Is it okay to drink tea while pregnant?

So I have a question. I know in most pregnancies, Drs say you can’t have caffeine. Well, I’m already a week away from my due date. A few weeks ago. I had started drinking tea. Not black tea. Herb teas. Like Passion tea. Green tea. Did anyone had any complications. I just want to know if tea is ok to have as long as it’s caffeine-free, of course. But I have green tea once a day, maybe once a week. And the only tea I drink at night is my chamomile. To help me relax my muscles for labor.

45 Likes

Tea is good, like the other people say, 200mg of caffeine a day is the limit but red raspberry leaf tea can trigger labour I think

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Is it okay to drink tea while pregnant? - Mamas Uncut

Yes, its fine… I drank tea during my pregnancies

3 Likes

I drank lots of tea with my 3. :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Girl I drank a pepsi a day. Everything in moderation.

5 Likes

I drink tea and coffee just I moderation is fine . :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Its totally fine but in moderation

1 Like

Tea is fine; doctors didn’t even say to avoid caffeine while I was pregnant, but I did anyway.

The best place to ask is your DOCTOR!
However with that being said my opinion is tea shouldn’t give any complications but like Facebook probably is not the best place for medical advice.

1 Like

Yes tea is fine!! :slight_smile: my obgyn actually mentioned to me when I was pregnant to drink tea. No joke.

Some herbal teas are not good to drink while pregnant so definitely research each one before you have it. As for caffeine, you’re allowed to have 200 mg a day I think it is.

2 Likes

I drank a 20 oz coffee from the gas station every day of my pregnancy with my last. The doctors said it was fine and she was born healthy and happy.

1 Like

I drank Dr Pepper like it was going out of style while I was pregnant.

4 Likes

I’ve had 4 babies and was never told I couldn’t have caffeine. I was told to limit it to 4 caffeinated beverages a day :grimacing: that’s 8 oz size.

I believe you can have up to 200 mg of caffeine per day during pregnancy. I don’t think it’ll be an issue at all. I would drink tea, soda, even a bit of coffee while pregnant, just be mindful of how much caffeine you’ve had during the day. And if decaffeinated is an option get that instead.

4 Likes

You can have up to 200mg of caffeine a day. There’s certain teas that can put you in to labour I believe though so just research what teas you shouldn’t have.

3 Likes

It’s fine lol I drank soda with my older ones, with my last girl I only drank caffeine free soda and with my last zero soda at all, but I did drink tea. I wasn’t even aware there was caffeine in there :joy:

I drink and eat everything during pregnancy and breastfeeding, never any issues.

I had 3-4 cups of coffee while pregnant. My super healthy kid hates coffee now :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

200mg of caffeine a day is harmless. I gave up everything else I was supposed to. No way I was gonna make it through without a little caffeine.

2 Likes

Research the tea your drinking, Raspberry tea can bring on labor…

I drank tea and coffee with all 3 of my pregnancies

1 Like

I had tea daily. Baby wasn’t a fan of coffee taste. But I loved my black tea. But as always, just ask your doctor.

Girl, drink your tea. You are fine.

By the end of my pregnancy, my Obgyn actually told me to drink one glass (4oz) of wine because of stress. I didnt drink anything, but im sure tea won’t hurt.

You’re good. Enjoy your tea.

Green tea can keep the baby from getting folic acid.

I’ve heard it depends on the tea. And if you drink it in moderation then it should be fine. I drank a small cup of coffee or tea towards the end of my pregnancy and it was fine.

A drank coke and Pepsi my entire pregnancy with all 3 of my pregnancies and had no complications

I have 8 children, and I was never advised to stop drinking caffeine ever. I still drank it normally whether I had tea soda or coffee. Now I’m wondering :rofl::rofl::rofl: is that why they are all so hyper active?!?! Other than that they all are super healthy kiddos!

1 Like

I drank small amounts of sweet tea and coffee through both of mine and had no troubles.

You are actually allowed I have 1 caffeine drink a day. This means a coffee… absolutely no energy drinks or anything like that.
Tea is ok if you limit it to 1 a day. I was told to avoid herbal tea unless it was something like blueberry, or green tea.

I was told limited caffeine. So I cut back, but not completely out. Tea is fine while pregnant.

I point blank asked my doctor with our second baby this time if I had to give up my Dr. Pepper. Anyone who knows me knows Dr. Pepper is in my veins. She told me I didn’t have to give it up.

I drink at least 3 cups of black tea every day from the time I was like 10…. I have had 2 healthy pregnancies….
You are allowed up to 300mg of caffeine a day while pregnant. Black tea has about 35mg of caffeine

Please don’t get medical advice from strangers on the internet

Green tea actually has a lot of caffeine

I drank tea constantly they all 6 of my pregnancies & all my babies were fine , I love my cuppa tea & I drank alot of it

1 Like

You can have caffeine your whole pregnancy. You deprived yourself girl.

1 Like

I drank peppermint tea throughout my pregnancy to help with nausea. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

At the end of my cousins pregnancies red raspberry tea brought on her contractions! lol

1 Like

One 8 oz cup can be up to 50 mg of caffeine

You will be fine.even one small glass a day of coffee is ok

2 Likes

I drank caffeine all through my pregnancies

4 Likes

Girl I drank caffeine the whole time I was pregnant. No effects on my baby.

8 Likes

Baby girl you are ok.

1 Like

Smoking and alcohol yes. Tea doesn’t seem to be an issue.

2 Likes

I’ve drank sweet tea my entire life, including during all the pregnancies. Nothing was EVER said to me by ANYONE that I shouldn’t drink tea or any other caffinated beverages. When I say I drink tea, I mean I drink tea. Like about half a gallon or more a day

3 Likes

I drank tea and cokes through all 4 pregnancies from start to finish and never one problem. Matter of fact my dr knew I did and never said one word about it.

1 Like

Caffeine is okay in moderation! You’re fine. You just shouldn’t over-do it is all. One cup a day is fine.

2 Likes

My Dr let me have one monster zero a day​:blush::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

You will be ok. Caffeine in high quantity can be harmful however even 1 to 2 cups of coffee a day is fine. Herbal tea is absolutely ok :slight_smile:

1 Like

Caffeine is fine in moderation I switched to peppermint tea when pregnant from day 1 all week and treated myself to a normal cup on a Saturday lol how sad

U r totally ok…no worries…

1 Like

Caffeine isn’t that big of a issue

1 Like

I’m on my third pregnancy and with every one I still have had coffee, tea and an occasional Dr. Pepper. As long as it’s in moderation you should be fine. Especially just with herbal tea. :heart:

You can definitely have caffeine. Just not a case of soda a day. It’s not that serious. I’ve drank soda through 3 pregnancies and iced coffee. I promise your baby will be perfect

1 Like

I drank dr pepper the whole time i was pregnant

I craved dr. Pepper something fierce with my 2nd one. Dr allowed me 1 a day.

Yep. It’s okay. I had coffee tea and sodas all through both my pregnancies!

2 Likes

You can have caffeine but it should be limited. Also my doctor told me for every ounce of soda/tea/coffee to drink 2x the amount of water. Baby will be perfect. Green tea is healthy. There are non caffeinated teas and coffees though. I know not fun right but I’ll drink those from time to time.

I had caffeine, I love coffee to much lol my OB okayed to have 8 oz of caffeine a day.

1 Like

Caffeine also majorly depends on your normal intake! When I was pregnant with my daughter I was 6+ cups of coffee a day drinker and maybe a soda or two (long job hours lol) and my doc told me up to 300mg of caffeine was perfectly fine for me. It mostly just makes baby very very active

1 Like

Oh honey, I’m 18 weeks with # 2 and both pregnancies have been fine and I’ve continued to drink coffee :woman_shrugging:t2: doc is totally okay with it and that way I don’t murder anyone :wink:

As long as you aren’t drinking 10 coffees a day you’ll be fine.

1 Like

I drank sodas and coffee almost everyday If not everyday with my pregnancies. It’s not that big of a deal.

I had a Dr pepper once a day with my first and all the time with my second. Both children are healthy! So drink your tea lol

You can have caffeine just don’t pass 250mg a day

1 Like

The reason they say little to no caffeine is because caffeine depletes iron which is very necessary for you and baby. Herbal and decaffeinated teas are fine.

My OB Said
one coffee and one soda a day was fine.

Most herbal teas are caffeine free

I drank 1 cup of coffee a day & drank caffeine free tea the rest of the day while I was pregnant. Everything was fine :slight_smile:

I had caffeine with all of my pregnancies, and had zero issues. You’ll be fine. Don’t sweat the small stuff.

1 Like

I drunk caffeine throw both pregnancies and my kids are fine… I don’t see why tea would be a big deal

1 Like

I love that you care so much. Even though I have not the answer. My sense tells me moderation would be the key. Congratulations on your new bundle of joy coming soon.

I drank so much soda while pregnant cause I craved it. Probably more than I should have but my girls are fine. Drinking some tea this late in your pregnancy is fine.

2 Likes

I drank tea and that’s basically all i drank my whole pregnancy

1 Like

Raspberry leaf tea was actually encouraged after 32 weeks as it was helpful so tea is a-ok. Good luck with the end of the pregnancy!!!

1 Like

You will be fine just watch what herbal teas you are drinking some herbs can be harmful.

Girl I drank Dr Peppers like candy your good :joy:

I didn’t drink any caffeine before I was pregnant and at 8 weeks was drinking coffee I the morning and a coke in the afternoon…my mom told me later the same happened to her :woman_facepalming: he’s 6 now with no issues other than his fashion sense sometimes :woman_shrugging:

I’m 20 weeks along and I have a small cup of coffee in the morning lol you have to drink a lot for it to be harmful

I was told after the first trimester it is okay to have 1 or 2 drinks woth caffeine a day.

Some people on here are saying 250 others on here are saying 300 … I think you should check with your doctor and find out what is the amount that’s ok for you

I vaguely remember something about not drinking tea with rose hips or hibiscus cause it can induce labor but then again a week away from due date I doubt it matters. Do your research or speak to your OB

I drink whatever I want, caffeine or not, and it’s fine. Doctor’s don’t know everything.

1 Like

I drink coffee daily once in the morning. Have every pregnancy

Congratulations on your pregnancy

I drank coffee and mountain dew with all of my 3 pregnancy and I was pregnant with twins mine were all fine!!
I needed the caffeine!!

I drinked all tea through all 3 pregnancy

I drink tea almost daily :joy::joy:

I drank coffee and/or tea everyday of my pregnancy. :woman_shrugging:t2:

It’s ok to have up to 200mg of caffeine a day.

You can have up to 3 cups of coffee a day, I would assume the same with caffeinated tea

I drank coffee every single day of my pregnancy and my daughter was fine .

I drank soda daily :rofl: your fine in moderation. Obviously more water than anything but some caffeine isn’t going to hurt

My oldest son is 19 and I drink Coca-Cola everyday all day like it was candy. He is healthy and the most calmest out of all of my children. Saying that my youngest is six and I limited my caffeine intake with her to one drink every other day. And this little girl is off the wall crazy.
Just try to drink a lot of water. That way you’re well hydrated.

Whatever your normal caffeine consumption level was before pregnancy, you’ll want to slowly decrease (or at least remain the same). Do not increase at all…even if it is below the 200mg. I regularly drank coffee and even espresso before bed. I was easily consuming 400-500mg daily. My doctor asked me to cut back, obviously, but I was allowed to do it very slowly. I dropped to 300 within a couple weeks, and stayed around 250 the entire pregnancy. My doctor was not concerned at all because of my tolerance. That level didn’t raise my blood pressure or heart rate. It didn’t affect my sleep. For most people, the recommendation is around 200mg, but if you never consume caffeine and then start while pregnant, even with just a little, it could have negative effects. Check with your doctor if you’re concerned. If you were normally drinking tea before pregnancy, it’s probably safe to continue.