I wrote in a non bio father on my kids birth certificate and need to change it

It differs in every state. I would contact your state

Consult. An. Attorney. rather than consulting a Facebook group based on thoughts & opinions :woman_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

When you apply for the bc. You can also apply for the last name change as well

You will have to get a lawyer

Google the state you live in change name of a minor

Actually now your probably going to have to prove it!! Your screwed!!

Use a scare tactic :rofl: tell him if he refuses to sign the paper work then you’ll have to get him for child support. That’ll be a whole other issue. Maybe light a fire under his ass.🤷

Vital statistics office

Start at the county clerks office. They will have the forms you need. You may need to get a lawyer to help you file.

Yeah that’s tough. You can get a birth certificate from vitalchek.com But since he signed, you would basically have to pay for a paternity test (and somehow get his dna) to prove he’s not the father. My daughters father signed an acknowledgment of paternity at the hospital, then he tried to tell the attorney generals office he wanted a dna test. They said since he signed that form it’s basically tough luck

Let me make sure I have the facts:

You illegally falsified an official government document, and now you’re needing help on how to cover your tracks?:grimacing:

You have to go to court

You must establish correct paternity

You can’t.
You can not just change a name without proof of paternity and a court order. And tben the judge doesnt have to grant it

Legal name change cost $250-$300.

Depends on the state. Michigan would be very difficult to change

Go to the clerks office at the court house

Wait so you put your boyfriend a fresh boyfriend on your child’s birth certificate instead of the child’s actual father? I mean karma’s a bitch. The only thing you can do is take that to court and do a DNA test to prove that hes not her father

You need to get it together.

You have to file with the court

Would a paternity test be helpful? Could he be forced to take one?

Go to family court and file for full custody.

Hire an attorney and file child support-

Knowing putting the wrong person on a birth certificate is a crime where I live. I would contact an attorney to see what your best bet is and so you can try to stay out of trouble.

Good luck momma and keep your head up.

You don’t need him to get her birth certificate if your name is on their too

I’m not sure where you’re from but in my state that would be a felony so I would consult a lawyer.

You’re better off giving her your last name.

I had to go to the town hall fill out paperwork, work with a lawyer to have it notarized to have the last name changed and then resubmit the paperwork to the town hall. Maybe ask the town hall in the town she was born in for the appropriate paperwork for a last name name change and their requirements?

JUST DONA LEGAL NAME CHANGE - it’s like $100 - $200 dollars and they’ll ask for a reason and you can put the whole truth or half the truth - whatever - he’s abusive and you left him and you don’t wish for your kid to carry on an abuser’s last name!

I’ve changed my name twice and my one sons name twice also!

Our first surname, my father’s surname is from his father (obvi) n I found out that dude was a rapist bastard (I wrote THAT as the reason) and I found that out AFTER my first son was born so I has already put the rapists surname ON my sons birth certificate.

Long story short… we changed our surnames to my sons second middle name… both of us. so I was RRF & my son was CJPF… we legally changed our names and became RRP & CJP… then when i “became married” (common law) 10 years n y’think it’s “for life” → so delusional lol aaanywaaay

When our other two sons were born, we wished to have all of us with the same surname… so I became RRO and my son CJPO … birth certificate changes and everything… you’ll get a name change certificate.

It’s not like that dude in there is going to try and take your kid from you at some point n time down the road… he’s NOT THE BIO DAD so… tell everyone here to STFU … just legally change the surname and leave his stupid name of the irrelevant birth certificate… if the douchebag WERE EVER TO DO something stupid on the future…just go to the police and AGAIN tell The TRUTH … “this is what I did/this is why/he’s abusive/I’m scared/didn’t know what to do” etc

1 Like

If he’s not on the birth certificate and she only has his last name because that’s what you wrote as her name, all you have to do is request a name change. Tell them you want her to have your last name and that’s it.

I went through something similar with my oldest daughters dad. He screwed up the paperwork for adding him to the birth certificate so it got rejected but the part we filled out at the hospital (her name) was kept the same. He ended up getting abusive shortly after she was born so I never added him to the birth certificate but she still had his last name.

If it’s soon enough after they send the birth certificate for finalization, you can tell them they made an error (this happened with my daughter, they actually wrote her middle name wrong) and that it needs to be changed and they’ll fix it. If you’ve already sent that paperwork back or thrown it out, you’ll have to petition a name change with the court. Just Google how to do that in your state.

Go after him for child support. He’ll change his mind

7 Likes