Is co-sleeping safe?

I have cold slept with my son since he was born you honestly just need to know your limits whether you’re a heavy sleeper or a light sleeper but your baby is pretty big now and you know him best I know this is probably an unpopular opinion but I do it

why doesn’t the babe have her own sleeping space

1 Like

I coslept with my first. My second I was so tired it was dangerous so I put her in a bedside bassinet from Mika Mickey and then moved her to her crib 3 months later. She sleeps by herself and my 4 year old still crawls into my bed lol :joy:

A sofa is not considered a safe place to cosleep. Firm bed, without loose blankets or pillow near baby.

2 Likes

Ummmmm why in the world would your husband get the bed and you and your daughter have the couch :worried::worried::worried: I’m sorry but this would not be ok with me .

8 Likes

I co slept with my baby. She is now 6 and won’t leave my bed. It’s what is best for your family. You will get mixed responses. So my answer is whatever you feel is best and safe for your family do that. :heart:

Not on a sofa darling. That carries significant risk. You’d be safer bedsharing. Just be sure to look up the safe sleep seven. Seven guidelines to the safest way of bedsharing.

1 Like

If it’s done safely it’s fine

Not on the sofa? Why doesn’t dad sleep on the couch?

4 Likes

I co slept with all 4 on mine.When my youngest was brand new,well all slept in my bed(4 kids and I)Sleeping on the couch,is dangerous tho

1 Like

They have a bed that hooks onto your bed

On a sofa? Nope not safe, what’s wrong with you sharing the bed? A cot for your daughter? This makes my skin shiver.

It’s risky in a bed but a couch is even worse. I know someone that accidentally smothered her newborn with her arm in bed co-sleeping. Kick your husband to the couch and get a crib or a bed connecter for the baby. Please don’t risk this anymore. I think you already know the answer before posting.

I’ve heard and know multiple people who have rolled over onto their babies and suffocated them because a baby will not struggle if they can’t breathe it’s very dangerous I know a 6 week old it happened to and a 2 year old it happened too.

Not on the couch! It’s safe to sleep in the bed but the couch you run the risk of baby falling and suffocating in the cushions.

If you are going to co-sleep the bed is the safest place. Couch is dangerous. Follow the safe sleep 7. I was against co-sleeping but started when my daughter was 8 months old and it was the best decision for us.

Depends on the parents I’d imagine. With my current husband no lol he would roll over the baby and not even known it. But myself, I could be asleep and hear the slightest change in breathing and it would wake me up! 

I co sleep with my 10 month old but my husband sleeps on the couch and we sleep in the bed. The couch is definitely not safe

I co slept with my son until he was 2 and o don’t regret it one bit! They are only little once… soak it up momma❤️

1 Like

Why is he in the bed while your on couch ?

5 Likes

I co sleep/slept with all my babies. My oldest sleeps in her own bed now. A bed is more safer than a couch i assume though. Just no loose blankets, no pillows, hair up, give them breathing room and have a fan on so it circulates the air. Husband should take the couch so you an baby are more comfortable

2 Likes

I did with both my kids…my oldest slept by my side in bed for 6 months and my youngest had to sleep on my chest so we slept in a recliner chair for 6 months. Only if you’re a light sleeper who wakes easily and doesn’t move around in your sleep then cosleeping is safe

Dad needs to sleep on the couch and you can safely co sleep in the bed. Dress baby warm but not too warm and bring a blanket and a pillow to bed just for you rather than use a comforter so you don’t worry about blankets in the baby’s face. It would be safe for you to put up a bed rail or slid your bed against the wall so your baby can sleep between you and the wall/rail. Or you can get a bassinet for next to your bed, but baby’s that old are going to outgrow that very quickly

2 Likes

I wouldn’t on the couch. No way. I coslept both my kids in a bed though. You can do safe coalescing 100% just research it

2 Likes

Your gonna get mixed answers!

I know tons of people who co slept with their child and everything was fine. The only problem they had was when they wanted their child to sleep in their own bed. The transition was hard on them both.
But I also know someone who co slept with both kids her first born nothing bad ever happened, her second child ended up rolling off the mattress and got stuck in the frame and died.

From a medical professional stand point co sleeping is not safe at all!

And the fact that your both on a couch right now that is not safe at all!! And you need to stop that immediately before something bad happens!

Get a bassinet or crib for your child and you can have them sleep in your room next to your bed even!

3 Likes

I’ve coslept with all of my kids

I have 6 kids ages ranging from 17-2. All of them had their own bassinet/cribs , however I co slept with all of them. They grow up way to fast so I took in all I could while I could.

1 Like

I still co sleep at 2 we started at 6 months

Why are you sleeping on the sofa with baby and your other half is in the bed??
No it’s not safe to be co sleeping on a sofa, xx

5 Likes

Why even ask this when there are thousands of articles that say no. We arent doctors

1 Like

The bigger question is why are you sleeping with the baby on the couch why your husband is sleeping in your bed

3 Likes

I have 7 month and I could definitely not leave her alone on the couch, only you know yourself I know many parents do it but are you and husband heavy sleepers? My cousin and his wife lost their baby as he rolled over and suffocated the baby, he was not a small guy.

Yes i slept with all my babies and now I’m sleeping with my grandkids and my granddaughter is 7 years old now and still in my bed

1 Like

If I was gonna cosleep id rather do it in a big bed or you can get her a pack and play for next to the couch if that’s where you like to sleep I think I’m gonna get one for my downstairs because my baby won’t sleep in bed with me and I gotta bring her downstairs all night long when she wakes up so she doesn’t wake everyone up that’s prob why you guys are on the couch too but it’s too easy for them to get stuck and smothered you know?

Ive co-slept & both my kids are fine, i just bought a rail on the side of the mattress in case she does slip it’ll prevent it

Co-sleeping is perfectly safe if done correctly. I would also not suggest doing it on a couch though, it needs to be done on a firm mattress.

Coslept with 4 kids. It’s not safe on a couch.

3 Likes

I’ve co slept with all of my kids, ages 16 down to 2 since birth, my 9 year old and 2 year old still sleep with me

Never co sleep, baby could suffocate

1 Like

Yes, my 6yrs old still running back and sleep in our bed with us

The safest place for a baby to sleep is alone in its own bed. People do it but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s safe. I am a very light sleeper and wake up at any tiny noise or movement. My husband is the complete opposite and tosses and turns. I would never let him cosleep for fear of him hurting our daughter in his sleep.

No it’s not, opinions from others that did it will say it is, but based on actual evidence , it’s extremely unsafe and a major suffocation hazard ESPECIALLY on a couch bc youre having to squish together so much more. Why are you not sleeping in your bed? Does baby have a crib? Safe Infant Sleep - Evidence-Based Support Group

1 Like

Not safe on a couch. Okay in a bed.

1 Like

Biologically Normal Infant & Toddler Sleep

It’s absolutely safe if done correctly, but on a couch is not correctly. You need to be on a firm mattress with no blankets or anything near babies face. Your husband should be on the couch, not you two.

6 Likes

Better to sleep in the bed to give the baby some more space and to sleep safely and comfortable

No matter what anyone says, research and science say that no, bedsharing is not safe. Safe Sleep and Baby Care – Evidence Based Support

1 Like

I’ve slept with all my children and grandchildren from birth till they didn’t want to anymore.
I see nothing wrong with it at all.

Very dangerous. Baby needs to be in crib, pack n play by her self w no blankets, pillows, stuffy ect.

My daughters friends woke up 2 days ago to find her 10 month old purple. He suffocated with blanket. They were not able to save him :cry:

2 Likes

Not safe on a couch
The father should be on the couch
Co sleeping on a bed is okay :+1:

1 Like

Wow what a man go to the bed

3 Likes

I co slept for a while but would usually put him in the bassinet around 3am which was right next to me till he was about 8 or 9 months old

If you are a light sleeper then it can be safe as long as done one flat surface that there is space enough for you both. Both my babies have slept in bed with me since day 1 at night. Daytime the sleep/slept in crib/playpen

I would not on the couch. But all my babies slept in bed with me. Not at newborn age, but starting about the same age as you lo

Honestly I say it depends on the parent and child and they’re sleeping habits. I co-slept with my son till he was around 7 yrs old and it worked for us. I had always been crazy physical in my sleep but once my son came along I’d sleep without moving a muscle, I also breastfed so it made it easier on both of us. Once he stared getting older it became apparent that my crazy sleep habits had been passed on to him and he’d beat the crap outta me at night​:joy::joy: so we stopped the co-sleeping… which was a little hard at first (probably more for me) but he’s almost 17 now and I wouldn’t change those younger years for anything. He’s definitely independent but he still knows he can always come get ma in the middle of the night if hes going thru something, and yes, he does​:orange_heart:

Yes I’ve been going it for 3 years :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

My opinion is no… You don’t have privacy and I know someone who rolled over on his granddaughter and suffocated her. :frowning:

We co sleep in the bed. Move dad to couch

1 Like

No. Co-sleeping is never safe. Survivor bias doesn’t make unsafe things safe. Supervision doesn’t make unsafe things safe.

1 Like

She needs her on Bed.

My son slept in the bed between daddy and I untill he was 4 months and his colic was gone

We coslept until our daughter was almost 2yrs old🤷🏻‍♀️

Why on earth are you sleeping on the couch at all never mind with your baby? If you choose to co sleep then at least do it on the bed where there is more room. But at nearly 7 months be aware that your baby can roll over and can fall off either bed or couch. I think a cot for the baby, the bed for you and get her dad sleeping on the couch :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

I take naps on the couch with my baby but we sleep in the bed and my fiance takes the couch bc my daughter likes to toss and turn alot lol

I just wanna know how co-sleeping all the sudden became ok. Because it was absolutely a no no when I had my daughter over 20 years ago. I say NO to co-sleeping myself! Too much risk!

3 Likes

Co sleeping can be done safely in a bed! Sleeping on a couch is not safe co sleeping. Look into information from SIDS and you’ll find that alot of these deaths occur due to couch sleeping. Make dad sleep on the couch

3 Likes

Check out Safe Sleep Seven.

2 Likes

She needs her own bed :frowning: co sleeping can be dangerous. Idc how many people say it was fine for them etc :confused: it isn’t for everyone.

1 Like

No…too many deaths from rolling on baby…smothering the infant. Do not risk it!

1 Like

It depends on the parent, and how they sleep. I coslept with my daughter basically from birth. I’m a really light sleeper, and felt safer with her next to me after one night waking up to her turning purple bc she must have thrown up, but was on her back. So from then on I kept her with me. She’s 6 now and just recently left my bed. Most nights she’ll eventually end up with me lol
That being said I wouldn’t feel comfortable sleeping on a couch with her. That makes me super nervous god forbid she falls out of your arms somehow.

1 Like

Everyone says no. I’ve slept with all 3 of mine. The only bad thing to come of it was breaking the habit.

There is a thing as SAFE co sleeping.
One pillow for you, no blankets for you or baby and she needs space to roll over without suffocating on something so the couch isn’t safe but you CAN safely co sleep on a bed.

1 Like

Look up safe bed sharing. It’s totally fine if you do it safely. Baby sleeping away from parent is just a western norm.

2 Likes

Yes ! Mostly I’ve co slept and still co sleep with my kids honestly it was the only way they would sleep or me that being said we slept in the couch because my bed was high and it wasn’t safe they have special side beds that connect to the bed now that are awesome :slightly_smiling_face: but I just slept on the couch put pillows in the floor if baby tried to crawl or roll and walls both of use slept threw the night i was so scared with my first but figure out by 3 months that baby was fine now if you are a heavy sleeper who does not wake easy or husband I would recommend sleeping where baby will not be at risk but that being said I was a super light sleeper as well as babies dad so we had no issue until crawling faze that’s when it’s dangerous :warning: that’s when we moved to pack and play for a while

Not on a sofa no. Bed it can be done. But on a sofa is a big no

1 Like

I’m sure I will have tons of judgement, but I have 7 kids & have co slept with every single of them :smirk: my one year old has never slept in her own bed :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

That’s your baby don’t let these ppl tell you what’s best for your family know your sleep habits are you a light sleeper heavy sleeper? Can you tell when you are going to sleep harder then normal?

I did with all my kids

Why aren’t you and the baby in bed and him on the couch? That should be the question

4 Likes

How can dad sleep on bed knowing wife n baby sleeping couch. He’s really selfish. My children slept with us in bed until they were old enough to sleep by themselves. Then life in Trinidad is different, except for the rich

1 Like

It can be unsafe yes. Especially on the couch. I’m more bothered by the fact your husband takes the bed while you and baby sleep on the couch.

4 Likes

Yes, but not on a couch!!! Why the hell are you and a baby sleeping on a couch?

2 Likes

I’ve co slept with all 3 of my kids :woman_shrugging:

It’s definitely not safe on a couch. Following the safe sleep 7 on a firm mattress, it’s as safe as cot sleeping. Husband needs to be on the couch and you need the bed. Look at UNICEF and The Lullaby Trust guidance.

1 Like

I’ve co slept with all my babies and all have been fine, but I would definitely do it in a bed and not a couch.

2 Likes

I’ve co-slept with my baby since the day she came home from the hospital and now she’s 3 almost 4 and we’re still co-sleeping :blush:

I’m more bothered that you sleep on the couch and your husband sleeps in the bed, that just aint right :unamused:

7 Likes

Not on a couch as there isn’t enough room for baby to roll safely without suffocating or falling. But in a bed yes there are safe ways.

1 Like

My babies never left my arms!..it worked for me, and my boys!! You do you, and don’t do something because of what ‘they’ say…you know what feels good to you, and remember you are the ONLY one that can make a decision for your baby!!!

If you do it safely yes. I’d get another bed for you and baby if hubs won’t sleep on the couch. My Bubs is almost 7 months and we’ve always had him in a bed sharing sleeper (just a little bassinet that goes in the bed with you) and now he’s big enough we put him in his own bed but he does spend almost half the night and naps contact sleeping with me, so I suffer a bit so he’s getting enough sleep.

Not safe on the couch. Dad needs to sleep on the couch with you guys in bed or baby needs their own sleeping spot.

1 Like

Everyone is different. I never did with my 2.

I’m still co sleeping with my 4 yr old but it’s just her my 17 yr old and I… we have co slept from the couch to the bed since the day she was born. And we still sleep on the couch most nights with a empty cali king size bed either way she is in my arms bed or couch

I’ve co-slept with both my kids. Just recommend doing it in the bed or on the floor with blanket padding.

Of course but good luck getting ur sleep back when u don’t want to or they are older

1 Like

Everyone is different, but co sleeping in general is unsafe when it comes to sids. I lost my daughter at 4 months old to sids, she was in her bassinet I never co clept because of the risk. So it still happened for me and my poor baby… it is real though, I know many people who have lost their babies while co sleeping too. So I guess just find what works for you.

5 Likes

I co-slept with all 3 of my kids. I would recommend doing so on a bed, versus the couch.

I CO slept with both my children. U.S. doctor’s nurses etc are adamant that you not cosleep with your babies were one of very few countries in the world who actually discourage our mothers from co-sleeping but it’s quite common across the world I think you should do what makes you comfortable

4 Likes

They say no. But I’ve been co sleeping on the couch with my daughter since she was a few months old. She’s now 15 months. I wouldn’t do it in the bed, I don’t truth myself, at least on the couch I have a system where I feel safe.

The bed is far more safer than a couch if your going to co sleep. Could he not sleep on the sofa instead

3 Likes

I didn’t co-sleep with any of my children.

2 Likes

I’ll probably be the only one here to say that I don’t think co sleeping is safe.

7 Likes