Is a 6:30 bed time too early?

I see a lot of moms on here sending in a post about sleep schedules, and I’m just wondering if it’s not normal for my 1 yr old and almost 3 yr old to be in bed by 6:30-7:30 at the latest? We wake up around 6 am, nap time 10:30, bathe them together & bedtime 6:30 for my youngest. Then snack, snuggles, and bed for my toddler at 7:30? People… even family are baffled because of early bedtimes? This has always been normal for us. When my toddler sees its dark outside, she starts saying she’s sleepy. It was the schedule I set for my oldest daughter (the toddler) and just carried on after having our 1 yr old. I’m a young mom, a young wife without friends with kids, so I’m not sure if I should be extending bedtimes or sticking to what we know??

110 Likes

Normal! Our 8 month old is in bed by 6:30, we are up at 6am. Babies need sleep!!!

My son is 8 and since he was 1 hes been going to bed at 730. Only time he stays up later is if he stays at someone’s house for the night

2 Likes

My kids all are in bed by 7 ages 9 down to 2. They are all up at 6am for school. If I don’t have them in bed by at least 7:30 the morning is hell on wheels

My 3 and 5 year old go to bed at 7:30pm latest. They’re normally in bed by 18:45. Tonight my 3 year old fell asleep at 18:00 on the dot. They both wake up between 06:45 and 07:00 :blush:

When I’m lucky they’ll wake up at 07:30 :wink:

At 1 with DST mine was out at 5pm.

Not at all! My friend puts his 4 (5 year old in December) in bed by 7:30. Parents need time to decompress too

I wouldnt change their schedule, especially if the routine is working well for your family. I don’t think that’s too early

2 Likes

I wouldn’t change the system if it’s working ! . Maybe if you needed a later wake up time you could try later and even then doesn’t mean the kids are going to sleep in any longer lol

My baby (almost 3) goes to bed at 9 and we get up at 6:45. It really depends on the child. My now 2p year old needed more sleep so he was always in bed earlier than 9 as a toddler.

Sounds right to me. 630-730

My mom put me and my sisters in bed by 8:30 every week night until we were about 12 or 13.

My little girl has always went to bed at 7 unless she has a really late nap, she’s 2.

What works for you is the best dont worry about what other say …you guys also get up early mayne once the 3 year old goes to school maybe do 8 …just depends on the child too

Awesome they consistency and structure IS SO important!!

If she goes to bed 6.30 then it’s bedtime. Mine goes to bet 1am. That’s our bedtime.

Can I just ask? How great is that??? Lol mine go to bed around 8-9 but 6:30 seems like a dreammmmm

1 Like

It won’t last like this forever. So take advantage

Momma do what works best for you and your littles. No one knows their needs more than you!!

Aound like my schedule but are up earlier

All that matters is that it works for you and your family. As they get older I’m sure it will change

Ours is 730 latest
It was 630 for my youngest until she was about 1

My 5 and 3 year olds are on that same schedule. They need their sleep.

Our kids don’t wake up until late in the morning like 10ish they lay down at one normally wake up by 4 then go to bed at 9

Personally, I like a later wake up time so I’d put them to bed later. But if it works for you and your babies, then it’s normal!

1 Like

All 9 of my kids ages 13,11,10,9,8,6,5,2 and 1 have quiet time at 7pm and bedtime at 8am. During the week the 6oldest get up at 615am for school. The babies will sometimes be up then also if not they r up by 7ish and down for naps between 1030-1130.

If it works for you that’s all that matters.

1 Like

Well considering most of America don’t get home until 6 cause they have to work all day . I think yes. Do you want to spend time with your kids ?

my 8 & 2 year old both go to bed at 7:30. My 8 year old usually reads for a bit, but if we break the cycle everyone is cranky!

No it isn’t an unusual bed time! Bed times depend on the family schedule. As in if you get up at 6am and your child is asleep by 7 that is only 11 hours of sleep! Also all babies are different!

My son was doing this and I was like hell yea only to find out his iron was low… however we got him what he needed and now the lil monster don’t hardly ever sleep lmao

When my LO was 1 yrs old her beftime was 630-7pm… she is niw 2.5 yrs old and bedtime is 8

We out our 6 year old, 4 year old and almost 2 year old to bed between 6:30 and 7:30. They have always had that routine as it works for us. You do what works for you :slightly_smiling_face:

That sounds like a good time to me. I started my scheduling like that due to the fact that I had work at 6. I would have to shuttle her to which babysitter by 5:30 when she was younger. She’s two now and we do bedtime at 8-8:30 to get ready for preschool in the morning. I think whatever works best for your babies is the best

If it works doñt chañg3 it

Getting almost 12 hours a sleep a night sounds lovely!! If it is working keep at it for as long as you can :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s whatever works for you guys. Everyone is different. My 16 month old goes to sleep around 915-930 bc she is up way to early with an early bed time

My almost 2 years go to sleep 730 the latest 8 is actually pushing it and she sleep to 6 and takes 1 45 min to hour nap it work for us and her because when she doesn’t get her sleep she has a real bad attitude haha

1 Like

My 7 and 5 yr old on school nights are in bed by 7/7:30 they wake up at 6:15 daily. Weekends i allow them to stay up til 9

What ever works is good… :wink:

If it works for your family its fine. You will know its time for a later bedtime when it gets harder to get them to sleep.

My daughter is 7 and has always gone to bed between 6:30-7:00. She is an early bird and when she stays up later everyone suffers. She will stay up late for her dance class and special events but this works best for us. She does much better with the routine.

Geez, I don’t get home from until 6:30pm. I wish! If it works for your family, stick with it.

If they are already adjusted to a routine do not change if it will make it harder

My 2 year old is generally in bed by 7, no later than 8 during special circumstances (such as visiting with grandparents or a holiday). He also sleeps until 7-8am. This is in addition to a 2-2.5hr nap during the day.
The last two days (since the time change) he has put himself to bed at about 6.

Stick to what you know and the best thing for YOUR family and household.

I think this sounds great! Sleep is very important in our household, too. They sleep a lot when they’re young because they’re growing so much. If it isn’t broken, don’t fix it. I bet your family members are jealous :wink:

Everyone is different, but when do you eat dinner?

I wish my baby did that. If I put her to hed earlier than 8 she is up before the sun. Lol. My oldest is 5 and she goes to bed early (between 7-8) and on weekends sleeps until 9am. She has always loved sleep. My middle is 3, almost 4, and she hates bedtime and wont go to sleep before 9-10 most nights. Unless she is sick. And always wakes up by 7am no matter what. Lol

My 4 and a half year old has had a 7-7:30 pm bedtime for about 2 years now. She doesn’t nap at all and by that time, she is cranky and tired. I work from home and am with her 24/7, so by then, I’m needing some time to myself.

The only question here should be ‘does it work for your family?’ That’s your answer

My kids are 15, 14 and 10. They go to bed at 730!! :rofl::rofl: Yep, gotta have them on a tight schedule. All three have Adhd and one of them is also Autistic. :eyes:

They get up at 530am…

This is almost the exact times I used to my kids around the same ages. I used to open at work and have to bring my kids with me at 630 which meant we had to be up by 515 and out of the door by 615, if your kids sleep thru the night and it works for you so be it!

My girls ages 6 and 2 have consistently since birth started our bedtime routine at 6:30 to be done and in bed by 7:15. We are early rises in our house so it works for us.

My son will be five his bed time has always been 7-730 he’s up at 6

1 Like

Nope my 2 and 4 year old go to bed at 730 . I think between 630 and 730 are perfect times for the little ones :heart:

Thats awesome!!! Im jealous!!

1 Like

That’d sounds normal. I do about the same. The baby is in bed by 7 and the rest of them by 730-8

You just do whatever you feel is right for your family. Do not worry about what others say. If this schedule works for all of you then, by all means, stick to it. Just don’t change it if it works

1 Like

I put my kids to bed at 730 no biggie

That’s almost the exact schedule my almost 15 month old is on. She used to goto bed around 6:30 now it’s around 7-7:30. But she also gets up anywhere from 5:30-6:30am and naps 11-1 usually. I see no issues with it. Also we have tried keeping her up later and it makes no difference in the time she will wake up. It’s still always 5:30-6:30 so if I need to get stuff done or have some me time I don’t feel bad about putting her down earlier. If she’s being good and not tired and cranky I let her stay up longer. They are little , they don’t need to be up until 9pm esp if they are up very early!

It just really depends on what works best for your schedule. for our family, that’s way too early. We have things we do at nights, and my husband sometimes works late.
My kids go to bed at 9pm and are usually up around 7:30.

1 Like

If this works for you and your family, then it’s perfect. You’re doing a great job, Momma.

1 Like

My 1 year old is usually in bed around 6 because she only takes 1 nap in the morning and my 6 year old goes to bed at 8 on school nights and 9 on weekends

1 Like

Go with her cues. If you go against them you’re asking for trouble.

My sons nearly 2 and nearly 1 go bed at 8pm and sleep through until 7.30-8 am

My daughter will be 2 in December and her bed time ( Depending on if we are busy outside of our home.) Has always been 7:30pm we plan on doing the same thing with the twins when they are here.

If it’s working for you and your family, then it’s all good…

1 Like

All of my kids had a 7:00 bedtime from birth until they were around 9 years old. Then it increased to 8:00 bedtime. My youngest, now 12, still only has a 9:00 bedtime.

My 2 year old is usually laying down between 7 and 730

I wish my kid would go to bed that early :joy::joy::joy: shes asleep by 11:30 at the latest :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Nothing wrong with it. My 9 month old goes to bed between 7 and 9… I keep trying to get him in bed at the earlier time… he wakes at 5am when my husband gets up for work

Thats not to bad if you wakes up that early

Do what works for you.its the same with my son, a fixed schedule. He is now 5 and by 7pm, shower, dinner, brush teeth, bottle of water and prayer by 750pm and in sound asleep by 8pm… In the summer also when its bright outside and he sees the time…he reminds me…lol.

I have all my kids get ready and go to bed at 8, regardless of age. ( my oldest are 12 , youngest 3 )
They can read, draw, etc if they are quiet.
Lights out by 930

They are your children do not stop…

It’s pretty much the same schedule I kept for my kiddo

If it works for them, who cares?

If it works for you dont worry about it

My 3 yr old goes to bed by 730

Do whatever works for you & them. If it’s working don’t change it for someone bc they think it’s too early.

1 Like

4 kids here, 10,6 almost 5,and 2 and they all go to bed at 7.
Now 10 year old stays up in his room For awhile plays legos,or in his ipod. And 5and 6 yo have tablets for a bit. But younger 3 are usually asleep by 8. 10 year old by 9. They all get up early, usually by 6:30. And are very active kids. So this is what works for us :woman_shrugging: plus mommy and daddy need time after bed to chill out too.

My 4 year old goes up to bed around 6-6.30 asleep by 7 and I still have to wake her at 7.30am to get ready for school, she’s always loved her sleep though

Both my 1 year old and almost 3 year old have always been early bed timers lol they go to their rooms by 5:15, and are asleep by 5:30-5:40. They’ve always gotten crabby around 4:30 and the earlier bedtime has been great. They get up at 6am and my youngest naps around 12pm. It all works out. Whatever is best for your kids.

My boy sleeps 6:30, it’s normal for us sometimes even sleeps before if he is really tired and had no naps ( he active all day).

Does it work well for you?then it’s RIGHT.(Mom of 5grown and 15 grandchildren,have done early and late and in between schedules ,see my daughter’s using various to the advantage of their particular family ,you are all good :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:)

1 Like

My son 5 and daughter 3 go to bed at 5.45 read book and then dvd both asleep by 630 the past few nites my daughter been in bed at 5 and slept til 8 next day both need there sleep or they r cranky the next day its what works for u as a family and u know what ur children need

I think if it works for your kiddos, that’s what you should do, regardless of what anyone else says. My 1 year old goes to bed between 7 and 7:30 every night, he wakes up at 7, and still takes 2 naps also, 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. every day. If his schedule gets disrupted, he gets tired/crabby! But that’s just what works for us. :blush:

My 9 month old wakes up at 6:30am, naps 9:30-11:30, naps again around 2:30-4 and then bedtime between 6:30-7:30.

My two old kids 10 & 8 go to bed between 8-8:30 every night even weekends.

Do what works for you!

Stick to what you know, if it works then it’s perfect. If you extend it you may end up with cranky babies. My daughter had a 7 pm bed time until about 4th grade, and it was what worked for her.

My kids are 5 and 7 and go to bed at 7 and wake up at 6. They’ve always had this routine and because of that we never have to fight bed time. Early to bed and early to wake up is a good habit for anyone to have. A good night’s sleep is important.

My 1.5yr old goes down at 7pm. 6 if she didn’t nap well in the day. Whatever works for your family.

Before 1 year both of my kids were in bed by 630. They are now 2.5 and 4 and their bedtime is 7:30.

If it works for you then absolutely do it! My children are feral, they don’t sleep, lol! My 3 year old usually goes to bed about 930/up about 8a and 7 month old about 8pm/up by 6am (neither of them sleep through the night.

1 Like

Mine r in bed by 9 and up at 7am

Of it work keep it up

1 Like

Even when my kids were tiny they went to bed at 8pm. I didn’t get home from work until 5:30pm - 5:45pm and I truly wanted time with them! I also needed to feed and bathe them!
You need to do a bedtime that works best for you. Keep in mind, too early may make it difficult to do evening activities when they arise.

My kids are 10, 8 and 5 and all in bed 7.30 on a school night and 9pm at weekend or holidays unless we are out. Thursday they a bit later because after school classes but boy do we know about it next day. All kids are different. My oldest will start to get a bit later soon but just now they need it at 7.30 x

I think everyone is different but my 1 year old goes to bed around 8-8:30