I'm pregnant and tested positive for alcohol even though I haven't drank in months: Advice?

So I’m pregnant with my first, so I’m doing everything I can to make sure my baby comes out healthy! But this morning I got a call from my doctor saying that the results from my drug test came back positive for alcohol. They also told me I have a yeast infection, which I’ve heard can cause false positives for alcohol? I haven’t touched a single drop of alcohol since I found out I was pregnant ( about four months ago ) so I was and still am extremely confused as to why it came back positive?? I’m stressing about it now because I don’t need that on my record because it is FALSE. I’m going to ask that they re test me at my next appointment. Has anyone had something like this happen??

35 Likes

I didnt think drs did drug tests for alcohol unless they are a known alcoholic…

11 Likes

Mouthwash can cause it too some mouthwashes have alcohol in it

4 Likes

Hand sanitizer can as well

Cough syrup. Hand sanitizer. Juice can have a small amount of alcohol.

1 Like

Was it a urine test or mouth swab?

Maybe got mixed up with someone else test

3 Likes

Why would they drug test you? Something doesn’t add up

3 Likes

Well, I don’t know if this helps much but my sister is a recovering alcoholic, and the doctor has told her to stay away from ANYTHING with alcohol in it; hand sanitizer, mouth wash, etc.

1 Like

This is my fourth pregnancy and I’ve never been tested for drugs or alcohol- is this a requirement in some states?!

4 Likes

Why are they testing anyway?! Are you on some type of MAT?! If so they can send it out and confirm!!

Did you use mouthwash, take cough medicine, have something with a lot of vanilla extract? These are just some of the ways people can ingest alcohol without truly knowing.

2 Likes

Where they do this at so I can avoid those places at all costs?

2 Likes

My obgyn said the drug test everyone randomly the entire pregnancy. I was tested randomly as well. I think it’s up to the desecration of the obgyn

2 Likes

They test all mom’s…it’s a screening either with urine you give or blood they take

3 Likes

Could the tests be mixed with someone elses?

1 Like

I’m 7 weeks pregnant. I went to my doctor who’ve I seen for 15 yrs and had 1 child with already, they had me fill out and sign all new paperwork. One of the forms is giving them consent for random drug & alcohol testing throughout your pregnancy as both can cause issues to the baby. I was tested at my second appointment. The paper also stated that if the test ever comes back positive they will drop you as a patient. I was surprised by this, but from what I heard from other moms this is getting common.

To the OP- I hope they will retest you before dropping you, and hopefully you are and have been clean.

2 Likes

my obgyn drug tested me the whole time i was pregnant, never had used or came back positive i’m sure it’s based on insurance or what state you’re in but in texas i had it every doctors visit.

1 Like

It’s routine screening so if you test positive for drugs and such they’ll report you.

1 Like

Alcohol level is a specifically ordered test, it’s not part of a routine drug screen panel.

4 Likes

That’s crazy you need to ask them to test you again! 4 months later they can’t find alcohol in your system if you aren’t drinking

1 Like

It is completely ROUTINE and MANDATORY for obgyn to drug and alcohol test you !!! A lot of you people on here are a bunch of assholes who have nothing better to do than be a degrading troll

Is this a US thing? I don’t ever recall this testing in Canada.

5 Likes

In some places they send the placenta off and test it after birth as well. Wouldn’t worry about that test yet, just keep abstaining and doing what you know ya need to. Stressing won’t help you or baby right now.

1 Like

New York state OBGYNs require a urine sample for EVERY pregnant person at EVERY visit. Some places it’s just their rules and routine. Doesnt mean shes an alcoholic or a drug addict.

But anyway hun, maybe you ingested something that had alcohol in it’s contents. Like the other girls are saying, mouthwash etc… I wouldn’t sweat it too much. But I’d definitely talk to your doctor more about it.

5 Likes

I’m not pregnant but I had that happen to me and I don’t drink

2 Likes

Certain foods can test positive for Alcohol and Other Drug substances because drugs are made from food like poppy seeds they can test positive for heroin even if you eat just eat a poppy-seed bagel have them retest you and if you still come up positive for the alcohol then it’s something you’re eating

5 Likes

People go to OBs and don’t know they are tested. The state requires testing here.

They do randoms. You just dont know. I peed in a cup every dr visit. Which i had reasons. They had to actually watch my protien levels. And actually every dr does drug test. They just dont tell you. A lot of things can cause a false positive. Just watch what you eat and drink. Medications included.

2 Likes

I’m pregnant and I have never been tested for any drugs or alcohol wow that’s crazy!

2 Likes

Some people have slow secreter so it takes awhile to get out of ur system.

Read the fine print. You consented to it on OB paperwork. Just ask them to retest. They most likely will.

1 Like

Have them re-test you. The testing during pregnancy isn’t always accurate. If you take dr prescribed heart burn meds it can make a false positive for meth…they sure have a way of scaring pregnant women with tests!!!

1 Like

I tested positive for alcohol because of hand sanitizer! It was a breathalyzer though. I had the nurse take the breathalyzer and when she failed too, she believed me. She washed her hands and got a new test, then it was 0.

3 Likes

That’s the first I heard them testing for alcohol. I was never tested during my pregnancies. I have only been tested after baby and they didn’t test for alcohol then either.

4 Likes

I would ask for retesting now

3 Likes

I think you need to rewatch season 15 of Grey’s Anatomy

5 Likes

Everyone asking why would they drug test you, they do it to everyone . They can do it from your blood or urine , they don’t just get these samples just for a drug test but while they are checking for other things they do it anyways .

2 Likes

If you have a UTI/yeast infection that can cause you to test positive for alcohol in your urine. Once your infection is clear, you should test negative. I’m sure your Dr. is well aware of this. It will be fine. To you people accusing her of drinking, etc., get a clue!

9 Likes

Some offices randomly drug screen. I’m on my second pregnancy and with each one when signing all the paperwork I signed one saying they will randomly drug screen through out the pregnancy. They never tell me when they do it. I sometimes see it on my bills

They can’t do anything unless you and baby test positive when babies born. Idk how alcohol could pop up if you haven’t had any. Doesn’t matter how slow your body is

1 Like

If9 you use mouthwash it will be positive everytime

They going to give u drug test up till u give birth and if it postive d.h.s will be thear to ask u question when the baby get hear…

1 Like

Wait! I’ve been pregnant 3 times and I’ve never been tested for alcohol. Why would the doctor test for alcohol?

11 Likes

If this happened to you and you honestly didn’t drink than it’s probably not an uncommon occurrence … I’m sure if you are calm and tell them the truth they will believe you and they will probably see there is some other explanation. You’ll be fine don’t stress. If you haven’t done anything wrong no reason to worry.

2 Likes

Is this a common thing? Do doctors just automatically test u and if they do aren’t they supposed to tell you what they’re testing for?

I was never tested for alcohol? That’s odd. Where you from?

2 Likes

I know this is bad luck for the OP, but I’m so glad to see this being implemented, it’s about time

4 Likes

I was never tested for alcohol during my pregnancies, so I dont have much advise. Ask them to retest you and ask if there have ever been any other false positives, explain the situation. I was randomly drug tested during my pregnancy and passed every time (I smoked pot until I found out I was pregnant, stopped as soon as I got a positive pregnancy test) but the baby somehow tested positive for thc after she was born. I had to drug test for dcs for 2 months while they did an investigation (baby never left my side) They ultimately closed the case cause they found no evidence of drug use, and I never failed a test As long as you test clean going forward everything should be fine.

1 Like

I would say you’ve eaten/drank something that contains alcohol. Things like hot cross buns and mouth wash can give a positive reading :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

don’t worry, if you have done no drug or drank, when they test the baby’s mec, it will come back negative…now if you did,…it will come back positive & the urine will be done for anything recent,And yes, the baby’s hair can also be tested. And the testing will be done. As for being done while you are pregnant, …I will question that. Are you always at your appointments? Are you canceling your appointment.?? Then they just might test you.

Ask for a 2nd testing

1 Like

A few years ago I tested positive for barbiturates- which I absolutely was not taking. I was so confused! Then I went to the lab, they told me they first mass test a lot of samples at once (like 20) to save money. So basically they’ll put drops of 20 peoples blood together to save on tests. If those come clean, then they don’t have to individually test which saves the lab on expenses. But if it does not come back clean then they do the individual tests. The doctor I had read the report wrong. The mass test came back positive but my individual test came back negative. That might be the issue?

3 Likes

Why would they test you for alcohol that’s crazy. So many things have alcohol in them. Plus, of course, it’s not good for the baby but it isn’t illegal. That’s so crazy.

I was tested for drugs and alcohol my first pregnancy because it was a religious hospital. They do it to everyone. They also test for drugs and alcohol when your not pregnant so I don’t see the big issue. But I would ask for a retest because a UTI or any kind of infection can cause a false positive

1 Like

I dont think I’ve ever been tested for alcohal… drugs yes… alcohal no

Yeah I took a drug test said I was taking opiates and I have never taken one they retested me then it was fine

There’s something else behind this… why where you even tested for drugs in the first place??? I’ve had 3 full term pregnancies and never ever have been drug tested or alcohol tested or whatever

3 Likes

I’ve had two kids and currently pregnant with my 3rd…I’ve never heard of drug and alcohol testing during pregnancy…i.mean unless they have a reason to

Mouthwash contains alcohol & so do deodorant

1 Like

Everyone saying they never been drug tested everyone is drug tested while pregnant you may not have known you was but you was.

11 Likes

Some over the counter meds will show up on the drug screens like cough syrup

Pregnant or not drinking isn’t illegal. I’d be asking some more questions at my next appointment.

What state are you from that they do this???

Doctor’s offices almost always test your fluids (urine &/or blood) for substances whether you know it or not. You only find out if there’s an issue with your levels or you test positive for something. Just fyi!

5 Likes

Maybe you used mouth wash. I know someone who failed a test bc of that for Publix

Theres a sign in the bathroom at my hospital that plainly says all women are tested for drugs and etc during pregnancy

1 Like

Weird that they even test for alcohol when a lot of doctors say you can occasionally have a glass of red wine while pregnant. I’ve never heard of a doctor testing for alcohol , at least not where I’m from :woman_shrugging:t2:

13 Likes

My first OB had a sign up that he did random drug testing on patients so I understand just ask to retest soon

1 Like

Yes I did … when I had my son.27 years ago I had him 10 weeks early … we both about died … long story short they said I had drugs in my system… I was pissed… I didnt do drugs ever! And didnt smoke NOTHING!! I TOLD THEM I WOULD SUE THEM … THAT WAS BS
THEY came back and finally said well MAYBE it was due to abupting … wow what the hell… yes stand your grounds… flase reports r and can be daming to u both…

3 Likes

I am not sure why your being tested. However, alochol testing can go back 72 hours. If you want to be retested to show your not partaking in alochol, you will need to do it sooner than later.
In NYS, positive is positive, really no getting around it.

2 Likes

Maybe Idaho, and all wicked states you’re in lol never heard of such thing

2 Likes

In ohio they test everyone. I dont know about alcohol but a drug panel. I was told I tested positive for thc and nicotine…this was about 3 months in or so when I was told but the labs were done at my first appt…6 weeks. I had just found out I was pregnant and obviously had been smoking prior to finding out… it wasnt an issue later. I carried and delivered fine. Of course tested negative at delivery and the babies too. Could just be a timing thing. When were the labs taken would be my question…Maybe they are just getting the labs back. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Yikes! Have you had your glucose test? Uncontrolled diabetes can cause alcohol in the urine. Do you have excess thirst, excess urinattion?

4 Likes

Some offices do test for that stuff while pregnant but I would have told them to fuck off. You can have an occasional glass of wine while pregnant anyways.

Maybe the infection caused it. I would make an appt with doctor and ask questions and get re-tested. Also about not consuming alcohol for 4 months. I also heard the muffins (and the like) with poppy seeds will cause a positive for drugs.

2 Likes

I would call the doctor and ask talk to them directly that you are concerned. There are other medical issues that could affect you that show up as alcohol. Explain that you haven’t drank at all and ask if there are any other things that could provide a false positive that you should be concerned about. I have a cousin with health issues who has never drank and his doctor told him to stop drinking. Turns out he had some type of other issues that presented as alcohol in his system. Diabetes, liver issues, etc. call your doctor and don’t allow anyone to judge you if you haven’t actually drank alcohol.

3 Likes

Otc cough medicine gas alcohol might help you to narrow it down good luck

2 Likes

They test for alcohol? Like a breathalyzer? Or a blood test? I’ve never heard of that before

2 Likes

You don’t have to ask. They’re going to do it regardless

1 Like

I drank a single glass of red wine 2-3 times a week…they never said a word.

4 Likes

Doctors test your blood or urine sometimes your first visit etc… some dont ask

1 Like

If it is a false positive your doctor should be able to send your urine back to the lab to be further examined, at that time they will be able to pin point exactly what it is in your urine that is causing the false positive. I know this from personal experience with false positive urine screenings. So as long as youre being truthful you should have nothing to worry about

3 Likes

Uh… They normally do the drug testing when you have the baby, but if its because of a yeast infection go take another test when done or during.

2 Likes

I’ve read before certain foods can cause this?

I’m in ohio. Central/ south east and my ob tests urine at every single pregnancy visit. For alcohol and a 12panel drug screen and 3 other tests

1 Like

My husband went to drug and alcohol treatment and tested positive for alcohol use, (he has been sober ever since treatment) that is how we found out he is diabetic.

6 Likes

Drug test for alcohol? My gracious

Did they use an alcohol wipe before drawing your blood?

This just seems stupid for me…i had two babies…never got tested for anything…I got urine test once for a pregnancy test. Why stress mothers out more than they already are? I had a glass of wine every now and then…my girls are so healthy and so beautiful! This is just stupid…test for drugs if the mother is addicted…yes I agree…but this…just stupid.

8 Likes

did you eat something made with it in it?

I’ve never had a DT during pregnancy or after but I have heard mouth wash etc can cause it

Virginia test for drugs in a pee test during ur whole pregnancy it’s now manditory

I’m in an RN and most times they do test for alcohol and drugs and if you haven’t drank anything then you need to definitely talk to your doctor because there’s certain medical conditions that can cause alcohol to be measured in the body

6 Likes

A lot of shit I didn’t fine out I was having a baby till I was 8 weeks after seeing 4 different doctors that said I have a chest infection the other said I had the flu the other said I haf flu chest infection and back infection I was taking that many tabs they give me I was drinking 4 weeks into fining out and drink all the time but then the sickness started everything made me ill found a doctor and craw round to see him as I was so bad and with all the tabs not working he said do you think you could be pregnant I said no I still get my mouthy bleeds he said I will check you and he said I think your 8 weeks I said to him why is every part of my body so sore 3 other doctors give me tabs I was eating them but I had a very healthy baby girl 8oz 14lb almost 9 she is now 32 with a boy and girl

Have you taken any cold/flu meds? I’ve heard they can show a positive… Good luck mamma, I’m sure it will all work out.

2 Likes

My oldest is 12 and they did a urine test. When asked why, they said they run a panel for everything. I never knew that. As well before I could recieve my pain meds before giving birth, they ran urine to see if anything was in my system. Seems standard to me :woman_shrugging: id ask for it to be ran again with the same urine, offer to come in that same day you call for another one. Tell them it is making you feel uneasy that that’s what came up when you havent drank

If you tested positive and u know u didnt drink, who cares?? Or are there some type of repercussions for testing positive for alcohol at your OB appt? I never once was tested for anything while pregnant with both my children but that was also 10-11 years ago. It seems to me like it’s a nonissue. But again I really dont understand the rules/guidelines for testing positive. Obviously if they were gunna try and take ur baby away at birth them yes, give em hell! And demand they take a dif/ new blood test etc to determine that there hasnt been alcohol in ur system for months. But otherwise I’d chalk it up to a flaw in the test

3 Likes

If it’s a sign of diabetes maybe have your drs check you for gestational diabetes

3 Likes

Have them test you for diabetes

1 Like