Is it common for law enforcement officers to make their social media private?

I have several friends in law enforcement and they all have either a different name for those that chose to go that route or they keep their FB private. No wife, no children, no pics. Trust me, it is to keep YOU and his family SAFE! Please support him!

2 Likes

My friends husband is a police officer and his page is locked up really really tight. it is to protect himself and his family. people in this world are crazy and having it oublic can end really bad.

1 Like

Totally normal for LE! And they usually don’t use their full name/real name for safety reasons.

Considering people he will arrest can go and look him up amd they see you all? Id rather it be nothing so they don’t see me and my kids and come after us bc of him.

I have 2 officers in my family and both of their social medias are private like that.

Absolutely with everything they go through these days keeping a private social media is essential to their safety.

2 Likes

I have my entire page hidden except for my relationship. If it bothers you, talk to him. Tell him you’d like to be listed as his spouse, even if nothing else is available publicly. If you are married then this is incredibly easy information for anyone to find, so it shouldn’t really be a problem for your name to be on there. If the conversation continues to be him wanting to hide it, personally I’d look farther into it. Your wishes matter.

1 Like

Everyone I know in law enforcement either deletes it all together, has stuff 100% hidden, or uses fake names so no one can look them up.

It’s for their and your protection. It’s never a good idea for just ANYONE to be able to find out who law enforcement’s family is.

6 Likes

Why ask when you already know.

He’s either got a side chick (best answer) or as a cop he wants to keep his online life private.

If you can’t see what he’s posting… then that’s an issue.

2 Likes

You should give praise to the Lord that this is true. Otherwise, idiot press and murderous drug dealers and criminals of all types would break in, steal, hold your family hostage or kill you.

Hiding social media info is not uncommon. Bank personnel at officer level, especially managers, often have their profiles hidden as those folks and their families have been taken hostage too many times to count.

All levels of law enforcement receive death threats.

Now, to your trust issues. Law enforcement and military personnel do tend to have fidelity issues as a group. I don’t know the percentages. I married into these groups twice. It seems to go with the personality types that are drawn to those professions. There is also a partner characteristic that is draw to the folks in those professions.

My suggestion to you is to go and get counseling to help you address your trust issues so that it does not ruin your marriage and add unnecessary stress on your husband as he does a dangerous job that requires his complete focus while he is on duty or you will drive him away. He cannot help you with this issue. He can listen and he does understand your angst but there will be times when he cannot take your call. There will be times when he cannot give you advance notice that he will be late. There will be times when he comes home late. You will need to be able to deal with this or your marriage will fail.

I’d assume it is to keep his family/friends safe, or the station he is working for requires it.
Don’t read into it to much.

1 Like

Maybe he doesn’t want anything to happen to you if he has an issue.

I don’t blame him been an officer you can make a lot of enemies when dealing with the wrong people on a daily basis he wants to keep his home life safe I would do the exact same .

I would honestly think it’s more of a safety issue. Really just think about it, it’s so easy to find anyone and you piss the wrong person off, then they have all your info on you and family.

My niece is a police officer and she shares

1 Like

Yes it is recommended that they have NO social media accounts !

yes… anyone ik in law, keeps their page locked down… this includes lawyers & their office workers…

It so easy to find out who people are and who their family is. I would be worried about my safety if it wasn’t private.

2 Likes

My brother is actively pursuing a career in law enforcement. His profile is locked down, everything is hidden, and his name is altered to make him difficult to find. He made it very clear to the entire family that this is for his safety, his daughters safety, as well as the rest of the family.

3 Likes

Depends, I’m just a regular person, and I have all of my settings on “friends only” for Facebook. The “public” doesn’t need to know all of your personal information

2 Likes

I’d be thankful it was… you don’t want certain people he comes in contact with to find him… cause then they find you too

4 Likes

My brother is a detective, when he did have fb it was a fake name and picture of a car. He no longer has fb

2 Likes

My brother and BIL are police officers and they are to keep their pace private and remove their last names from what their department requires.

1 Like

My sister is married to a cop and doesn’t even put her last name on Facebook. In laws entire family are police officers, no last names or identifying photos

2 Likes

Very normal so the ones he tickets or whatever are unable to follow

2 Likes

Yes it’s normal. And quite honestly your trust issues from a previous relationship aren’t his problem. He didn’t cause those issues and he shouldn’t have to modify his behaviour because of them.

7 Likes

Yes. People are vindictive and they don’t want to put their family in unnecessary danger. It’s nothing to stress over. They deserve privacy too.

Of course it’s true!!

1 Like

My brother n law has his private or he will deactivate it often. It’s very common and common sense. Unless you want to be hurt??

1 Like

Yes it true . My step son is a cop . So they keep it private

2 Likes

I’m sure it is normal. Plenty of people hunt cops

3 Likes

l G­e­t p­a­id over $ 122 per h0ur working f­r­o­m h­o­me. l ­n­ever ­th­o­ught ­I’d be able t0 do it but my Buddy makes 0ver $1965­8 a m0nth doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.
M0re Inf0…> https://AmazingOpportunity80.pages.dev

My son is attorney for his state. He deleted everything he had on social media. It was the advice from someone from internal affairs in Washington. She spent a week teaching at the law school.

He’s trying to keep you “SAFE”

4 Likes

I think it’s a smart idea for safety’s sake. It makes total sense. Better to err on the side of caution. He sounds like a smart guy😊

2 Likes

It’s for your protection. Do you want some crazy person with a vendetta again your hubby to find you and retaliate against you to get to him?

1 Like

I work with a ton of law enforcement officers and yes its to protect him and you. A lot even have mailing addresses as the police station so their home address is more difficult to find for their families protection.

Click my profile, it’s pretttyyyy limited on what you can see. (Law enforcement)

Yeah my parent works in the government sector and they use a fake name on fb because before they did they literally had a stalker following family members and looking up their home and following them and driving up to them at stoplights with guns. So yeah I’d say he’s totally justified for having private social media and based on my personal experience I’d recommend you make yours private as well for both of your protection.

2 Likes

Calm down and breathe!! It’s very normal. And also normal for you to feel a certain typa way!!! I’ve been there. 30 years married now… It’s ok… I see you love hard… and that can be hard in itself… Much love and luck to you and yours!!!

1 Like

One of my best friends is a cop, and she doesn’t have ANYTHING identifying on her page. She lost her mind at her mother in law when she posted photos of my friend’s daughter, because yes in instances where people are arrested they can seek revenge.
On the reverse side, someone I know is included in a legal battle with a state agency. The officer who is giving them the most trouble does NOT have his information private, and my buddy was able to find everything from where his wife teaches to his kids’ daycare, his mom’s church, and so much more information. My buddy is not the most savory of characters, and has chosen to screenshot all this information and sit on it while the trial rages on in case he wants to seek revenge later on. This makes me wildly uncomfortable and nauseas, but it was NOT smart of that officer to have his information so publicly available, specifically because of people like my friend.

I know a police officer who has his profile locked down, uses a different name and profile picture! He says it’s for his family safety. I understand it completely!

1 Like

Of course its normal. Hes a police officer after all.

Hell yes. Some of the people you deal with are vindictive and will go after family not the officer. My location is set to where I grew up and not where I live now.

If hes in law enforcement I’d probably change everything too incase some bad people wanted to harm my family or anyone I cared about

I know several law enforcement officers who even spell their names incorrectly due to safety issues. With all of things going on in the world they are trying to protect their family at all cost

2 Likes

It’s ok. He should as all law enforcement, like previously mentioned it’s for protection

Logically it makes sense to me. For example, if he had to arrest John Doe for domestic violence and John was furious and wants to retaliate and come after his family and all he had to do was look on social media, how safe would you feel? Calm down, take a deep breath, enjoy being married and plan a romantic dinner.

1 Like

I think it would be a safety issue …some people target police

Nah my cousin cop & he has pic of him & his wife

1 Like

Prison worker for 8 years, heck yes, they will find you. Stalk you. Gangs will go after you family. Nothing is hidden. But it helps to change your name and make it very private!!!

1 Like

My dad is cop and a CO. He doesn’t even have social media just in case something happens.

If your insecure about something you need to voice your thoughts to him. Not Facebook

I know a few officers, that do not want their family information out there, for your own protection. Some people do not like the police, or authority of any kind. Unfortunately, there are sick individuals that go after and target people’s family! I wouldn’t look much further into it, as long as he isn’t doing things that make you question his loyalty.

I would definitely believe it’s for safety reasons. People holding grudges, general hatred towards officers and law enforcement. Hell child services workers do the same. Family meme er of mine started working for CPS and it was highly recommended to make the entire profile private, no personal info accessible to the public because of angry parents/family members, people reaching out about cases etc.

1 Like

If I was married to someone in law enforcement I think i would want my significant other to be as private in social media as possible. He put his life on lines everyday that’s also including you unfortunately. He’s protecting you by not sharing on social media criminals can get angry and look him up on social media and bam your there in his pics and your the criminals next victim to get back at your husband for arresting him

2 Likes

Probably. Imagine if he pissed someone off and they managed to find you, to get back at him? Would probably be a psycho to do that, but you never know with people these days.

2 Likes

All my cop friends have fake-ish names on fb and profiles locked down so yeah

2 Likes

All my cop friends have fake-ish names on fb and profiles locked down so yeah

1 Like

My son in law, stopped all his social
Media accounts , once he became a police officer. Just too easy to find information about them if any bad things came to happen.

2 Likes

Normal, my husbands stuff is only to where friends can see. He also changed his name slightly. This world is a crazy place and I’d personally prefer our family to not be harassed or harmed because he may have arrested someone and so on. Every day LE officers have their cars messed with outside of their homes etc. it’s for safety purposes.

When he was a CO in the local jail I personally had so many inmates get out and try to add me.

3 Likes

Totally normal. Standard practice.

1 Like

Definitely normal. Some officers don’t post about family or life events at all due to not wanting to risk their family’s safety. You’re not wrong to be concerned, but remember you married him for a reason and he apparently is different from your past. However maybe even posting about it on social media is best if you help him keep his private life completely separated from work. So sometime being “hidden” is not a bad thing. In all honesty relationships thrive when you don’t post your business on social media. But it’s okay to be concerned just tell him how you feel so he can reassure you

2 Likes

My son-in-law is a cop and it’s not private

Well coming from someone who absolutely hates piggies… I’d definitely think it would be a good idea for him to have all of his stuff private for safety reasons.

1 Like

So why don’t you start posting him and see what he does

1 Like

Just be Happy no matter what.

2 Likes

I’d trust him on this.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s to protect you and all your loved ones.

3 Likes

He can make it private to every except you

There are many officers making daily tictok videos lol

Yes. It’s very common.

Think of it this way:

He arrests someone who becomes very angry about it. Maybe the person he arrests ends up losing their significant other or kids because it ends up being the straw that breaks the camel’s back when it comes to their relationship.

Person gets out of lock up or jail or prison. Finds his social media. Maybe can’t get to him, but finds your connection to him. Person is mad. He took away their significant other. He took away their child/ren. They decide he will pay. Eye for an eye.

You’re less secretive with your posts. IG pic of brunch with your sister. Play dates at the nearby park with your toddler and brand new baby.

They follow you. They follow you a lot and maybe you don’t notice. They start watching the house. It’s second shift and maybe he just left or was called out for something on the other side of town. They see their opportunity.

You left the back door open after you let the kids play out back. You’re doing bath time and don’t hear the door open. They creep through the house, unnoticed. They reach for the bathroom door knob as you wash the baby’s hair.

So yeah. It’s for your safety that he minimizes your online connection.

5 Likes

l G­e­t p­a­id over $ 122 per h0ur working f­r­o­m h­o­me. l ­n­ever ­th­o­ught ­I’d be able t0 do it but my Buddy makes 0ver $1996­8 a m0nth d0ing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.
M0re Inf0…> https://AmazingOpportunity88.pages.dev

Yes. He is trying to protect his family.

2 Likes

I feel like he’s being proactive and keeping his family and self safe…

3 Likes

My cousin refuses to have fb because her husband is a cop in St. LOUIS. I have several friends that are cops and the ones that have fb all use alliances

1 Like

Nowadays yes u gotta be and im not even in law enforcement :grimacing:

I try to keep mine pretty private just as a general rule and I’m not in law enforcement. This post is confusing though because is his stuff private to the public or private from everybody, including you? Cuz if it’s the latter THEN it’s a bit odd.

Not all are private.

Yes. My uncle used to do it to protect his family

Most are private but some go out of their way to friend neighborhood

1 Like

I can’t say whether this is an official requirement by his employer or not, but I would imagine depending on your location and your job this could be extremely common practice amongst law enforcement officers.

Every cop I know does this

2 Likes

Yess not only for his safety but yours as well!

1 Like

It absolutely is normal for that to happen. Literally anyone can find info about you, I’m sure it’s only worse if you work in law enforcement. In some places it’s frowned upon to even have any type of social medias if you’re in law enforcement

I live in a small town and all of the cops have normal Facebooks where you can see their wives and what not… maybe this is something if you live a bigger area but here it’d definitely be weird…

I never like it when someone tells anyone they are crazy for how they feel. Big red flag

1 Like

Yes pretty much to protect the family

Very common. Not just with law enforcement but in any profession that involves enforcing consequences on the public. Some will use false names as well. It’s just smart. Someone is going to get mad at him at 1 point. Do you want that violent person to learn about you from your husband’s page? It’s best that you put your page private also.

1 Like

I have friends that are cops that do that. They have a different last name on their social media account also. Just to keep family safe. You have no idea the crazies in this world.

Alot of them will even use other names too. Use a nickname or even their middle name
It’s very common

1 Like

Yes they do this n as a officers wife u become a potential target as well. It’s 2 keep u safe.

Yes, I have quiet a few friends in law inforcement and they keep it private because they love their families and want to protect them.

1 Like

A lot of them do yes. It’s a safety issue. Say someone has an issue with him and can see who his spouse is, Then to get back at him they hurt you.

Well I know cops who don’t have their account private but either way if someone doesn’t want others to see their account I don’t see it as a big deal. We don’t have to share everything with the world

1 Like

Very common. It is a safety and a lot of times department rule. My husbands is completely locked down.

It’s to protect all those he loves - there are crazy people out there that use information like this -

Yes! I’m friends cops and their pages are private and some don’t even have their legal names. Too many crazy people out there.

I think it’s pretty common, for safety reasons. A lot of people don’t like cops as it is, and so, it’s to keep those haters at bay from possibly attacking and harassing not only him, but you as well.

there are some people who don’t like our wonderful officers. so I glad he is keeping safe and his loved ones also

Yes it’s a must if their dept allows them to even have one. They cannot use their actual name either. As a spouse of a LEO I have to keep mine private and locked down as well. It’s for officer safety as well as family safety. As long as the LEO doesn’t use his/her real name he can say he is married to you but YOU must make your page private and locked down. Small sacrifices to be made for family safety. You need to be a very strong spouse to be married to a LEO!! Good luck and don’t always assume he’s in the wrong or gaslighting. There will be some things he cannot tell you per his job or your safety. You need to trust him 1000% and then some. Married to a LEO 23 years.

2 Likes