I'm living a lice nightmare, help!

I’m not sure what to do at this point. My daughter has head lice and I’ve tried EVERYTHING. From over the counter, to home remedies, to even calling our family doctor and having him prescribe us something for it. Nothing is working for us. I comb through her hair daily, for hours and she’s over it. Which I don’t blame her, because I’m over it myself. I wash the bedding and vacuum daily as well. Just becoming overwhelmed. She has hair that’s past her butt and it’s insanely thick! I just feel like it’s impossibly at this point and I wanna cry. Looking for ideas to do, that worked for others, in case I didn’t try something! Thank you so much.

145 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. I'm living a lice nightmare, help! - Mamas Uncut

Maybe cutting her hair would help! Have you tried putting mayonnaise in her hair ? I’ve heard it helps get the bugs out!

1 Like

Try coke? The soda that helps. Even tea tree oil. Also yellow Listerine helps

Google lice angels. They’re a shop in Texas i believe. I follow them on tik tok and they sell their products. I’ve never personally used them but it’s definitely worth a shot! It’s a tad pricey i think the kit is usually 150 but i know its on sale right now for 85.

Olive oil on hair completely drenched overnight a few days in a row cover hair with plastic headwrap/baggie

Heat and product kill it. Dye her hair, blow dry, and straighten. Throw bedding in the dryer.

Mayo lathered on super thick then put a plastic wrap on her head and leave for an hour. It suffocates them

1 Like

Bag up any stuffed animals, get the spray and spray the couch and mattresses, etc

1 Like

Are you treating the house also?

Beds
Couches
Rugs
Stuffed toys
Bean bags
Curtains
All her jackets, hoodies, backpacks, beanies, etc.

4 Likes

Tea tree oil and I used vinegar too put a cap and for like 10 minutes

1 Like

Have you tried this?

You need to cut her hair to a manageable length. Do it outside. This will all be easier to handle.

Have to pick every single nit out of her hair stran by stran

1 Like

There are services that you can pay for to nit pick for you. Not sure where you are. Here is an example: https://www.austinlicetreatment.com

Some towns have Lice clinics of America

Blow dry her hair. Or take a flat iron to it. Throw everything you can into the dryer for 20 minutes on the highest setting. Put all stuffed animals in trash bags for 2 weeks. Get some bug spray.

Olive oil put a bag over the head after applying for 30 minutes then comb it out then wash. It works

Vamouse lice mouse from Walgreens. It kills the lice and dehydrates the eggs so they don’t hatch

They also hate heat. After you wash and cut it outside, blow dry it on high heat.

1 Like

Have you tried covering her head in Mayo for like a whole day with a Walmart bag or shower cap ? Heat helps to kill them too and tea tree shampoo daily and hairspray and blow dry daily to keep them from re attaching later !! If you don’t have Mayo oil something thick that’s not gonna make her sick but will suffocate the lice it’s hard I know

The only thing that worked for us was prescription Ovide. It was a miracle.

You may have to cut her hair off.

Mineral oil. Coat her hair in mineral oil land cover her head with a shower cap. Let is sit for 45-60min. Then comb her hair out. Use coke or apple cider vinegar to break up the oil. You can do this everyday if you need to. It doesn’t hurt her hair. Shampoo with teetree in it

Tea tree oil in some shampoo, then put a bag on her head to hold the heat in. Let it sit for as long as she can stand it, wash it out, pick through it and then straighten her hair.

1 Like

See if you have a head lice treatment center close to you. I’m in Northeast Ms and this was the best $150 I’ve ever spent. They do not accept insurance, at least here they don’t. If mine ever gets it again, I will go straight back to them. I won’t even mess with anything else.

You have to pick out every egg with a little comb and treat and treat with lice medicine and blow dry every last strand and do it multiple times in a roll. .

I tried vinager on my daughter ! Put it on and put a shower cap for 1 hour than wash and comb thru

1 Like

You gotta bomb the house. Stuffed animals n all. Wash all the bedding, cut her hair.

Put mayonnaise in her hair. Completely cover her hair with it. Put Saran Wrap over it and a Walmart plastic bag over it. Let it sit for an hour or so. Then wash it out. Keep doing that until they are gone.

7 Likes

Mix Mayo and olive oil together and leave it for 3 to 4 hours

When my daughter had it an her hair is long too I used tea tree oil and peppermint in shampoo, fully smother her hair an bag for an hour, wash out an repeat then do a treatment

1 Like

Mayo dosen’t help.
Try thinning out her hair.

Cut her hair so it’s more manageable

spray with tea tree oil follow dirctions

Get the thickest shower cap you can find, soak her hair in coconut hair oil. I mean SOAK. Dripping wet oily gross thick

Hairdresser here: THERE IS ZERO REASON TO CUT HER HAIR OFF. That is awful advice. I actually pluck the strand out that has eggs in it, BUT I am willing to bet you’re dealing with a lice super bug. (Yes that’s a thing) your pediatrician can write you and RX to treat it. You also need to make sure you treat your car!

6 Likes

My sister just had to use a lice place for her daughters and they guarantee no lice after the treatment - I think it was $175 a person but sounds well worth it. We’re in MO but I’m sure there’s places all over similar

1 Like

Flat iron it!!
Be really careful, but flat iron the little thing, then do your lice treatment.

1 Like

I heard adding tea tree oil to your shampoo helps

First off, cut her hair and second off get a fairytale comb and comb it out every day twice a day. Keep doing it and it’ll go away eventually

1 Like

Diesel gas. It sucks but it works

Rubbing alcohol and a shower cap or baby oil and a shower cap every 3 days for 2 wks. Leave it in there for several hours. That is the cheapest and easiest that I have found and I do it with my girls hair wen they get them

2 Likes

My mom used listerine on my head and got rid of them overnight. It was the very last option we had done mayo olive oil rit we really did try it all

They have this herbal essence shampoo and conditioner with tea tree oil in it, then comb it out with the metal comb and pick out as many nits as you can, then put a few drops of the tea tree oil itself.

2 Likes

Mayo. Or anything greasy! Put a shower cap on it. And tea tree oil keeps them away. They make shampoo and conditioner

1 Like

Mayo , dawn dish soap, maybe trim her hair up too to make it easier.

I also heard that lice doesn’t like living in oily hair.

Tea tree oil I’ve heard works wonders!
I’ve also heard and been told they hate “dirty” hair. Spray it with hair sprays, dye it, but stuff in it.

Don’t forget to was any hair tie

Blow dry hee hair. You may need to trim it. Lice do not like heat. Blow drying twice a day will help

1 Like

It sounds horrible, but my husband used kerosene. It didn’t hurt her and her hair was so shiney and soft for a long time.

Years ago my sister had it horrible we cut her hair did Mayo blow dryer all that it eventually went away idk how long it took!

They sell an electric comb that zaps the lice and causes no harm to your child .

1 Like

Not sure if this is still on the market ’ QUELL OR KWELL?" Anyway it 100 percent works but you have to wash your bedding and everything in it, washing anything with just soap won’t kill those tiny monsters!!:flushed:

1 Like

Have you cleaned out under her fingernails each treatment if not. It’s possible the eggs are becoming lodged underneath and every time she scratches she’s reinfecting herself

Coat the hair in castor oil and put a shower cap on and sleep with it overnight. Wash all bedding, pillows, stuffed animals in hot water. Check the whole families head too.

How old is she? I had to break down and use hair dye while in a plastic bag for my daughter when my niece kept on getting it from school. Good luck mama, I understand your frustration :slightly_frowning_face:

Coconut oil, coconut suave shampoo and conditioner, tea tree oil with rosemary, ACV

You have to clean the bed sheets or just buy new ones. Pillows, pillowcases, towels, etc…Extra hot water. Toss in some vinegar. They won’t go away if you get rid of them from the head and lay back down on a bed that has them.
The over the counter medicine/shampoo works if you treat the whole problem. Not just the head. They also have a spray to spray on furniture and anything else her head touches.

Hair straighteners and straighten her hair! Burns them dead

They have lice removal clinics. I suggest going here and they can get rid of it. Along with giving you advice getting rid of them at home. Right now it’s probably all over her clothes, bed, pillows, stuff animals. You will need extensive heat in your house if you had them for a while.

Sounds KRAZY use delouted sheep dip…

Nix is the only thing I’ve ever used that has worked but that was 15 or so years ago

Throw all stuffed animals in garbage bags for a week. Hot dry everything. Wash it all. It takes forever

Mayonnaise was the only thing that worked on my kids

1 Like

Several years ago I had this same problem with my daughter…I eventually had to buy new mattresses and pillows and have someone come in and clean my carpets to get rid of them

The oil and shower cap ideas, spray EVERYTHING CLOTH with tea tree oil, wash on super hot beforehand

You need to bag up all the stuff for at least seven days. Washing doesn’t work for some reason.

tea tree oil just a few drops in shampoo will help

Been there and done that.

I recommend this. This was the only thing that worked for us. I drenched the kids hair in it, put shower caps on them and made them wear it all day long until it was completely dry. It’s like salt water, smells like black licorice and is the only thing that worked for us after 1.5 years of dealing with it.

2 Likes

If your having issues like this it’s because your missing something. Make sure all stuffed animals are bagged up tight. Wash pillows blankets get some of the lice spray for furniture spray the mattress and couches. I used coconut oil with a shower cap for an hour you have to sit outside in the light and make sections in the hair and go little by little and get the eggs the combs don’t always get them all.

Try and straighten it everyday. It fries everything.

Cut her hair and try a different lice shampoo again it will grow back.

We had a household of 11 with lice growing up, olive oil treatments were the only thing to kick it. We would sleep in shower caps with olive oil coated hair on a regular schedule until they were gone

3 Likes

Don’t forget to treat the car seats!!

Yellow listerine works and you can put in spray bottle and treat floors beds and blankets put on hair pout plastic bag let it sit on havre for hour and rinse then comb out all eggs it’s kills them within about 30 sec to a min this is only thing I use when the kids in my family get it

Vamousse is amazing. It kills the bugs and the eggs. We had to do a it a few times but it worked.

You’re gonna have to shave her head yo. At least cut it short.

After you treat for the live lice, in very small sections, starting at the base of her hair, slowly run a flat iron through her hair. The high heat will kill the nits more effectively than trying to pick them all out. It worked very effectively when my daughter was in elementary school and one year kept bringing them home from the coat closet. However, you still have to do all the other things, wash bedding, spray the furniture, vacuum, bag up stuffed animals, etc. Without that all your efforts are in vain.

Olive oil or coconut oil wrap in plastic for a few hours and they will come out with a very Find to comb then wash out it will take a few times to get it out but it works

1 Like

Apple cider vinegar and coconut oil. The coconut oil smothers the bugs and apple cider vinegar eats through the eggs. Or malaise. It suffocates them as well.

See if you have a lice clinics of america. They get rid of it.

1 Like

Straight tea tree oil, load her head down and put a shower cap on it. It was the only thing that worked when I was with my ex and his kids kept it. Also I used to blow dry their hair because they hate heat and it kills the exoskeletons

1 Like

Diesel. Fuel crazy butt. Works I. Remember we cut my hair google it

Lyclear if you can get it. I’m in the uk and this was the only thing I found that worked with mine when they were young, then a tea tree leave in spray every morning to repel them from returning and also house bombs to kill any bugs that may be hiding in soft furniture xx

Try adams dog shampoo from Walmart it has worked for someone else Ik that had a issue with head lice

Only thing that worked on us when we were little was cutting out hair really short…last resort

Have you tried the electric comb? That’s what finally helped us

2 Likes

I know it sounds weird but my daddy put lard in my hair when I was like 11 years old. I have not had lice since. I can’t stand the smell or anything cooked in lard tho :rofl:

Mayo,yes tree oil,Flat Iron. Ask Dr to proscribe something

I had a terrible outbreak in my house last year right after Covid hit. 5 out of 6 adults in the house had it. Here’s what we did. Washed all bedding vacuumed beds and anything soft. Lice treatments for everyone. Comb everyone dutifully!! At night coat everyone’s head with olive oil and put plastic bonnet on and wrap with towel. Sleep in this and wash everyone’s hair as usual in the morning. This is very important :bangbang: blow dry everyone’s hair and the then vacuum yes I said vacuum everyone’s head! It took about a week of doing all of this every day but it worked! Good luck I know how stressful it is! Prayers

I take my daughter into a special clinic called “Lice Knowing You” they guabrtee you’ll be lice free when you walk out their doors. You then come back 4 days later for an inspection to make sure you’re lice free.

2 Likes

Natroba from the doctor is the best thing. Or a lice clinic.

Soak in Mayo for a few hours in a shower cap. FOUL but my mom did it for my brother and I and crazy enough we never got it again even while being around others who had it.

Be sure all bedding, stuffed animals etc are in plastic bags in hot area like garage or attic for several weeks or put in dryer id safe on high heat. If they don’t get killed on those surfaces she will keep getting it. Encase the mattress and box springs in waterproof protectors but spray with the live spray for fabrics

1 Like

They have a pill you can take to kill lice, the amount you take is based on weight

Our school one year had it coming in by the bus load, and we dealt with it for months.
We pulled up all of our carpet and got all new furniture.
Daily, we would soak their hair in Coca-Cola, put a grocery bag over it for quite some time, wash it out, blow dry and straighten every night. When straightening it, we have to pick everything out.
We used vinegar for a bit, but it was very harsh on the hair.
Bedding was washed daily or put in the dryer. We sprayed our vehicles with alcohol mixture

Look for a headline clinic near you! It’s expensive but we’ll with it!!!

1 Like