Is it weird people call their dogs kids?

I have 2 kids and a fur baby so technically I have 3 kids, I feed them all, bathe them, potty trained them, play with them, our dog does everything we pretty much do except talk :rofl:

3 Likes

I had my dogs before my daughter. I called them my fur babies but never my actual babies. I do think its weird to tell women with pets happy mother’s day. Animals are way easier than kids

1 Like

No not weird at all , all my children have grown up , and my dogs and birds are family as well , they get beds , and clothes to keep them warm …heck one of my birds rolls on her back in my arms and wants me to rock her and sing rock a by baby …her favourite thing to do , then when I’m finished she flattens herself down and wraps her wings around me for a hug and says love you . Fur , feathers, skin …who cares they are my babies

6 Likes

My dog has a bed fit for a king. He’s definitely spoiled. He’s part of our family, he’s loyal and he’s my kids protector. But it’s definitely harder to raise children over pets that’s a little absurd

Here’s a different perspective.
Imagine being pregnant with your 1st child. Imagine all those mommy hormones rushing through your body. Imagine all the planning and preparations that goes into preparing for your 1st child…
Now Imagine never bring that baby home… Imagine having to plan a funeral instead of a baby shower…
Now Imagine your fertility being taken away from you and never getting to have a baby of your own… now Imagine getting your very 1st puppy in the midst of all that grief… Maternal instinct have to go somewhere so they go to your dog, while not the same they’re still your baby… Not everyone’s life has a happy story.

Now just for a second imagine how less stressful your life would be if you stopped worrying about what other people call their dogs…

17 Likes

Here ya go Nicole Knipes spill your guts!:rofl::rofl:

Not that anyone owes anyone an explanation and people should mind their own business…I lost NINE babies before I had my girls. My first when I was 17 and I had my first living baby at 30… during that 13years, and 9 losses, I had so much lobe to give and the yearning for a baby to care for was unexplainable…so my dogs became my babies. It looked weird to the outside because they had wardrobes and special food bowls etc…but they helped grieve and gave me a way of channelling my grief. I didn’t hurt anyone and my dogs were spoilt rotten. So to answer your question…YES it’s weird that you find an aspect of someone else’s life, that has nothing to do with you, strange…

13 Likes

Gotta love fake “fan questions” made to trigger people to get comments and reactions :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

For the love of God…hope she never has an animal.
Love my pets with everything I have♥️

5 Likes

My dog is just as much work as my kids :joy:

3 Likes

But they ARE our kids. :joy:. I wouldn’t say parenting a dog is as hard as a real human kid tho. But they are a family member and like one of the kids. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::paw_prints:. They do need a bed. We got a stroller for our old dog so he could still enjoy walks but can’t walk as far as the younger one. They deserve so much love. And deserve all the things. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::paw_prints:

8 Likes

Not weird at all pets are family members and should be treated as such.

3 Likes

I have three children, a cat and a puppy… I call my fur babies my kids, and my puppy drives me crazy and reminds me of having a toddler all over again. If you don’t value dogs or pets in the same way that’s you, just mind your own!

I have kids and a dog…hes my 3rd and my kids know he’s the baby

Not weird at all. You have to much time on your hands.
Maybe find a hobby or even better volunteer.

My dogs have a trust fund in my will if I should pass before they do. My kiddo is set up too, so yeah they are just as important to me as she is. :woman_shrugging:. Too much? Maybe, but it’s my money :moneybag: :money_mouth_face:

3 Likes

I have 3 kids and a dog. My kids have everything. So does my dog. Sweaters, her own bed, and her own “diaper bag” for when we leave the house. Kids never slept in our bed but the dog does. We eat dinner together as a family. Do i think caring for my dog is anywhere near as hard as a human child? Hell no. My dog never makes messes inside, eats what i put down for her, never talks back, has never broken or ruined any of my belongings. She also behaves in public and doesn’t ask “are we there yet” every 10 minutes on road trips. Dogs are WAY easier than children.

1 Like

It’s not weird. It’s called empathy.

3 Likes

I think this question is kind of rude. Many people can’t have kids so they have dogs and those are their kids. How about you let them be instead of worrying about what they call their dogs or judging them for calling Thor pets their kids.

1 Like

And I guarantee my Labrador is better behaved than your crotch goblin

3 Likes

I call my dogs kids, I even have shirts and items that say Dog Mom!! My kids even buy them for me. I have four human kids too. Lol. :person_shrugging::person_shrugging: They’re my babies!!

as someone with both a dog and a child. I see many resemblances in the raising😂 they’re both my babies lol and sometimes i’m convinced my toddler is harder than my dog was as a puppy😂

6 Likes

I love my dog endlessly but you will never catch me sharing my ice cream cone with her or letting her lick my plate clean. Or specifically shopping for hundreds of dollars worth of silly clothing … a regular dog bed and veterinary care , love, companionship and loyalty, a fun place to run around and play, security and the things that matter are all a dog really needs.
Some people were raised , sadly with less than that, so for the people who are judging this saying how judgemental it is, saying some people can’t have kids, etc.
Try to understand the situation from the other direction if you want to have others understand yours. There’s nothing wrong with treating a dog like a child or good friend, but it’s not necessarily for everyone to be that in depth, to still be good pet owners.

3 Likes

Some ppl can’t have babies and this is the closest they get. :heart:

8 Likes

You must need to mind your own business. Does it affect you or your way of life? No. If it isn’t as much work taking care of a pet as ot is a child you’re not doing it right. My pets have their own room, their own couch and they go pretty much everywhere with me. It’s not weird, but what is weird is how concerned you are about it.

2 Likes

You’ve clearly never had dogs. I’m sad for you

2 Likes

No its not weird ( and I do not own animals)

Well let’s hope you never own a dog end of story. Tell us without telling us you don’t like dogs.

Some people can’t have kids so yea they spoil their pets. I have a son and I spoil our dog by buying her favorite treats getting her haircut got her own bed that she sleeps on in the living room floor if she’s not sleeping with my son in his room or with me in my room I also get her toys each time we go to the store too I also make her dog food from our leftovers too. But guess what when you get a pet they’re your family too regardless if they’re human or not and they’re a lifetime commitment just like a human child too. So if u got a problem with people like your sisters friend then move along u don’t have to talk to her u don’t have to be around her either if u don’t want to be cause nobody is forcing you to be. You’re a negative Nancy and it clearly shows. Also make sure you never get a pet either. They do require love and attention and healthcare just like us humans too

15 Likes

yes it is…ur not alone!

7 Likes

Imagine being this mad over other people loving their pets :joy::joy: get a life.

10 Likes

You can love your pets. You can love your pets A LOT! But when it all comes down to it you can leave your pet home alone in the house unsupervised or lock them in a crate while you are gone taking care of things. Yuh can’t do that with a baby. Sorry not sorry…
And I’ve had allllll the animals that I love to death!

2 Likes

No it’s not weird I do the same thing with my two cats and did my doggie when she was alive, they are my babies

You’re a weirdo for even written this :rofl: don’t get in yo feelings cause boy oh boy you don’t mess with dog owners :woman_shrugging: but FYI we don’t deserve dogs and their unconditional love they give :face_with_hand_over_mouth: they’re way more loving then humans :hugs:

8 Likes

My dog is my kids as well as my human kids. He gets Christmas presents, clothes, he’s family too us. Some people can’t have our choose not to have and treat their pets like we treat our kids

5 Likes

i hate this
ur animals are not like kids. nothing compared to them
so dont do it. :roll_eyes::unamused:
my oldest was.on llane with me whe. she was 2
and this lady infront of me made a comment wjen we were landed (not directly to me but loud enough so i could hear her) that her dog was better behaved them the baby behind her. erhm…excuse me??? my child. yes CHILD. is 2yrs old n never been on. a plane and was SCARED. do not compare ur dog to my kid lady. cause i guarantee they got nothing in common.
shoulda let her scream a lil louder that flight :unamused::roll_eyes:

and yes. i have a dog. and i love my dog. but i dont consider my dog my child.

8 Likes

Um do you have a dog? They are like babies. I have a puppy, I literally had no idea how much work it takes to keep a puppy/dog happy and alive. Just like a child, which I have 2 and one on the way. They need beds, toys, love, affection, fed, walked, etc. My dog loves his frickin bed. Lol. You’re tripping for real. Let people live.

12 Likes

Okay but children are definitely harder to raise than dogs :rofl::rofl::rofl: :woman_shrugging:t3: leave people aloooone!!! They wanna call themselves a dog “mom” then THEY CAN! Maybe they cannot have children of their own. Stop being so damn judgemental of everything everyone else does :roll_eyes::woman_facepalming:t3:

:rofl:Our dogs get treated better than a lot of kids do! They get food cooked for them, eat twice a day, allowed to sleep in our bed & go on vacation with us​:rofl:yeah they’re spoiled….just a tad​:rofl::rofl:

I don’t think it’s as hard as taking care of children, but I also don’t think it’s weird to think of them as your children. Why are you so bothered? Don’t you have more important things to be worried about…:roll_eyes:

4 Likes

As a parent to both dogs and human kids, I will destroy you of you even blink wrong at my dogs. They have a bed in every room in the house and mostly sleep with my kids. My human kids are very capable of doing stuff… But my dogs are innocent, and love unconditionally. Sorry for you, not strange at all… Dogs are part of a family, and should be treated as such.

33 Likes

Not only is it weird but it’s unhealthy. A dog is not a child and should not be treated like one. That’s why so many have behavioral issues from the lack of proper discipline and training. Its crazy to think its as hard as raising a child too.

But it’s ok to spoil them in their own way. Some dogs need sweaters when it’s cold and all dogs should have a bed to sleep in.

I have loved dogs since a very small child… but my own children and any person in my life will always come before any pet… if they were equal to a child than that should be an impossible choice… but its not. They are very important members of the family though just again, not a child

27 Likes

Does your sister’s friend not have children by choice or is it a struggle for her? For a lot of people, a fur baby as close as they can get at that time. And even if its not, just because one person can’t understand how a person could love an animal the way they would love another human doesn’t mean that the love doesn’t exist. Some people are more intensive in the care of their animal and it can feel like caring for another person.

8 Likes

They are like children in a lot of ways they need to be taught, they need to be fed healthy foods, need to have regular doctor visits, and need to be loved. If you dont think like this or arent prepared to devote this much time and attention don’t get a dog

7 Likes

Yes. Im constantly correcting my kids when they call my dog my son or their pets my grandkids. Ummm, no. Thats just not for me. :no_good_woman:t3:

4 Likes

I’m sorry. You are weird. Dogs are not “just dogs”. There is no such thing. They give unconditional love. They are often there for their humans when no one else is. When I was young, the animals of my life comforted me when my Dad died and no one else comforted me. A pony, dog, and 13 cats sensed my pain and were there for me when the humans couldn’t be bothered with me. I don’t care what anyone says, dogs sense what you feel, have feelings of their own, are self-aware, and are, to all intents and purposes, four-legged humans. They understand pain all too well. They need their own bed. Small ones with thin fur need sweaters, and maybe strollers to keep from getting stepped on when they’re out. Their medical costs are comparable to a humans and they suffer from some of the same maladies as a human. If you don’t think dogs have feelings or have needs, you haven’t spent enough time with them. I have friends who have let me down. My dogs never have. Through thick and thin, they have always been there for me. Non-judgmental and accepting, they are there. And when each one has passed, I have grieved as though I have lost a family member, because I have. They were family. Still not feeling it? You’re missing out.

18 Likes

I feel like the people who don’t have children can 1000% treat their dogs like little humans.
But people who have dogs & kids, and treat the dogs like they’re kids… that’s the story you’ll read headlined with “family dog attacks child with no previous history of biting”… ITS BECAUSE YOUR DOG FINALLY SNAPPED BROTHER :blush:

5 Likes

I built babies in my stomach from scratch and I LOVE my dog, but it’s not the same.

9 Likes

LMFAOOOOOOO my dogs behave better than most brats! :woman_shrugging:t3:

13 Likes

NOTHIN WORNG WITH TREATING YOUR DOG LIKE CHILDREN🥰 My dogs are all part of the family & treated like it by me & my kids. Yes they have their own bed & clothes. They’re smarter than you think, would protect you with their life & loyal more than most people. They have the same emotions we do. If you were a dog wouldn’t you want to be treated as someone’s child? They rely on us to take care of them, love on them♥️

9 Likes

I train dogs. I have my own company doing this. I meet people from all walks of life. There are people who can’t have kids who give that parental love to their pets. I call my dogs “kids” when I call them to me in the yard, they have their crates and their beds, and get the best of everything. I’m not one to judge what someone feels for their pet. Gods above and below know that my boy is what keeps me going on a daily basis. Strollers for dogs are a great tool if they’re used appropriately. I’m not typically a fan personally of clothing on dogs, but to each their own. And yes, caring for dogs properly is just as difficult as raising children.

In short, think it all you want, just don’t say it out loud because your opinion is only valuable to you, not anyone else.

11 Likes

Ewwwwwww imagine being this stuck up where this is an issue

4 Likes

My pets are my babies too. I have 2 legged babies and 4 legged babies.

4 Likes

My dogs are a huge part of my family and my daily life would not be the same without them. My boys adore them. Patton sleeps in bed with me and my husband and Addy sleeps wherever the boys are. I would not place them above my children, but I will treat them as a equal responsibility to love take care of and respect.
I would never judge anyone for treating an animal well.

1 Like

Nah you’re weird for thinking it’s weird. To your friend those ARE her babies. You raise them, feed them, bathe them, take them to the doctors when sick, cry when they get hurt and in turn they are loyal to you unconditionally. If you have ever raised a dog you would know just how difficult it really is. They can be just as much work as human babies; that’s coming from someone with a dog and two kids.

7 Likes

It’s not weird a all.

I have dogs, leopard geckos, fish and kids… they are all my babies. My fish and geckos see me as bringer of food but my dogs are loyal. They would protect my kids and myself with their lives. So yes, they get beds and treats and the $90 bag of food. To them we are their whole world. So they are a big part of mine

1 Like

Why does it matter? If she has no children maybe her dogs are like substitute babies to her and if they are who is that hurting? I have 6 kids i also have cats, dogs and other pets and to me they are all my babies, they all depend on me :woman_shrugging:. My mum has a dog that she treats like a child shes more spoilt than me and my sister ever were lol i think its sweet though and tbh when we are on the phone shes calling out for her dog to be quiet and asking whats in her mouth as much as im calling out to my children to quieten down and stop doing things, it is like she has a kid in the house lol. I think its weird asf that something that has nothing to do with you bothers you so much lol.

2 Likes

Animals are part of the family

2 Likes

I just feel bad for OP because they do not know what it feels like to love another being or be loved by another being the way dog owners and their fur babes love each other. When I lost my fur babe after 16 years of doing life together when all humans walked out on me I still mourn him like I have lost a human child and feel I will always until I see him again. I love him like I love my human children (whom also still consider him a sibling) and will always consider him a piece of me!

1 Like

Not the same as kids. People who don’t have kids can’t relate. You can’t leave your kid at home in a cage, but you can a pet. :woman_shrugging:t3: let them have their fun though.

4 Likes

As a mom to children and pets. I love all them but pets ain’t nothing like a child just saying. But if you get a pet it should be treated with love because it’s your fur child.

2 Likes

For 10 years I couldn’t have kids so we saved up for IVF. My doctor thought a dog can help me with my depression, anxiety, and PTSD. Guess what? My dog who’s is my baby saved my life.

2 Likes

They’re definitely not kids, but they hold a place in our heart, as family. They are “like” children, only in the sense of how we feed and clean up after them. We love them just as a loving family member. For so many of us, they are our protectors, our emotional support and our best friends. :heartbeat:

2 Likes

No lie: one time I was working on Mother’s Day and a fellow male coworker was expressing to the moms in the room to have a happy Mother’s Day and a female coworker got offended and said “well why didn’t you wish me a happy Mother’s Day” and he said “oh my apologies I didn’t know you had children” and she said “my dog is my child”. At which point he kindly said “I’m sorry but I can’t continue this conversation with you”.
She reported him to HR and he got written up for “being insensitive to a dog mom on Mother’s Day”

8 Likes

Yes! And a dog a person’s sister or brother. It drives crazy!

2 Likes

A dog is the only animal that loves you more than loves itself. A dog is a family member. If you do not agree than please don’t own one. I spoil my dog more than I have my kids. They don’t disappoint me. They love me back. You are very judgmental and should only concern with the way you are and not judge the people and how they treat their animals. There are more people treat their animals like their kids than not.

4 Likes

My dogs are like my kids to an extent. I totally understand why ppl treat their pets this way. And who tf are you to judge them? Mind your own business and worry about something more important

3 Likes

My cats are my babies why not mind your own business

1 Like

My child is my baby, my kitties are the babies not my babies.

1 Like

It’s very weird to be wondering that and make a post about it

1 Like

It’s not Ur business why does it hurt you so much. My cat is my world she is a huge part of our family and gets treated like that and I have kids Yes I do understand where u are coming but honestly it’s not hurting anyone

2 Likes

No it’s not weird. I was a momma to my 2 fur babies for 15 years. In all that time the longest I ever left them was a week when I went to NY. They were my babies. I went for years thinking I couldn’t have any kids. I went through 3 miscarriages. If you love your fur babies and take care of them the right way then they are like kids. You have to feed them, wash them take them together Dr. Have pet insurance. My babies passed year apart recently and it still is so heartbreaking. I wish you knew or could understand. :dog::yellow_heart:

6 Likes

It’s NOT weird at all they are living beings as a matter of fact dogs and cats are just like us humans, they are prescribed same medications as humans sometimes they have some of the same organs and blood vessels as us, oy thing is they walk on 4 legs lol, they can sense our feelings, and some people can’t have kids so that’s their kids…

4 Likes

I get that people treat or relate to them as their kids…… but when places have fur baby photo contests I always want to enter my child’s pic and be like “ well there my baby, it counts right”

My animals are my kids and my kid is my kid while I love my child more my animals are a similar level I will “keel” over them all

1 Like

Maybe that is the only thing they will connect with since they don’t’ have children.

You’re alone in this

2 Likes

Ummm my fur babies are my kids.

8 Likes

Mind the business that pays you. Although it may be annoying, her doing so doesn’t hurt you. Just let her live her life the way she sees fit. She simply could not want actual children or she may have infertility issues. No matter, just leave her be. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

I have been on a journey of self improvement and part of that was learning to not let others bother me and to not judge others. Part of that is if someone is enjoying something and it’s not hurting me, just be happy for them. Let them enjoy it, don’t judge, don’t let it get under your skin. You will feel much better. Let her enjoy her dog babies and don’t judge her. Just smile and move on. It’s not even your friend, it’s your sister’s friend.

1 Like

To each their own. As long as they are not directly negatively effecting you or hurting anyone else in the process then it shouldn’t matter. Love comes in many forms and saves peoples lives when at times they may not feel like going on. Let others love how they know how to or wish to. :heart:

2 Likes

Yes!!! I hate this. And the word pupper

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s weird however, caring for a dog Is NOT as hard as being a parent. That crap is annoying lol

5 Likes

Being an animal mom(3dogs and a cat) and a “mom” mom to a 3 year old…… if you don’t have any kids and you’re saying you’re a parent bc of an animal, suck my cock, literally. Human children are their own breed, dgaf about your airplane suit case ass dog. Period.
You’re a good person for rescuing an animal at best, not a parent :rofl:

Baby you clean there poop , animal you do the same , baby you feed him wen his hungry , Animals you do the same , baby needs toys to play , animals need need as well , you are wrong lady !!!

Yes, I also think it’s weird

Please don’t ever get a dog :woman_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

My fur babies heard what you said!

3 Likes

Definitely not weird. My big staffy girl was our first child before our two small humans appeared. And in my life I’ve had many fur and feather babies. Dogs, cats, birds and even rats when I was younger. That being said, my dog eats, poops and needs excercise and attention. Other than that pretty much does her own thing.

It’s not even close. Kids are way more difficult to raise than any pet. Kids need to be fed, clothed, educated, protected, socialised and under all of those headings are a thousand subcategories that need to be considered. Every day with a toddler is a rollercoaster of emotion.

4 Likes

Personally, I don’t think it’s weird and it is just as hard although for not as long

1 Like

Comedian Tom Segura said it best.

3 Likes

Ok. I have 4 kids and 2 dogs and it was hell when both were babies at the same time. Yes they have thier own beds. The dogs and the kids. They are my kids. Lol.

My animals are my 4 legged kids. I treat them no different. I believe just as much family as 2 legged kids are

I have children, grandchildren, and my fur kids! And yes I refer to them as my kids and I’m mom. And yes they can be as demanding as children. They need bathed, feed, vet checks, walks, etc. Mine have their own room, beds, even a tv , the noise calms them. If one decides it wants to sleep with us , then we make room. We love our 4 legged kids, if you don’t like dogs then my house ain’t the place to be.

1 Like

My fur babies are my kids.

Unpopular opinion for sure. I agree. But, meh.

You’re not alone. I’m sure some family/friends will see this. Please DO NOT EVEN try to come at me. The poster asked and I answered, period.
You CANNOT compare kids and pets.

3 Likes

The comparison part really gets me. It is weird. Pets can never take the place of actual kids. But that’s just my opinion.

5 Likes

So a woman let her dogs off their leash . So it came running towards me smelling my legs and so forth . I personally don’t like dogs . I told her to put her dog on a leash that she was holding so it won’t bother people and she said “do you put your child on a leash? “ I almost punched her . So OP I get what you mean . At least my child doesn’t go up to strangers , invading their space to sniff them :unamused:

7 Likes

I think it’s weird that you are so worried about it. What I call the non-human members of my family, and their sleeping arrangement is absolutely none of your concern.