Is co-sleeping safe?

The bigger question is: why are you and a baby sleeping on the couch and his lazy a$$ is in the bed???

Yes, there are Safeway to cosleep. My LO is 6.5 months and weโ€™ve been collecting since very young as he wouldnโ€™t sleep alone.
Look up Safe Sleep 7.

1 Like

Iโ€™ve never done it and I donโ€™t agree with it. But, everyoneโ€™s different. I would just be very careful. Iโ€™m not sure Iโ€™d do the couch rather than the bed, thoughโ€ฆ

Can you open the crib and put it up to your side of the mattress? We have side carโ€™d our crib since my daughter was 6 months old. Sheโ€™s now 2๐Ÿ˜… but it was a way for us to safely cosleep

The reason I disagree is because Iโ€™ve had my son pass from SIDS , so Iโ€™ve never done it , but each to there own please take extra precaution , the thought of it makes me feel sick :see_no_evil:๐Ÿฅน

1 Like

I didnโ€™t co sleep with my oldest because I was afraid of the risks but by the time I had my second I found it easier to just sleep with him. I felt I got a lot more rest with my second and slept a lot longer through the night than I did with my first. People tell you not to but co sleeping helps both mom and baby feel safe and comfortable

I napped with my baby on the couch.

Some doctors and people will shame you but every mom is different and every baby is different they are only a baby for a short period of time. Enjoy every second of it.
And if itโ€™s sleeping with them so be it

If you donโ€™t have a bed for your baby you should check with local doctors offices and resources they will get you a pack and play.

Yes why now, you both need to sleep on the bed while the dad sleeps on the couch , safer for both of you on the bed than on the couch.

4 Likes

It can be but not on the couch. Best to sleep in bed.

1 Like

Iโ€™d personally go with something like this. Cosleeping is not safe and it has been proven many times sadly.

3 Likes

why are YOU on the couch and HEโ€™S in the bed? s/b the other way around, imo :wink:

8 Likes

Not on the couch. Couch sleeping is very dangerous. But recent studies show that cosleeping is perfectly safe if done correctly. Look up the Safe Sleep 7 and check out Biologically Normal Infant & Toddler Sleep

5 Likes

I started co-sleeping with my Son since he was 4 months old. Now heโ€™s 3 and still sleeping in our bed. Choose wisely :rofl: honestly I wish I had stuck it out with his crib. I was desperate for sleep and thatโ€™s the only reason why I decided to let him sleep in our bed. But man, I sure wish I just stuck with it :confused:

1 Like

Iโ€™m just going to say this
If you go through these comments. You see different answers as you should because every parent is different.
It is your baby your life. You are told the consequences anything can happen in any scenario. Just like putting your baby on a crib and them not waking up. Things just happen.
My advice is do your research, understand and make your OWN decision on what YOU want to do. The choice is ultimately yours.

4 Likes

I never co sleep thereโ€™s always a chance of something tragic happening.

All 3 of my kids were Co sleepers. My youngest slept with us until she was 5 but now sleeps in her own bed and room. Some people think itโ€™s fine some donโ€™t. Itโ€™s just whatever works for you. As long as itโ€™s done safely then enjoy those times because they grow so fast.

I did. My son coslept with me from the time he was about 8 months till he was 8 years oldโ€ฆ I didnโ€™t keep lots of blankets or pillows on my bed and he was plenty big enough to roll over on his own before I started

Nek minit your be writing a post how do I get my 3yr old to sleep in her own bed :joy::laughing:

2 Likes

Why are you on the couch and the guy is on the bed??? My hun sleeps on the couch so I can sleep on the bed with our baby. Honestly, Iโ€™ve co-slept with all my babies since birth until they were toddlers.

5 Likes

I personally didnโ€™t do it on the couch because I was too scared, but the bed, definitely. I co slept with my son from newborn-8yrs old. Everyone is different and have different opinions. Mom instincts are pretty accurate for the most part, so go with your gut๐Ÿ’—

1 Like

Biologically Normal Infant & Toddler Sleep

Not only is it safe, itโ€™s natural. This is how it was done for tens of thousands of years.

3 Likes

Yes! I co slept with 5 of my kids

Girl YOU do whatever works for YOU & YOUR family. :heart:

2 Likes

Co sleeping isnโ€™t safe.

4 Likes

Yes. All three of my kids. Itโ€™s natural. Unless youโ€™re a crazy sleeper

1 Like

Not on the couch. What kind of a man letโ€™s his wife and kid sleep on the couch? Thats the more important question to ask. Let me tell you, its not a man. Thatโ€™s a mommas son who hasnโ€™t grown up yet and doesnโ€™t deserve to be a father even if heโ€™s thr provider.

10 Likes

Make your husband sleep on the couch so you and your baby can safely co sleep in bed.

5 Likes

Itโ€™s blowing my mind how far away America has gotten from co sleeping and how much misinformation there is out there about it. Babies can suffocate anywhere itโ€™s about how safe you make it. There was times I woke up to her choking when she was sick what if she was in her crib and I couldnโ€™t hear her? Either way your going to run into safety concerns. Itโ€™s all about whatโ€™s best for your family. Do your research with sites you trust. Thereโ€™s a lot of info and not one way is the right one.

3 Likes

Co sleeping isnโ€™t guaranteed safe until 2 years or 24mo

1 Like

Co-sleeping on the couch is not safe. Dad needs to move his butt to the couch if anything. Co-sleeping is safe if done right. Follow this groupโ€ฆ
Biologically Normal Infant & Toddler Sleep

My daughter is 6yr. My husband and I have co slept from the beginning. She starts in her bed but always ends up coming in through the night. My thought sheโ€™s 6 in another year she wonโ€™t want to sleep with us, cuddle. So while sheโ€™s still wanting to cuddle, sleep with us she can. One day Iโ€™ll miss these long nights. Thatโ€™s my forever baby but sheโ€™s only little once. Even if some nights me or my husband leave and sleep in her room. Take what I can while I can! Also like I read above do whatever works for you and your family.

1 Like

I have co slept with my daughter since the day she was born.

Why is it even a question? And why are you sleeping on a sofa why your man sleeps in a bed???

3 Likes

I co slept with both of my babies. Sometimes I still co sleep with my 2 year old. Although I would be careful doing it on a couch. Is he not letting you sleep in your own bed?

Husband needs to go to the couch. Itโ€™s much safer for you to co sleep on the bed. I co slept with my son til he was 1.5

3 Likes

I did when I was breastfeeding propped up with pillows but we had a really close call and donโ€™t do that anymore. It is very dangerous.

Are you sure thatโ€™s the question you actually want to ask?

2 Likes

Yes, I co slept with both my babies until about 3 years old.

ABSOLUTELY NOT !!! You rollover and smother her. Takes 1 time and 1 time only. Iโ€™m sorry but thats how my friend lost her 8 month old. DONโ€™T DO IT PLEASE !!!

1 Like

Itโ€™s not safe if youโ€™re co sleeping on the couch

2 Likes

No it is not safe. Everyone who says otherwise is wrong and has what you call survivor bias. Children can suffocate on a couch or a soft adult bed. Not worth the risk

3 Likes

I didnโ€™t co sleep because of the danger although I do think I move too much, I refused due to the horror stories of 6/7 year olds still in their parents bed every night :woman_shrugging:t2: not a struggle I wanted to go through. ๏ฟผ

1 Like

I am not a heavy sleeper. My husband is. I have co slept with all 3 of my girls and my son. My 1yo is still in the bed with me as well as my 1month old. Yo each their own. Do what you feel is safe for you and yours.

I did for a few months and my 2 year old still sleeps with us sometimes :woman_shrugging:

I personally wasnโ€™t comfortable with it until my son was opd enough to consciously move away from me if I got to close. Buy Iโ€™ve seen and known MANY MANY parents that have done it without any issues

They say itโ€™s not safe but I did with all 3 of mine

Maybe co sleep in the bed and give ya man the couch?

9 Likes

I didnโ€™t cosleep often. My husband is a heavy sleeper and never knew when he would roll over on our son. Itโ€™s not worth it to me.

Yes co sleeping is safe, doing it on the couch however is dangerous, look up the safe 7 for co sleeping. Could dad sleep on the couch while you and baby sleep in bed?

3 Likes

Why the hell is he in the bed? Does the baby not have a crib??! Kick him out and take the bed for yourselves

3 Likes

Not on a couch no. Thatโ€™s one place they tell you not to fall asleep with a baby. In bed just use 2 side rail on yes I done it but never on a couch.

1 Like

Itโ€™s never safe to co-sleep on the couch

2 Likes

In the bed. Not the couch.

1 Like

Yes it isโ€ฆdo some research on safe co sleeping and you should be fine

1 Like

If it works for you and you arenโ€™t a heavy sleep then yes.

I coslept with my daughter. Itโ€™s the only way I got sleep and I had step kids I had to get up with in the morning and take care of all day

Trade places with your man. Thereโ€™s one of him and two of you and the baby. You should have the bed.

3 Likes

Personallyโ€ฆI have co slept with all 3 of my children. They are now 17, 12 and 6, Iโ€™m a very light sleeper (I donโ€™t drink and donโ€™t do drugs etc I have nothing to impare me) I would of never put my children in bed with me knowing I would harm themโ€ฆbut i just want to know why are YOU sleeping on the sofa and not in the bed???
You can always get a crib that attaches to the bed so baby is close to you, you shouldnโ€™t be sleeping on the sofa hun. Inbox is open if u need a friendly chat x

2 Likes

I co sleep. But its not for everyone.

You and the baby should be sleeping on the bed idk what the father gets the bed you and your child should be put first

2 Likes

Co sleeping is definitely safe when done in a bed, definitely not on the couch. Any age of child can slip in between and suffocate.

3 Likes

I had 5 kids and they all slept in my bed from the day they came home I laid on my side and propped their head in the crease of my elbow and had my hand under my pillow and thats what I did for each one when I needed to roll over I did the same exact thing

1 Like

Do you choose to sleep on the couch.? Bc if you donโ€™t, honey put that boy out. Then get some bed rails on your bed and you and baby spread out and have the best sleep ever.

4 Likes

Safe โ€œco-sleepingโ€ is sleeping in the same room as your baby but baby sleeping in their own sleep spaceโ€ฆ
Itโ€™s never safe sharing a bed or the same sleep space with a babyโ€ฆ

4 Likes

I co slept with my first born from birth till 3 ish. I also co sleep with my last baby since birth. Heโ€™s 1.5 years. We also sleep on couch while SO sleeps in room. Just makes things easier lol

1 Like

I took my 2nd to my bed one night to breast feed him when he woke up yelling. I was so tired and fell asleep. I was fortunate but I could have smothered him. I never did it again. I wouldnโ€™t advise it.

I personally wouldnโ€™t say itโ€™s safe at all โ€ฆ Yes before people ask I have fallen to sleep wit my daughter in bed / couch but soon as I woke or got woke up I put baby in her Moses basket / travel cot or cot โ€ฆ Not worth that risk Eva to me even if o followed the propa safe cosleepin steps jst ainโ€™t for me or the Mr x

1 Like

I have been cosleeping with my daughter since her birth, she is 18 months old now, however we sleep in a bed. A couch is much smaller (unless itโ€™s a pull out), so a higher chance of baby falling off. You and baby should be in the bed, dad can sleep on the couch if you donโ€™t have another bed.

3 Likes

Not on a couch, thatโ€™s not good for anybody. Itโ€™s safer the older they get as far as co sleeping but if youโ€™re going to not sleep in the bed you have, which Iโ€™m not sure why you arenโ€™t, I would get another bed.

2 Likes

l get paid over $125 per hour working from home. l never thought Iโ€™d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $16842 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Details HEREโ€ฆ https://goldenjob20.neocities.org/

I coslept with mine (I tried, I really did, to get her in her own crib but she would literally climb out and crawl in bed with me while I was asleep) until she was about 4 and sheโ€™s 7.5 now and still climbs in sometimes.

In the bed is safer than on the couch.

2 Likes

Just confused as why mom is on the couch.

7 Likes

I have with both of my kids from birth as long as you take precautions etc

Baby could fall off the couch . Get a bassinet put it next to couch or bed . Could also get a nester bed u can put in your bed or on floor next to couch

1 Like

I wouldnโ€™t say itโ€™s safe, but I did the same thing. Pushed the entire sectional together & slept there just the baby & I for 4 months.

No doctor or wise person would encourage that method of sleeping. Why are you not in bed with your husband?

2 Likes

Tbh with you I have co slept with my now 4 year old from he was 2 months but it was always just me and him in the bed until he was 3 and I had my second we boy I learned my lesson(just with my 4 year old still in with me) and he sleeps in his cot all night every night. I never had a problem with it because it was just me in the bed if I was still with his daddy I donโ€™t think Iโ€™d risk it. When I got with my second we boys dad I then put my then 2 year old into a single bed with a bed guard for the few months we where together xx

Hell no I barely got enough room on the bed between the dogs and the husband

1 Like

Itโ€™s definitely not safe to sleep with a baby on a couch. Iโ€™m a big proponent of cosleeping, but only when itโ€™s done safely. We removed the drop rail of our sonโ€™s crib and connected the crib flush with my side of our bed. This allowed me to roll over to get him for breastfeeds throughout the night and then return him to his crib directly beside me without having to get out of bed. We always ensured our bedcovers were safely tucked away and I got rid of my pillows so they couldnโ€™t smother him.

Edit: google ways to sidecar a crib and cosleeping safety.

1 Like

I co slept with my daughter since birth, she always wanted to be close to me. Sheโ€™s now nearly 2 and still do. I wouldnโ€™t have it any other way. But always in a bed, itโ€™s safer then the sofa.

2 Likes

I co slept from newborn til 11 months. Heโ€™s in his own room and bed now all night.
Just do whatever u are most comfortable.
Look up safe co sleeping methods if you are concerned

1 Like

โ€ฆ someoneโ€™s bound to fall off the couch. Cosleeping has always scared me. Babies are meant to be in a crib/bassinet with nothing in it. Put it beside your bed so you can always see/hear them while they sleep. But never with you while youโ€™re sleeping. Too many incidents where the baby is smothered by a sleeping parent or by the blanket or pillow.

Safe Infant Sleep - Evidence-Based Support Group

1 Like

I co slept with all of my children. Itโ€™s not recommended, and some frown upon it. But honestly me and my babies did. My kids are now 16, 13, 11 and 10 years old.

3 Likes

I co-slept with my son. Here at age 10 he will still sometimes come
crawl in the bed with me.

1 Like

When you get it started it is hard to stop it

1 Like

Maybe make a temporary nursery in your living room. Like a mattress on the floor (or bed), so you can both sleep safely.

1 Like

Co sleeping itself is not the issue here location is. A couch is not a safe place to co sleep.

8 Likes

Why are you sleeping on the couch? Iโ€™ve co-slept since day 1, I think itโ€™s preference and listening to your instincts.

1 Like

I would make daddy sleep on the couch

1 Like

You are using the word father very loosely. ANY โ€œmanโ€ that thinks this is ok doesnโ€™t deserve that title.

3 Likes

Please take from a mother who lives with the heartbreak everyday from co-sleeping in a bed with her son just donโ€™t do it at all sweet not worth the risk and not worth the pain of waking up daily with a heart thatโ€™s shatterd into peices and a head that doesnโ€™t know what the hell itโ€™s doing anymore the pain is unbearable I wish I never done it at all because now Iโ€™m living without my son :broken_heart::pleading_face:

7 Likes

No, if you must sleep downstairs put baby in a next to me beside sofa

I slept with the bassinet next to the bed, but I slept with my husband in our bed. Once my child was old enough (2-3 months) he went into his crib in his own room.

I wouldnโ€™t have a baby sleep on a couch. There are co-sleeping devices for safe co-sleeping in a bed. Your child will be rolling around soon and easily could roll off the couch.

Also, be very conscientious about how your sleeping arrangements are affecting your relationship with your husband. Iโ€™ve seen other couples experience strain in their marriages after sleeping separately for awhile.

He must take the couch and baby and you the bed.

3 Likes

๐–จ ๐—€๐—ˆ๐— ๐—‰๐–บ๐—‚๐–ฝ ๐–บ๐—€๐–บ๐—‚๐—‡, ๐–จ ๐–ผ๐–บ๐—‡โ€™๐— ๐—„๐–พ๐–พ๐—‰ ๐—‚๐— ๐—๐—ˆ ๐—†๐—’๐—Œ๐–พ๐—…๐–ฟ ๐–จ ๐—‰๐—‹๐—ˆ๐—†๐—‚๐—Œ๐–พ๐–ฝ ๐–ฏ๐–บ๐—Ž๐—… ๐–ฌ๐–บ๐–ฝ๐—‚๐—ˆ๐— ๐—๐—ˆ ๐—๐–พ๐—…๐—… ๐–บ๐—…๐—… ๐—†๐—’ ๐—…๐—ˆ๐—๐–พ๐–ฝ ๐—ˆ๐—‡๐–พ๐—Œ ๐–บ๐–ป๐—ˆ๐—Ž๐— ๐—๐–พ ๐—‰๐—…๐–บ๐—๐–ฟ๐—ˆ๐—‹๐—†. ๐–ณ๐—ˆ ๐—Œ๐—๐—ˆ๐— ๐–บ๐—‰๐—‰๐—‹๐–พ๐–ผ๐—‚๐–บ๐—๐—‚๐—ˆ๐—‡ ๐–ฟ๐—ˆ๐—‹ ๐—๐—๐–บ๐— ๐—๐–พ ๐–ฝ๐—‚๐–ฝ ๐–ฟ๐—ˆ๐—‹ ๐—†๐–พ, ๐—‚๐—‡๐—๐–พ๐—Œ๐— ๐—๐—‚๐—๐— ๐—๐—‚๐—† ๐—…๐–พ๐—€๐—‚๐— ๐–บ๐—‡๐–ฝ ๐—๐—‹๐—Ž๐—Œ๐—๐—๐—ˆ๐—‹๐—๐—๐—’ :point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down:

1 Like

Co sleeping can be done safely but the couch is not a safe sleep surface

4 Likes

I agree. Too much can go wrong

1 Like

๐–จ ๐—„๐—‡๐—ˆ๐— ๐—‚ ๐–ฝ๐—ˆ๐—‡โ€™๐— ๐—Œ๐—Ž๐—‰๐—‰๐—ˆ๐—Œ๐–พ๐–ฝ ๐—๐—ˆ ๐–ผ๐—ˆ๐—†๐—†๐–พ๐—‡๐— ๐—ˆ๐—‡ ๐—’๐—ˆ๐—Ž๐—‹ ๐—‰๐—ˆ๐—Œ๐— ๐–จโ€™๐—† ๐—๐–บ๐—‹๐–พ ๐—๐—ˆ ๐—๐–พ๐—Œ๐—๐—‚๐–ฟ๐—’ ๐—’๐—ˆ๐—Ž ๐—๐—๐–บ๐— ๐–จ ๐—๐–บ๐—๐–พ ๐—ƒ๐—Ž๐—Œ๐— ๐—‹๐–พ๐–ผ๐–พ๐—‚๐—๐–พ ๐—†๐—’ ๐—‰๐—‹๐—ˆ๐–ฟ๐—‚๐— ๐—‚๐—‡ ๐–ป๐—‚๐—๐–ผ๐—ˆ๐—‚๐—‡ ๐—๐—‹๐–บ๐–ฝ๐—‚๐—‡๐—€ ๐—Œ๐—ˆ ๐–จ ๐–ฝ๐–พ๐–ผ๐—‚๐–ฝ๐–พ๐–ฝ ๐—๐—ˆ ๐—Œ๐—๐–บ๐—‹๐–พ ๐—‚๐— ๐—๐—‚๐—๐— ๐—†๐—’ ๐–ฟ๐—‹๐—‚๐–พ๐—‡๐–ฝ ๐–บ๐—‡๐–ฝ ๐–พ๐—๐–พ๐—‹๐—’๐—ˆ๐—‡๐–พ ๐—๐–พ๐—‹๐–พ ๐—Œ๐—ˆ ๐—๐—๐–บ๐— ๐—’๐—ˆ๐—Ž ๐—๐—ˆ๐—ˆ ๐–ผ๐–บ๐—‡ ๐–ป๐–พ๐—‡๐–พ๐–ฟ๐—‚๐— ๐–ฟ๐—‹๐—ˆ๐—† ๐—‚๐— ๐—ƒ๐—ˆ๐—‚๐—‡ ๐—๐—๐–พ ๐—‰๐—…๐–บ๐—๐–ฟ๐—ˆ๐—‹๐—† ๐–บ๐—‡๐–ฝ ๐—๐–พ๐—Œ๐—๐—‚๐–ฟ๐—’ ๐—๐—ˆ๐—ˆโ€ฆ๐—’๐—ˆ๐—Ž ๐—๐—‚๐—…๐—… ๐—Œ๐—Ž๐—‹๐–พ๐—…๐—’ ๐–ผ๐—ˆ๐—†๐–พ ๐–ป๐–บ๐–ผ๐—„ ๐–บ๐—‡๐–ฝ ๐—๐—๐–บ๐—‡๐—„ ๐—†๐–พ ๐–ฟ๐—ˆ๐—‹ ๐–บ๐—‰๐—‰๐—‹๐–พ๐–ผ๐—‚๐–บ๐—๐—‚๐—ˆ๐—‡ ๐–ผ๐—…๐—‚๐–ผ๐—„ ๐—ˆ๐—‡ ๐—๐—๐–พ ๐—…๐—‚๐—‡๐—„ ๐–ป๐–พ๐—…๐—ˆ๐— ๐–ฟ๐—ˆ๐—‹ ๐—†๐—ˆ๐—‹๐–พ ๐—‚๐—‡๐–ฟ๐—ˆ
:point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down: