Is it common for law enforcement officers to make their social media private?

My husband recently got back into law enforcement and when he was previously we were not together. We are newly weds, he changed all of his stuff on fb to where you can’t see anything about his relationship an he changed profile pic an background pic to where it shows nothing. I questioned him about it because I do have trust issues from previous relationships an don’t want to be " hidden " if that makes since. But his excuse was because of the law enforcement job an that every thing has to be private, an that I’m just being crazy. I’m okay with private but is this true? Are all law enforcement officers like this?. I’m just scared I’m being gaslighted or maybe it’s paranoia?. I’d appreciate no negative comments as I’m already stressed out. I just want to know if this is a normal thing. Tia

229 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Is it common for law enforcement officers to make their social media private?

I know alot of people that are cops or even wprk at jails and their facebooks are pretty secure. I think its common.

3 Likes

definitely a normal thing…

1 Like

My father is in law enforcement and he has things set up the same way if he ever has a bad run in with someone that looks up
His Facebook he could have access to find out who his family is and figure out how to find them and do something awful. Growing up I was like dad you’re not in the fbi but criminals are crazy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

No I’ve had a couple people on my friends list in law enforcement and there pages were not private

1 Like

It’s normal. I have family members who are in law enforcement and they don’t even have their last name on there. It’s for safety reasons.

3 Likes

Around here it’s very common. Our law enforcement departments have private profiles, and most don’t share their spouses/kids or anything personal. I think it’s a safety thing.

3 Likes

I don’t know that it’s “required” or “necessary” but I do know that a lot of LEO’s keep their personal life private for safety reasons.

2 Likes

Yes that’s normal. Everything is usually locked down. Even changing their name on here so that their full name isn’t traced to it.

2 Likes

I work in sales and I lock mine down. I have had clients stalk me and get mean And all the things so honestly I think it’s a safety practice. Especially in that line of duty law enforcement or safety I don’t want people knowing who my family are in this crazy ass world unless you honestly know my family.

Sounds legit. What if he arrests a terrible person and that person gets out of jail and tries to search his profile for a way to “get back”… Maybe you… Ya know? Hurting you to hurt him?

1 Like

If I was married to a police officer, I would want their social media to be private for safety reasons. There’s a lot of crazy people out there that could find where you live just by looking at your profile

1 Like

It is normal for their safety and yours. I have several friends in law enforcement and their agencies have a policy that covers social media. Some even have to use a fictitious name depending on their position.

1 Like

It’s very common practice. They even change their names. This is for theirs and your safety. Kinda hard to find someone if their name is changed and their profile is locked down. Criminals don’t care who they hurt to get “back” at someone they think wronged them. And this day in age, it’s pretty obvious that everyone is the victim, except the victim…. Sister of a LEO here.

6 Likes

Definitely normal. You don’t want the wrong person finding out you have a family or who they are.

1 Like

It’s literally to keep himself and you safe. Have you watched the news? Ever? Have you seen what law enforcement endures!? Yeah. I’d sure hope his profile is locked down. I’m shocked he hasn’t deleted it

1 Like

It’s super normal a lot of law enforcement and military do it for protection I mean think if he made a criminal mad they look him up on Facebook and than they came after you and him

9 Likes

I guess it would depend on the policy of his department, but I know plenty of law enforcement personnel who do not keep theirs private. Sounds strange honestly.

1 Like

Yes it’s very normal, it’s for safety reasons.

2 Likes

Yes protect your husbands identity no public anything on social media.

3 Likes

Opsec to keep him and his family safe.

2 Likes

Maybe because of his job he’s trying to keep you safe you know there are a lot of criminals in the world now I too also suffer from major trust issues but my first reaction maybe he’s just trying to keep you safe you know if he arrest somebody or writes the wrong person and take it and they know his name and check him out on Facebook they’re going to see you and what if they come for you you know what I mean cuz people are sick and twisted in this world. I hope that’s all it is love have you tried talking to him I love you don’t know why you’re upset

2 Likes

Definitely normal.
You don’t want criminals that hold grudges to know anything about your personal life

2 Likes

Very common where I live

Yes. Very much so. And not even use their real names. Protects him and family.

2 Likes

Every police officer that I’m friends w…yep. they even have their names wrong. You have to know who to search for.

2 Likes

Yes, in corrections too!

No not at all! Plenty of my law enforcement friends are not private! However my social worker friends are and usually don’t go by their first name!

1 Like

Most professional professions that work directly with people who may be healthcare, or directly working with people are suggested to keep SM private!

3 Likes

I’m not an officer but a family support worker. It is required by my agency for our social media to be private for the protection of myself and my family.

It’s for your safety. It’s because he cares :heart_hands:

1 Like

Totally understandable that he would keep that private and you should also understand that. What if he or someone he cared for were targeted by someone holding a grudge. Wake up.

1 Like

Yess because he can run into anyone at anytime and if they know who you are they may at one point come after you and your family

1 Like

Yes. You don’t want him to arrest a drug dealer and then have them look him up and target you.

1 Like

Yes and no some do but I know many officers that don’t have there stuff hidden and show off there wifes

1 Like

Normal for protection

He should to protect himself and loved ones.
People are vindictive and will harm family and loved ones.

I would think this makes absolute sense and that you should be happy that he’s protecting you. My niece was very active on Facebook , but after taking a job that involved investigating fraud in government programs, unhappy people starting sharing pictures of her two small children. She left the platform all together.

7 Likes

Common where I live safely

I think he is being perfectly reasonable

I have a lot of people in my family who are in law enforcement and friends as well. It’s honestly safer these days to have everything massively secure, use a different name, etc. on social media. It’s a safety concern. By doing so he is protecting you as well.

I would think you would appreciate that he does that. Suppose he has to arrest somebody and it makes them mad? When they get out of jail they might bear a grudge and go after your husband or his family. Don’t get paranoid about the wrong things.

A lot of cops I know do this. It’s for the safety of their families. They deal with some not so good people

Imagine he arrests someone , and they look him up and find him and see you your kids whatever it’s not HIM they’ll go for. It’s you, your kids. It’s understandable

2 Likes

Taking safety precautions.

Its for his and your safety. If someone he pulls over is not happy. They look him up and who knows what they’d do. Dont be mad be glad hes looking out for you as well.

Yes I get private to the public but not among friends in his list if you’re his friend on fb you should be able to see all that info

Ask yourself this… If my husband makes an arrest would I want them knowing who I am and possibly finding out where you work or live or even worse if you have kids where they go to school…

5 Likes

Normal it is for safety

I would completely understand why he would make his page as private as he can being in the line of work that he does. I am not in law enforcement but I keep my page locked down as much as I can for safety reasons as you never know on social media… I will say, if you are newly weds, and you are already doubting him or afraid he’s “gaslighting” you then you got some major issues already in your marriage and you for some reason don’t trust him. Might wanna really take a look at your relationship if you are having doubts about him.

They do it for safety reasons. That way if someone gets mad at them they can’t find them or their families. Be thankful he has it private.

2 Likes

It honestly sounds legit to me

Law enforcement you have to be very professional anything can be taken out of contex and get you in trouble. Not to mention you piss a lot of bad people off by doing your job so you dont want anyone knowing who your family is bc bad things happen.

Common. Im in law enforcement and i have a different last name on mine than what i go by at work

Yes very common! it’s safety!

Yes this is very normal. I would definitely do the same is I was a cop.

You’re not being “hidden” you’re being protected. As the granddaughter of a LEO the one wearing the badge aren’t the only ones in danger when it comes to the bad guys. Most will go after family cause it’s easier to get to them.

6 Likes

Most law enforcement personnel keep private since they often have to testify in criminal cases. So displaying personal information about their family could be potentially dangerous. He’s doing it for your protection.

2 Likes

It’s to keep his family and himself safe. People stalk social media all the time.

2 Likes

Think about it, when is the last time you knowingly ran into a stranger cop on Facebook? They don’t advertise themselves. They make enemies easily.

3 Likes

Yes. If it is all over the place your life very well could be in danger.

Officers can be targeted. I think it’s a good idea. He could post some random picture for his profile or cover photo. But, not showing his face or his family makes perfect zense to me. Some officers probably don’t care though

1 Like

It’s not required but I’ve known quite a few people in different careers who have made their information private. It’s to protect their family in case someone gets mad and wants to target them.

1 Like

Most of the Leo’s I know keep their page very private. Especially names of wives, pictures of kids. The last thing you need is someone he arrested coming at you to exact revenge.

If I or my husband were in law enforcement I’d have everything private :woman_shrugging:t2: With how bad everyone is with cops nowadays I’d never risk it.

Yes I have a friend that is a state trooper. He has his name changed. It protects his wife and children. Since all the hate for police officers it’s best to make sure that the crazy people in the world don’t hurt your family.

1 Like

Yes! Absolutely! You definitely want privacy. Officers and families can be targeted easily, you don’t want the attention…

2 Likes

either have no social media, make it private or use a fake name. Too many have been ambushed at home, it puts them, as well as their families, at risk

1 Like

It’s for safety reasons. For you and for him. Are you that unaware of how easy it is to track someone down with the information provided on social media? There are some real nut jobs out there. Wake up.

2 Likes

Absolutely. Do you really want anyone he tickets or arrests to be able to find him, you, or your family online easily? I’m an insurance agent and keep most of mine private for that reason …if my husband or self were in law enforcement it would be locked all the way down to where you can’t even search for me or friend me without knowing me

I’d hate I to be in ur situation and ur husband arrested someone and they find out everything on Facebook its a good thing it’s private as it keeps u both safe for unwanted harm, trust is key if there is no trust why are u bothering xx

3 Likes

Most police officers I know, either don’t use FB or have it very private and not really even have their picture on it a lot…

It might be in their contract to not be on social media

For the safety of you and your family, yes. I’m surprised they even allow him to have one.

1 Like

It’s either private or not at all. It’s to keep you, him and any children in the home safe from people he pulls over in traffic with a bad attitude. DV cases where they threaten to hurt you. Drug addiction from robbing your home?

2 Likes

Yes my ex police :policewoman: kept his private too. Is a good idea

I would think in the current state of the world. His choice or employment restrictions. Either way, i would totally understand. I would assume for the protection of him and you. Best wishes. Much peace and love ☆

1 Like

This seems valid :woman_shrugging:t3:
I don’t even have my last name on my Facebook because of my job.

1 Like

I would think so. He pisses someone off unintentionally he doesn’t want them to be able to find him or his family . They do not have to where I live but I think it’s a smart choice

Yes,he’s an officer, it’s private to protect you in case of any retaliation. That’s my thought. I’d say thank you babe for thinking about our safety. Let that go, it’s a part of his career and your partnership it really is for your good. Heal those past traumas associated with trust remember he’s not your ex, don’t put him through what someone else did. You’ll be fine. He’s loyal.

1 Like

You realize that you can’t bring that into a new and healthy relationship. Regardless of your past you have to leave it there because you can’t give him a fair shot if he is constantly being compared to the past. However…
He is a cop. Cops have to protect their families by not exposing them. I have two in my subdivision…. They work at least an hour away… cops this day in age are targets and they are moving where they don’t work for safety reasons. Imagine someone he locked up get out and want to hurt him? This actually happens. So instead of trying to make it seem like he is being sketchy or because you had past trauma think about maybe he is keeping y’all safe.

4 Likes

yes its common because they dont want the bad guys trying to come after their family. its a safety thing.

Idk about you….but I’m FB friends with a lot of police officers and their profiles aren’t hidden. I’m also FB friends with some pretty popular police officers from the show “First 48” on A & E. Their FB profiles are just normal and regular.

7 Likes

I was in law enforcement for 21 years and could never understand why the cops ( young) I worked with and supervised had a fb page with pictures of family and friends there kids just weird to me. I didn’t get fb until I retired. When I and my family was out of danger. I understand from your past but sometimes we destroy our own happiness. Pray on yourself and for yourself to see your husband not your past!

1 Like

Yes. My husband’s best friend is a police officer in the city closest to us and he actually deactivated his Facebook because him and his wife were receiving death threats!

1 Like

Not all. But my friends who work in law enforcement and mental health avoid face photos, no pictures of their families, or anything like that.

1 Like

Most officer’s I know don’t even have social media for fear of their family becoming a target. It is a very real thing. I think he is being responsible in this instance.

4 Likes

They actually aren’t supposed have any social media

1 Like

Not required but strongly recommended.

Not completely trusting law enforcement is relatable. :laughing:

3 Likes

My boyfriend is a Corrections officer and because we live so close to the jail and see inmates that get out walking around town he doesn’t want anything happening to myself or kids god forbid anyone ever did try something so we keep things off social media we post once in awhile but for the most part keep our life private from social media I wouldn’t worry about it love

My daughter is a cop and she changed her name to a super hero. I asked why and she says so Jane won’t harass us like she had been doing to her🤷‍♀️

I believe he is doing this to protect you and family… some folks are not fans of the law and there are some crazy nuts out there that can be vindictive and look for any info on the officers for arresting them.

5 Likes

100% normal. More of a safety/privacy thing than anything. Try to relax :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It is very common for law enforcement to keep their Facebook private. I would think you would be happy that he is keeping his information private. Law enforcement deal with criminals everyday. What if someone your husband arrested found him on Facebook and found out where he lived? It could put your family in danger.

1 Like

So out of line… you and your baggage…. Have you ever stopped to think about how much so many people hate law enforcement?! No I’m not one one. Why do people feel the need for social media to advertise their relationship? Actions girl… little girl, actions. Watch how he acts.

5 Likes

It is normal. You never know who would go through his fb and see his personal info and use it to their advantage. He’s protecting his family.

1 Like

I think that’s definitely a common practice. At least I know for sure with mine it was.

1 Like

Do you want individuals that your husband arrests to see you and your children on Facebook? It’s bad enough, that when you Google search someone, you can get their demographics. I’m a probation officer, and I have EVERYTHING locked down. I don’t use my real name on Facebook, ordering food, or doing anything for fear that my children will be harmed or I will be harmed.

5 Likes