Is it common for law enforcement officers to make their social media private?

I would say with as crazy as the world is. Even if it is not required. It is probably better for you and your family. Given his job. It is also sad that I have to say that.

3 Likes

My husband and yes. It dangerous for all there info to be out there.

1 Like

It’s not something they have to do , but definitely some do it for protection and safety reasons .

Pretty typical. When I was with my ex, who was a cop, he was on midnights and arrested a man he had arrested before (smallish town). This was WAY before social media, and this man told him in graphic detail what he was going to do to my then 2 year old daughter after he kidnapped her while my ex was at work. Then he told my ex where we lived. Trust me, you want his social media private.

Trust him to protect you, if you can’t do that you need to leave! If you have no trust, you will drive yourself & him crazy. I believe he is protecting what matters to him.

Lord of people don’t like police. He probably just wants to keep you safe.

I know cops that do this or delete social media all together. It’s to help protect them in an Era of doxing

1 Like

This is very common with people who are in law enforcement. Even once they retire.

3 Likes

Most police I know don’t even have social media for this reason alone.

1 Like

It honestly sounds like a safety concern especially with an officer. You never know who’s holding a grudge and of their info and family info is all access to whoever wants to see that can be dangerous

1 Like

Yes I know a few don’t even put real last names to protect them and family

Very common. Alot of public service workers do not have social media for this exact reason. You don’t want anyone he arrests to be able to look up hai Facebook and see your whole family plus whatever caption & location is tagged.

4 Likes

My bestie works is a rn in mental health. Hers is like that too and she doesn’t use the name on her name tag at work as her name on social media either. Definitely a safety thing

Me and my husband have each other blocked…but I would think private, what if someone was to retaliate against him and go after the person he loves…YOU…better to stay private…JMO :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Did you consider it’s not abt you? Some departments require accts be locked down. Not everybody needs access to your family.
If your trust issues trump safety, pls find a new relationship.

1 Like

It’s normal my I have several family members in law enforcement and they all do the same

I think he’s doing this out of respect and his commitment to keep you safe. Be thankful for him that it’s not all out there for everyone to see. Most times less is better& remember he made that commitment to you .not everyone on Facebook. :blush:

Seek therapy for your issues. This is totally normal. Its a safety concern for not only himself but his family.

1 Like

I have a brother and two nephews in law enforcement and none of them have full names or the correct names on any media platform that I have seen.

Most won’t even have their full or real name. But the issue is you don’t trust him, and that should be talked about

Absolutely needs to be private
Here in sydney Australia
The nsw police highly advise for police not to be on social media and if they are they use an
alias.

We had someone follow my husband home after being issued a speeding infringement whilst on his motorbike and punted him into a car
He nearly died road side
52 operations late
He had multiple lifelong injuries

Too many people hate police for no reason other then they enforce the law.

I’m not in law enforcement and still keep a majority of my stuff private. No mention of who I’m dating, where I work, none of it and I still have family members of people from my job messaging me. Anyone in law enforcement needs to be extra careful.
You need to get over and past your pay issues or you will push this man away.

Very common. My husband is a police officer and doesn’t even have his real name on his fb. Same with my uncle who is a officer as well. My husband has everything private though. His drivers license is addressed somewhere else, you can’t search his name and and find our house or anything…

1 Like

I completely understand where your coming from. Personally I would be ok with it so anyone that looks him up don’t see his family to retaliate. Their job is already extremely dangerous. He most likely does it for your protections

Kinda my fiance brother a cops and u just have to be careful with things is already a dangerous job so u need to protect yourself and ur family and friends

Sounds like he’s protecting you🤷🏼‍♀️ in society today police are enemy’s and people will target those close to them.

1 Like

Safety reasons. For your safety.

Honestly I think everyone should make their profiles private. And most definitely something that should be done for safety. Honestly think about it. Someone who gets po ed for something he did as a police officer and decides to look him up on social media. Sees he’s married and finds you and decides to go after you to hurt him because you’re an easy target.

1 Like

I have multiple people in my family in law enforcement and many many friends and it’s very very normal. It’s a safety measure.

1 Like

YES! think about it this way…if everything was public and he had a criminal that had a personal vendetta against him it would be SO easy for them to find him and his family.

5 Likes

Yes not only normal but logical

3 Likes

Not law enforcement but when I was doing nursing placement I was told to change my name on social media or lock it all up . I changed my name on fb from my name on my name tag . Nurses had issues with people looking them up on fb and messaging them which isn’t allowed . Also have family who work in social care same was for them too and teaching

Found that to be standard where I am.

Yes, you are over reaching. Especially now a days. My dad just retired and just now got a Facebook.
If anyone he puts away holds a grudge, finds his Facebook and his family. They could potentially come after y’all.

1 Like

Yes, completely normal. I have a family member that used to work in a similar industry and she had an officer tell her the same thing. It’s to keep them and you safe.
It’s may not be a rule in a handbook somewhere, but it’s something that is highly recommended.

1 Like

What if your husband unset someone by arresting them
They find him of FB
And boom they know you too
Seems normal he would keep it private

1 Like

Who cares if it’s common??? If he doesn’t want you on his social media because he works a dangerous type job. Why even he concerned about it???

1 Like

One of my coworkers is the wife of a detective, and her FB is all private and invite only for this very reason. She even refused to be pictured in our staff photos on our website. It is a safety issue, because LEOs make a lot of enemies.

1 Like

Yes. They don’t want anything personal viewed by people that could mean harm to them. Including loved ones

1 Like

Yes it’s for personal safety. You don’t want some random with a grudge looking him/you up and finding out any information. It’s common in certain jobs.

1 Like

My sis in law is a pharmacist and was robbed at work. All of her info is private and she doesn’t use her real name for fear that the guy who robbed her could find her. I imagine being in law enforcement he would have run ins with all kinds of people who may try to retaliate and this makes it harder for them to do. My BFF is a DCS worker and she has hers private for the same reason.

1 Like

They should be as if there’s going to be any come back from criminals or friends and relatives, they can’t be traced on any social media. You should be able to see his info as well as a select few he chooses but it should be locked down to everyone else

It may be his preference…I have female and male friends and family members who are Officers. They are on Social media with open pages. Now, they are careful about what they post but, it’s not private. It’s not a rule, tho

Yes. In some states they can withhold their addresses from their drivers license for privacy.

I’d think he was doing that for safety reasons. Makes sense to me to do that.

Every cop I know does this. Different name and all. All about safety.

1 Like

They don’t have to. But it’s smarter to. When I worked at a prison. I had nothing if anything on my Facebook. People are scummy.

2 Likes

Everything should be private since sometimes, people don’t like going to jail lol. His relationship part can be open, not to say who he’s with but it can be public that he’s married.

1 Like

It sounds like a good idea, definitely a safety issue

1 Like

Sometimes it’s safer yeah

The real issue is your trust. Do you trust him?

2 Likes

My cousin is a cop and all his stuff even his name isn’t real

Seems to make sense but if you still feel upset maybe talk to him about changing his name on Facebook? I don’t even have my name in a way you can search for me. If he went by a totally different name maybe then he could still keep a photo of you up without a link to your page? I know situations are hard and just knowing what’s right doesn’t always make you feel better right away. A small compromise to ease your fears should be something he’s happy to do

Completely understand this. I can’t post pics of a family member in uniform. To much violence against officers. Just trying to keep their family safe.

Not law enforcement but I work in healthcare everything is hidden on mine

1 Like

He’s doing it to keep his family safe. You don’t need retaliation

3 Likes

Perfectly acceptable.
I have friends who work as social workers, family who are solicitors and use a alias on their Facebook. Some are even advised that this is their only option to use social media if they wish to do so.
Their profile’s are locked down tighter than a
maximum security prison for their protection, their families etc. Some of my friends and family won’t use social media at all

1 Like

All of my law enforcement friends have their profiles private and typically don’t post much about their families as a safety precaution. I wouldn’t let it bother you unless he gives you other reasons to be suspicious

Yes he’s telling the truth. It’s a safety precaution

Yes honey, I believe it is. I understand where you’re coming from when you say you have trauma from before that makes you question things but sometimes they’re not out to get us babe! I think this time he’s just being the gentleman and protecting you and his family. I don’t think he’s doing anything!

When I worked at DCF, I pretty much did the same for safety and privacy reasons.

1 Like

I would if I were a officer

One of my BFFs is a LEO and most her stuff is locked down and private. She does it for safety because she said you never know who you’re gonna encounter on a day to day basis. People will go to extreme lengths to find someone they think wronged them. Her info is even hidden on the property appraiser website.

1 Like

Investment are stepping stones for success, waiting for the government
to provide is a big waste, the market is all about Crypto and Forex trading, contact the expert trader on facebook

Yes , even my family that works in the prision system keeps things on private and different names etc. It safety reason

It’s normal trust me my husband is in law enforcement

1 Like

The way things r today he’s smart for doing that. I hope these comments make u feel a little better. U gotta trust him if ur going to be with him.

1 Like

Yes, I’d say this is normal. This would be a good idea for anyone who works with the public on person matters. I keep my profile private because I keep my personal life private when working with clients.

Being in law enforcement they have to protect their family and themselves there’s no reason to be upset at him I come from a line of different law enforcement in my family they all do the same tighten up their profiles

You married a cop… whay did you expect… Honesty? :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

It’s normal. My boyfriend is an LEO and he has no social media whatsoever. It’s a safety thing just in case criminals decide to get revenge, if they have to go undercover, or whatever.

Having trust issues can be hard to work through, but this sounds completely understandable.
Hang in there.

Duh! He’s gotta look single online. Lock down all evidence of a significant other. There’s going to be a bunch of :pig2: p*$$!es lurking all over his page trying to scope out the hot new recruit!

2 Likes

I have friends on the force. Their profiles are not locked down like that. So long as we’re on their friends lists, we can see everything. Same as my friends who work for DCF

1 Like

Anyone in any type of authoritative or upper management position does and should be. Imagine he has tons of friends and posts a joke that someone takes personal or someone he arrests after sue him and threaten his family because his joke was offensive to someone. His odds of this happening increases the less private he is on facebook

1 Like

Not all law enforcement officers do it but the smart ones do. Imagine he arrests someone and they hold a personal vendetta against him, so remembering his last name they find him on social media, subsequently finding you and the criminal decides he’s going to go after you to get back at your husband. Might sound far fetched but it’s more common than you know

5 Likes

My husband worked as a 911 dispatcher and he did the same thing due to safety reasons. And most officers I know have their stuff hidden also

4 Likes

Ummm yes !!! I work in a ER and mine is private! My husband used to be a C.O his is private. Do you have the slightest clue of what they go through on a day to day basis? The arrest? The psychos? The ones that search for you and your family? The stalkers? Gtfoh! Give it a rest

2 Likes

If you’re on his friends list you should be able to see his stuff… it should be private for non friends of his. It’s possible his job asked him to do it but it’s red flaggy enough you’re married to a police officer in the first place theyare the worst(in relationships not necessarily at their jobs simmer down)

3 Likes

If you were a cop in these days would you?
Safety and privacy yes it is common

i game with a cpl officers & their wives, they don’t even have fb but their wives have IG (set to private). IMO, it’s protection for you and if y’all were to have children.

1 Like

I keep mine on a loose lockdown even though I am retired. Public officials often hide many aspects of their social profile from public view. There are many creeps out there that would love nothing more than to bring harm to a family member as payback for having been “wronged” in some type of way.

What better way to stalk than by using a FB profile?

i dont think it’s a rule, but i know many people who are LE or married to LE and they do have their profiles locked tight, or they use fake names online. sometimes both

1 Like

I’d want to be private. What if one of the criminals stalked him then something happens to family

Lol everyone saying it’s normal :rofl:, it’s facts that cops are one of the top on the list to have affairs. I’d be on your toes but be smart about it and don’t go crazy over it. Regardless of what ppl do career wise ppl will find a way to cheat. And the truth will always come to light.

2 Likes

Yes for the protection of their families. Never know what wack job that he arrests will come after the family

1 Like

The smart ones do so if they piss someone off really bad they can’t go looking for a way to hurt their family … Sarah Diveley

Uh. Yeah. It’s to protect himself, and his family.

Some I have met have a fake name or have theirs super locked down.

Yes…it is for their protection. Also people outside of law enforcement do this.

So I have all of my social accounts locked down and private to the point of if your not a friend you can’t see what I post unless I make it public.

I have kids though so my account is private to protect them.

Let a gang banger come to your house and you will see why he wants his home life private.

3 Likes

This is legit. His name is on his chest. Anyone he arrests can try to find him, find you, potentially harm you/him/your family.
I work in health care and don’t use my last name for the same reasons. People do weird stuff. He’s already interacting with people who are breaking the law. It’s wise not to put anything past them. I’m sure his department tells him to do so as well.

5 Likes

If I were a law enforcement officer I would def set my stuff to private.

1 Like

For safety, yes. Some even let social media go all together.

1 Like

This sounds like he cares about protecting his family … ?

1 Like

I think this is a good idea. He’s essentially protecting you. 1 criminal looking for revenge is all it takes

2 Likes

Yea it’s normal. I have friends that are cops and most of their stuff is super private. They don’t even use their full name

1 Like

l get paid over $190 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $17975 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://AmazingWorking762.pages.dev/

Yes. I keep mine very private