Is co-sleeping safe?

No
You might roll over & smother the baby

2 Likes

I would sleep in the bed, not a couch. I used to let my babies sleep by me & put a pillow under my stomach kinda so I couldnā€™t roll on them. If you get more sleep this way, go for it! By 3 though, it was off to their own room lol!

1 Like

Co sleeping isnā€™t safe definitely on the couch, i suggest getting a bassinet. Put it beside you when you both sleep. Also you should be sleeping on the bed, why is father sleeping on the bed instead of the couch ??

2 Likes

The couch is more unsafe than a bed if done in the right circumstances. Although its always safest for baby to be in their own bed in same room as parent

3 Likes

I have co slept with all 4 of my kids. But im a super light sleeper. I wake up if their breathing changes lol So if you wake up easily then Iā€™d say go for it. My youngest still wonā€™t go to sleep if Iā€™m not in the bed though and heā€™s almost 18 months.

2 Likes

No. Baby needs own space.

1 Like

Please join Safe Infant Sleep - Evidence-Based Support Group

2 Likes

Playpen or crib beside the couch.

1 Like

Safe Infant Sleep - Evidence-Based Support Group

1 Like

BedSharing Support Group

Since people have given you safe sleep groups i shall give you a safe bedsharing group

14 Likes

Once you start its hard to stop.

3 Likes

First of all, girl I would not be sleeping on the couch. Iā€™d be in the bed with my baby. I bedshare currently with my almost 7 month old. Iā€™m transitioning him to his crib soon. I coslept with my first kid until he was like 4 not gonna lie. Itā€™s a hard habit to break! I love it but I also donā€™t. Lol. I would recommend breaking the habit asap especially if you plan to put baby in daycare or have other people watch her. Itā€™ll make it easier for them to get her to sleep, and easier for you too.

4 Likes

I personally have go clept with all 4 of my kids since day 1 . But im a light sleeper and I donā€™t roll in myself i have always woken up to move around . I also always had them on my chest with a pillow under each are to make sure 100% I was staying put There now 3,5,6,7
My 5 yr old son is special needs and he will only sleep with me. But my husband and us fit in the king even when the baby comes in comfortably

When co sleeping you are always taking a risk with your child. So you truly have to know that you are safe to do this . If not I suggest a bassinet / pack n play or even a swing . That can be placed beside you .

1 Like

Why are you and baby on the couch and not the father on the couch and you and baby in the bed with enough room to safely sleep. Even if the dad has to sleep at certain hours he can still get that sleep on the couch itā€™s not safe for a baby to sleep on a couch and especially not safe to attempt to cosleep on a couch with an infant the two of you should be in the bed point blank

11 Likes

Not on a couch for sure.

1 Like

I co-slept but my question is also why do you and baby sleep crammed and a couch and dad is in the bed to himself? Thatā€™s all kinds of messed.

10 Likes

No. Couch is way more unsafe too. Baby should be in their own sleep space with nothing but the sheet on the mattress. No blankets or toys. Pacis without clips/animals attached are fine too. Baby should be placed on back, even if they can roll themselves. If they roll themselves onto their belly then they are safe to stay that way. If youā€™re worried about baby getting cold, there are sleep sacks that are approved for use. Make sure there is nothing hanging over babyā€™s sleep space as it could fall or baby could pull it down. Just because someone has done it before and nothing happens, doesnā€™t mean something wonā€™t happen to your baby.

3 Likes

I hated it. Never start.

2 Likes

Mines 6, we still co sleep :joy::joy: itā€™s a very bad habit but Iā€™m so used to it now lol

4 Likes

Iā€™m still cosleeping and sheā€™s 2years

Why are you sleeping on the couch

3 Likes

He should be on the couch and you and baby have the bedā€¦

11 Likes

I did with all 4 of mine :weary:

1 Like

My son is almost 5 months and we have a couch with a pull out bed and him and I sleep on that :woman_shrugging:t2: I co slept with my daughter also. Sheā€™s 10 nowā€¦.

My question is why are you sleeping on the couch

13 Likes

Not saying cosleeping is wrong
But once it starts itā€™s very difficult to get the child to sleep in their own bed and room.
But more importantly itā€™s dangerous to be cosleeping on a couch unless it pulls out to a bed.

Iā€™ve had several friends lose their baby to SIDS one was asleep in the couch with her son though when it happened. I co sleep but if youā€™re going to do it please do it on the bed with no lose blankets or pillows

2 Likes

Nope not good. You might roll over on her. She needs her own bed

1 Like

Currently cosleeping with my 2 month old and 19 month old.

I get that some men have to get up super early for work and we moms feel they should get their sleep for that but he should absolutely step up and be the one sleeping on the couch and give you & baby the bed

3 Likes

I personally donā€™t find co sleeping safe at all but thatā€™s a discussion you and your husband need to have based on sleeping habits. Schedules. How heavy or light of a sleeper etc

Many babies have been smothered by sleeping with their parents. Put that baby in a crib and sleep where you please.

2 Likes

Co sleeping is amazing. Great bonding. Why is your husband in bed and you in couch? Lol.
Ives bed shared with all my kids u til at least 3. My husband too. With my 3 year old now! We put our mattress in the floor when she was 1 and got a king size. She still hogs it haha. But if you do it safely with no pillows! Blankets, or loose sheets, it should be fine as long as you awake when they squirm.

2 Likes

In certain states itā€™s actually illegal to sleep with your baby, I know often times infants/babies have been suffocated by co-sleeping, which they just end up calling SIDSā€¦. In Illinois if you are sleeping with your infant and they suffocate while you were sleeping with them you can actually be chargedšŸ˜”ā€¦ my nephews son passed away, they called it positional asphyxiation, they had him propped on a Boppy pillow at four months old, and his back slid down flat and his neck was still pushed up and he suffocated wwhile he was sleeping with his dadā€¦.Coroner told me that he actually could have charged my nephewā€¦ he knew it was an accident but they always are- so itā€™s the call of the coroner.

2 Likes

Put the father on the couch and you two take the bed

4 Likes

I have co slept with all my babies currently co sleeping with my one year old and four year old and there fine btw dad is also in the bed with us

1 Like

Why are you sleeping on the couch with a baby ? Thatā€™s not safe at all
He should sleep on the couch tbh

4 Likes

Personally Iā€™ve done both, Iā€™ve co slept with my youngest and his sisterā€™s both were put to bed in the crib on a sleeping schedule. But why heck your husband sleeping comfortably in the bed while your on the couch with the baby girl!

2 Likes

Everyone has an opinion on co-sleeping. It worked for me. I loved it. Hereā€™s a few pics that Iā€™d recommend.

1 Like

I donā€™t think thatā€™s safe at all, to sleep with a baby of any age on the sofa. Im assuming you would have the baby on the inside, so they donā€™t fall of the side, but they are more at risk on the inside as they can fall in between the cushions, they are trapped between you and the sofa and suffocate. If you really need to sleep separately, put him on the sofa or at least get the baby of the sofa.

Iā€™ve co slept with my son since he was 7 months. Heā€™s nearly 4 and still sleeping in our bed :sweat_smile::joy: and his bed is in our room right next to ours! Owell I still love it

1 Like

Iā€™ve coslept with my son since he was 4 months old and heā€™s going on 2.5. Gives me peace of mind that heā€™s right next to me and it gives him comfort so itā€™s a win win.

1 Like

I know of a woman who rolled over her baby. The baby died. A little boy.

1 Like

Why the heck does he have the bed and you both on the couch?! That isnā€™t safeā€¦
co sleeping can be safe if you follow all the steps, the first one would be you and her in the bed and him on the couch

7 Likes

It really isnā€™t safe.

1 Like

If you follow the safe sleep seven. Its also very beneficial to you and baby. Find groups on fb :sparkling_heart:

1 Like
1 Like

Itā€™s way safer than sleeping on the couchā€¦

1 Like

I co slept with all five of my kids

3 Likes

No donā€™t sleep on the sofa with the baby thatā€™s so dangerous that how alot of babies die make him sleep on the sofa you and baby in the bed.

3 Likes

Dont sleep on couch way to dangerous , find a bed ā€¦

3 Likes

no. put her in her own bed

1 Like

It worked for me and my two children. I will co-sleep again if I have another little one. You have to feel comfortable about it.

The couch is kind of a tricky place to keep safe. Could you put a pack and play next to the couch by you?

1 Like

Kick the dad out of the bed for you and baby to sleep, thatā€™s much safer than sleeping on a couch. I co slept with my son since he was a new born. We tried using the bassinet it was just much easier to co sleep

7 Likes

0im a co sleeping family kids sleep wth partner and me if ur comfortable doin so nd it works 4 u and ur family thts wat matters not anyone elseā€™s opinions

I mean yeah itā€™s okay but why on earth is he not on the couch when you are co-sleeping with your child? I feel it would make it more dangerous on the couch.

4 Likes

My friend lost her almost 1 year old because they fell asleep on the sofa. He fell down between her and the cushions and suffocated :disappointed:

4 Likes

Safe sleep 7, much MUCH safer than sleeping on a couch :flushed:

The longer she sleeps in your bed the harder it is for her to sleep in her own. Start by putting her bed in your room and have her sleep on that for a month or so then further and further away from your bed. By the time sheā€™s one she may be able to sleep in her own room

Hard. To break them from sleeping with you b careful

It your child do what works for you! On FB all you will get is 75 percent saying itā€™s bad and you will roll over your baby and kill them, the other 25 percent will tell you they co slept with all their babies and they are fine. So just do you and what works for you!

1 Like

No. The baby can develop breathing problems. Take from me, I used to share the same crib with my twin sister, and slept next to mom up into age of 10, now I suffer from sleep apnea.

Follow safe sleep 7 for bed sharing and youā€™ll be fine. I bed shared with my 2 year old from day 1 following the SS7 guidelines. However I wouldnā€™t do it on the couch. That can be dangerous.

Side note: Itā€™s not as hard to break them of sleeping with you as people think and really depends on the child. My daughter switched to her own bed no problem. And so did my 2 year old but lately Iā€™ve been letting him sleep with me again until I get his bed put together.

1 Like

No a couch is the most unsafe place for a baby, she needs to be in a bare crib or pack n play till sheā€™s at least 2. Thereā€™s an amazing group of very helpful people to help with safe sleep. Pm me if you want the group name

1 Like

The only one with the RIGHT answer to this is YOU mama. Go with your hearts feelings and maternal instincts instead of asking social media. :heart:

Co-sleeping is not recommended, expecially on a couch as baby can accidentally get wedged between you and the cushions/back of the couch/in between cushions. Now saying that, I did co-sleep with all 3 of mine as babies but only in the bed. I would make your husband sleep on the couch and you and baby sleep in the bed if you decide to co-sleep

I slept with my youngest son even now every so often. He slept with me since he was born. I agree to kick dad out the bed and you guys use it safer than the couch