Is it common for law enforcement officers to make their social media private?

Not all of them do but it makes sense. If I were in law enforcement I would simply so that no one can hound my page for ways to get back at me if they felt I wronged them in doing my job. This is a protection concept in my opinion.

Yes they do- for their protection and yours

My son is a LEO and his stuff is kept private for safety reasons so I think your insecurities are getting the best of you. Let it go sis it’s more than likely for safety not only for him but for you. I always ask my son permission of I want to post a picture of him in uniform

1 Like

A lot of excuses claiming “safety”…
Taking down pics and pertinent info is understandable “to thwart angry stalkers he has arrested”… There is no excuse for hiding the MARRIED relationship status. He’s keeping his options open.

4 Likes

Yes it’s common and even government officials , military with high clearance . But just to ease your mind ask him to look at it once in awhile and let him know your fears .

Yes It’s pretty common but not a law or anything but I am friends w a bunch of Leo’s who are very stern kind of serious leos and they are very private bc they consider themselves to represent the community but it’s also common that they don’t most much of anything and still have it private

My uncle is a cop of over 25 years andmajoruty of his stuff is private. You dont wantpeople to know your families faces or names etc. You need to be less worried about cheating and realize hes trying to protect his family.
It’s no joke for a cop nowadays. They are targeted individuals to a degree

You want someone to be able to retaliate against him by going after you? Of course, private is the best way to go.

1 Like

With the amount of psychos out there gunning for cops, it’s a safety measure.

2 Likes

I have a lot of police friends from where I work and everyone of them has that same set up, or they got rid of their social media altogether.

Yes common practice on advice of their employer

I don’t blame the guy in this day and age, I would lock my info down too. It’s definitely way more dangerous for LEO’s these days. It’s too easy to be doxxed having your personal info out there like that and honestly he may be doing it for your protection as well. Just an opinion though since I don’t know the whole situation.

2 Likes

He’s protecting you. As a former LEO wife, take it from me… you prefer it this way. Having any hint of you on his social media puts you in danger. Anyone he arrests or deals with knows his name and can easily find him and then you if you’re linked.

5 Likes

Honey he keeps it private cause criminals get pissed at him you may become a hostage or even killed cause they hate him. It’s for your protection as well as his🥰

3 Likes

That’s a no brainer. Of course law enforcement officers need privacy for safety to themselves and family members. You should be doing the same. Everyone should be doing the same.

6 Likes

One criminal that wants revenge and the first place they’re going to is his Facebook

2 Likes

I would think he has to be private to protect himself and his family .This world is crazy girl… have more confidence

1 Like

I think its down to the individual, my brother is a head teacher and has like 0 social media an what he does have is a diff name entirely etc.

Many people I know who are in the police social services keep their fb private an don’t have partners on their etc.

He may of been advised
Or could just want to.
At the end of the day its only Facebook its what happens in real life that counts.
Go back 15 years an this wouldn’t really be an issue

I’m a care asistnat and I’ve had clients families find and message me. :roll_eyes::flushed:
So I’m minimal with who I have an what I share.
Unwanted messages or friend requests just get ignored.

It sounds right. Better to be safe than sorry.

Very normal. With all the crazies out there they have to protect their family. My two brothers and friends are all private. It’s about protecting the family from the criminals they arrest

Yes, depending on what type of job they have in law enforcement

It’s for privacy reasons and day to day activity that comes with the job.

These days I do not blame him what so ever! Do you see how much hate people give the police these days???

3 Likes

I think he’s just being private to protect you

4 Likes

The first thing a disgruntled person wants to do, is come for you, then your family.

So for him to have all that private, he is protecting himself, and his family.

1 Like

My husband was a federal corrections officer and they had guidelines they had to follow for social media the first one being it has to be private and to not list family in it.

1 Like

Maybe it’s to protect you. This world is crazy…

It’s to protect you from anyone whom might seek revenge from an arrest or something in that regard.

Seriously? Lol he’s protecting his family. You’re reading wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much into it

1 Like

Very normal. My brother is in corrections and has his last name mixed up in the spelling so he can’t be found.

All are like that to protect the people they love. They don’t want the criminals they lock up, to know where they live and who they’re with. Chill hun. He’s actually doing that out of love

1 Like

I think its normal especially now a days with all the hatred going on. I know plenty who dont have their stuff set to private that share and post daily.

1 Like

Yes my husband is in law enforcement and everything was private! He’s received threats of coming after his wife (myself) because they seen his ring on his finger. Now he’s just deleted his whole entire Facebook. It’s too protect you and himself.

2 Likes

I have a friend who’s wife works in the prison system and he had to change his name and settings on facebook. It’s for their protection.

1 Like

Yes, it’s very common.

1 Like

He’s protecting you. It’s for your own safety.

2 Likes

Pretty normal - in nursing it’s suggested you limit who can see your social media or change your name. I can imagine it would be similar.

Idk if it normal but it could be to protect his family bad people might look for him if they have a grudge against him because of his job

1 Like

Very typical, nothing to worry about. He’s just trying to keep everyone safe

2 Likes

I know ow several Leo’s and ALL of their social media pages are hidden and private in order to protect their loved ones.

2 Likes

I have 2 friends on my page that are police officers and we actually met through Labrador groups and their pages were private.

1 Like

Yep! My brother in law was made to sign something saying he would keep things private.

2 Likes

Yes it’s true, even probation officers do it

1 Like

I know of a few law enforcement officers that do not have their legal names on their social media. So, yes, it is very common to keep things private. Also, many law enforcement have been fired or reprimanded by just sharing a meme or a political view on social media.

12 Likes

Well but it shouldn’t be private from the people on his friends list or his wife! I’m sorry but that’s not normal.

1 Like

I’m friends with a law enforcement officer on Facebook and none of his stuff is private. He has pictures of his wife and children on his page all the time, so I don’t think that it’s because of his being in law enforcement.

4 Likes

So, think of it this way…
He arrests someone who did something horrible and they bond out and are angry at him. So they go on Facebook and get all information they can to retaliate against him… If it’s private no info will be there. He is keeping you all safe.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s definitely something all the police officers I know keep locked down, and I know several

2 Likes

It’s 100% normal and for your privacy and safety too. My cousin was in law enforcement and couldn’t have a public social media

1 Like

Why wouldn’t it be normal? People are crazy and the last thing an officer wants is their loved ones getting hurt because some crazy person found their social medias.
I know an officer and she uses a completely different name on social media to be safe

3 Likes

My cousin is a cop and I can see all his stuff, maybe because we are friends? It would make sense to keep social media private to protect loved ones though

1 Like

Yes you don’t want a criminal coming for you or your child do you.

1 Like

I’m a cop and my stuff isn’t private.

2 Likes

His fb friends should still be able to see it. Just not some random folks on the internet.

2 Likes

All the ones I follow are not private, oldest being 49

Yes it’s normal . You think a criminal won’t stalk him and you ?!

3 Likes

Yes due to safety reasons.

2 Likes

In law enforcement I wouldn’t think you want that stuff out there
So say he arreats someone in a big drug ring, now they have your personal address and can show up at your place… Yikes

2 Likes

I keep all my information private and I’m not an officer. There are crazy people in this world and I would definitely want it to be private.

1 Like

My dad worked law enforcement all his life and he made sure no one besides his extremely close co workers knew about his family because he didn’t want anything bad to happen. Especially when he worked at the federal prison he was a nervous Nelly.

3 Likes

Some employers check their employees social media, I know some railroads do this, and I wouldn’t be surprised if police departments do it as well

2 Likes

It’s to keep everyone he knows safe. Girl, jealousy is toxic. If you have issues it’s time to fix it. Appreciate he’s keeping you safe.

6 Likes

I think that he would want to protect the person he loves from public harassment should anything unforeseen happen in his career. Try not to be to paranoid unless signs are there. If he comes home from work at a normal time and wants to give your normal attention etc you are most likely fine, if not then you have the right to worry about things.

2 Likes

My husband is a cop and his is all normal. He doesn’t even have his actual name.

3 Likes

Normal. Whoever he is friends with will see his page and pics.

He is protecting his family. Get some counseling to process your trauma :purple_heart:

1 Like

It’s personal preference. A private profile, a different variation of their real name or even a fake name etc. I wouldn’t want someone to be able to find me just by looking up my name. Especially if there is a SO or children also involved.

2 Likes

I think he is trying to protect u n ur little family. U never now if one of the bad guys r gonna try n do something

This isn’t just law enforcement but is doubly important for them for safety for them and their families. Many do it now because various peoples will use what’s on social media against you.
Almost all of mine is private because of where I used to work and I show my kids a lot.

I have five officers that I’m very close to. Four of them don’t even have it under their legal name they use their department nicknames. The fifth one uses her maiden name on Facebook even though she is deputy married name. I don’t think you can be too safe in this day and age

1 Like

Some do to safety reasons to protect the one they’re with and their children and some do not.

1 Like

I’d say it’s probably true… do you have children together? I’d want to keep my wife/kids safe and private… a lot of people are weird about cops… if he arrested someone it’s not hard for them to look him up and if you guys are on there or your name they could come back at you or your children out if resentment… it must be difficult… but stay strong and trust that it is for your safety :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Yes it’s normal! Alot of departments recommend this and employers do check pages

3 Likes

Normal. I know a few that do that to

He’s protecting you. I don’t have anything personal on my page either.

2 Likes

Completely normal my boyfriend is all over my social media he’s a cop but he doesn’t put me on his to protect me and our baby

Yes it’s normal. Especially depending on his position and the size of the area you live in. He doesn’t want anyone to be able to find you and harm you because they are mad at him. I’m not in law enforcement and i have everything on my page private. I have a friend who works in child psychology we live in a very small area, she had to go as far as changing her name on fb because some of her clients were harassing her children because they found out they went to school together.

3 Likes

It is normal. You should be cautious what you post, too.

Honestly seems reasonable to me. People can find out a lot about someone by Facebook alone, so he is protecting that information to the best he can.

1 Like

He’s protecting you from any bad guys so they can’t get through to him through you. He loves you

2 Likes

I know nurses, doctors, EMT’s, officers, government workers and even just regular people that keep theirs set to private. Keeping you and yours is a priority and social media is where everything is seen and found. If they make an enemy (and they certainly will in that line of work), they want to protect what they love.

1 Like

Doesn’t sound unreasonable, however I’ve never met anyone that does it

1 Like

Yeah I’m sure he’s doing it for your protection. Can you imagine if somebody got arrested by a cop and then they go to look for them. And there he has you plastered all over his Facebook, or his children and where they go to school. That would not be good

3 Likes

It is normal. He is keeping you safe. If somone wants revenge on him for putting then in jail he doesn’t want them to know anythig about his family. Now instead of feeling paranoud you can feel loved and protected! :heart:

2 Likes

Look, I’m not even in law enforcement and my page is tightened up… down to the name on here.

As someone who has made people lose their jobs through fb, even the tiniest personal detail is enough for someone to figure that person out.

Whether or not regarding law enforcement, you should take these precautions. You never know.

6 Likes

Yes it’s normal. I have friends who are cops that will not go on fb because of their job and it’s Facebook… Doesn’t have to be on fb to be real or whatnot. But you just need a crazy person he pissed off that can do better searches than the FBI… AND YEAH.

4 Likes

Yep and you may want to consider locking yours down as well

7 Likes

He’s protecting you!

3 Likes

It’s not an excuse, he’s trying to keep you safe. I don’t know about normal, but its necessary!

3 Likes

I have family in law enforcement and they don’t have their full names, like they use their first and middle or nicknames. I would believe him.

Yes.
And Electricians too

Seems legit to me. My uncle is an EMT and just retired from being the fire chief of our town. Hes always asked that we message him happy birthday, etc instead of posting on his wall.

2 Likes

Yes totally normal! I worked in corrections. And had mine on lock down! I took my last name off and still don’t use it. People are crazy and will come after you, and your family!

1 Like

He was probably instructed to do so by his employer. It’s definitely common. Doctors, therapists, social workers, etc., Have private profiles and even with different names, usually a nickname or middle names. Either way, don’t stress. He is doing it to protect himself and the people he loves.

5 Likes

I’m a nobody and mine is private :woman_shrugging: atleast I think it is lol

Normal.
But, mine is private as are most people I know unless someone is looking for a zillion random followers or needs to see 1,000 likes on every post for self validation - I don’t know why you wouldn’t want it private? Also, be careful with bringing your issues from past relationships into your current or you may find yourself looking for your next relationship…

1 Like

It’s to keep him and his family safe. Being in law enforcement is hard enough. But you make the wrong person mad and you and your family are in danger. Just remember it’s for his safety and yours! :heart::white_heart::blue_heart:
Also thank you both for your service!

Mine is private you can’t see none of my family pics, nor any one on my friends list

Protecting you from all the nuts out there

My Dad was a cop for some 30 yrs. One particular occassion he had to arrest someone who was an acquaintance but not friends nother like that. However he took a guess and threated my father that when he was released from jail he would be hunting down his wife and family and killl them.
That line of work you have to take precautions. There are some sick folks out there.