If I quit my job to be a stay at home mom will I get more child support?

I have two kids, ages 7 &12. My ex pays CS. It’s been a few years since we did a CS review. I found out he recently got a new job that doubled his salary. My question is, if I voluntarily leave my job to be a stay-at-home mom, will I get more CS? I can’t afford to be a stay-at-home mom unless I get an increase in CS. I’m worried because both of my kids are in school most of the day. Will a judge see it as unnecessary for me to be a stay-at-home mom if the kid’s aren’t home most of the day?

1814 Likes

Have her go apply at her county to get paid to be at in home caregiver for her mother.

Honestly that’s messed up. He is paying child support not alimony. It’s not his responsibility to pay for your lifestyle it’s to help you pay for the children’s needs. Meaning you have to contribute to their needs as well and if they’re in school why would you need to be a SAHM. You could just work part time while they’re in school and be off work by the time they’re out.

2 Likes

When on benefits they make u look for work as soon as your child get to school age (age 5) so it definitely won’t benefit you seems your children are not at home all day and cs is not based on your situation its based off father’s earnings and how often they have the children

what the hell are you doing trying to bleed someone dry SOLELY because you found out they are doing better in life and making more money? do you not hear yourself? they’re working harder and doing better so YOU can become their child they now have to support so you can quit your job and sit at home while ACKNOWLEDGING your kids aren’t home most of the day??? holy shit some people really do pop kids out and think they’re entitled to shit huh? also the basis of this whole question is the fact that he got a promotion and has now doubled his salary. you’re seeing dollar signs. not for your kids, for YOU. no way would this have been a thought had he not been blessed with a pay increase for the hard work he puts in. there’s a reason this was posted anonymously. you know you’re wrong

No you wouldn’t get more child support but if he’s making more you can always have the courts re access it and you may get more

CS will be increased if they have a 30% or more increase in income. I don’t think it matters whether or not you are a SAH mom. Child support is based on income, & nothing else.

No, it’s about your earning capacity. You are capable of making x amount it’s not his choice that you decided to quit your job and he won’t be penalized for you deciding not to work. This is family law 101 stuff. Don’t expect anymore money than you’re already getting. Legal advise should also not come from the internet, consult a lawyer.

Be a productive member of society and WORK. If your kids don’t need you home to raise them- work to support them, and get the child support you are getting. Jesus. It’s some women like you.

Hello you may not do this. Reason being is because the courts know if you intentionally get a lower paying job or quit your job to get more child support. If the father was to get a job that pays less they would know and if you where to quit to get more they would know.

I’m sorry but if your not together you shouldn’t be a stay at home mom. He has bills too and a life. His job isn’t to pay all of your bills and support your lifestyle just to be broke afterwards. He’s already working hard and paying child support. Him getting an increase in salary shouldn’t affect that. That should be enough for you. It’s selfish on your part.

Is there context missing? Why would you need to stay home other than the children need special education or have special needs that won’t be meet at school

This is such entitled behavior. No as soon as a judge finds out that you voluntarily left so you can get more money they will tell you your sol. You may even get a decrease pulling this ,as you should. Child support isn’t for you to sit on your ass all day doing nothing. You even state the kids are school age. Just wow. What were you even thinking when you thought this. In what way would this work out. You can take him back if he is indeed making more. It’s not his job to pay everything in your household.

2 Likes

You won’t be a stay at home mom, you’ll be unemployed. You are what’s wrong with this world

You still have a responsibility to your children yourself. He is only responsible to provide half their care. You still have to provide the other half plus the care for yourself. You use your utilities and the house plus your basic supplies which are not his problem.

Gross support yourself! He isn’t giving you CHILD SUPPORT to support you!

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. If I quit my job to be a stay at home mom will I get more child support? - Mamas Uncut

Now I ain’t sayin she’s a golddigger-Kanye

82 Likes

Do not rely on CS, work woman

28 Likes

I don’t think that’s how it works…

11 Likes

You’re ridiculous. Can I give up my responsibilities to milk my ex for all of his hard work? Keep your job, your ex is not your life funder. CS is for your kids, you’re just as responsible to provide for them

88 Likes

Are you only wanting to quit your job because you found out he got a higher salary?
Have your CS revisited, keep your job, go down on hours if you need to and can afford to.

6 Likes

Your child support is to financially support his kids, not to make it so that you don’t need to support them as well… why do some women think it’s just the man’s obligation. Ridiculous!

29 Likes

Why wouldn’t you just ask for a CS review? It’s your ex’s place to provide for his kids, NOT you! How ridiculous :roll_eyes:

11 Likes

It is not his responsibility to support you. He should help support the kids financially and you should do the same.

16 Likes

Why would you ever want to depend on child support :woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3: you need to support your children just as well as he does!!!

8 Likes

You crazy both your kids in school u sound lazy

13 Likes

No they judge will assume you are capable of making the amount you were previously making

6 Likes

Definitely not how that works…

2 Likes

Why is this even a question? Sounds like you want to stay at home and live off of your kids’ money🤦🏻‍♀️

6 Likes

this is such a troll post :joy::rofl:

4 Likes

Child support is for KIDS! And it goes off his income not bz you dont want to work! Keep your job to pay for your crap and use child support for ya know… your kids!

14 Likes

If your kids are in frigin school, you are not becoming a stay at home mom!! You are becoming a couch collector and another person who gives single moms who receive child support a bad name! Work for your shit and set a god damn example for your kids! You can have a re-evaluation of child support done and have it changed based on his new income, if you are just so hot and horny about taking more from him!

1 Like

That’s a big no ma’am from me. If you’re a single mom and quit your job to solely rely on his money to fund your life…then that’s kinda low.

5 Likes

If the kids are in school then stay at home mom doing what? Don’t quit your job to rely on anyone. You are your own person. If you don’t like the amount of money you’re making… do something about it.

9 Likes

Are you flippin kidding me? Work. #trashy

4 Likes

It’s child support :joy::joy:child

2 Likes

Wow…now we see why he left :woman_shrugging:t2::wave::rofl::rofl::rofl:

12 Likes

Why do you need to quit your job if your kids are that old and at school all day?

9 Likes

No. That’s not how it works. Child support is calculated by a formula. Which has nothing to do with YOUR income. Child support is calculated by the payers income.
You can quit your job but the amount isn’t changing.

The judge can and should impute income if you are choosing to be un or under employed.

2 Likes

That won’t fly. They’ll calculate what you have the potential to make working full time at minimum wage. Just keep working.

Plus you can easily be questioned by the judge/an attorney if he has one and “I voluntarily quit to get more CS” would be the worst situation to put yourself in

1 Like

What the heck kind of question is this? If your kids aren’t home most of the day, that means you can be working the time they aren’t home ( like in school). If they are gone most of the day it is unnecessary for you to quit your job, demand more CS, when you’re not actually staying at home WITH the kids. If you volunteer to quit your job, that doesn’t change his CS, at least where I live. If you quit your job, and your kids aren’t home most of the day, there is no reason he pay you more considering your kids aren’t home most of the day, and you chose to quit. The real question is, did you quit your job in hopes of getting more from him since finding out his job situation?

3 Likes

Nope! That child support is for your kids! Only! Not to support you , that would be Alimony! Let your ex- go! No need to ask for more! Just because you chose to stay home! Child support is a two way street! JS!

2 Likes

Child support is for things for ur children… not to pay all ur bills

3 Likes

Why wouldn’t you want to work???

1 Like

Child support goes off of how much the paying spouse makes, their income. Not your lack of income or decision to not work. Also, I don’t think technically you would be considered a stay at home mom if your kids are in school and you aren’t responsible for taking care of them majority of the day while they’re in the schools care.

3 Likes

No its based on his income his portion not your income

1 Like

Child support is to help support the child. Not to 100% financially support the kid. Jesus Christ. :roll_eyes: just because your ex is doing better does not make it okay for you to take everything from him. You’re disgusting

11 Likes

Why don’t you give your kids a positive and strong upbringing by not sponging off the money he is giving to HIS kids and not you?

Work. Be financially stable. Set a good example to your kids by working hard and giving them a great upbringing.

16 Likes

No his child support would have to be modified and approved in court. You wont get more being lazy and trying to make your ex pick up the slack. You are just as reaponsible for their care and needs as the dad.You should want to work and support them kids. No wonder he is a ex.

3 Likes

No but you can work while your kids are in School LMAO

2 Likes

You can request a review. If it’s been more than 3 years since y’all had one they will give it to you without questions. Now if you go into the review and he doesn’t take any proof, you can request another review and ask them to make him bring his returns, last 6 check stubs, bank statements and so on. This applies to the state of Texas. I worked for chs for 3 years and those were the terms. Hope this helps. Oh and you don’t necessarily have to tell them you’re quitting your job, that’s none of their business

1 Like

Legit just request a motion to increase… They will require you both to report your earnings and what you pay monthly…

I already called dibs on winning the lotto tonight so you’re SOL :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Not how child support works…

:woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3:

1 Like

you sound lazy and jealous. Leave the man and his accomplishments and make your own.

4 Likes

No you don’t
I’m s all based on your income and they make you look for work dear

Oh no. It doesn’t work like that sweets.

Is this a legit question?! YOU are what is wrong with the system….

12 Likes

When I first divorced I was a stay at home mom. The judge in my state still divided the cs between my ex and I. He calculated my part came from minimum wage, until I got a job

1 Like

WTF! How could you even think about doing that? He is NOT responsible for taking care of YOU! Keep your damn job and be a contributing source to your kids! Show them work ethic, what hard work gets you in life, NOT how to be dependent on someone else’s hard earned money🤬

That is genuinely awful. He is paying Child support to help raise his children, not you.

6 Likes

Keep your job. How pathetic can you really be O.o

1 Like

these are the type of women that makes my skin crawl… so you want to not work but make your bd who PAYS cs already… pay More cs just because he got an increase at his job? lord have mercy… leave that man alone!!! you sound like a baby.

119 Likes

Is this real life??? You’re joking, right???
As a married woman…I EVEN went to work once the kiddos all went to school. :woman_facepalming:
No…you cant milk your ex for money and stay home all day.

6 Likes

So your quitting your job to live off your ex ?lol he’s there to support the kids not you

5 Likes

Oh my. I have no words for the selfishness in this post. As both a bio mom and stepmom the kids need to be with their dad if all you see is his paycheck and a way for you to get more of it.

18 Likes

Omg u really want to quit because you not going get more child support what!! I rather working then stay home mom

1 Like

This is a ridiculous question. Wow

It goes off his income not yours.

What’s child support??

1 Like

Is this a serious question ? Keep your job stop trying to milk your ex out of child support, it’s for your kids not to support you being lazy and sitting on the couch all day. :woman_shrugging: keep your job .

20 Likes

Reread your post u sound foolish girl!!

1 Like

No. You gotta go to work.

1 Like

Child support is meant to take care of the child(ren) HALF. It’s not the child father’s responsibility to take care of anyone/anything that’s NOT his child(ren) it’s a shame to think you’d get more by quitting your job. :roll_eyes::woman_facepalming:t2:

10 Likes

Also of your kids are in school why would you want to be home…

7 Likes

Why should he have to support you so you can stay home?

10 Likes

I get asking for review if needed. I gwt requesting to stay home because of a disabled child needs more care. But honestly requesting a review because you want to stay home and not work is GREEDY.

13 Likes

Your EX. Not your husband not your father. If you wanted to be a kept woman shoulda stayed wheee the money was :woman_shrugging:t4::put_litter_in_its_place:

4 Likes

You can request a review but the increase won’t be nearly enough to cover your own living expenses nor should it

4 Likes

This has got to be a troll… Your absolutely disgusting

5 Likes

He isn’t your free source of income :joy::joy: what kind of mentality is this

5 Likes

Wow this so terrible!!! You’d be put in at min wage.

Why would you make him cover your expenses when yall aren’t together

2 Likes

Sounds like you don’t need to be a sahm if they’re both in school most of day. Find a job that works you the hours they’re in school !! Not his place to support you

12 Likes

Women like you give all of us a bad name. I cannot believe you’d even think that’s an option. The fact that you think he owes you anything is pretty messed up. If you don’t want to support your kids, just let the dad have them full time.

12 Likes

Yo… What? Really??? TF?

Why don’t you use it for what is for the kids not to take care of you. show your kids you don’t need a man/woman and to be a responsible adult cause any minute that check can stop then what think about it

4 Likes

You have to hire a lawyer and take him back to court, if he still has that job you can get it raised, but it will take a long time to get it to court with all the continuenses .

Judge might just lower it cuz of u being this way :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Absolutely not! If you think you need more child support then maybe you should stay working. He is pay money to support your children not you

5 Likes

:woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3:

Sounds like lazy to me

… Yeah, I’m going with no. I feel like a judge will laugh if you try to have your child support raised so you can stay home. It isn’t your childrens fathers job to provide for you so that you can stay home. Child support is to help provide for your children.

16 Likes

You are absolute TRASH

9 Likes

No! Why would you risk that ?! Don’t quit your job !

That’s now how that works. Let’s you quit you’re job then he loses his. What’s your plan then? Some of you baby mamas are seriously bitter. I can now see why they left you.

12 Likes

So YOU want to quit YOUR job because your ex got a better paying job, probably to better his life and now you want to take more money from him? No honey, please don’t do that. You already get CS, keep your job to help provide for your kids and don’t rely on CS. It’s to HELP; not live off of.

14 Likes

You know child support ENDS right? Lol like what’s gonna happen when the kids age out and you cant live off your ex’s dime anymore? That’s a shitty thing to do. Have some self respect and go out and make your own damn money. Yes he should financially provide for his kids according to his income, but NO you should not quit your job and use your kids money to stay at home…

2 Likes

Omg. I hope this isn’t a serious question.

7 Likes