If I go on vacation with the family I nanny for, would I need to watch their kids 24/7?

Just ask first befo u think it’s your own vacation I would smh

1 Like

Your time is worth money, so if they expect 24/7 they should pay as such.

Just a simple conversation with you asking , what would be expected of you and would you have more responsibility and hours , ? Yes it’s that simple

1 Like

How many pages are you going to post this on ?
Just saw you post this on ’ nails to die for ’ page seriously?

On vacation I work average of 12 hour days and 100$ per night instead of hourly for nights. That’s me and I’ve been a nanny 15 years, good luck!

6 Likes

Honestly, ASK about their plans. Would they need you daily/nightly??

3 Likes

Just ask them what the expectations will be

6 Likes

Ask them, make sure your expectations are well known!

3 Likes

I have a good friend that is a Nanny. She usually addresses things like this when they work out a contract. I can say she gets a different rate if pay (higher) when traveling. She did have time off.

3 Likes

I say no… Take your own vacation.

4 Likes

Just ask is it business or pleasure…lolol

3 Likes

If is 24/7 they’ll have to pay you some serious money, including OT and can’t say they’re paying for your stay, etc…they have a need for childcare, you didn’t ask to go on vacation. It is important that you establish all of that prior to any commitment. As much as you care for the children, it needs to be treated as a business transaction. Also ask for separate room so in case you’re not used 7/24, you can have your own time and space. After discussing you can decide if you’ll go or not. Good luck!

the best thing would to sit and talk with the parents. If they expect 24/7 care they need to increase your rates. More than likely it will be 24/7 care since they are bringing you with them, especially if they are paying for your airfare, food and boarding. Negotiate a higher rate for the extra time.

6 Likes

Nothing you can do but ask

1 Like

Stay home and rest unless you need the cash

Just talk it out and set the parameters before the trip.

2 Likes

Ask them is the invite job related.

1 Like

Yup stay home and rest lol

1 Like

That’s a question that you would have to ask them…

1 Like

The best way to find out, is to ask them what they are expecting.

4 Likes

Why aren’t u asking them? Lol.

6 Likes

A contract needs to be decided before you leave.

6 Likes

Ask them if its 24/7 decline and book your own holiday for a week :blush:

4 Likes

Would it be a vacation for you watching the kids 24/7!
If you can afford it take your own mini vacation & be fresh when they return!

1 Like

Ask them, what you need to do Simple

1 Like

I think since they are asking and not requiring you to travel with them they just want to include you in their family trip because maybe instead of them looking at you as the nanny they see you as part of the family. In that case I would definitely decline the trip and enjoy a week off to yourself without tending to children. I would definitely discuss it with them and find out for sure what their intentions are.

2 Likes

Naturally you will take on the responsibility out of habit so either prepare yourself with prep talks or you obviously will be expected from 9-5 right. However after hrs is time and a half and some good times​:sunglasses::grin:

1 Like

They’re asking you because they’ll need your assistance as your their in home nanny

2 Likes

Thats going to be a big pay packet if they want you 24/7 :slight_smile:

Yup, you’re only there so they can enjoy their vacation.

1 Like

Ask them set up guide lines like ur regular 9-5 but 1 day u be off in a.m. and watch the kids for them to have a date night. If they don’t agree, don’t go

2 Likes

Think of it as a working vaca? Talk to them

Definitely ask them what their expectations are. The last thing you want it to show up and have different agendas.

4 Likes

Why you think they want you a long . Because they want you to baby sit while they go out . Its best to buy your owe ticket. Because that ticket they buying for you will turn you into a slave.

3 Likes

You’re an employee they will expect you to work but you need to ask to get clarity.
I wouldn’t go.

1 Like

Here’s a thought, ASK

4 Likes

Simply ask them what the expectations are of you on the trip and go from there. Obviously they will want you to babysit so they can do whatever but tell them that you want to have time off too not a 24/7 thing. Give them some nights to go enjoy the evening allowing you to shave the morning or afternoon off so you can enjoy some of the vacation too

2 Likes

Um here is a thought you talk to them instead of the general public :thinking:

5 Likes

Ask them. Are you asking me to watch the kids? Or am I on vacation too.

1 Like

Are they paying for the trip? Are you getting paid? Ask them the hours you’ll be working. Really think this through

2 Likes

No one here can answer that

That’s a question for your employer…

19 Likes

Ask The Parents Their Intentions Of U Going So There Is No Misunderstanding

6 Likes

I’d say if there paying for everything like.food and hotel or what not then yes… if your paying out of pocket I’d say 9 to 5. Ask them

Ask your employer only way to get the correct answer.

3 Likes

You would probably want to ask your employer

You’re also going on vacation, make sure they understand that you wouldn’t mind a day of freedom.

Don’t go! Run put your feet up and rest! Turn the phone off.

8 Likes

I’m not sure why all these questions are being asked on this page. I think maybe it’s time to leave the group?!

Are you being paid extra? And most likely yes, they probably want you there mainly to watch them at night while they go out. Just ask them their expectations for this particular trip.

6 Likes

Ask them so you know their expectations

2 Likes

If you can afford it, take the time off! Enjoy yourself!

2 Likes

You need to ask and get clear expectations before you agree to go. Will you have your own room or share a room with the kids? Who pays for your admission to activities /meals? Etc…

6 Likes

The family I went on vacation with gave me every third day off (7 days) and I hung with the kids mostly in the evenings and was along on outings to help. I had my own room also.

Yes, because you are their Nanny not their friend :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Idk what did the family say when they asked you to go

1 Like

alwAys get the details first !!! For rights and responsibilities

2 Likes

Ask their expections.

2 Likes

probably any time they want to go out. maybe they’d like to go out as adults in the evening

2 Likes

Ask them. Not facebook. We aren’t mind readers.

7 Likes

Yes but alot of extra pay

That’s probably a question for them. So you’re all on the same page. Will you be the traveling nanny or a family guest?

More then likely they asked you out of obligations in a way. But assuming gets you aggravated so just ask!

I would say you will be at their beck and call when they want to be child free. No disrespect but you are their employee not a friend

Something you would definitely just need to talk to them about. Just ask what your hours would be during vacation time so you know when your free time would be. You won’t know until you ask.

Why you asking here? Ask the parents of said children!

4 Likes

I would say all the details would need to be ironed out before the trip and then based on what they would like then you would decide whether to go or not. They may ask that you watch the kids a few times after hours so that they can spend time on their own and they may provide you with a day off so you can enjoy the trip as well on your own. I would assume that you would be going and working your regular 9-5 but with a few additional duties with compensation. But still just so that everyone enjoys the vacation all the details need to be sorted out beforehand.

Ask them
None of us will know

Easy peasy

4 Likes

Definitely ask love that way you know exactly what you’re getting into.

Try asking them
Don’t people know how to communicate these days

You will definitely be responsible for them thats the whole point in taking you

3 Likes

I would ask what their expectations will be!!!

You really should ask them

3 Likes

Talk to the parents! Communicate

that’s why they are taking you :rofl::rofl::roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Sounds like you need to inquire about extra money anyway if it’s all day.

Remember it’s a job …so ask questions so that everyone is on the same page. The worst thing ever is a vac trip that isn’t any fun.

This is a question yu sit down and have with yur bosses… set the rules and expectations from jump if what’s allowed between nanny n parents…

1 Like

I would ask them and see what they say. But ask them nicely about it. See what their expectations are and anything else. Ask them if you’re going to be watching them the whole time or if you’re there to enjoy vacation as well. So many rude people on here…definitely just ask girl.

2 Likes

I would talk to the family about it. I kinda feel like they asked you to go on vacation. Should be a vacation for you all. With exception maybe if parents wanted to go out alone to dinner. Make sure to get all details ironed out. Make your decision from there

2 Likes

I would assume that yes you would be responsible for more duties, if they are paying your way and paying you wages as well, because part of your work compensation is getting to be a part of the trip and they will likely be paying a good majority of your expenses while on the trip such as food and entertainment for you and the children. I would negotiate with the family for how much time off you would have on the trip but assume that your days may be a bit longer with the kids.

Issa trap- stay home & enjoy ur vacation! Lol

9 Likes

Yeah definitely need to ask… no one but the family can answer this question :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

Why don’t u ask them
I can’t see how any one here can answer that question

Thats a question you need to ask your employers…its the only way you will get the answer your looking for

2 Likes

Ya might want to ask them and get it written on paper by them🤦🏻‍♀️

1 Like

No I would no go they on vacation they need to have fun with there kids this needs to be your time not to take care of kids

4 Likes

Just ask what the details of your & their schedule would be … by now if this family 1st Intrust you with their “babies” and then ask you if you would like to accompany them on a family vacation they , obviously, like you and would feel ok and expect that you would have questions in relation to the details of this trip . I wouldn’t assume they would want you to be available 24/7 but you NEVER KNOW UNLESS YOU STEP OUT AND ASK QUESTIONS !

3 Likes

You need to speak up and speak out. Get some clarification there’s is nothing wrong with asking questions.

1 Like

You’d have to ask them, none of us know. Ask them that same question then decide if you want to or not.

6 Likes

You might get a little time off but most likely you’d be watching more than normal

1 Like

You need to come up with vacation hours planing

3 Likes

That’s honestly a question I would be asking the family. As I’m sure they would want you to watch the kids at times for them to relax as well, but I don’t see them making it a 24,7 thing unless their normally like that.

2 Likes

Everyone i have known have had to watch them 24/7

I would say it depends on if I’m watching them the whole time or just part of the time. It’s a simple question and it shouldn’t offend them

1 Like

Base on my own experience…I am a nanny of two children 8 yrs ago…When my employer asked me to go with their vacation id always said yes, I can go with them…But that doesn’t mean that when I go with them I officially skip my duty to take care of two children because where in vacation…I’d still continue doing my fulltime service to them,…And yet because of that my employer would be very happy for me and contented on my service…
I love kids, and I love to work my employer even if sometimes they are rude…patience is a virtue…

I would ask them for more clarification on your roll during that time. Cruises can be fun even with kids.

8 Likes

What would be the point of a family vacation if they’re not planning on spending time with their children? They may ask that you do things with the children or watch them if they want to go out by themselves but I wouldn’t think that you’d be responsible 24/7 or even 9-5 unless they’re just really bad parents. No better way of finding out except to ask them.

7 Likes

I guess it depends on what the parents want. Just ask them

Talk to the parents and if you do decide to go get it in writing so this way you got back up.
But this you will have to do on your own.

2 Likes

They’ve taken you as part of their family and therefore there’s no need of leaving you behind.