I'm living a lice nightmare, help!

I had this happen with my daughter…I tried everything under the sun and she kept getting it. I finally called the health department to ask what I’m missing, the lady on the phone said that you’ve done everything, it has to be someone she’s playing with. Sure enough, after checking her friends hair, she had it too. Once her friend was treated and my daughter again …it was gone. Also, put all stuffed animals in dryer on high temps

1 Like

You have to make sure you’re cleaning EVERYTHING. Vacuum the car, car seat, furniture, mattresses. Wash everything you can in hot water and 3 cycles of high heat in the dryer. The prescription stuff breaks the eggs down too so there’s something you’re missing somewhere that keeps them coming back.

Cleaning pillows and mattress bag up every thing did you remember car, car seats,

3 Likes

Mayonnaise!!! Lather her entire hair in it overnight. Use a bag to contain it… rinse in the morning n use the nit comb to get em all out!!

1 Like

Tea tree put it in shampoo

Blow dry her hair every day until gone get tea tree shampoo and conditioner :ok_hand:t2: vacuum honestly put water proof stuff over the couches I put a plastic wrap for mattress over my daughter bed and put everything in my entire house in trash bags and closed off all air :ok_hand:t2:anything that could not be bagged was put in cold storage for 6 weeks winter at the time I dried her bed every morning for 1:20 min just the dryer she had one spot to sit on the couch that was wiped down after use :disappointed: it was hard not gonna lie I change the vacuum bag completely constantly but the key was picking out every single egg / bug in her hair she also has very very thick long hair down to her but for two hours twice a day I cleaned her hair in the morning I would drink my coffee and clean her hair while her bed was in the dryer then washes with tea tree then blow dry :ok_hand:t2: twice a day they were finally gone after a week she kept getting it from a kid at school and the school wouldn’t do anything about. They kept saying their hands were tied the tea tree shampoo has worked Sounders :raised_hands:t2: no love since same kid goes to school still has lice !!! My daughter was 5 at the time so I feel the pain I also got lice before it was done it was hell :sob: it’s like my worst mom fear seriously they are so resistant to live treatment these days only heat really kills them and lack of oxygen ps pop the eggs after they are picked out one by one it’s nasty but you don’t want to drop them and start over

Look for a salon that specializes in this! You will pay for it, but takes care of it. Cut the hair! It will grow back, it’s OK.

Also use… Savlon as last rinse on hair…

My daughter had hair like urs when she caught them we did every treatment we could fine online the only thing in the end that worked was cutting her hair.

baby oil in her hair n put it in a bun everyday till their gone wash everything n comb her hair with the oil in it… Once gone use tea tree oil prevent her getting them again

1 Like

My daughter had long hair. I didn’t hesitate. Took her out to the deck and cut it up to just above her ears. We tried everything to rid of them. What worked putting olive oil in and in her hair for 24 hours with a shower cap on for the 24 hours.

I would start blow drying everyday and washing everything her head touches last time I had lice I didn’t use any product I just washed my sheet and pillow cases nightly comb and blow dryed my hair and started using tea tree oil haven’t had them since

1 Like

Super Lice. It’s resistant to treatment. Please don’t use Mayo… it’s a wife’s tale. You can treat the Lice again, and rinse her hair with vinegar and Listerine every other day. There’s a problem somewhere tho. They don’t just come back if you’re eliminating them.

1 Like

My niece ended up having lice from one of her friends and we lived with them at the time…I was pregnant she used to lay on my bed and well I ended up with them…they were those super lice so nothing was helping get rid of them. I finally gave in and bleached my hair and it ended up killing them thank god. But try dying her hair even with her regular color the dye will dry them out and kill them

Use Paul Mitchell tea tree shampoo

1 Like

You can get hair dye the same color as her hair and dye it.A beauty shop told me about this probably 27 years ago. It worked I did it every 6 months and she never had lice again

My mom always used mayo in my hair when I was a kid. I have long thick straight hair and I kept it when I was a kid. If someone at school got it I would get it every time.

1 Like

Slather a load of Mayo on the hair and place a shower cap over it leave for 1hr (the lice will go crazy and itch like mad but perceiver) then wash out with hot water shampoo and condition. Then go through with a lice comb to get the eggs, repeat if needed every day but it should get them first time if you manage to get all the eggs.
Hope that helps :crossed_fingers:t4::two_hearts:

1 Like

I had that happen with my daughter a few years back
She kept catching it from the girl she sat next to on the bus, her parents wouldn’t treat it and the bus driver wouldn’t move my daughter.

What worked best was Mayo soaked in the hair with a shower cap over night and then wash it all out and apply tea tree oil and lots of hair product and keep her hair in a tight pony tail braid or bun

I straightened my daughters hair when we were having issues and it worked faster then anything

Persistence :woman_shrugging: We lived with lice my whole life so when I moved out at 15 I didn’t want to tell my now husband anything about it so I didn’t​:confused: I bought a good metal comb and combed through my hair EVERY SINGLE DAY, never skip! I did mine twice or 3 times a day actually but their life cycle is days so that was kinda overkill lol. You need to spray your house and at least dry the blankets, pillows, etc, at least once in that life cycle period so I’d say don’t go anymore than 4-5 days. Vacuum after you spray. Probably vacuum daily​:woman_shrugging: I know it sucks but I stayed persistent and finally got rid of lice completely at nearly 16 years old which is so embarrassing yk but I have 2 girls now and we’ve never had it! Tea tree oil is a good repellent so start using it now and then make sure ANYTIME you send your kids anywhere overnight they are treated with it because it does work! Good luck sweetie and don’t give up.

1 Like

Tea tree shampoo works wonders!!!

My mom had to shave my sisters when she was younger bc nothing was working for her .when I was a little girl I had it once and never had to cut or shave my hair ,soaking it in mayonnaise for hours for like 10 days straight killed them out of mine .

Treat everyone in the house too, not just her. She could very well be getting it from someone close to her who isn’t treating themselves.

1 Like

I used a curling iron
Heat kills them

I hate to say it but cut her hair, treat it, clean EVERYTHING because at this point it’s probably everywhere even the carpets. Find treatments for all linens and fabrics and then also add tea tree oil to her shampoos.

1 Like

Bag all stuffed animals and pillows for at least 3 days. Spray down furniture, car, anything with fabric that can’t be washed with the lice spray. Use the carpet powder/baking soda and let sit for 10/15 mins before vacuuming. Wash her hair ties, all rugs, curtains, all towels though too. Do a vinegar or mayo treatment. Soak it in vinegar/mayo and use a shower cap to let it sit. Rinse well after 30/45 mins or can leave on for even longer/overnight. Can use olive oil or conditioner to help comb through and pick out all of the nits. Soak hairbrush and combs in vinegar or bleach if not throwing out. Invest in tea tree oil shampoo and spray for further use. Can also do hair spray every day to keep them off.

Shes obviously picking them up from school somewhere. Lice jump from each childs head to the next, and so on. To stop them landing in your Daughters hair, Spray her hair with a mix of tea tree oil and water, every morning when you do her hair for school. The lice will hate the smell and jump off her hair right away. THIS WILL WORK!! :blush: I’d also have a chat with her school regarding their head lice policy, because too many other parents let them go untreated, and of course making it harder for those that do treat their kids! Xx

2 Likes

Tea tree oil. Add it to her shampoo. Blow dry her hair every time she washes it. Treat all your furniture, bedding and stuffed animals. My daughter had very long and super thick hair…she got lice twice. The first time I did the typical OTC treatment, did the OTC treatment the 2nd time and started using the tea tree oil…she never had it again.

2 Likes

There should be Lice treatment facilities in your area. If you Google it I’m sure you can find one. In 2018 my daughter got them from school and her hair is very curly so I cried felt like a failure as a mom. I tried the over the counter stuff but it just burned her scalp. One morning I was nursing my 10mo old and felt something on his head…it was lice🥺. I Google for a place found one and immediately called and went same day. They did a treatment and I continued at home. It worked with their natural oils I just out on their heads and combed it out.

1 Like

Go to a lice clinic , worked for two of my friends. They guarantee it for like 30 days .

I def agree with the mayo trick!!!

Olive oil. Cover her hair at night. Comb through before u wash and comb after.

Mayonnaise. Clean everything she’s come into contact with while letting it set. Mayo isn’t gonna hurt to set for a few minutes…

Rubbing alcohol works great

1 Like

Straighten her hair the heat will kill them x

2 Likes

4 daughters here, Mayo doesn’t work, hair coloring doesn’t work because they’re super lice now, the only thing that’s worked for us is using a straightening iron on the hair along with combing everyday and washing/vacuuming every thing even couches

1 Like

Mayo, hair dye, and put a little bit of tea tree oil in there conditioner you use. I also have the kids use a blow dryer. The heat will kill them.

Smother with Vaseline. Leave it overnight. Wash it out with dawn soap and do a final rinse with vinegar.

Cetaphil method for lice, google it follow it it worked wonders for us years ago!

1 Like

My daughter caught super lice at school and I had to end up cutting off her long hair to her shoulders. It wasn’t ideal but it was so much easier because we had to retreat 3 different times before we finally got rid of them!

Spray rubbing alcohol in damp hair, saturate it, let dry. Do this for several days, still using the fine comb each time.

There’s a mouse called vammouse. Also wash all bedding and teddies. Wash and straighten her hair and hairspray

1 Like

There is this medicated shampoo that your Doctor can prescribe… you need to open all the windows in your house because it’s so potent but it’s what worked for my girls when they were little…

Mayonnaise or coconut oil, add tea tree oil to it. Do this in the morning and wrap in a shower cap or plastic wrap. Leave on for a little over 8 hours. Lice can hold their breath for 8 hours. Comb the hair with lice comb. Shampoo out with a coconut based shampoo. When done washing use vinegar to rinse. Vinegar will make the hair soft and a comb go through the hair. Lice hate coconut, tea tree oil, vinegar and heat. This treatment uses all 4 of those things.

Also boil the brushes after every use :ok_hand:t2:

I mean… I shaved my daughter’s head. She asked me to though. She didn’t wanna go through the treatments anymore. I had caught it as well so I shaved mine off too. Obviously that’s the extreme option (even though she rocked it and looked SO CUTE) But we did NIX and vinegar. As well as tea tree oil shampoo the first time she caught it. Second time was the head shaving.

Crisco and tee tree oil. Leave on for a few hours, do for a few days. Comb it thru with the metal comb

Take a weekend to treat her, yourself and everyone in the house and wash everything. There’s also sprays you can buy to spray around the house, furniture ect. Wash clothing, bedding, towels, pillows, stuffed animals you name it. If it’s washable wash it in hot water. Invest in a shampooer if you don’t have one and shampoo carpets, rugs and even the beds. If you don’t kill it on all surfaces it’s going to keep coming back. Also if she has visited any friends or families recently they need to do the same before it gets wayy out of hand.

Use a hair straightener daily burn those critters

You’re probably gonna need to cut her hair

1 Like

I live in the south and once her hair is treated with the lice shampoo, comb her hair out. Once its dry use a hair straitiner on hi heat. It will kill any eggs you miss. Then everyday for a week spray deep woods off in her hair brush it through and put her hair in a bun

Yes, wash all bedding and vaccum, bed, sofa, chairs, car, car seat, ANYWHERE she sits daily empty vaccum for 14 days put all comforters, blankets, stuffed animals, things that can’t be washed in black garbage bags sealed for 14 days. We used Lice-a-dex all natural product. My daughter too had thick hair, I was able to get her to lay on my lap and watch a movie while I combed thru, you have to be sure the hair at the root and scalp are fully covered. And i sprayed EVERYTHING with the household treatment. I rinsed hair with salt water we did this in the kitchen sink so she could lay down and I could use the sprayer so it wouldnt burn her eyes. To kill any of them still alive. I would also get an electric lice comb. Treat everyone like they have lice as well. If she goes to any daycare that may be the source as well. There is a natural repellant you can use once its controlled. Be careful using tea tree oils with young children (google it) Good Luck https://buyliceadex.com/

Cut her hair and go to a professional lice removal

1 Like

Bottle off conditioner and a comb for bout 2 weeks every day that what i always used :blush::blush:

Apple cider vinegar just don’t get it in her eyes

1 Like

Dollar general sales a flea comb in the pet section (like 2 bucks) it a super fine tooth comb and it dosen’t hurt nearly as bad a regular lice comb. Also, walmart sales a Suave Rosemary and mint shampoo, supposedly lice hate the smell. (Smart style also sells a lavender and tea tree leave in conditioner dont know the brand but it’s in a green bottle which is much better but way more expensive) We used that as a preventive for a long time. I would leave the conditioner on their hair as long as I could and brush it out with the flea comb while they were still in the bath. Then spray the leave in. After the bath I would blow dry their hair. Brandi Berube

Vaseline in hair and comb through with a nitty gritty. Use Hedrin Once to get rid of most of them first. Do Vaseline every day. I would also suggest going somewhere for a few days as it will kill the head lice in your house. I had headlice trying to survive on my tummy at one point. They don’t need hair…just regular blood! They can use their teeth to hold on. They could be on the sofa or in your bedding or clothes so a few days away kills the ones in your home. Do the Vaseline whilst you’re away too. To remove it, put shampoo in hair then rinse (don’t wet hair first).

1 Like

You may need to try a lice clinic. With hair that long it will probably be costly but it may be worth it with it not getting gone.

Felicity Marks loads of home ideas here for future :grin:

1 Like

Tea tree oil and lavender

I went thru the same thing with my oldest daughter. Her hair is long and thick. I saturated her hair in apple cider vinegar and let it sit for about 30 mins. Then section small pieces and rub coconut oil thru it and use the good metal not comb. Not the flimsy plastic. Did this every 7th day for a month and they were gone. We use tea tree oil shampoo for her now and a lice away spray that’s basically just essential oils that they hate and she hasn’t caught it again. :crossed_fingers:t4:

1 Like

Rubbing alcohol lather her hair up comb out then rinse also put rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle spray beds furniture and if u have carpet and rugs I promise this works

Hair dye with bleach in it woll help fast !!

Olive oil let sit for 15 minutes and comb. Then wash. Mayo works as well.
Vacuumed dry bedding for at least 30 minutes on high heat.
Go over hair with a hair straighter thin trips and move slow.

Oh this is such a pain my kids had it bad years ago and I was beside myself tbh , good :relieved: old cheap hair conditioner worked a treat smother her head and her hair n then comb thru with a nit comb plastic one :point_up: and repeat then wash and shampoo and conditioner and rinse with apple cider vinegar ,
Get a Bissel cleaner and do the mattress , the lounge soft furnishings etc
Wash all bedding in boiling water and apple cider vinegar in the rinse water hand to dry or put into a hot :hot_face: dryer .
Also spray her bedding once bk on her bed with a lavender spray they the nits hate it .
I would also recommend a hair cut :haircut_woman: and taking her to lice drs where they will get rid a any remaining lice might be a bit expensive but so worth it
Then keep checking her hair every day and spray lightly with hairspray b4 she goes to school :school: good :relieved: luck

Get some oil and put it in her hair.

I use a chemical treatment (some are better than others) every three days for two weeks. Check YouTube for the wet comb method, a lady from lice busters told me about it. Do that after every treatment and then use a straight iron on her hair after each time. Burn the crap out of any nits you may have missed. Three kids later and working with youth, I don’t mess around.

I have thick curly hair. My kids do too. I called my friend who was a pest control tech. Permethrin kills them. It’s safe around dogs and people, but cats it’ll kill.
Treat your HOUSE with a good pesticide containing permethrin. I order mine on Amazon. (Higher percentages of permethrin can’t be bought OTC here, but I can order it on Amazon) Spray the mattresses outside & let them sun dry… spray all your floors etc (this will also kill fleas, spiders, etc)
Treat her head and everybody’s head with Ovide (RX from the doc.) wait one week and repeat the whole process. I always did a 3rd application a week later, & wouldn’t have them again.
I also started mixing water with a few drops of tea tree oil and spraying my kids hair before school.

1 Like

Could she be picking it up outside the home?

Fill a spray bottle with water and tea tree oil and spray it on her hair every day. Also spray it on mattresses, clothes, upholstered items

Use a hair dryer or straightener on her hair. The heat kills them and eggs. Spray and Bag up all stuffed animals. Leave them and spray again in 5 days. Eggs hatch every 7 days. I did my kids heads religiously every 4-5 days depending on my work schedule for almost 2 months. Was hell but I finally got them gone. Make sure to do your car and all. Honestly I bagged every pieces of linen, stuffed animal, rug, ECT and just left out what I needed for the week… A friend of mine ended up taking her daughter to a lice clinic

1 Like

Have you tried white vinegar cover all her hair and scalp in it leave for 24 hours it stinks but god it works

I user listerene mouth wash, it kills the bugs and the eggs so fast. Just some ur hair with it really good, wrap hair up in a towel and let sit for 15-20 mins. Do that every day for 5 days just to be sure u get them all. It even makes ur Hair super soft. Also everyone I’ve ever told about this method has had amazing results.

Heat, blow dry roots

If u use rubbing alcohol u want have to cut her hair but you’ll need to do it everyday for at least 5days

I UNDERSTAND your frustration. It will be a NEVER ending cycle until you can pin point the source of where she’s getting it from! Somewhere she’s going on a regular basis is Infested, For Us it was My Brother’s house!

the vinegar is the best, & then you take the eggs out one by one i was a massive breeding head lice kid & nothing worked, but vinegar n my aunt spent like 10hr picking one by one the eggs

This stuff is a miracle. Also, heat kills them. Blow dry her hair daily and use a flat iron.

Tea tree oil does not kill the lice. It repels it.

1 Like

Make sure to treat the car, all of the furniture, bag up the toys/pillows/etc in black trash bags and leave them for at least 2 weeks.
Boil brushes, barrettes, etc.
Slather her head in mayo, thick, every strand from root to tip, cover it in a plastic bag, tightly, and then a shower cap, leave it on overnight or all day. Rinse, then comb. Don’t wash it out. Let it sit another day, then wash it.
Use a rosemary oil spray in her hair daily, only wash it every few days as lice likes clean hair. Repeat thre mayo treatment in 7 days, then again in 7 days. That’s too get any eggs that you may have somehow missed…
Keep her home for a couple of weeks. Don’t let her around any friends, etc. Also, treat your own head.

Once you get them completely gone spray her hair everyday with hairspray and u want have this problem again I’m speaking from experience

When I had lice my mom didn’t let me have bedding! It was brutal!

I had the plastic mattress pad only!

She took everything out of my room snd I got rid of it very fast!

1 Like

Get all the nits/live ones out. Then wash her hair with the stuff! That’s how we got rid of ours in our home! It was a nightmare until I sat there and picked everyone out. I didn’t use a comb bcuz they don’t get them all
I use melaleuca shampoo with lavender in it, I’ve not had an issue… so I would say it’s worked so far :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Take a container of mayo slather her head then suffocate them with a bag wrapped around her head for 24 hrs

It was the only thing that worked for me :disappointed:

I did this for two days and it killed all of them when everything else failed

It would be easier to cut some of her hair or at least thin it out with thinning shears

I don’t know if it’s been said yet, but the ONLY thing that worked for us when my daughter got lice was non-alchoholic mouthwash. Put it in a spray bottle and SOAK her hair and then put a shower cap on it for a half hour. You can then wash and comb out her hair afterwards. I drove myself CRAZY trying everything else and literally nothing else worked.

We have always done Mayo and press and seal and left on for at least 3 hours the main thing is treating it at day 7 and 10 again to make sure you don’t have new eggs hatching thus making the 1st treatment void😩good luck! I also agree with the dr prescribed shampoo for them!

I’m a hairdresser. Definitely color it and you may have to cut some length off. Put all her bedding and stuffed animals in a bag and seal it for about 10 days after washing and drying on high heat. Have her sleep on the couch

Use bed bug bombs in your house and treat her head and treat the car

1 Like

Well I do not know the age of the daughter. But when I was in high school I got it myself. My hair is thick and curly. I tried everything I heard someone say dye your hair. I bought the same color my hair was and done it. It got rid of them with that. After I was good I went to a salon and had them cut and thin my hair. If she don’t want to cut it. Then always wear it in a tight ponytail.

1 Like

Don’t cut her hair :roll_eyes: can’t believe the amount of people saying cut her hair she’ll think your punishing her by doin that get tea tree oil use the whole bottle in her hair all on her roots and leave it for a few hours go through her hair wit a comb and get all the lice and eggs out, and when she’s goin out to play with friends or school or crèche or what ever put her hair tight in plate or a bun don’t leave her hair down and try only wash her hair once or twice a week

2 Likes

U need to do the whole family every time or ur wasting ur time

2 Likes

Put all bedding and stuffed animals in a trash bag for a couple weeks and set out in the sun, heat will kill them w no air. Also may have to cut her hair if your not able to get rid of it. Best of luck.

Coconut oil I out it on my girls head and a bag over night worked when nothing else would. I mean I soaked there head with it

Coconut oil with a cap

My dad shaved the underneath of mine and my sisters hair cause it was so thick and we would get it sooo bad. It wasn’t noticeable, just make sure you do the bottom half to where the top half covers whats shaven, or, I used to dye my hair bleach blonde to get rid of it, or have her hair thinned and keep doing the daily combing

Have you tried the nitty gritty comb?

The best thing I ever used on my daughter’s long, thick, curly hair was olive oil mixed with tea tree oil. leave on(I bag her head) for 30-60mins, I was sick of it so I did 60. Lol. They will literally slide off onto your hands.

1 Like

My daughter had head lice for over 8 months. It was terrible. Absolutely NOTHING over the counter worked. Nothing. And I bought everything I could. The only way you will be able to get rid of it is to take her to a head lice clinic. Google head lice clinics in your area. They are expensive! But I would have saved so much time, money and stress had I taken her there right off the bat.

OK so when I had this problem when my girls were little. I was told to use the Hartz green flea and tick shampoo. Put on their hair when it’s dry wrap the hair in a towel and leave it for 45 minutes. Then rinse and comb out with the comb. I used a metal lice comb it worked the best for getting the nits out. It was about a 20.00 comb. We treated again after 72 hours. But you’ve got to treat everyone in the house. Then out tea tree oil in the hair

1 Like