Is baby cereal safe?

Soo i had a question for the mommas I recently seen a video on fb of a mother using a magnet and there was iron in the baby gerber wheat cereal. I just recently started feeding my baby the gerber banana cereal and I noticed little chunks of black so I put the magnet to the test and there was chunks of iron in my daughters bottle following the magnet and I immediately got grossed out and threw it out what are everyone’s thoughts on that? Is it safe? (I’m a new mom so I just want to know whats best for my daughter)

9 Likes

Good question. I’m starting my baby on cereal too. So I would love to see what you ladies think!

Its 100% safe. Our bodies need iron or the blood gets to thin. Iron is in every thing look at labels and vitamins. Iron also fights lead which is bad

3 Likes

Yes is safe. Generations have been fed on this.

I only use the baby oatmeal and not the rice the rice can have arsenic

3 Likes

If you have concerns ask her Doctor.

2 Likes

People need iron it’s absolutely crucial for your blood otherwise you become anaemic.

Have to have iron. No iron = red blood cells don’t work

1 Like

Tons of babyfoods are recalled all the time…everything from formula to babyfood…its actually cheaper to make your own babyfoods and such…

2 Likes

It should be fine. I feed all three of mine that when they was baby’s

Iron rich foods are healthy for the brain… There is heavy metals in everything unfourtnately, but you dont want to worry about that till you are feeding your baby real table foods… So around 18 months you can do things to get heavy metals out of the body… But until then baby formula, breast milk, cereal and all that is important…

If you are breastfeeding it’s not necessary, it’s full of empty calories. (Lactation consultant) lol speak with your dr if you have concerns tho! We went with baby led weaning after the 6m mark tho & it was amazing

It’s all good and don’t let people berate you. They didn’t know it all themselves at the start either! Iron is a good thing.

1 Like

Formula is not safe. We were made to feed babies from our bodies & we are quick to shove formula down our kids throats. I’m one of the mothers who formula fed all 3 of my kids now I look back I just wish I would have stuck with breast feeding

I fed all my children cereal and never had an issue. If u r really concerned then ask the baby’s dr. Also listen to ur baby. If something isnt right they let u know. They always will let u know if something is wrong

Perfectly fine honey!

They always fortify baby formulas with iron
when my son was growing up we had to put him on extensive iron as he had no iron in his body at all so don’t give a baby or child too much iron but it’s something that your body needs

It’s safe. Generations have grown up on it, and you have to have iron to be healthy.

Ask a pediatrician but dont do rice bc theres nothing in it but empty carbs. Oatmeal is best.

It’s supposed to be there

I feel more concerned with the part that said the cereal was in a bottle… that’s not advised.

I never used baby cereal on my toddler when she was a baby

One you shouldn’t put baby cereal in bottles they can aspirated it and choke, two baby cereals are iron fortified they even say it on the containers.

10 Likes

Baby cereal isn’t needed honestly. It’s just a filler to make babies go longer between feeds.

1 Like

Make your own stuff. Super easy. Blend single grain oatmeal.

I stuck to the baby oatmeal.

2 Likes

If you take the time to actually read the containers, it says there is iron added to the cereal because babies are at risk of becoming iron deficiency anemic.

6 Likes

Honestly my 4 didn’t like the rice cereal at all… I would try to do formula/ or breast milk whichever you are doing and skip right to fruits and veggies! Good luck!

I used the organic oatmeal, put it in his bottle and then started on it and there was no issues- I cant remember the brand name but it said gluten free dairy free on the box

All my kids had issues with reflux so my pediatrician suggested using cereal in the bottles. It really helped them so as long as your not going over board with the cereal making them too thick they will be fine. And i saw that video too she was freaking out but it literally tells you that it contains iron and no it wont hurt them.

1 Like

The same thing happens if you smash up breakfast cereal because it’s all fortified with iron…

2 Likes

I asked my doctor friend with a little one about the iron fortified Gerber cereals and we did the magnet test ourselves. She rubbed the iron particulate between her fingers and it reduces to ultra fine powder. She said in her opinion it was absolutely fine.
I mixed the cereal with fruit purée for breakfast for my little one once we began introducing solids with breastfeeding.

1 Like

My kids ate it and no problems. My daughter was allergic to the oatmeal and broke out. Also, my pediatrician told me to put rice in the bottle to help with acid reflux.

My 5mo eats this, have no issues

3 Likes

We use baby oatmeal. With bananas, and whatever.

It literally says iron fortified on the container. Our bodies produce iron naturally. The tiny amounts that are in this stuff won’t hurt anything. My son’s formula is iron fortified. Bet if I took a magnet to it some would stick.

3 Likes

Use beachnut they have baby cereal and rice baby food and everything it a lot better then gerber. Also girl do what you need to do with your baby and don’t listen to what anyone else has to say, just because they think they know it everything. When in doubt just call your pediatrician to ask. I had to put my daughter on cereal but her pediatrician was okay and it was a reason. Honestly look into beachnut it amazing

I though there was a little iron in the food to make the food healthy and for iron intake :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

I hardly used baby cereal but when I did I’d use beechnut. Not sure if they’ve had any issues or not.

My baby is 7 mos and I do baby oatmeal. But have been feeding him more fruits and veggies

I personally don’t use any Gerber… I used organic but… organic doesn’t always mean the best either. I’ll just leave this here…
https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/17/health/baby-foods-arsenic-lead-toxic-metals-wellness/index.html

1 Like

It literally says on the label “fortified with iron”
It’s SUPPOSED TO BE THERE
Humans need to ingest certain amounts of minerals - one of these being iron and babies NEED iron
Stop panicking over shit you see on Facebook most of it comes from dumbasses who have no clue what they’re talking about

10 Likes

It literally says its iron fortified. 🤦

I used rice cereal with all 4 of my children, they’re all fine. Just saying…

Its supposed to be in there…the iron is added because babies are prone to iron deficiencies.

1 Like

Well… it’s iron lol but necessary.

The vide is used as propaganda to scare people. Its completely mis leading. Its fortified with Iron so Of course a magnet will work in it. The iron is there for a healthy brain development.

3 Likes

It is just iron. You can do it will all cereals. Pour some cheerios in a bowl with water and put a magnet in. Same thing happens.

1 Like

I had to put a little in my daughter’s bottles because even with ar formula she was spitting up really badly. Like others have said, it says iron fortified on the container. As I have told people before, there are people who freak out because there are studies that say the plastic containers a lot of microwavable food comes in cause cancer and all that but at the end of the day there is probably stuff in the air we breath that can cause cancer but if I stop breathing I’ll be dead in a few minutes. Not to say cancer isn’t a bad disease and not to say some things aren’t worse than others but we can only worry so much about stuff without making ourselves crazy.

Babies need iron, or they become anemic, and can get rickets. We don’t give them iron tablets, but both formula and cereals are iron fortified. Breastfeeding mothers give their babies vitamin D so they absorb the iron from the breastmilk easier.

My son is not a big fan but we stuck with beachnut

No problems and I gave it to my girls,grandchildren as well as Infants at a daycare I worked at for 20 plus years

They add iron to baby food because they need it. It’s an essential mineral. And it’s a metal. But your body needs it…So…

Iron is a pretty important mineral…

Its supposed to be there, also, stop putting cereal in a baby bottle.

It’s a scare tactic, just like the videos of Huggies woes with the cons of glad in it. Or the Capri sun with the rat inside… :woman_facepalming:t2: It’s fortified with iron to help your baby eat properly especially since you’re not beast feeding. There’s nothing wrong unless she’s getting constipated.

All 3 of mine are it and have no issues at all

Also your body needs some iron or you run the risk of becoming anemic

Do baby lead weaning. No need for baby oatmeal/baby Cereal.

2 Likes

The iron is necessary for babies… It wont hurt them.

5 Likes

Personally never used it, started all 4 of my kids on natural, home cooked fruit, veg and meat. Was always told it had no nutritional value. And this would be my suggestion to anyone else too.

2 Likes

It’s safe and so is the iron. It’s supposed to be in there.

5 Likes

From everything I have read baby cereal has no nutritional value. But to each their own. We don’t use it

4 Likes

My kids didnt die so I mean whatever…lol

6 Likes

The iron is supposed to be in the cereal. It’s actually good for your baby! Most cereals and formulas are iron based. My daughter does just fine and loves her gerber cereal.

5 Likes

There is no nutritional value with baby cereal. It’s basically a filler.

5 Likes

You can make your owe baby cereal if you put oatmeal or rice in a food processor or blender.

1 Like

I would ask a medical professional like your child’s pediatrician. Not us.
Best of luck!

7 Likes

The formula my son uses has cereal in it for thickness for spit up.

My kid ate it for 1 full year everyday for breakfast. She loved it🤷🏼‍♀️

1 Like

My kids are 16 & 18 yrs old… Ate it as a filler in their night time bottles and are still rocking this whole life thing!

7 Likes

Doctor told me to use it with all 3 of mine. My middle son started it when he was only 3 weeks old because he was so big and just formula, he was eating way to much and it made him sick. With the cereal, he did just fine and stopped eating so much and never got sick again. Nothing ever happened to my kids and they are all very healthy. Some people have an issue with it and some don’t. Our pediatrician and the others in the same office tell the parents to use it tho

1 Like

The teeny grains of iron are supposed to be there. It’s ok.

Check the amount of iron listed in the nutritional value. If it has iron, there will be iron in the cereal.

1 Like

It says on the containter that there is iron in it. I dont understand how people are so “shocked” or “surprised”. Iron is vital for you while you are pregnant with your baby and it is vital for your baby :blush: No ones trying to harm your baby, dont let what people post on the internet scare you! Do your own research before you start believing what the crazies are posting on facebook :blush:

10 Likes

The baby oatmeal is more nutritious but it’s just small bits of iron that are magnetic and babies do need iron. The baby cereal oatmeal is more fibrous and allows them to poop more regularly. I don’t use the baby rice but as far as I know, my son loves it and he doesn’t have any issues at all.

They are Iron fortified. Iron is a very important nutrient for your baby. I have never seen black bits in my cereal though. I would either call the number on the package to see if it is normal or buy another containted er from a different shipment to see if it has the same.

I did this with raisin bran as a science fair project in grade school. The iron in our food is actual iron. It’s totally fine, essential even!

1 Like

Look into baby led weaning much easier, so much better for development and you dint need to worry about that packaged food aimed at babies that’s filled with crap!

2 Likes

It’s better to give oatmeal cereal and it has lesson iron and more nutrition

Chunks of iron in your daughters bottle? Does that mean you are putting it in her bottle? If that’s the case, no, it is not safe to put baby cereal in a bottle. As a meal itself, it’s also pretty crappy nutritionally despite the iron. You can get iron from many other wholesome foods.

1 Like

The reason for the cereal is for the baby to get iron. It’s suppose to be there

Forsure ask your doc, but aside from that; my doc told me, milk in bottle baby food in a bowl, never mix and feed in a bottle…

Pour water over a bowl of Wheaties, wait til it gets soggy, and watch what happens when you stick a magnet in it.

People will tell you there is absolutely no need for any baby to have infant cereal but that is not always the case. My oldest needed cereal even when she was a month old to help with reflux. Some babies have trouble gaining weight and need the extra calories so that they can thrive. Talk with the pediatrician and make sure you tell them all of your questions and concerns.

4 Likes

I personally never used it with my son.

It’s the iron that is fortified in the cereal. Completely safe and necessary for brain development

1 Like

Natural sources of iron are better. Iron fortified food are processed differently by the body versus natural sources same thing with protein.

Don’t put the baby cereal in a bottle.

7 Likes

we’re not here to judge people, if you don’t have advice keep scrolling !!! , anyway… that’s the iron in the cereal love, but you can ask your pediatrician just to be safe.

3 Likes

Tried baby Cearal a couple of times with my daughter. She had terrible reflux but she didnt care for it and it tasted like paste to me. So we just skipped it and went for baby purees and oatmeal as we moved onto solid foods. As far as the iron. I had no idea it was so obvious in the food. But it doesn’t surprise me. I think just use your best judgment or talk to your pediatrician about best nutrition for your baby at this age.

I wouldnt put it in a bottle, but yes it is safe. I used it with my daughter and never had any issues. It helps let them get used to textures. Other than that she ate what we ate in terms of fruits and veggies

1 Like

Iron is ESSENTIAL to an infant diet after 6 months of age.

I opted for iron rich foods though and not the cereals and only used oatmeal for a couple of weeks before she wanted to start feeding herself.

1 Like

I do happy baby organics oatmeal. Has probiotics and iron along w some other stuff. Being that iron is a metal idk how bad the whole magnet thing is but I’m not a nutrition expert. However putting it in a bottle is a choking hazard. Something that thick is not meant for babies to be sucking through bottle nipple. Btw my girl is 7 months and we still do the oatmeal but now fruits/veggies as well. First time Mom too, it can be soo overwhelming/stressful. Good luck!

They make bottles specifically for baby cereal now… the nipple is bigger to allow for the cereal to flow nicely. Theres also formula with rice cereal already incorporated in it to help with reflux. When I gave my daughter the baby oatmeal, I mixed it with her formula in a bowl and spoon fed her… but she was old enough to eat table food so her oatmeal was thick and I used the flavored ones :woman_shrugging: if you’re wanting to put some cereal or rice in a bottle, I recommend using very little and making sure you have a big enough nipple on the bottle so the flow isnt too fast or getting clogged up with the cereal/rice… if you’re concerned about the food, contact the manufacturer and ask them if there should be ANY metal fragments in the food (even iron) and see what they say. While iron is essential for their diet, I never noticed anything like that in my daughters cereals but that doesnt mean it wasnt there.

2 Likes

This is a question you ask your pediatrician, not people you don’t know on facebook.

7 Likes

There’s iron in baby formula too. Babies need iron. All humans need iron. I’m not sure what the issue is. Talk with your pediatrician about the best way to feed your baby new foods and when. Most doctors will say not until 6 months but some babies need it earlier for GERD or to help gain weight.

5 Likes

I use it for my baby! The iron isnt bad for a baby, there are more natural ways for the baby to get iron but i need the calories. Plus she sleeps better with the warm cereal on her tummy

Iron is a vital nutrient in our diet. It is safe and I’ve used it myself for my son

Both my babies have had the cereal both after 6 months per doctors instruction. Please talk to your child’s doctor about any concerns you have regarding them or their diet!!

1 Like