Is it harder being a working mom or a stay at home mom?

I say neither is easy. A lot to juggle either way. I work part time and have since my kids were born. 20 hours now, but used to be closer to 14 a week. That feels like the right balance for my family.

That being said, my husband would rather chew glass than be a stay at home dad. He thinks staying at home is far more difficult.

2 Likes

Stay at home mom for 6 years, worked part time for awhile and just went full time this year. They all have drawbacks but I say working mom is less stressful because you kind of compartmentalize with what you can handle and what has to wait. With stay at home it’s easy to feel like your drowning

i’ve done both, and both are very hard. neither is the “easy way out”. working full time, comes with mom guilt. and staying home full time can be very stressful. while working full time i did realize i was missing out on my children’s lives more than i wanted too, so i decided to go back to school and stay home with them full time.

1 Like

They both of their challenges and their good and bad.

Stay at home mom here. I’m going on 7 years of being a stay at home mom. We also have a 16 month old. My plan is to go back to work once little one is in school full time. I love being able to have the privilege of being home with them. But how I miss adult conversations. I used to be better at cleaning my house. But since we have 2 now, I’ve let some things slide. Depression is real. Check in with your friends every once in awhile. :heart:

2 Likes

Personally for me being a SAHM is more stressful. You never get to leave your job. No change of scenery. I like working even if it’s not the best job bc at the end of the day I get to go home and I don’t have to look at those people until tomorrow. At home the same people bothering me at 8 am are the same ones bothering me at 8 pm.

2 Likes

Being a stay at home Mom was the hardest job I’ve ever loved.

3 Likes

I was a sahm for 8 years before going back to work. I think it’s equally hard when it comes to the work part. But it’s emotionally harder as a sahm. At least for me. It was incredibly lonely.

Well you know working full time then you have to work when you come home. Cook, clean, homework, laundry, dishes etc.

1 Like

Being a sahm is harder but being a working mom I feel more guilt, this coming school year I’m not going to be home when the kids get ready for school, there will be other adults in the house with them but it’s not the same but I will be there for them after school and even be able to pick them up.

I’ve been both, currently SAHM.
They are equally stressful, just stressful in different ways.

I just recently had my son.
So my second kiddo.
I’ve been staying at home with him and my daughter.
And it’s been a breeze.

This week was my first week back at work and I will tell you it’s rough.
Working with little sleep.
Trying to work, then come home and clean.
With little energy I already have.
To me, staying at home wad amazing.
But throwing work ontop of it all, made it 1,000 time WORSE.

I think it all depends. I stayed home for almost a year and took care of the house, a 3 year old, 2 year old and a newborn. Then I went to work. In MY opinion, again MY opinion, it’s harder working outside of the home the 45+ hours a week I do, plus trying to manage everything else in life- keeping up with the chores inside and outside of the home, managing kids and their school work, running all of the errands, trying to get dinner done at a decent time, plus whatever else needs done.

Stay at home is harder for me.

1 Like

In my opinion they’re both hard, just in their own ways. When you work you feel guilty for not being there for your kids, stress from work and trying to get things done, it is physically harder. When you’re a stay at home mom you love having all the time in the world with your babies but its mentally hard. You never have adult interactions, you never get time alone, you’re pulled in every direction and you don’t get that lunch break, that 30 minute breather. With that being said tho, I love being home with my babies and dread the days of going back to work. The only thing I miss is having people to talk to.

1 Like

Working from home and being a SAHM and getting no help from your kids father to do anything!!

1 Like

Both has its own pros and cons I would say. At the end of the day it is what make you happy… On my personal note working moms is harder.

A working mom usually gets both duties

4 Likes

Depends on the entire situation…but for me…staying at home would be more difficult for my situation. But NEITHER is easy.

Both are hard. Cause being a mom ain’t easy, period!

But we do our best and we are the best for our kids.

1 Like

I’ve been both, and being a stay at home mom is definitely more challenging.

I’ve done both and for me as a working mom its alot harder. I’m tired from work but still have all the responsibilities of dinner, laundry, cleaning. Granted my kiddo is old enough she helps alot, its still exhausting now matter what.

Both are equally hard with their own consequences. As a SAHM, you get to grow your own babies IE, raise them, teach them, and guide them, however you don’t have your own finances… All while keeping up with bills, appointments, after curriculum activities etc. As a working mom you must do all of those things while also (working) keeping up with your housework, extracurricular activities, homework, etc etc. Neither is better. What is best is two parent’s who agree on what works for their household.

1 Like

They’re both hard. Levels depend on the job and the kids. There’s no solid answer. I guess at least with a job there’s an end in sight.

Being at home for me is harder. You constantly face this little gremlin the moment you wake up and the moment you close your eyes. Being a working mom kind of gives you a lil break for yourself. You can eat lunch with your co-workers, thats a great break for me, like a vacation. :rofl:
But both are hard and you have to choose what is your priority. I’m a SAHM and believe me, aside from the never ending work, you also need to battle yourself from anxieties. I honestly can’t imagine the hard work of work at home moms this pandemic. For me, just follow your heart and weigh what it is that you want. Being a mom is hard enough. But all are worth it. :blush:

1 Like

Stay at home mom 100%

2 Likes

I think working mom is harder… not only do I work 8 hrs a day I have to come home and clean, cook and do laundry. When I was a stay at home mom I got all these things done while hubby was at work. So when he came home dinner was done and I was able to spend time with my family. Now I just feel like all I do is work

3 Likes

Being a working mom is soooo much harder to me.

Physically harder for me is my out of home work, definitely more mentally difficult to stay at home 24-7.

2 Likes

Both are hard, you just make adjustments to make it work.

I’ve done both and I would say they are equally hard.

Both working moms have to get back to work and provide if there is insufficient income or they just want to go back you get the separation anxiety some women still have to come home cook and clean. But they get to socialize with other humans at work and stop the mom mentality for a little. Stay at home moms don’t get a lot of socialization watching a child all day long stresses you out then you really don’t have much to talk about with your spouse laundry cleaning playing and teaching gets old after a while and you get bored plus anywhere you go there’s two people to get ready and car seats are annoying AF

Both are equally hard. I was off on maternity leave for 4 months, and balancing the kids being stimulated, fed and happy with house chores is really hard. I started work last week, and dropping them off, getting them ready and spending the rest of the day after work to play with kids and cook dinner is also really hard. This is with the help of my husband…parenting is rough!

I’m a stay at home … work from home mom… it’s all hard. :woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging::heart::heart:

I’ve done both and they are each harder in their own way. Being a stay at home mom give me immense gratification but I craved adult time. I got so stuck in mom mode in my head after a while I couldn’t shut it off to even enjoy adult company even though I wanted it so bad. I felt like I was stuck on repeat. My job was never done. I was constantly on the go even in my house. Felt like I had a list I would never be able to complete no matter how hard I tried. But at the same time I would often look at my kids and be so grateful that I was the one with that time with them and it was mine alone. Now I’m a working mom and all I want is to be able to be with my kids and be able to go to every little thing and be the one to take them to every practice or school event or just be able to enjoy time with them again and not feel like my time is limited. It’s a catch 22 for me either way. If I could choose again I work part time while my littles are in school and get off in time to pick them up and spend time with them and get all the house stuff done. Both are extremely hard emotionally. I’ve been depressed and had anxiety from “loneliness” staying home even though I wasn’t truly alone. And I get depressed and have anxiety working a full time schedule and being away from them and feeling like I have no time to dedicate to them or just being exhausted at the end of the day when I finally get to be with them.

1 Like

I have been the working single mom and now the sahm honestly both are equally hard.

Both. I haven’t worked full time but it’s exhausting coming home from work after being on your feet all day and then looking after children and maintaining a home. Being a stay at home mum can be very lonely and mentally exhausting aswell.

1 Like

Definitely a working mom just getting out the door to do daycare or school ,bus drop off and when going to work an 8hr shift. And coming home and doing homework, cooking, cleaning, sports. And start your day all over.

I’ve done both, currently stay at home with a 1yr old, 4 yr old and I’m 8 months pregnant. It was hard before the pregnancy, it’s hard to get any cleaning or cooking done because my 1 yr old is always into something or wanting to be held.
I can Clean the whole house In the AM and then it’s trashed by 7pm
I miss working. It felt rewarding, I felt like my own person. Now I never get a break from my kids period.
Both are hard tho but being a sahm is not for me.

1 Like

I’ve done both and think a working mom is harder. U go 2 work and deal w bullshit then come home and do all the mom things

1 Like

I’ve done both. And they both present their own challenges. I’m a stay at home mom now and have been for the last 5 years… and I worked full time with my first for 7-330 everyday. Funny thing is when I worked I wished I was at home and now that I’m home I wish I worked.

Working mom is harder but i think it depends on your type of job and hours

I’m a stahm my husband works we like it that way however we’ve talked about switching the roles and have him at home and when I started to hand him the daily schedule he said I think I’ll stay working for a while longer :laughing: we have a very busy schedule

1 Like

I’ve done both. Honestly for me, working is much harder. But they’re both so hard in different ways.

1 Like

Being a working parent is exhausting and it’s harder for me. Then again I’m older than I was when I was a sahm lol…

Worst part about being a working parent, there’s not enough hours in the day.

Worst part about being a sahm, it feels like there are tooooo many hours in the day

2 Likes

I have also been stay at home mom and work from home both a challenging careers

I think it depends on the person. It was harder for me to work and manage my household. Im thankful I dont have to work right now… all of responsibilities at home get neglected when I am working a full time job

Staying at home is hands down harder.

I’ve been both. Both have their pros and cons. To me both are equally as hard.

3 Likes

Ive done both. And they both have their own issues. Good. The bad. And the Ugly.

Being a stay at home mom is way more work and harder for sure. This is the first time in my life I’ve ever been a stay at home mom. So I’ve done both work 40-60 hours a week. I stand by my word it’s way harder to be home.

1 Like

You know what really erks me ,is when mom’s are working,the government won’t pay grandma’s to babysit,it would work out so well,grandma’s love their grandkids,they are pros at cooking cleaning,and guiding the kids in their daily lives,and when mom gets home the house is clean,laundry is done,and probably supper has been started,and also grandma,if she is retired,she can make a few extra bucks,and everyone is happy,no stress

1 Like

Being a working mom is harder because not only are you working but then you have to come home and take care of kids ,cook dinner clean house do laundry etc etc …it’s like having two full time jobs but only getting paid for one

6 Likes

I’d say both are equally as hard if you don’t have a supportive partner.

1 Like

This isn’t a struggle battle. Motherhood is hard. Period.

1 Like

I’ve been both. Stay at home. I like to work.
It’s not fair to ask opinion, every has diff viewpoints.
Works for some, not all

Being a working mom, because I still gotta work more once I get home.

1 Like

I’ve done both, & it really is both hard no matter what.

1 Like

I read a quote that says
“Being a sahm is hard for my sanity and being a working mom is hard for my heart.” Both have its pros and cons but I believe either is hard.

4 Likes

Both are very hard but in different ways.

2 Likes

They both are stressful…being a working or stay at home home is so hard…

Both are equally tough…

I’ve done both but I’d say working in my situation bc I’m a single mom of two girls full time so after work I have no help with the kids when I have to cook clean do laundry grocery shop, all that. Everyone situation is different tho! If I had someone to help with the kids after I got home I’d rather work tho.

I’ve done both. They both present their own challenges. I enjoy being a working mom. It is harder working because you still have to get everything done that you would if you stayed home. But for me I was so bored staying home and the isolation and lack of having my own money drove me crazy. I enjoy the challenge of being a working mom and going to college full time online. But I think it depends on the person.

Being a SAHM was more exhausting for me. I felt like I had to be doing something all day to “earn my keep”. I was touched out, talked out, and checked out by 7pm. No breaks doing a thankless job. I’m a much better mama when I’m a working mama.

7 Likes

Both have pros and cons. I would say both are equally hard but in different ways!

I’ve done both, and they both have their challenges.

I think it depends on the person. For me, being a SAHM is harder BUT it’s also something I wouldn’t change for the world.

There’s pro’s and cons to both. :woman_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

Neither is easy. If you’re a sahm, you’re most likely with kids 24/7 and you don’t get that little break you as a mom need. But a working mom, also has to worry if she’s doing enough at home, spending enough time with her children etc. it’s a struggle either way.

I’ve been both. They are each hard but for different reasons. I loved being a stay at home mom. Now I work and feel like I miss out on so much.

I’ve done both but I think working and being a mom is harder.

I’m a stay at home mom now… have been for 4 years now …I have 5 kids 13 10 6 4 and 8 months and I will say it’s easier to stay home…working you had to come home clean when u was too tired to clean and make supper after a long shift…my husband works 12s and I can’t afford daycare im better off just to stay home with them while the little ones are little… when they were in daycare 4 years ago its was a headache there was things I did not like that the daycare did…but everyone hass there opinions…mine is staying home is easier :woman_shrugging:

Me personally it’s harder to be a working mom then a stay at home mom. I had the luxury of being able to be a stay at home mom when my kids where babies, now their all in school and I work while their at school and it feels like I’ll never get caught up on house work. When I stayed at home I just took care of my house hold and had time for anything. :woman_shrugging:t3: Just my opinion.

Both! I’ve been both and I’ve known others of each different people different circumstances

I have found been a stay at home mum is harder, I was way more organised and on top of things when I was working. I am way less social now and that’s mentally draining I find.

1 Like

I think staying at home is harder. I love my kids to death but i love working and being away for a few hours is amazing even if it is at work. When i was workin i would still come home to clean and take care of the kids cuz my fiance would work right after i get home we never had people watch our kids.

1 Like

I did both and honestly being a stay at home mom is harder just because most of the time the only adult interaction you get is your spouse it can be very lonely. And at least when I worked I got a break from my kids even if it was work. It was my away time/break time

4 Likes

Staying home I think is harder! 12 9 and 18months! You have zero you time!

I think it’s all dependant on the person. I found it much harder being a SAHM to manage my mental health. Working FT 9-5, being a single mum of 3 kids is hard and exhausting too, but I find as long as we’re in a good routine Im much happier and a better mum. Also having a better income means I can provide better opportunities for my kids. I think being away so many hours of the day makes me put more effort into creating really special moments with my kids too, when I was a SAHM I felt so drained all the time with having the kids wanting my attention all the time that I was always seeking a bit of ‘me time’ where as now it’s the other way and I can’t wait to play that game, read that book or do anything else they want me to do.

1 Like

I tried stay at home. I def would rather go to work. Both are hard jobs and just depends on the person.

I’m currently a full time working mom and a full time online college student. Yes I miss my son and wish I could stay home with him all day long but knowing that I can provide for him and continue my education to give us a better life keeps me going! Everything I do is for him!

I was a stay at home Mom for years! I think it’s much harder to stay at home. Now I work. No paycheck, no 401K, no monies into Social Security… People always think you have tons of time on your hands. You work, get a paycheck, financially build your future and pay other people to Mom for you. I think when a Mom stays home for her family it’s the best thing but it’s for sure harder! My opinion!

My husband had a opportunity to stay home for 3 month with our kids. One morning on my out the door for work my daughter goes to her dad i dont feel good. He goes ill make you bf and you will feel better. 30 min after i leave i get a call my daughter pucked ever where and he dont know what to do. I told him ginerale. Keep and eye on fever and use tylenol and cool baths. Dr number on frig. Then clean up the puck he says i cant im pucking too. Then couple weeks later i come home from work and he says our son needs pants. I stated no he dont he had 10 prs of school pants abd 10 pair of play pants. I go to the step and yell to my son throw down your laundry. Lesson learned he did laundry all day the next day . Lol

1 Like

They’re both pretty difficult in their own ways. Since I work a week on a week off, I feel like a sahm on my week off. I’m home all day with them, try to get stuff done around the house and keep them entertained (they’re 4 and 1.5). On my on week, I barely see them and have to rely on my husband to get things done around the house. They see a lot of the babysitter during my on week. But honestly, I couldn’t handle being home 24/7. I almost look forward to going to work and getting a “break”.

1 Like

I’m doing both now I work from home and my son is here with me too :upside_down_face: i also use to be a stay at home mom and not work and I think they are both pretty much equal. Just diff kinds of stress

I have been both.! My opinion is a stay home mom cause no breaks and being home all the time stressed me. However working and coming home to do everything is also stressful.

2 Likes

I personally can’t handle being a stay at home mom. I love the time I get to go to work. I am in the construction union, so I’m in the hot weather as well as when it’s pouring rain. But for me I like working and it’s extremely hard to be a stay at home mom. I give props to any mom that stays home it to me is way harder to me.

3 Likes

Being a mom is just hard :blush:

3 Likes

I personally have done both. When I had my daughter 9 years ago, I took off of work for three months and went back to work. I hated leaving her but we both had to work so didnt have a choice. Now I stay at home w my 14 month old son because I also help take care of my mom. I love the time and bonding I get w my son but it is a little more stressful I think being home. Cooking, cleaning, laundry and looking after him and my daughter and mother and two other adults…which they help out some as well, so I see both sides. But I do miss working and being w adults more on a regular basis. I am a very social person so that gets hard sometimes. But then I think…this time I get w my little one is also so worth it. Good luck w your decision. But both are equally as hard I think :heart:

When I was a stay at home mom it seemed so much harder but now that I’m working I’ve realized it’s harder. Only because when I get home I still have to do everything I did as a stay at home mom, by myself. Me working didn’t change anything except I’m not stuck home. I still have to cook, clean, do the laundry, take care of the kids. Yes the kids have chores but they can’t be expected to do everything. He doesn’t help with any household chores just like when I was staying home. Even though it’s harder, I prefer working.

I have done both. Working out of the home is difficult because you feel a lot of guilt about being away from your child and you feel like you are missing out on watching your child grow but for me, being a stay at home mom has been much more difficult. When I worked I got to get out of the house and interact with other adults. We don’t really have family that close to us that we trust with our kids so when I became a stay at home again it has been me with the kids 24-7. Being a sahm made it very easy to lose myself and not ever take the time to do anything for myself. Being a mom will be difficult if you work or if you are a SAHM.

i know a stay at home mom and she has her momments and myself i work in my kids school just a couple of hrs when schools in and im pretty much a stay at home mom in summer and it can be rough as well.

SAHM is harder if you have to beg for money. I love the independent feeling because I have done both and having your own evens the playing field.

1 Like

They both present very valid challenges individually- honestly it’s unfair to compare the two…

5 Likes

I just went from working 40-80 hours a week as a CNA to being a sahm to my autistic 3 year old and 2 year old. I definitely think it’s harder to be home. No paycheck, no break really, constant cleaning up and feeding, sensory overload, no adult interaction, etc. work was always stressful but a slight break, routine, and socialization. Not that I don’t love my kids and think I’m doing what’s best for them. I just personally thrive better while working

5 Likes

I would think both are. I’m a single mom so I have to work…but I’m sure STAH mom’s jobs are hard too. They gotta clean the house, cook, do laundry, dishes, iron, etc. so, I’d think both jobs are hard.

When my 3 kids were young I’d go to work to have a rest

I’m a teacher so I get to be both depending on what part of the year it is. They are both hard, just in different ways. When the littles are babies and toddlers, I would say being a stay at home mom is tougher mentally for sure. My kids are 7 and 3.5 now and I can honestly say this summer has been the absolute best summer since becoming a mom. Leaving the baby and toddler years behind makes is 100% easier! I never would have chosen to be a stay at home mom when they were little little but I feel like I could probably stay home now and not go crazy. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Both are hard but staying at home is way more stressful and lonely. Getting out and talking to other people and not just solely being a mom all day is a better deal for me. I prefer working. Our lives are more on a schedule and i find chores and other responsibilities get done more often and faster than me staying home staring at 4 walls being depressed all day long, constantly overwhelmed by the chaos.

1 Like

Ive been both. Ive been a working mom of one, two, and three. And a working mom/college student of one, two, and three. And a SAHM of three and four. It was more difficult for me being a SAHM, but having more children in the mix affected how more difficult motherhood became for me.

I have done both and for me being at home is hard especially during the winter months (huge depression) but now I can’t picture myself going back to 40 hours a week. Really they are same just different battles and exhaustion.