I'd like to ask for reviews for an anti depressant i just started taking

I’m 27 years old. I was prescribed adderall for 9 years, 30mg 2X a day, after about 5 years i began abusing it and taking way too much. The past 2-3 years i was taking 90-120mg a day and just began spinning circles. im 5ft 2 inches and weigh about 125. Nobody my size should ever be taking that much adderall a day. I have 3 babies, my oldest is five. Last year my daughter was born two months early and was in nicu for 2 months (shes perfectly healthy now turning 1 in two weeks) after that i just hit my rock bottom, eating adderall like candy, being rude and just plain mean to everyone in my house.started gambling, drinking, distancing myself from family and friends… a HOT mess to say the least. In june, I left my babies and fiance and went to rehab for 3 weeks and was properly diagnosed with depression with adhd symptoms but i got a new doctor and expressed to him i cannot take stimulants so he prescribed me wellbutrin. Im on day 4 and all i feel so far, is im not energized alll day but cant sleep at night. My depression is not sad. For the most part, im not sad. Ive never been suicidal or anything like that. Im just physicallly drained everyday for no reason, i feel mentally paralyzed, have absolutely no interest in doing things i love. Even brushing my hair feels like a job. So anyways my doc says that this wellbutrin is going to help and i hope it does and ive been reading all these reviews on google but feel like none of them particularly relate to my situation. Everyone thats taken it on google seems to have had MAJOR depression and other mental illnesses that i just dont relate to so wondering if this group can help me out with some more relatable reviews…
I always read the discussions on here and it seems alot of people know what theyre talking about so help a sista out
Im like extremely anxious for this to change my life but nervous cause i dont know what to expect.

31 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. I'd like to ask for reviews for an anti depressant i just started taking - Mamas Uncut

Talk to your doctor about a mood stabilizer

1 Like

It takes around 4 weeks for any antidepressant to stabilize within your body so it may just need more time to work & changes may need to be made to the kind or MG before it’s the right fit for you.

2 Likes

If you have a history of abusing medications I would 100% not recommend Wellbutrin. The only reason I even know what it is is because when my addict ex husband got out of rehab that’s what he was being prescribed and he was snorting it and blowing through his script.

1 Like

Just so you know, most antidepressants take 4-6 weeks to take full effect. When I started taking Luvox, I was put on a sleeping pill (zopoclone) for the first 4 weeks as trouble sleeping is one of the symptoms. Also, not all antidepressants work for everybody. I took 3 different ones til I found one that works for me.

1 Like

Following. My dr also wants to put me on Wellbutrin

Hang in there! It can take a few weeks for your antidepressant to start being effective.

Give it about 1 month. I take the same meds for my depression. (My job caused it). It started giving me energy (even helped stop me smoking) around that time. Don’t give up. Try an energy drink, vitamin b12 etc. Call your doctor and let them know so maybe they can also help.

I’ve been on Wellbutrin for years. It takes up to a month for it to fully get into your system, for awhile you will be tired, but as your body adjusts to it it will get better. I can’t sleep at night and they prescribed
Me hydroxozine for that. Definitely talk to your doctor and see what they can do to help you with sleep.

1 Like

You have to give any med 4 to 6 weeks to fully get into your system to get full benefits of the medication

1 Like

Honey give it at least 3 weeks before you write it off. Let your body adjust to it. And it’s going to feel different until you get used to your new normal. You got help, you are willing to try different meds. I’d say you are on the right track. Just take it easy and slowly. Set yourself a 10 minute goal each day to complete.

1 Like

I’ve taken Wellbutrin before. Actually it was the first anti depressant I ever tried. I wasn’t suicidal either or a major depressive. A lot of the same symptoms you described. Plus I have horrible anxiety. It does help but it will take several weeks to really get into your system. But everyone is different and you may have to try others to see which one best suites you but just give it time. I have also been on cymbalta and I’m now on Effexor.

I am on it and I like it. I only have mild depression but kinda like you just feel blah and don’t feel like doing anything. I do well on it. I had been prescribed other things and had side effects. Didn’t like them.

You need a good 6 weeks for meds to take full effect and months to adjust to life while living with an addiction and not going back to it

Welbutrin will take atleast 4 weeks to start showing any sort of help. I will say welbutrin is not a control and it won’t “fix” your depression and adhd. What welbutrin does is react with your serotonin(hormone) and can help stabilize your natural serotonin by using that.

My doctor gave this to me to speed me up I’m a recovering addict and refuse to take it or anything that speeds me up

1 Like

Talk to your doctor about different medication options. Atomoxetine (Strattera(R)) is a selective norepinephrine (noradrenaline) reuptake inhibitor that is not classified as a stimulant, and is indicated for use in patients with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Atomoxetine is effective and generally well tolerated.

There are lots of options. Finding the right balance is key. Good luck.

Been on tons and tons of medication since I was 14. I have several mental health issues. It takes up to 6 weeks for medication to actually work. I know it sucks in the mean time. Also there is non stimulant ADHD medicine you can take,like Strattera. I would ask about that. My brother has bad ADHD and he could only take non stimulant due to a severe heart condition. Don’t get discouraged if the wellbutrin doesn’t work. You sometimes have to keep trying different medication till you find what works with your body. Good luck xx

Well hun, it’s going to take your brain awhile to adjust after taking all the Adderall. It’s the same with meth addiction. It’s just going to take awhile for you to feel “normal”. But you got this! I took wellbutrin for awhile and it helped. But you probably need a mood stabilizer as well. As for above comments, I have no idea why anyone would abuse wellbutrin other than they are truly stupid and addicted to just anything. Best of luck to you and feel free to reach out!

I kinda did the same thing as you. I struggle with depression and dealing with adhd. I had no motivation or focus. Everything was a chore never slept constantly tired but no sleep. Wellbutrin is a great first step. I take stratera for adhd it is none stimulant and has a antidepressant mixed with it. I sleep well I take at night and sleep well finally after so long. I also take topamax. I love this combination. Still struggle a little with energy but I’m more motivated and focused to get things done.

also it may take awhile to find a medication that will work for you. Please don’t give up. I take two kinds for day and a different one at night to sleep. Please let your doctor know what works and what doesn’t and keep trying. you are worth it.

Read the book take the test and the results will tell what brain chemicals you are not producing naturally and recommendations for vitamin and amino acids you need to take. Really works!

You have to give her medication at least two months if it does not work try another to you find the right one for you it took me almost 9 months to find the right one for me

What you describe about way you feel is depression, I do hope thus new medication works for you

I was put on that for my depression. Severe depression. And it took about 2 weeks for me to feel a little better and about a month for me to feel normal again. It worked. I thought I’d never feel normal again.

I take Prozac AND Abilify !!! The Prozac seems to energize me and the abilify added brought me out of my slump. It’s changed my life !!!

I was taking 60 mg of adderall a day for about 10 years. If you’ve taken any kind of stimulant for a long period of time, it’s going to take you a WHILE before you get your natural energy back. I also went from adderall to 300 mg of wellbutrin a day and I’m FINALLY starting to feel somewhat normal and I switched meds in June. Hang in there Mama, it gets better.

1 Like

Are you engaging in counseling/therapy at all? Have you tried a good exercise routine? Drinking enough water? Healthy diet?

I’m on welbutrin! It takes about 3 weeks to see it start working, HOWEVER bad symptoms may present within days. So please call your doctor and see what they’d like you to do. Chances are they’ll just give you a sleep aid and continue to see how welbutrin does.

Personally it’s just starting to work for me. Every day I feel a little bit better, but that didn’t start happening until like 2 and a half weeks in. It was confirmed around the 3 week mark.

You will withdrawal from wellbutrin, just so you know. All medications are bad for you, but you gotta find the one that’s worth it. I was like you with adderall for 3 years, absolutely wrecked. After you stop taking adderall it can take years to get back to normal. My recommendation is that you stop doing any medications, get coq10 it’s a brain function vitamin, I cant even without it, it helps a lot. You still have to push yourself to do things, but it will eventually become habit. I mean life isnt easy, it’s not supposed to be easy. You just gotta do it.

First off-:clap:t3: good for you going to rehab, and congratulations on your sobriety! Advice-Give yoour body time, June isn’t that long ago-give your body time to heal, it will take a little while for you to get back on normal sleeping schedule etc. Also, most antidepressants take at least 2-3 weeks to get in your system and level out. And after then, if you still don’t feel like it’s working for you, talk to your doctor about other options! :heart:

I’m on Wellbutrin and abilify. The Wellbutrin alone, made me feel like a zombie. They tried elixir combined with it, and it made me deathly sick. The abilify has helped tremendously. Wellbutrin also made me restless, possibly talk to you doctor about your side effects, and see if there’s anything they can prescribe to combat it!

See a psychiatrist not general practitioner. Vir takes time for the body to adjust. D finitely talk to your doctor

I took Wellbutrin and it was the best one for me. I was also abusing pills for a few years before I was on it. I would recommend talking to your doctor about a sleep aid for the night time. I had problems sleeping while I took it.

Sounds like you’re physically drained because your body is still recovering from the addiction. I know people who took a year to recover to a point of back to energy and some normalcy. New meds also can have different affects on people. Keep going, you got this. One day at a time. :heart:

It’s going to take a while for your body and brain to adjust to being without a stimulant. Give yourself time to heal. :v::heart: :grin:

Good job on going to rehab and getting help! You are strong, I hope they find what works for you soon!

My daughter has ADHD tendencies/anxiety/depression. Prozac is the only medication she has been successful with. She did try Wellbutrin but it was not effective. I am on Wellbutrin and Lexapro which has been successful thus far. It takes time for them to kick in, but keep paying attention and let your doctors know if it just doesn’t feel right. You know your body. Hugs!

I’ve worked in mental health for years( I’m a certified DSP, CMA, and licensed Med Tech) and I’m a nursing student. Wellbutrin can take several weeks to be fully in your system with satisfactory results(2-4 weeks). It’s usually 72 hours when it’s actually in your blood stream at the proper dosage and then goes a those weeks before it’s noticeable. If you don’t feel improvement by your 3 week, contact your doctor. They may need to change things around or add it 2x daily(morning & night). 4 days is not enough time for your body to recognize medication that is (long lasting), unlike Antibiotics. Make yourself proactive during the day.

If this does not seem to be working after 2-4 weeks then I recommend talking to your doctor about Prozac and ability. Lithium is a big, promising medication used to treat depression, bipolar, aggression and etc. I’ve seen it work WONDERS on my patients.

Don’t lose hope. Things will get better. It just takes time.

1 Like

You need to draw strength from yourself and not a bottle. Eat and drink juice and fruit vegetable natural things good luck

Awesome first steps… I took my son off all his add meds a couple of years ago, after my step son died, his twin brother informed me and his dad (my husband) how neither him or his brother ever learned to deal with life due to always being on some sort of medication. Both became street addicts and neither had the ability to function without “being medicated”… The building blocks of life was removed and in its place was adderall… My son may struggle but has learned to develop in his own way, like most people do…my heart goes out to those who have been over prescribed and never had the ability to learn how to function without being medicated… Accept the fact you have low energy days… Embrace the good days… We all have these days, it is normal… Do not get down on yourself for being sober and actually “normal” … We are all tired and overwhelmed at times, I think once we realize this life gets better on the inside… My step son is now doing much better and I am thankful to him for explaining the situation, I am still so incredibly sad it took the loss of his brother for us to grasp what happened and why it happened… Good luck to you…

1 Like

I take Adderall 20mg twice a day. I’ve been on all antidepressants including Wellbutrin. All I can say is the withdrawal from Adderall will last atleast a week, this is normal symptoms of that! Wellbutrin supposedly gives you energy but it never did me, and withdrawal was horrible from all antidepressants. Try taking b12 vitamins and hopefully you have a good support system to help with the household and kids. Rest and sleep! You can do it! You will feel better from the Adderall withdrawal in a week or two! That’s amazing you are taking the right steps to get off of the medication! Trust me, it’s a struggle daily for me as well! You are not alone!

I take zoloft and wellbutrin. I’ve had the same problem as you and it helped me so much

My doctor gave me this to quit smoking. It didn’t work for that at all and made me fly into black out rages

you will pay for the withdrawal from Wellbutrin, I think I would ask for something else first, or seek a psychiatrist that will prescribe something different

2 Likes

I take wellbutrin, take it twice a day, a.m. and 2 p.m., works just fine for me

It doesn’t actually get in your system for like 2 weeks. I take it and it works for me I’ve stopped taking it a few times and never had withdrawals or anything

Are you sure you have ADHD or do you actually have ADD? I ask this because stimulants like Adderall do not get a person with ADHD energy, it actually does the opposite and slows them down so that they can concentrate for longer periods of time. Thats why you hear of ADHD patients taking Adderall walking around like zombies sometimes, especially children. If you were getting energized and being to abuse Adderall (basically getting high) then I’m pretty positive you were misdiagnosed. It’s awesome that you got help and recognized you can no longer use stimulants. With that being said, now that you are clean your brain now needs to get back to producing serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine on its own and at regular interval levels. The Adderall tricked your brain into over producing all those chemicals which can cause them to shut down entirely. It can take many months and even years to recover. Sometimes other medication can make that process take longer. In all honesty there is no better medicine to recover from drug abuse than a healthy lifestyle and exercise. Exercise even minimally like going for a daily stroll/walk will get your brain to naturally produce those chemicals needed and get you back to normal. Seeing that you’re not necessarily sad or suicidal, this would be your fastest and safest course of action. You’ll surprised at how much better you’ll start to feel even after just a short week of going for a walk. It will take a lot of effort at first, you will have to work up all the energy you can muster so maybe skip the hair combing and save the effort for a walk. Good luck and feel free to message me if you like

4 Likes

I took Wellbutrin years ago and it made me so jittery that I had to stop. Even the lowest dose. I have been on Celexa for years now and I love it. Dosen’t make me hyper or tired.

See a therapist and a psychiatrist, not a general practice doctor. You’re gonna need therapy in addition to your medication.

Doctors always want to prescribe pills, which only try to address the symptoms. The healthcare system is not focused on finding the actual CAUSE of the symptoms. Over the past 10 years, I have found that many symptoms can be traced back to diet. Are you gluten intolerant? Or maybe sensitive to something else you’re eating? Red 40, a class of foods called nightshades, or lactose? Please examine your diet and try to find the real cause of your symptoms, before you take a pill that just masks them…and causes all manner of side effects.

4 Likes

Taking Adderall is also known as methamphetamines. It is the main reason ppl abuse it and becomes addicting. You are taking the necessary steps already. I have 2 kids on it and even if they are prescribed 2x of the dosages, I’ve only given them 1/2. I don’t want them numb, just a bit to be able to handle them. It is a very addicting prescription. It is a popular drug as well among college students too. Give it a week to 2 weeks for your body to adjust from being off it. Nothing anyone says will be easy, just take it one day at a time. If it was giving u tons of energy then this was not your medication to begin with. A proper assessment should be done while in rehab hun. You might not even have adhd and it could be ADD or even ODD. Stay strong, you can do this, never doubt yourself

I feel very exhausted all the time. I too take Wellbutrin some days it’s helpful some days I sleep the day away.

1 Like

It takes a while for antidepressants to actually work, but you may benefit from seeing a psychiatrist instead of a MD for medication. Also, when you’re coming off amphetamines, your body and mind take a lot longer than you would think to recover. Congrats on your time, ma! Just try taking it easy as best you can and hydrate a lot!

I recommend Zoloft. Hate Wellbutrin. Along with therapy every week and medication things got better. Wishing you luck on your journey to mental health wellness!

1 Like

I take Paxil (paroxetine) for depression and it’s supposed to help ADHD too. I’m on a maintenance dose, so very little and I still have a lot of ADHD. Can’t find a doc (tried 3-4) to prescribe meds just for ADHD; they say I’m too old for it to work right. :woman_shrugging:

Like you I was depressed. Not suicidal just not energy. I was out on Lexapro and it helped me. Took a but to get into my system but once there I felt better. Vit B12 helps too

Lexapro is a good drug for depression, Anxiety etc. I had to stop taking it because it made my Blood Pressure High…BUT it definitely help my depression. Try that one if you can it really helps. Good Luck…you will be fine, one day at a time!!!:+1::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Have you tried medical marijuana instead of big pharma? Might want to try it!

2 Likes

A body in motion stays in motion and A body in rest stays in rest hun. Make a List of easy things you want to get done. Start with simple things that you’ll get through quickly and physically mark them off your list as you go. Keeping your self busy and being able to see your progress by checking things off will help. I know it sounds crazy but I swear by it. Each day make your list a little longer with a little harder things. Your mind won’t be able to dwell on your situation when it’s focused on a chore. I typically make the first day a self care list so take that amazing shower, clean up your nails or eye brows, organize something that’s simply for you, ECT. Just accomplishing small feats like that when I’m depressed really helps me

7 Likes

Give it more time, your body will adjust.

I was on that and hated it. Only because I started having severe stomach pains from it as a side effect.

I also used to take that and I didnt care about anyone or anything in my life it seemed to have me numb…I didnt have any feelings about anything I took myself off that stuff

I took Wellbutrin for 2 weeks years ago and I puked every single day. It’s good for some, but Jesus it was hell for me.

Sounds like u have severe anxiety

I do want to say that prescriptions can take 2 to 4 weeks to fully kick in and become adjusted to. I took lexapro this year the max dose of 20mg for a while to get me through some hard stuff along with Ativan. For a while I did use hydroxoyzine(spell check) to fall asleep or calm down and I’ve detoxed off it now fully since my life has stabilized.There no shame in treating yourself. It does take patience and self love.

Your doing great by trying to be better.

2 Likes

I take fluoxetine and have for a few years. It helps me a lot and it’s noticeable. I used to smoke weed to help with depression and anxiety I always stop when I’m pregnant and everytime I start up again I get paranoid anxious lol so the fluoxetine ia what really is consistent and helps. I took Wellbutrin in highschool and it made me like a zombie

I take Zoloft and really like it

So from my own experience If your a person who benefits from stimulants it’s not cause of depression….more of autoimmune or nerve issues. And I hate stimulants being used cause I can tell you I’m a recovering meth addict due to this reason.

I have been on more than 6 types of meds for depression and anxiety

Wellbutrin did nothing for me but everyone has a different reaction. I find Paxil to work best for me. It helped tremendously with my post partem depression 25 years ago and I am taking it again for depression & anxiety. It’s working just as well the 2nd time around.

Never taken them personally but any med takes time to work. 4 days is not long enough to judge.
Keep taking them as prescribed for a few weeks then see how you feel. Maybe ask the Dr to reduce dosage or change meds if you don’t feel better …but you have to give it long enough to work
Best of luck

Wellbutrin takes around 2-4 weeks to get into your system and become effective.
The first couple weeks can be a bit tough as your body adjusts to it. Ask your doctor about taking something like melatonin to help you sleep at night during this time.

I’ve been where you are.
Like, EXACTLY where you are.
The way I quit was A LOT more drastic, but nonetheless, I was forced to quit.
I’ll have 6 years sober next October.
The problem is we self medicate because we don’t realize that we are suffering from an underlying mental health issue (AND THAT IS NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED OF. )
I’m proud of you, whoever you are, for putting this out there. Believe it or not, this might show someone else that they are not alone in what they are going through.
Okay, so for me-
I came clean with my primary care provider. Took a lot of guts but I did it.
We tried a few things, now I’m on Lamictal (which is a mood stabilizer) and Effexor (which is an antidepressant).
I go to meetings.
I have accountability partners.
I call myself out REAL QUICK when I start getting thoughts or entertaining ideas I know I shouldn’t.
I see a therapist.
I have an awesome support system and I think that has been one of the most important tools I have.
I don’t know you, but if you ever need to talk or vent or have questions or just need an accountability partner, message me.
You got this. And remember YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

5 Likes

Viibryd for depression
Xanax for anxiety

Think positive and expect the best. It took me a long time to find the right meds. Prayers for you!

look into microdosing mushrooms. It works in a short amount of time (2 weeks) and many times only needs to be done once.

I was on Wellbutrin for a good many years, eventually it stopped being effective so i was switched to Prestiq. When I started suffering from insomnia my Dr added Trazadone before bed. It is also for depression but has a sleepiness side affect. Look into additional thing like this. I did first start trying Melatonin and Valerian root as natural supplements. But needed something stronger. I’m also fighting menopause and a whacky thyroid so additional issues also causing sleeplessness. Good luck

Any prescription anti depressant takes up to 3 weeks to actively work.
I was on wellbutrin for quite some time and it helped some but other days really didnt. but the biggest side effect is lack of sex drive. I am now on viibryd and love it.
No nasty effects and much more stable

Personally, (I’m 4’11) and welbutrin doesn’t work for me. It works for my, mom, dad, grandpa, step dad… not me… I mean it helped a bit… but Personally I felt I needed something else… not here’s the kicker… you haveee to give this at LEAST 30 days till its truly in your system. Its not about the days… its about the pattern! You have to stick with this routine, and keep trying! Don’t give up! They take awhile level out and give yourself grace! If it doesn’t feel like its working or whatever, still give it 45-60 days…
If you plateau and nothing works, then move towards trying something different! Bless you for trying, just hang in there!

1 Like

I have been taking it for years I take a very low dose and it gets rid of anxiety and I have had no problems with it

Everyone is different. A lot of people love it! Everyone reacts differently. I would say try it and see how you feel. I heard horror stories about zoloft but it has been a total game changer for me and I have no big side effects.

You have to give ANY antidepressants at least 2 weeks to make a major change. But if you don’t feel any better after two weeks I would definitely tell your doctor that you don’t feel that it is doing it’s job. That being said. I feel that Zoloft worked best for me. And my depression presents itself very similarly.

1 Like

It takes a couple of weeks to get in your system. The first few weeks was tough all I wanted to do was sleep I was so tired! I take it twice a day my doctor told me to make sure I didn’t take my second dose in the evening because that is one of the side effects was insomnia

Adderall is just like meth

1 Like

Exact scenario with the adderall, I was prescribed other medications until recently, I started Wellbutrin in February. First of all, congratulations on recognizing and getting yourself help.
Second, it could take up to a year or more for the chemicals and chemistry in your body and brain to readjust and start producing things on its own. Changes are not going to be overnight. Hang tight and trust the process. I’m proof of it.

Im on 150 of wellbutrin and so far it’s been working but does take a good 4-6 weeks to actually feel the affects of it

1 Like

Give it time. It takes time to notice gradual changes/improvements. I can take 6-8 weeks for your interest and so on to improve

Well I’d like to say it’s a life saver… unfortunately I was allergic to it and broke it in hives… good luck I hope it’s helps you

1 Like

Give it time. Also take a 10 minute walk and it opens the brain.

I have depression and ADD without hyperactivity. I was on Adderrall but stopped taking it due to pregnancy which I will start taking it again after the babies born. I am on Wellbutrin 300mg per day and it has helped me better than any other antidepressant I’ve been on. I was on Effexor for a year prior to going on the Wellbutrin and it made me so irritable and mean. I’ve been on Prozac, Paxil, Celexa, Lexapro. You haven’t been on it long. It generally takes about 30 days being on any antidepressant before you actually start feeling the effects of it. Plus, you’ll most likely need dosage adjustments until you get to where you need to be. It can take some time but don’t give up. The lack of energy and everything else are all symptoms of depression and could also be from your body still adjusting to not having those constant stimulants. Hang in there. It does get better. I hope things improve for you soon.

With wellbutrin i would try taking it in the morning and seeing if that helps…its the only way i could take it and feel somewhat normal during the day

I love welbutrin I can tell a difference almost immediately it may take longer for you to feel the effects of the welbutrin as well as you may need a higher dose because of all the adderall you’ve been taking was causing your body to produce more serotonin which makes you happy and gives you energy so now your body has to kinda relearn to make its own and release it as needed . But if you don’t think it’s working then talk to your doctor I can take months of trial and error before finding the right medication that works for your bodies chemistry

I dont have personal experience. But I think you may be in withdrawal from the adderall. So it may take longer to get right. Up to a year to recover mentally. I have had addiction to lortab years ago. Wellbutrin made my anxiety worse.

It takes time for it to get into your system. It’s not like Adderall. Antidepressants have to build up in your system to be effective. Give it 4-6 weeks for full effects and then talk to your doctor about hoping the dose of it doesn’t feel like enough. It’s in a class by itself and usually great for women, less side effects than others. It also helps control addictive behavior. They use it to help people quit smoking. Please just give it time to work. Don’t go off it without talking to your doctor and take it as prescribed.

Talk to your doctor if you’re having side effects. There are lots of alternatives.

Try cbd . It works wonders