Is it normal that I think I hear my baby cry when he isn't?

is it bad that i hear my baby crying but he was never actually crying? is this concerning? i don’t want to feel insane. he is 2 weeks & 3 days old. This is my first child. So today, I laid him down since he was sleeping and went upstairs to lay down myself with my bf. I didn’t have the monitor on because we had a babysitter stay overnight, and we both explained to her we were going to lay down for an hour. I was just about to fall asleep when I heard my baby crying very loudly to just come downstairs to see him sleeping peacefully. I asked the sitter if he was just crying, and she looked confused and said no. I apologized to her and explained that I thought I heard him crying. This same thing happened later in the day when we both stepped out for a cigarette, and I went inside thinking I heard him crying (this time not as severe) to find him sleeping peacefully … again.

127 Likes

Used to happen to me all the time. Especially when I was in the shower. Lol

5 Likes

Yes it’s normal. My daughter is 18 months old and I still feel like I hear her crying lol just comes w the territory.

1 Like

Normal my youngest is a year old n sometimes I think I hear her cry wen she isn’t

1 Like

Completely normal, happened to me alot with my first baby

1 Like

Its normal, your body is still learning to react to your baby’s cries…my 5th child is 2 and this still happens to me

1 Like

Yeah it’s normal, I had a shower in a shower in completely empty house and still heard the baby crying :joy:

1 Like

He is crying because you are smoking

11 Likes

Yes it’s normal. Prepare to hear it forever. Haha. I hear it and my babies are not babies anymore.

3 Likes

Totally normal and unfortunately doesn’t stop when they grow up :joy:I hear babies cryin alllllll the time lol

I have a 3 year old and a 2 year old. No matter if they are sleeping or in another room, I always think I hear them either cry or call for me and most of the time it’s my imagination. It just comes with the territory of being a mommy.

1 Like

Completely normal. I hear my almost two year old “cry” only to find him calm and happy or sleeping.

1 Like

Normal my son is six and I still do that I hear a high pitched kid voice in store or wherever knowing my son is off to school my brain snaps into mommy instinct until I realize he’s off to school and I’m at the store lol

That’s your anxiety with some mom instincts kickin’ it. Totally normal! You are not crazy LOL.

1 Like

Yes all the time then I yell at their father for not taking care of them they look at me weird like what are you talking about lol

2 Likes

Welcome to motherhood! It’s totally normal. Just a instinct.

3 Likes

Still happens to me and he’s almost 2 1/2 :sweat_smile:

Completely normal, mine are 2 and 4 and I still hear them cry when they are not even here (at daycare/kinder) :rofl:

1 Like

Definitely normal. :blush:

Yes. I still think I hear babies crying and my youngest is 10. I think it’s just mom intuition. I just go check on them to make sure everything is good.

2 Likes

I think this happens to literally every mom. I swore I heard it with my first every time I tried to take a shower and it was almost never actually happening.

12 Likes

Welcome to motherhood just wait till they start talking in there sleep! :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Totally normal. When you hear it, take a deep breath and repax for a minute. Refocus your ears with music or the tv. After a minute or 2, turn it off. As long as you don’t hear the baby, you’re good. :purple_heart:

Completely normal! My kids are 5 and 8 and I still feel like I hear them up when their asleep :joy:

Totally normal. I hear phantom cries every time I shower. Even if my husband takes the kids out, I still hear him.

3 Likes

Still happens to me when I’m in the shower and my kids are teenagers! :joy:

2 Likes

This happens to me. Especially if I’m showering i always think I hear a kid cry, basically if Im in the middle of doing anything for myself.

2 Likes

Yup normal. Another normal is when ur little one is happily playing and all of a sudden you hear a deafening silence…and u go to check he’s up to no good . Even more applicable if u have more than one child🤣

4 Likes

Happened me with all my babies. Well done for being so alert and responsive to your babies cries real or imagined. It’s completely normal and you are doing your job !!

Happens to me aswell when im taking a shower :face_with_hand_over_mouth::rofl:

totally normal… enjoy never being able to shower without thinking you’re hearing a baby even if your kid isn’t a baby anymore :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Completely normal, wait until you’re in the shower and almost trip running out of there so fast, just to find them sleeping :rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Yup, especially when I’m in the shower. Just me you’re not going crazy.

2 Likes

After my babies were past that stage, I kept waking up at night hearing a baby cry, my husband was as well. Turns out we were hearing the neighbors infant cry. We had to go outside in the middle of the night to actually hear it when we were awake, but somehow, we would wake up from the distant cry. Parents just never stop being on alert :slight_smile:

1 Like

I still hear it in the middle of the night and when I’m in the shower :joy:

I hear it tooo. My boys are 8 and 12. Specially when I get in the shower. And no one is here.

I can be holding my baby and think I’m hearing him cry in a different room, you’re okay mama

1 Like

Yep I hear what sounds like my 3 year old crying when she’s not even home

You’ll feel this way for years lol

4 Likes

Hearing phantom cries are totally normal, hun!

2 Likes

Yes mine is 8yrs old and I thought I heard him saying momma to me when I shower or dry my hair. I turned the hair dryer off and asked if he was hollering for me and he looked at me like I was insane he said no I’ve been watching tv. 🤷🤦Our momma brains are crazy sometimes

1 Like

Totally normal thing for us mammas

Phantom cries! It’s just because you are very alert it’s instincts

Glad it isn’t just me that hears it in the shower!

1 Like

I still here them say “mom” and I’m home alone! It must be a mom thing to hear your kids!

2 Likes

Wait until you start randomly rocking that bag of flour at the grocery store. That becomes natural too. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

I have to laugh react I’m sorry! Not meant to be rude :stuck_out_tongue:
It just made me giggle. I think most mothers deal with the phantom baby cry. We just get so used to listening for them that our brains turn our daily white noise into something we recognize…and as a new mom your baby’s cry is the thing you are focused on recognizing. You’ll hear it for a while but it goes away I promise! Once they get past a year and the baby crys and late nights wind down, you’ll stop hearing it less and less and one day itll be gone!
Take it easy momma, you’re sane I promise :black_heart:

It’s normal. You are not crazy.

I am 84 years old, live alone, and I hear my kids say ‘Mom?’ all the time. They are nowhere around

2 Likes

Totally normal. I hear them every single time I have a shower :joy: even though the monitor is sitting in the bathroom bench

1 Like

My "baby " is 3… I still wake up thinking he’s crying

Phantom cries 100% normal think it’s like a mom’s over reactive spidey sense bc we’re always on alert.

All instincts mama :relaxed: it’s a good sign. It shows you are alert and caring. You’re doing great and definitely not insane. I still hear my kiddos sometimes too and I’m 4 in. :joy:

My daughter is almost 5 and I still sometimes think I hear her yell for me lol. It’s totally normal mama.

The “ghost cry”. Very normal it happened every time I took a shower when my son was a newborn

3 Likes

Yes! We live near power lines and it interfered with all every baby monitors we tried. So we just left doors open. My kids are 10 and 5 and I still will sit up from a dead of sleep and think I heard them. :joy::woman_facepalming:t2::joy:

It’s completely normal. I have a 3.5 month old and I hear it Everytime I leave the room and come to find out it’s all in my head cuz she is sound asleep

Very normal! I still hear my boys cry and they are 4yrs and 5yrs old. :upside_down_face:

I hear my kids calling me when they ain’t home​:rofl::joy: i thought I was just going crazy. This has been going on since they were born now they are 13 & 14 its still the same. I’m glad I’m not the only one. :rofl:

1 Like

It’s completely normal

I’m on my 4th kid and ghost cries never go away you’ll do it with all your kids

1 Like

Don’t know if this happens to anyone else but the moment I get in the bath I hear crying. Race downstairs and they are both completely fine :face_with_hand_over_mouth: considering they aren’t even babies anymore lol

6 Likes

My kids are teenagers and even when they are not home, I swear sometimes I can still hear them. Its normal

2 Likes

Very normal. It’ll also never stop. It’ll go from thinking you hear them crying to thinking you hear them calling for you. I’m a mom of 4, aged 7-17 and I swear they’re all randomly yelling for me at one point or another. Sometimes the crying/yelling is real, sometimes it’s not.

3 Likes

I’m a mom of 4 and still experience this!

Completely normal. My son is 9 and I think I hear him calling me all the time.

Honey, ill hear a baby crying sometimes out of nowhere and my youngest is 10 years old lol :smirk: youre not crazy itll happen for awhile lol

1 Like

Yes sometimes they cry in their sleep too for a second . My baby is 2 months old and I always think she’s crying and she’s fine

1 Like

I laugh because I have done the same thing. I swear I could hear my baby’s diaper move in the middle of the night from several rooms away. Its a mommy thing. You are bot crazy, just tuned in to everything baby.

1 Like

My bub is 9 months old and I still hear his cry, when I’m out, when im at work :sweat_smile:
Its a mum thing :woman_shrugging: :laughing:
Glad to see lots of other mummas are the same I thought I was going crazy too

Nah, this seems totally normal to me and it will happen for awhile. I often think I hear my two year old crying at night even now, even while nursing my second baby in the room next to hers. You just get quickly attuned to any sounds that might be them fussing. I hope someday it goes away. Right now my children are now both in daycare, my son just started last week, but sometimes during the day I find myself looking in the bouncer because I think I hear him stirring.

Things they should warn you about… I totally thought I was going crazy at first! I heard it most when doing things for myself, like showering, and would get out of the shower just to make sure everything was ok.

Don’t worry. I’m insane in the shower. :joy::woman_facepalming: I swear I hear him and then as I’m running out soak and wet, he’s asleep and I feel like an idiot haha.

1 Like

NORMAL :joy: with all 3 of mine I heard them are I would think I would all the time lol.

My first baby is 6 months sometimes she’ll fuss in her sleep, start full on crying and be done with it by the time I get up to go get her. I used to up and run to her but I’ve learned if I give her a few minutes usually she’ll go back to sleep.

The amount of times I turn the vacuum or shower off and shout ‘what?’ because I think someone’s shouted ‘MUM’…

4 Likes

I don’t know if it’s “normal” or not but this happened to me and my husband when we had both our kids. You’re not crazy at all, just in “mommy mode”

When babies are that young parents should have the crip in the room with them. Anything can happen quickly.

1 Like

Its normal. When my kids were little I would have to turn the shower water off and listen…I was just trippin apparently :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Totally normal, google it!

1 Like

This is very normal u aren’t crazy

Welcome to parenthood
You will hear him for the rest of your life. Even when he no longer lives at home lol

2 Likes

Yep totally normal hun I still hear mine (when she isn’t) and she nearly 3 years old :joy:

Yes totally normal. When i had my first kid, i couldn’t shower without closing the water at least 4 times cuz i swear my son was crying lol

1 Like

I will literally be holding my sleeping baby and still run to the other room thinking I here her crying.

2 Likes

yeah its normal :joy: Even when you’ve left baby home to go to the store and you think you’ve heard your baby at the store crying :joy:

Every time I’m in the shower. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve run though my house naked, wet, with shampoo In my hair :joy::joy::unamused::unamused:

6 Likes

Mine are 17 and 14 and every now and then I’ll be in the shower and stop for a second thinking I’m hearing a baby cry! Then laugh at myself :joy:

It’s normal. Phantom cries.
My babies 4, i swear i heard her yell at mom the other night, in the middle of the night, it woke me up! I went to check & she was sound asleep. Does it ever stop???

I think I hear my kids crying all the time when their not.

Yes, you hear cries even when they’re not crying or even babies anymore, especially while showering! LOL

Happens every time I get in the shower or if my kids stay with their grandparents overnight lol i randomly wake up “hearing” crying lol

1 Like

I hear baby cries when they aren’t even here :sweat_smile:

1 Like

My baby is almost 6 years old I seriously was so worried over this for years every time I tried to take a shower or do anything I felt so terrible thinking I could hear her cry and most of the time she was okay it’s just a weird thing Moms get but don’t worry you’re not going crazy! Even if the baby cries for a couple of minutes while you make a bottle or use the bathroom it’s okay! I had so many people try to tell me this but I had crazy Mom guilt 24/7 I felt like I couldn’t do anything or leave her alone for one second! It gets easier!

Oh my god this never stops. Mine are 4 and 5 and I still hear this!

All good, get some sleep sweetie :heart:

Yup totally normal. It happens to every mom. I still think I hear a baby crying n my son just turnt 13 on Saturday lol.

1 Like

Nah it’s phantom cries, plenty of moms get it and it’ll stay for a couple of years

1 Like

I used to hear mine crying every time I took a shower, just to run out of the shower to check and nothing.

1 Like

Completely normal. My daughter is tube fed and I always think I can hear her pump beeping 24/7 when in fact it’s not :sleeping::rofl:

1 Like