Is It Normal and/or Okay for a Dad To Neglect Helping with the Kids After Getting Home from Work?

QUESTION:

“Is it normal and okay for a father to not help with the kids because he works and you ‘just stay at home all day’?”

RELATED QUESTION: My Husband Expects Me to Cook and Clean Because I’m a SAHM: Advice?

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

“Depends on what it is you’re wanting him to do. After working 12 hour days the last thing I want to do when I come home is be bombarded with chores and things that could have been done by the stay at home parent while I was working all day.”

“I told my husband a long tone ago. When he is at work then the kids and house is my job. When he is done working so am I. Then it becomes 50/50 he has always helped me even 10 years and 7 kids later he will help with dishes, kids, cleaning, laundry, or whatever. At this point, we usually do rock paper scissors to see who has to change the baby.”

“Good husbands/fathers usually want to help with their children after work is over they usually are a bit bothered that they don’t get to bond with their children all day like the mother. At least the men in my family feel like they are missing out on raising their babies when working all day. So from my perspective, no this is not normal.”

“What if the roles were reversed? Would you tell him he does nothing all day, and ignore all childcare needs once you’re home? If this sounds absurd (because it is), then the problem is about gender roles. Time to challenge those and negotiate household responsibilities (including emotional labor). Counseling can be great for this. If he were to pay someone for all the work stay at home moms do, his bank account would be drained. All household roles are valuable and important. Everyone deserves time for self-care and to recharge. You are a partner, not a servant.”

“My husband works long hours and gets home later than most. I always try to give him some time to decompress. But he knows when he gets home his child wants to interact with him and play and be with their dad they haven’t seen all day. Even if he doesn’t do anything else around the house which he does (mostly dishes and trash), he is fully expected to spend time with his children because he is their father and no one else can build that relationship with them but him. ‘Helping with the kids’ shouldn’t be seen as just a chore, that is time he is spending with his child and bonding with them.”

“I really wish we’d stop saying that a father is helping a mother raise their kids. I’m so over it. Lol, Dads and moms should give 110% each. Staying at home with children every day is not easy! It’s a job itself.”

“Hell no. They’re his kids too! I get him wanting to unwind for a few after coming home. Mine takes a shower and then starts playing with them, asking how their day was, etc. He usually does bath time with them. You don’t just sit at home all day. You keep them alive all day, you feed them all day, comfort them all day, etc etc etc. Tell him he can have his time after they go to bed, just like you!”

“No! I work 50+ hours a week and he is a stay at home dad. When I get home I take over. He gets some “me” time and I do what needs to be done and it is my time with our daughter. We both have hard jobs and we both need time to do what we want and need to do! Plus, I miss my baby while I’m at work all day, I already miss out on so much so I have to make up time! Don’t put up with that crap, there is no excuse for him not to help!”

“I laid this question to my husband because I didn’t want to be biased. My husband works hard and is frequently gone for long stretches of time months at a time. He works 11 hours or more on an average day. He comes home and helps me with dinner or the kids so I can finish dinner. He said that it’s not normal and feels that has a father you helped making them you need to help raise them. Also just cause you to stay home all day doesn’t mean you aren’t working. He knows that I cook clean and now help with schooling for our kids and feels it’s part of his job as a dad and husband to help. I work 24 hours every day I don’t get a break. If my kids are sick it’s up to me to take care of them. I am a nurse, a teacher, maid and that is just a short list of all my responsibilities as a stay-at-home mom.”

“Is it normal and is it acceptable are two different questions. No, it’s not uncommon for working fathers to not help stay at home moms with the kids after work. No, it’s not acceptable not to help raise your own kids even if you work all day.”

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW:

42 Likes

I always let my honey get his self adjusted when he first gets home. Get out his work clothes, eat dinner , sit down for a bit. He caters to my every needs so I make sure he has his time to relax after work since he helps me early in the morning and all I have to do is ask if I need something. We are good at communicating needs so we know what eachother need and what from one another. Teamwork

Ironically I work and due to illness hubby is unable to at the moment, so he looks after the kids. When I get home from work he lets me relax cos I’ve been on my feet all day and I don’t finish work til 7pm, but then I get up and help. Sometimes I’m so tired I ask hubby to do it. Luckily our kids are school aged now, with our youngest being 9yrs old, so they can do most things themselves.

It’s common, but not ok.
If mom stays home and dad works outside of the home, then dad should get a little time to decompress after work and then he needs to get off his ass and participate in his kids lives!! You didn’t make these kids alone and you shouldn’t have to care for them alone either!

8 Likes

To each their own. I think this is a mutual agreement not a right. I lost my job because of covid so now I’m a stay at home mom while my husband works 8-10 hour days. He still comes home and helps me with cooking and/or the kids (10, 2 & 1 yo). But I also understand some days he gets home later or very tired and I hustle to get things done so he can have a night off.

8 Likes

I don’t work my husband does, when our children were babies he worked a very physical job, he was part of a small 2 man logging crew, so he really couldn’t help much but did what he could when he could willingly by the time they hit school age he had a office job and I was working so we split up the evening chores baths were usually him and I did dinner. Now they are in high school and I no longer work so I do most of the driving shopping meals etc. I don’t really mind now, when they were small if was literally never ending and it was hard we made it through because he’s always willing to help when I ask. We are a team in everything and we decide what works for us all together always

Yes and no. I think it is normal for a person to come home from work and want some peace and quiet for a bit to relax and unwind. However, it goes both way. You have to be given an opportunity to relax and unwind also. Both parents have to be upfront (but nonconfrontational) with the other about what they want and need. If you both have to sit down and schedule time off, then do it. Or make a schedule a time where you can leave the house and he takes care of the children and vice versa. You two need to figure out a routine that works for both of you. Google some suggestions. Read some books but most importantly, don’t view this as a “you against me” situation. It isn’t you against him. It is you as a couple against everything else. If you work as a couple, it gets easier. Not perfect, just a little easier.

3 Likes

You need to know more specifics, and it is what works for each couple. I work a full time job, two part time jobs, and manage rentals. I do all this to provide for my family. My wife is a teacher, which she wanted to be. She manages the house. If someone needs some discipline, she calls in the big guns. It works for us.

I’m a bit of a traditionalist, I take care of the house and kids and homeschool my kids and my husband goes to work… now on his days off he’s pretty much all in with the kids and stuff… and he hangs out with them after work, but doesn’t really discipline or anything… I’m fine with it this way. In fact, I pretty much set the tone to be this… he works, I do EVERYTHING else! If I need help, he will help without problem though…

2 Likes

Uhhhhm no. It’s not ok, and it shouldn’t be normal. It is one thing to give 30 minutes to wind down and get in “parent mode”, but after that it should be all hands on deck🤷🏼‍♀️ I have been the working parent and the sahm, both are exhausting in their own way. And yes my jobs have always been physically and mentally demanding. Being a parent doesn’t have work day hours, it is 24/7/365.

5 Likes

Every family is a little bit different and has different circumstances, but it isn’t fair for him to never be involved.

5 Likes

Nope! My husband is amazing about helping out even after working 12-14hour days. You need to talk to him about it and tell him he has a time to be off work, you should too. It’s nonsense for you to do everything all day.

1 Like

No, it is not. My husband believes that it is most important to play with the kids at night after work.

1 Like

Depends on the man. When we do stay home we do everything. If you want him to help, just tell him what you need. Unfortunately they need to be told and don’t just do.

My husband stays home, I work. When my work day is over, I take care of the kids, homework, baths, dinner…

2 Likes

I can’t remember my dad helping me with school work much. Maybe in elementary school but not after.

May be normal for a lot of people but doesn’t mean it is right.

3 Likes

Yeah I think it is normal if a man has a physically demanding job that they don’t want to walk thru the door and immediately help (or at all for that matter). Though you should get “sick” for a week and show him what all that “sitting around” really looks like :joy: and even though he is tired you can’t let him get away with doing nothing with his kids! At the very least he could sit with the kids while you cook or do bath time.

4 Likes

I have a problem with him thinking and or saying you just stay home all day. Not cool.

4 Likes

Not if he wants his kids to respect him and have a special bond with them that would last a lifetime!

1 Like

No , not normal. I respect that he needs transition time and some space for a bit. But then he jumps in and prepares dinner or helps with the kids , housework etc.

2 Likes

My kids are all older besides my youngest whom is 6yrs old. When he gets home I don’t ask for him to help, I usually have everything handled and done before he gets home. If our kids have questions or need help he will answer and or help them. Our kids are very independent( I hate it lol)…but when they were younger I mean he would help but there was times where he would assume it was my job until I snapped on him…been good since🤷🏽‍♀️

No is not ok…but seems like it’s common…
They are his kids…just goes to show what type of person he is, tired or not …one should want to help and play with their kids… I know tons that are great dads :ok_hand:.
Some …just have excuses.

1 Like

It takes a conversation to work out what you both want. What is normal for me is way different for another mama and the same stands for dads.
I know one couple who take sleep in turns on the weekend… one does Saturday and one does Sunday and they alternate each weekend.
It may not have occurred to Your hubby regarding “mummy me time”.
You both have equally important jobs and both want to be respected and valued I’m sure.

1 Like

My spouse works and doesnt help at all. Even on his days off. Its upsetting but im a good momma. Not gonna force him. I guess a relationship with his daughter doesnt matter!

Ummmmmm no. He needs to help too. You are the one who turns the food into meals, and the house into a home. He can help to.

I think normal to allow little bit to unwind before participating in regular family routine.

i make my hubs spend some time with our kiddos. i make him carry our youngest upstairs to bed. on his days off i make him help with everything since i do everything else

My husband gets off work at 430 home at 5 we eat dinner then he takes care of the baby until I get are oldest to sleep which is between 730 and 830

It’s common but not acceptable. He helped make the children he helps take care of them. Period.

1 Like

My husband had to help. I worked nights he worked days. Tell u how good he did. He was in bed one night I get a call from a neighbor. Told me her son was over at my house playing with my boy. My son shot him in the mouth with a b b gun. It was my fault.

Yep very common I think… this is how I grew up. My poor mother…

Really, whether it is normal or not should have nothing to do with it. If it upsets you or is not the way you want to live your life or not the way you want your kids to see as the norm then that is something that a good man will listen to you and do something about if he loves you. It is kinda normal, however, normal doesn’t make acceptable or make it ok. There are some moms who don’t care or feel like they shouldn’t have to but most are not ok with it. In the end I think your relationship is a partnership in life towards a common goal of happiness and fullfillment. Or atleast it should be…I mean in the end…what else mattered?

after he is home for an hour or two,so he can get cleaned up yes,but after that he can watch them so you can get his supper.then he can watch them so you can clean up the supper dishs.he could offer to give the kids a bath stuff.

Its pretty normal :slightly_smiling_face:… but sure it depends person to person. My husband didn’t help with my first born but now with 2nd n 3rd he helps.

not normal in my family dynamic. we split everything parenting and household related pretty equally.

Is teamwork. You cook, he does dishes. You vacum, he does the wc/bath cleannig. Thats how things get done. Do a schedule, one activity per day.

No he needs to be with the kids also and help her out

That is pretty sad that he doesn’t want to and assumes your day was easier than his.

Nope! Mine works 60+ hour weeks of physical labor in construction. The second he comes through the door, he jumps right in with the kids.

1 Like

Nope but my husband seems to think we r from the 1950s. He works while I take care of house and kids :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

At first my husband never understood that concept it took years I had to go to work and show him i can do both he still didn’t get it until I showed him i can work pregnant and take care our home took years but he finally got it

we both work so :woman_shrugging: if i was home and he was working i would expect to do majority of childcare. it’s only fair

You didn’t make the kids yourself. Just because he’s off work doesn’t mean that work stops when workday ends. Ending of one thing (work) is the begining of another (household/gender role duties).

How is he a father if he isn’t paying an active role with his children? It’s one thing to unwind after work, but if he says he doesn’t need to help parent because he works he is likely a narcissist.

Would rather do it all alone like I am now than to continue to do it all alone with him laying on the couch. :woman_shrugging:

Its okay to let him rest for a while when he gets home.

Umm no. They are his kids as well. He needs to step up and help out with the kids. My husband works 6 days a week long hours doing back breaking work. He comes home eats and with the weather being nice lately we have been going outside and he plays hide and seek and runs around with our kids. Then most nights gives the youngest a bath. Its not a favor its part of his job as a FATHER. I would not be with someone who thinks helping raise his kids is a favor to me.

3 Likes

I think it is pretty common . I’m more old school . But if you have a problem with it you should communicate better.

Oh it’s normal but not ok. Train them right. :rofl:

I get that women believe that their spouses deserve breaks and that they need to decompress.

Do your spouses keep in mind of your needs?

If you are keeping in thought of him. Does he keep in thought of you? Is this situation more figured out in the moment? Say he comes home after 10 hours of his job to you after 10 hours of your job. Does he think of you and your break like you think of him and his break? Did you figure this out when handing him the children or asking for help that he wanted to decompress? Did he figure out that you need to decompress too?

Seems by number of comments lots of women are keeping in mind of the men who need decompression however aren’t keeping in mind that they too need decompression. Where do you get yours?

And does working outside of the home entitle a person? Does working in the home entitle a person? Curious questions from a curious kitty as I see by the mood of the comments many women are keeping in mind of how hard his day was or that he does provide. Yes. Fantastic. Yes. And so do you.

Nope. Not normal. You wouldn’t let a business partner get away with that while you are running your ass off so why would you let your marital partner?

Fathers need to participate in their children’s lives. Period.

2 Likes

There’s one thing if he isn’t doing chores or something, but he should be interacting with them, helping with homework or doing bath/bed time. When I was out of work this year and my hubby still worked 40+ hours a week, I did everything but the yard (and I even did it twice for him). Because he pulled his 40 hours, I can pull mine at home. But that’s house stuff. He still needs to do stuff for the kids.

1 Like

Them dads have to rest too you know.

Seems to be the normal here as well even though I work too

No They his kids too.

1 Like

If he’s a real father he’ll wanna spend time with his kids even if he is tired. I mean I get maybe not every single day but at least 3 of the 5 week days

Normal, absolutely. OKAY??? HELL NO! The house would be more your responsibility as you do stay home…so that’s your “job” so to say. But the kids? They are his kids too. I’d tell him he gets about 30 mins to unwind/relax after work…everyone needs SOME time. But after that he’s expected to help with HIS OWN CHILDREN

takes teamwork to keep a winning team

I’ve been doing it for 21 years. Get out now.

Normal, common, but not optimal.

I had a husband like that, he’s now an ex husband.

What about the call sperm donor doesn’t work & wont lift a hand cause he thinks he is king, & to even take the garbage out is beneath him, his pretty little hands may get dirty,

I am a stay at home, breasfeeding mom. But my husband wakes up 5AM to cook breakfast for us every morning before he goes to work. And when he comes home, he helps me with the dishes.

Maybe because he understands my mom struggles. He works 5 days a week with 2 days off. And me, I work as a mom 24/7, round the clock boobin’, no days off, no vacation leaves.

I am so blessed to have him. :two_hearts:

2 Likes

If he doesn’t! ur married to an ass

Yup it is to common in alot of homes

No not at all. Kick his ass (out)

I honestly don’t know but I don’t ask my hubby to help with the baby unless it’s a weekend or short day simply because I don’t want him to become overwhelmed… He doesn’t do baths or change diapers unless he has to any way. If you aren’t ok with that then y’all need to discuss adding some evening responsibilities for him to do.

My husband takes a break from getting home after 12 hr shifts and after dinner will help with school work if needed and spend some time with them my kids are at the age that most the do is require homework help and do their own thing afterwards but they are still getting use to someone besides mom caring about them and for them even though he has been in their lives for almost 4 years

1. Do you go to his work/company and help him out when he is tired?
  2. Did you discuss your roles and responsibilities before marriage and kids?
  3. What was your agreement when you decided to have kids?

It’s normal but it’s not ok

1 Like

Hi iam from syria. We left our house becuse of war. We live family in a camp near turkish border
We need help to get basic needs
Help us

Brittany Michelle Booher Jasmine Gaines​:eyes::eyes:

Depends on your relationship. Some do it that way but it’s a mutual agreement. Others don’t but the man is just an asshole.
When I was a stay at home mom, I took it as serious as a regular job. Cooking, cleaning and caring for my child was my blessing. If I asked for help, I’d get it. But I didn’t expect it out of him during the days he worked

Jackie Myers I would love to know the answer to this aswell :joy::joy:

No fucking way! I couldn’t handle being a stay at home mom. It just wasn’t my thing. My husband stays home and does all the household chores and homeschool the kids during this pandemic while I work. NO WAY would I ever come home and not help him with ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING that he would need help with. Staying home with kids and a home to care for is a 24/7 job and it’s is so unacceptable for him to put all of that responsibility on you. He’s just a lazy pos.

I wish a mofo would :triumph:

4 Likes

Abdolutley not he should help out

1 Like

Is it normal? For an asshole, yes.