. I bet you’d get more than $400 a month. Look into it, it might be a win/win for the both of you. But obviously this will take time and they have to be approved by the state for either free or reduced daycare benefits. It wouldn’t hurt to try or at least help them in the right direction, so you can actually earn money as you’re probably spending more than $400 a month on food let alone if you ever have to supply clothes, diapers, wipes, equipment, etc…