Is it possible to be friends with your childs father?

My ex husband and I were together for almost 10 years. We ended up divorcing and dealing with child custody amicably. We switch off every 2 weeks. I live in central California and he southern California (6hour drive) we have managed to keep a happy life for our daughter and get along great. I’m actually going to san Diego today for his wedding with his new wife who is also pregnant with his little boy. I’ll be in tow with my boy friend and a bag full of baby clothes for the newest addition to our family. Our children get the luxury of getting bonus parents.

im best friends with my daughters dad…im remarried and we all no thanks giving…christmas and birthdays together

I have had to work very hard for it to work as friends with my oldest sons father. He just got married and now we are back to square one :frowning:

It can definitely be done. my step mom and my mom became friends. My dad and step mom always included my mom (and later on step dad) at every holiday Christmas, thanksgiving, birthdays, Easter, 4th of July, cookouts etc.

I’m not necessarily friends with my ex-husband, but we are able to co-parent. I think that’s more important than anything.

Absolutely. I left my sons father when he was 3. Att he time, I didn’t drive and he drove me to and from work. My son is now 13 and we have kept everything between us and haven’t had to get the courts involved. I married my husband 6 years ago and my ex was at our wedding.

My friend is actually best friends with her daughters father.
Its all about coming to a mutual agreement, focus on the child, dont put yalls problems before your son

I agree with Kymberly Gensman💯. I also have to say keep the parenting just btwn u 2 whoever u 2 end up with they aren’t part of the parenting. My daughter’s father married Catherine n I am with Danny. Dante and I agreed that neither Catherine nor Danny are making decisions about for our daughter Ani. Ani is now 16 and with those 2 rules everything has moved smoothly. So what I am saying… don’t talk bad about each other in front of ur kid, open communication between the 2 of you and keep parenting between u 2(if u are joint parenting) lastly good luck. Over the years him and I have stayed friends. I have even stayed friends with Erica (his other babies mom)…

Yes! I’m friends with my ex. My husband has a tough time with it at times, which is understandable. But, its possible.

My ex and I are very good friends. We have been divorced for 10 years and have 3 children 21, 15 & 14. We have had our struggles but we have made it work for our kids.

It is possible. The best way really for the child. My ex and I were not on good terms when I booted him. But I knew the importance of good co parenting. So me him and his current wife sat down and I laid some things straight and put my expectations out there. He and I still dont see eye to eye but we are cordial to each other and his wife and I co parent better than he and i do since she and I are on the same page.

Yes as last ng as you can be happy for each other success and not have jealousy when a new partner comes along it can be done!!

Yes, you both have to want it and it takes work everyday. But it is so worth it to the kids eyes light up when you both are at events… DO IT!!!

I am friends with my sons father. I look at it this way. We can still be friends we just cant be married to each other. I was friends with him way before we was married

For sure. I’m friends with my kids dad. I don’t love him, and i can only be around him in small doses. But we can chat for a long time

My daughter’s father and I were friends before we had her and after we broke up. She is now 27 and we are still very cordial towards one another. It can work

Yes we had to go to court for custody and everything and now raise our kids as coparents… very possible… sometimes court is necessary though.

My kids dad and I are best friends we talk about everything and tell each other everything.24 are in this together for the kids. His gf and my bf were all at the kids bday party.

I am not friends with my sons father, but we are able to be around each other and do outings together with my son. It isn’t my favorite thing in the world to do, as he he can be a jackass, but for the sake of our son we are civil to each other. As much as I am mad at him for our past I consider myself to be very lucky that we are both mature enough to put our feelings of dislike aside. He has also was very cooperative during our divorce. He didn’t fight me for full custody, as he knew it is our sons best interests to live with me. He trusts all my decisions regarding our son and I’m so thankful for that. But yet I would say it is most certainly possible if both parents make a good effort.

Possibly until he remarries. After a rough year post divorce, my ex husband and I started to form a friendship that was much better than any relationship we ever had. It would have never turned romantic…there was a reason why we split up. I always said we’d make better friends than marriage partners. But then he got married and moved in with his wife…at that point we couldn’t really be friends anymore. His wife didn’t allow for that and gave him a hard time for it, according to him. It was a different kind of hurt than our divorce. But I understood. I think she was always afraid we’d get back together because we had history. Nothing I could ever have said would have made a difference and so I had to accept that we’d always just have a distant but cordial relationship. That was several years ago now. Sometimes when it’s just me and him sitting together at my sons games, some of that old friendship slips through though and I find myself wishing we could be friends again.

Yes. My sons father and I are. Just be kind to each other.

It is possible. You both have to be willing to be mature about the situation and both be willing to put in the work. And not let each other’s I’ll feelings towards one another get in the way and remember it’s about the child not you guys

It can be done if adults in the situation are mature enough to know the child is what is the most important.

My kids dad and I are very close we celebrate the holidays our birthdays and a lot of Saturday’s so it works for us

My ex husband lives with me and my husband. We take care of him. He had a triple bypass 2 years ago and has been with us ever since he was released from the hospital

My ex an I had a very bad break up. It was worse then the relationship itself. It has been 3 years and we are finally on good terms and co parenting. Personally I think it depends on the parties themselves. We each had a lot we had to work through before we were able to move forward.

Its super hard. He will have girlfriends around your child, you both will move on…the girlfriends will get jealous of you and you will be bitter that he’s bringing them around your child. Its tough, and unlikely that you will remain friends. Me and my daughters dad don’t communicate and hasnt for 11 years. I deal with his mom. I am married now and have been with my current husband for 10 years.

My parents split when I was 4. They were still good friends till the day my mom died.

My mom and dad broke up when I was like 2 they stayed friends even when they remarried till the end when my mom died my dad still took care of her funeral and resting place my mom passed when I was 17

So possible. I am not only friends with both my ex husband’s I work for one and let both live with me after during some moves they had.

Always put your child first. No matter how you feel about your ex, he’s still your child’s father. Don’t make him feel like he has to take sides. He will love you for it.

It’s a growing thing you both need to work with each other then fight against each other is best advice. Otherwise your child suffers. Best of luck.

My ex husband father of my 6 and 3 year old boys divorced in August 2018 I can’t get along with him at all I have tried but he makes me look like the bad guy and he acts like the victim he has lied to me so many times I can’t trust what he says he says he is clean from drugs but I can’t bring myself to believe it because he lied to my face saying he never touched meth but the whole 6 years we were together he was doing plus cheating on me I wish I had positive thoughts for you but sadly I don’t.

To this day and yes! My kids each have their own dads and step mommas. We all made it work. You have to get passed that hurt and nagging bitterness if any but it has to be mutual. :kissing_heart: you got this.

It is possible I’m doing it myself you just have to constantly remember that whatever problems you and your ex-partner have has nothing to do with your children involved they didn’t get to choose that you two cant live together they have nothing to do with your issues but they do still need a mother and they do still need a father and as responsible parents you have to work together to achieve that goal my son’s father comes and sees him every other weekend he doesn’t make a lot of money so I allow him to stay at the house on that weekend to visit our son because no matter what my feelings about him are he is my son’s father and my child needs him it gets very difficult at times but being away from his father is also difficult for my son so I try to to never stand in the way of him getting to spend time with his father and us doing family things together and to be honest we get along so much better now than we ever did living together

Yep my ex is currently staying with me as I’ve been unwell and we have the covid going on… we separated year’s ago… its totally possible x

My friend and her children’s father are very good coparents. She speaks very highly of him… They share custody… He’s a good father…

It is hard and it takes time but once you both get on the same page and both come to the understanding that being bitter to each other only makes it worse for your child(ren). Me and my daughters dad went threw court and everything you can think of but now that we have both grown and come to the understanding that the better we are to each other the better it is for OUR daughter and we actually have her birthday together (me, my step kids, my husband, her bio dad, his gf and her daughter ) every year for the last 3 years. We all go to the lake or swimming or whatever together. He invites us to things and we invite him to things because OUR daughter has been thriving so much having all of her family being able to be together. Just keep your head up and take it one day at a time and never lose your head.

Yes you can eventually…it’ll be 3 years next month since we separated and I’m happy to say that we can now talk without arguing

If the break up is still fresh I don’t recommend being his friend. It can be difficult. When talking just focus on ur child. My ex and I have a good relationship I just focus on our kids and nothing else. I don’t ask questions if it doesn’t pertain to the kids. We haven’t argued for over 2 years. It can be done :white_check_mark: we’re both in different relationships right now :slightly_smiling_face:

I am in a situation where we were getting along okay but now he has a new partner things have gone, well, very unfriendly on his behalf. I am trying but it seems to get worse. …

I get along with my baby daddy and we’ve been separate almost 30 yr life to short to be angry

You don’t have to be friends to be good parents. Just remember to put the kids best interests first above either of yours. And BOTH have to have that mindset.

My ex an I are extremely close still but our youngest has a disability so that in it self had to make our bond unbreakable … we just both had to realize the kids were more important than. Our egos once we came to that conclusion the rest was easy… I think it also depends how long u were together my marriage lasted 16 years

Yes it can work me and my ex-husband obtain the same attorney we split with no hard feelings and even after I’m going to say 35 years I could still call him at any time if I needed to talk to him about the kids or whatever yes it can be done but you got to keep the kids out of the mix you can’t put them in between you

We are not “friends” that wouldn’t be appropriate I wouldn’t think but we are amicable and have no issues with each other

Yes. When my ex-husband and I got divorced, we did not go through Friend of the Court. We agreed on visitation and we were with each other when we need to modify it. We did not even do child support through Friend of the Court. He agreed to a set amount a week and that gets deposited into a joint account that I use for him.

Honestly, it’s super hard. But if you focus on your child and raising your child over trying to control what each other is doing, it can be done. I can’t stand my ex and want to throat punch him. But I still invite him to do things with us. And he hangs out with us for a bit. He doesn’t have his own place so he likes to come over to see the kids. He’s always welcome. I requested no child support with 50/50 custody. It’s difficult but keep focused and you should be fine.

1 Like

Yes absolutely if you are both putting the children first.

It can be done my husband cheated years ago i never till this day talked bas about him to my kids we are friends for them we are friends fir our children

Yes it can. You may just get along better separated. But you both should try to make an effort to get along. It would be healthy for your son to see that.

I’m going to say yes. I am still married to my children’s father and he is my best friend

Stop worrying about the father. He is no longer your concern. The only one you need to worry about is your child… Never talk bad about other parent, if they want to be part of the child’s life. Allow it. Don’t keep the child from them. Be there for your child 100%. Be the best parent you can possibly be. It will work out!!

My hubby and his ex get along very well, their custody agreement is that they work out whatever’s best for them and the boys.

Friends, hell no lol but you can have a civil relationship with him and co parent. Me and the father of my child had issues with courts, CPS, cops, and disagreements but we are civil. I do whatever this best for my kid in mind only. The attitude you take is leave any pride out the door, if he wants to be there for your son let him but don’t let him step over you that’s why I say civil not overly nice, you don’t need to apologize for anything you do for your kid, and don’t let them feel guilty for getting child support if you do or asking something for your kid.

It depends on the Father… in my case my Kids Dad is a narcissist… the moment he felt he wasnt in control everything took a turn for the worse

It’s hard to remain friend’s after a separation, there are still a lot of feeling’s there. I would say that if you two are willing to remain friends and work on it, it is possible but you have to to think that with you two start dating other people those other people might not like you two being friends. I have no relationship with my ex and prefer it that way as I ignored a lot of red flags because of our kids

My biological father wasn’t a part of my life but my little sister’s father was involved in our lives long after he and my mom broke up. We love him very much and he is the person my brother and I call dad. Even though him and my mom’s relationship ended over 24 years ago she was always supportive of his spending time with us and they were supportive of eachother in pursuing their own goals and relationships. My family is very happy. My parents are much better friends than they ever were romantic pair. You don’t have to be in love to be loving parents. Just be civilized and supportive of one another.

Yes, totally possible. My ex and I do certain holiday traditions together but we both are single.

Me and an ex share 2 children it was really rocky after I left him but with time we eventually became better coparents wouldn’t go as far to say that were friends but it’s definitely better then it was

I just tolerate my ex for my son’s sake. I can’t stand him, his family, or his attachment (aka his girlfriend). I only talk to him when I absolutely have to.

The best thing you can do for your children is to not exclude everything they have come used to but it takes both sides to do this. You can’t force this onto your ex either.

It can be done. It’s a difficult road. Me and my ex have a 13 year old son. We moved to 3 different states together. He ended up moving to Michigan. I bid him well and farewell. I wasnt uprooting again. 3 weeks later he moves back. And we actually just went out and sat down for drinks just last night. I cant stand how he treated me while in a relationship however we still have a child to raise and it isnt about us. Its about our son. My view point is no matter how I treat his dad or his dad treats me, how I treat our son, or his dad treats him our son will either love both of us to death or hate us for how he was raised. But I can sleep peacefully knowing that I did whatever I could to help keep a healthy relationship with his dad.

Yes we actually share a home together 2 separate floors but still really good friends

It can be done, you have to push away any hate and selfishishness and just realize what is best for the child(Ren)

Totally possible. My sons dad is my neighbor and we co parent very well. :woman_shrugging:

My son’s father & I get along great… we don’t do child support… we split everything straight down the middle… school clothes & such… we are very good at coparenting…

When you put the kids first, yes it can be done. Not easy at first but it can happen. My daughter’s father came to my house yesterday and mowed my lawn and brought me breakfast. My daughter was at an overnighter and not even here. We had breakfast, did the yard work and he left.

ABSOLUTELY! It all has to do with boundaries, being polite and wanting to be done with hate hurt and resentment. I’m friends with both my ex’s—I have 2 children with the 1st one and 1 with the 2nd one. It’s called being mature adults. You don’t have to be BFFs (and you need to keep your personal business each to yourself) but it can work

(When I was still with my 2nd husband, all of us (me, the husband at the time, the ex and his fiancé and all the kids) went to Disney together—the kids were also happy about it)

I’ve seen it. They both respect each other and have a mutual understanding. I personally couldn’t do it because my ex is a bad influence and has yet to get his life together and a t like a grown up. But I could see it working if I was dealing with a real man.

Took time but my parents because friends and co parented me well

I am able to hangout and get along with my children’s dad

Yes you can. You need to put aside all the other stuff and do it for the sake of your child.

We get along better now that we’re apart than we did when we were together

It can it just takes time. My first husband and I were friends till they turned 18. My 2nd husband and I are still working it out.

I know plenty of women who co-parent wonderfully with their ex’s. It’s a matter of trust. You need to understand that he will be the parent when he has the kids and that he is in charge of the kids and respect that he wouldn’t do anything to harm your kids. Just like he trusts you. Have boundaries, but make sure he knows if he wants to see or call the kids he can. Communication is key! Don’t try to do it alone if you have someone there. If it’s something to do with your child big or small call or send a small txt. A lot of fathers fell left out when they find out a week later the missed something. It’s not just your job to include him, but it is a lot easier to co-parent peacefully. Especially for the kids !

Remember it’s not the next 18 years it’s forever, sooner or later there will be grandchildren and you will want to be involved.

My ex husband did 50/50 with our girls … Oldest is almost 30 and we are still friends

My aunt and uncle remain good friends today. Their children are all grown and adults.

Its super hard but my oldest us now 13 and her dad and i get along really great

You have to get along for the kids. Dont fight in front of the kids

It took my ex husband n I several years to be civil then we were great. We tried to work things out and they didn’t do I’m hoping that didn’t mess things up. So far he’s being a total D

Yes but it takes time and healing and both sides to be willing

My ex and I are friends most days (going on 8 months broken up). We have our fights still but manage the majority of the time.

My daughters dad is one of my best friends. It took time to get here but we did it. So can you!

My ex is one of my best friends. He has had a girlfriend since we separated. We all hang out together. We grill out every Sunday. Before covid we would all go bowling, mini golf, movies, etc. Me and his girlfriend were just planning a summer vacation together. We still argue at times but that’s ok. I can go to my house and he can go
To his :joy:

It can be done. I am not but have friends that have been successful with it

Also stay Civil with the father or mother fighting causes the children emotional problems .
Try to have the same rules at each house because childo learn to play one parent against the other

It’s absolutely possible. It just takes time. My sister’s ex husband and long time girlfriend come to all the cookouts and get togethers . We all love the girlfriend and the ex can still hang out with the guys. Some people think it’s weird, who cares? :woman_shrugging:

It can be done, but I wouldn’t expect it right away. A lot of things will probably be said/done that will take time to move past. But, it is much better for the kids when it happens. You will always be connected with them weddings, grand babies, etc. Pray a lot.

Yes, I am amicable with mine We have the clear understanding that we do not want relationships with each other romantically but we do want to coparent the best we can for the kids. We are free to be with who we want as long as it doesn’t take away from the kids.

I’m very good friends woth my ex husband. Took many years but we made it work for the benefit of our son. Eventually you stop being mad and maturity kicks in

It took me YEARS!!! But, I’m not so angry at him anymore. He’s still a pos but not worth the stress.

Yes. My ex husband and I split when my son was 3. He is 18 now and we co-parented the entire time with almost no issue.

Yes kind of, unless their new partner doesn’t want you to be.

It took a while but I’m cool af with 2 if mine. We can joke around and hang out with no problems. I pay my oldest sons dad to do my yard and I’ve even bought him food to est with us. It’s better than always arguing

As long as you both are putting your kid’s best interest first, yeeesss it can and will be done!

My ex and I can’t stand each other when it comes to our stuff, but we come together for our four kids and are able to co-parent. We do things together as a family when it comes to birthdays and big events like graduation.

Maybe friends is not in the cards, may be some wounds are too raw. Shoot of civility. Don’t go out of your way to be ugly or spiteful and give it time

It can…it does take some time. I chose the route of going thru the court because I wanted the peace of mind having a set schedule of things in writing. We ended up agreeing to things ourselves mostly and have that all lined out. Having the schedule and everything lined out removes the animosity from the picture allowing you to better coparent and be cordial and civil. It just takes some time and the mindset of letting go of hard feelings.