Is it normal that my 8 year old started her period?

My daughter’s friend got it in 3rd grade I forgot that age but she was what like 8 or 9

I started mine at 13 and my daughters doctor told me to count back 5 years and shell get hers at that age :pensive:

I was 9 when i started min3

My mom was 18 and I was 10 :grimacing:

I had 4 daughter all started different ages one was 9 one was 11 one was 13 one was 14. They are all now 20 to 30 and when my daughter told her doctor when she was being put on birth control at 17 she had started when she was 9 he asked if she was put on hormone therapy at that age. When she told him no he acted shocked!! She is now 26 so not sure if times have changed

It comes when it comes. Its according to growth of the body. Got nothing to do with age

Yes it is normal. My doctor told me girls are starting earlier these days. Make sure she eats spinach to keep from getting low iron. I know it’s tough as a mom seeing them have to deal with grown up stuff so young. Just educate her about what’s happening to her and tell her all her friend will be having to deal with the same thing so she knows it’s normal. It’s tough at first but they adjust very well.

It can range from 8 or so to any time in their teens. I was 11 but I have cousins that were 8 or 9

I would say do not stress about it or make her feel stressed about it ( as I am sure you’re not obviously) every body is different. Make a drs appointment of course for the next course of action… comfort is what you can bring to the situation

My youngest sister got hers super early too. I used to say it was the hormones in meat… litterally still not convinced otherwise

I got mine at 10 and my youngest is 9 and just started hers in May :weary::weary::weary:

It happens. Keep her informed. Find a female doctor for her.

Kids are starting all that younger now it’s perfectly normal now to get your period as young as that

The age ranges love, I was the same age and some young ladies don’t get it until they are well into their teen! It’s perfectly normal!!! Just let her know what she needs to do as a young lady when it comes to that time of the month and keeping up her hygiene. Also at this time, she is not going to have regular period, however, it will begin to regulate itself monthly of course!

1 Like

I was 10 when I started mine and my best friend is school started around the same time… we were the only two in our class…

1 Like

I started my periods at 8, but started puberty at 6. Not going to lie, it was hell.

1 Like

My sister was 9. I was 11. 8 is very young but it’s very possible.

I was nine when I started. It’s always best to talk to your doctor anyway, starting at a young age did end up causing me some hormonal imbalances.

1 Like

I personally feel like 8 is too young. They made puberty blockers for that reason, so I would get a doctor’s opinion on it.

my sister as well as someone else i know started as soon as they turned 9. so it’s definitely something that can happen. but it doesn’t hurt to speak with her doctor to get a little idea of if this is necessarily a problem or not. i know my mom as well as the other girls mom were told it’s definitely normal and some girls just start younger. especially when they’ve already showed signs they’ve started puberty. good luck mama :pray:t3::two_hearts:

1 Like

I started mine at 9.

My niece got hers pretty early too. For some reason girls are getting it sooner now. I got mine at 13.
My older sister at 17.

My daughter just turned 9 and I finally tried to talk to her about this due to hearing about many girls starting early like this but she already knew about this stuff due to YouTube :unamused: but I’m at least glad she’s aware

I got mine at 8 years old! It is definitely normal but with her being so young I doubt a gyno would see her but definitely take her to her pediatrician and tell them that she did start! Talk to her as much as possible and let her know that there is no reason to be embarrassed (at that age I was scared for some reason to tell and talk to my mom about it) and that this time of month she needs to be very hygienic. Make her a “period box” have flushable wipes, panty liners, and pads! Good luck momma!

1 Like

If she has pubes, then shes already going through puberty and her cycle would absolutely be the next stage. My oldest started at 11 and my youngest started at 10. Let her pediatrician know and show your daughter how to use and dispose of pads properly and make sure shes changing it out regularly so she doesn’t have to worry abt infections or anything.

My mom and sister started at 9 but I didn’t until I was 13 so it can happen any time! Its ok

I was 13 when I got my period but my younger sister got hers when she was 9…she got hers 2 years before me, she also got all the boobs :thinking:

I was 9. It was so scary for me

Body growth differs for everyone

1 Like

It’s not unheard of, just help her through this and take her to see her doc.

I got mine on my literal 10th bday. If you’re concerned though, contact an obgyn. Although, I think because we’re all different it could be normal for her.

2 Likes

I was 7!
Take her to a female nurse obs gyno someone to talk to her about exactly what is going on and how she needs to handle herself.
I feel for this poor little girl it’s horrible to have them so young

2 Likes

I got mine when I was 9 :woman_shrugging: my friend didn’t get hers til she was 12, her little sister got hers at 10, a family friends daughter started at 8, and my mom also 10, everyone starts at different ages

2 Likes

I started mine when I was 8, at school and literally thought I was dying. I would talk to her about periods and maybe make her a basket with some pads, maybe some tylenol or advil, a few snacks, a hot water bottle, etc - anything that makes your period easier. I would say that it’s normal. My sister didn’t start until she was 14-15. Everybody is different. Like somebody commented above, I feel like girls are starting younger now as well.

3 Likes

I was 8 and my now 8 year old is getting zits and boobs so not long for her…

1 Like

My granddaughter is 9 and has hers as well. According to my mom and sisters I got my first period when I was 3 days old. I was admitted to Red Cross Hospital. I had it once and not again until I was 9.

1 Like

Its the hormones in our foods that are causing girls to.start puberty earlier

9 Likes

I got mine at 9 and was super scared… and my daughter same… just developing quicker thats it… good luck to her…

Hormone packed foods nowadays don’t help

4 Likes

No she doesn’t need a doctor

Honestly 8-10 is more normal than 12-13 in my experience :joy:
She’s too young for pelvic exams so no need for a gynecologist or special appointment to address it just yet, just inform her doctor of the new development

3 Likes

My daughter started wen was 7 she had tests and scans at the hosp to check everything was okey with her ovaries as sometimes it can be other things like a pollyop ect so its def a good idea to speak to doctor as they may like the hosp to check her over i also informed her teachers so they could let her go toilet if needed during lessons and coz of her age they didnt have any bins for toiletries in the toilets so they provided that and taught her how to dispose it all in the right way and they also kept spare pads in school for her just in case i also brought her some books and chatted with her to help her understand what was happening and hygiene ect she found the hormone side of things hard with being so young so i made sure i kept her periods on a calander so i could keep track and be more understanding if she was moodier or emotional oh and chocolate she always liked wen was on her period they started of really light and eventully went heavier in time and they wernt regular to start with but yeh i would inform her doctor and school so they can also support her and u if need be my dauggter is now 14 and very mature for her age i feel she didnt get to be a child for long as obs her periods made her mature alot earlier we hav a great relationship where she is very open with me so i guess it kind of brouggt us closer i would just be very open with her and keep supporting her and to help her understand whats happening as it can be scary for them being so young my daughter has african heratiage so they said its quote normal for her heratgae to start younger then most thays what the hospital consultant said its quite shocking wen they start that young i was, 13 so quite abit of an age difference its difficult for any girl wen they start but with being so young prob jist that bit more best of luck with everything

My great niece was nine and I was kind of shocked because to me that seems so young. I was 11. I think honestly it’s all the hormones in food

1 Like

9-12 is prime puberty age to start. But can start later. And males usually start 2 years later then girls. Puberty starts in a order of breasts, then period, and secondary characteristics like public hair. I would say it’s pretty normal as a start age, but you can always check with the doctor if that makes you feel safer. :slightly_smiling_face: I’m sure they could do education teaching to her if she is worried about starting early and knowing it’s a normal process.

I started mine around 10 years old out of town at a church convention for the week. Of course the whole family knew before we went back to the hotel that night

My daughter is almost 7 and I think I will have to have this talk with her sooner than I thought after reading all this! :flushed:

My daughter started her period a month after she turned 10.

My daughter started young, too. Her pediatrician said 8-10 is normal now days.

Everything is so full of hormones kids start much earlier than they used to in previous years, I started when I was 12 but have older family members than never did until 16-18 years old so its an ongoing change it seems
On top of that, you said your oldest recently started hers, and if you also have a monthly cycle you guys could be syncing and now her body thinks it’s time too
I wouldn’t be worried, but follow up with her doctor any time you feel unsure. And most importantly try to be comforting to her adjusting to this, its confusing for some kids. I remember yelling and crying to my mom to “take it back because I don’t want it yet” and it took me YEARS to be comfortable with my own period

Well i have a 9 year old an im mortified thanks y’all :pensive::pensive:

1 Like

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Is it normal that my 8 year old started her period? - Mamas Uncut

I’ve heard that girls are starting aloootttt earlier now with all the hormones in dairy now :disappointed:

2 Likes

I was 9, so it’s in the realm of possibility.

1 Like

I was 10. My mom and sisters were 9.

I started at 9 its completely normal. I would still go get her an appointment to get checked out at gynecologist.

Girls can get it as young as 5. It’s quite possible that she has her period but, I would take he to the Drs. For a check up to make sure she doesn’t have a cut or anything.

1 Like

My oldest was 9 when she started

My daughter just got hers a few months ago at 10 and I got mine at the same age. I knew hers was coming. We didn’t go to the doctor bc at our last visit she said expect it soon, she’s in the late stages of puberty.

Definitely possible. I was 9.

Yep! I was 9. My cousin was 8. It sucks but it can happen.

Yes I believe it is normal.
I started with I was 10. But I heard with all the hormones and preservatives in our foods now a days it’s making girls start younger and younger

I got my first period at 10 but knew some girls who started at 9 so definitely possible considering she’s about to turn 9

Our oldest started at 11, our second oldest started just before turning 16. I started at 12.

My mom was 9, I was 12. 8 is a little young as the youngest I’ve heard being common is 9. Definitely discuss with pediatrician before you make yourself worry for nothing dear :heart:

My daughter got hers after her 10th birthday

My niece started at 9yo

I was 9. But, i also found out i had endometriosis. 47 now.

My grams was 9 when she got hers my mom didn’t get her until she was 15, I got mine at 11, and my baby sister(almost 16years younger than me) got hers at 10.

yep! i was 8 or 9 when i started! 4th grade, how magical.

1 Like

No. It’s called precocious puberty. Take her to the doctor.

Me over here being 17 when I started hoping and praying the same for my daughter :joy::sob:

1 Like

Super normal. My daughter turned 8 in March and has been seeing a pediatric endocrinologist for years bc she showed puberty signs much sooner than most. He said it’s super normal to expect her to have it soon. He said rule of them, whenever they get actual breast tissue not fatty tissue, give or take two to four months is when they get their cycle. I was about her age as well. She also has full pubic hair, arm pit hair, acne and so forth.

I was 10 , then started having ovarian problems at 11 or 12

I got mine when I was 9 and so did a couple of my nieces.

Yes, it does happen that early some times

I was 12 but my sister was 7 or 8 from memory.
It happens :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I didnt start until 14, but my mom started at 9…its not unheard of!

This is perfectly normal, everyone is different. Her hormones have produced just a little sooner than some. It may be a bit more confusing for her depending on her mentality at a younger age, and for you as Mom as well, with her being younger. But it is perfectly normal.

Yes, it is normal for them to start that young. I was 11 when I started mine and my oldest daughter was 11 when she started hers. My 9 year is going through the changes but hasn’t started her cycles yet. Lord, help me when she does because she’s already got the mood swings now

I was 9 when I started. My daughter is 9 today and has pubic hair and wears a sports bra. We had the talk but no period yet. But we are prepared!

Take her to the doctor just in case regardless of anything anyone says

I was 9 when I got mine!

My daughter is 10 and just got hers! I think every child is different so I wouldn’t worry too much

I was 8 when I started. I don’t think it’s common but no need for concern.

My mom was 8 when she got hers.

Thank goodness none on my daughter’s started this early, but I have nieces and cousins that started that young

Everyone starts at a different age. I was 11. It’s a little less common to start that early, but is does happen.

My daughter turned 9 in February just gone and she started in October…

I work in an elementary school that has pre-k to 3rd grade. I really didn’t think girls that young got them so early, but they do! There is quite a few 8-9 year olds that have started and I was really shocked. I was 12 with mine.

This EXACT same thing happened to my girls. My oldest is 11yrs old she Started in September my baby turned 9 in December and started her period in January…

I was 10 when I started mine. Totally normal.

1 Like

My mom started at 8. I started at 9, and bled every day until I was 12…no joke. PCOS from the start.

1 Like

I was 10. If you are wanting to put your worries to rest tho I would take her still :slightly_smiling_face:

I was 8 when I got mine

I was 8 when I got mine.

My kid got hers before she turned 9

1 Like

Aoparently it is becoming more and more normal. You should call her doctor and see when they will want to see her next after learning started period. Remember the date you first saw bleeding. That is first period. They chart it. My pediatrician told me they can bleed and go months without bleeding again while their cycle adjusts. That too would be normal.

2 Likes

I was 8 or 9 when I started mine, it’s normal i promise

This is something you should be asking her doctor. Not people on the internet.

10 Likes

I was in third grade and my sisters were in 6th an and 7th at the time and had only just got theirs. Im thinking we synched and it just brought mine on early

1 Like