Is it wrong for me to ask my childs grandma to stop taking so many pictures/videos?

Please leave her be… being a grandma is something truly special

11 Likes

I don’t think it’s okay for anyone to share pictures of a child without the parents’ permission. That being said, if the complaint about the pictures is you’re worried someone else missing out, it’s not a problem. Pick and choose the battles.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t complain about a grandparent actually wanting to share their joy like that. Your child is blessed

6 Likes

At least she is apart of there life some children don’t have grandparents to spoil them

5 Likes

Some day you will be glad she took those. And don’t you trust her judgment I can’t imagine her share picture’s of her pride and joy with someone shady or dangerous.

4 Likes

With all the pedophiles around I would curb her video/pictures too! She could post them innocently but they have ways of taking your pictures! Unless she’s NOT sharing them on social media I’d explain this to her. If she’s NOT sharing them with anyone but Grandpa/family then just relax and let her save the memories.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t ask her to stop taking them, I would unapologetically be telling, not asking her, to not share them with people I don’t know.

4 Likes

Honestly You sound very controlling. You should be glad she adores your babies and is proud of them.

3 Likes

It’s all we (grandmas)have when we can’t get out to see our grandkids due to illnesses or other situations-it gives me the greatest pleasure to have pics/memories for what time we have left​:relieved::purple_heart::blue_heart::green_heart::yellow_heart::sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

Too controlling, it’s her grandma and she adores her. She is lucky to have a grandma to fuss over her.

3 Likes

I wish my grandparents, and even my parents, took more pictures of my brothers and i growing up. I know its a lot easier with today’s technology to have access to a camera more often, but I have hardly any pictures of myself growing up. I barely have any pictures of me and parents together, or me and my brothers together.
If its making your daughter uncomfortable, then maybe I’d ask that she wait to take pictures. Like hanging out for 20 minutes and then she can take some pictures. But I wouldnt take that privilege away from a proud grandma!
Be thankful your child has grandparents that are involved and want to take pictures of them.

2 Likes

I do not take alot of pictures of my grandkids. But if my kids tell me not to share pictures I do take then I don’t. I don’t want to waste all of our time taking pictures. Just set some limits and only so many when she comes.

2 Likes

my dad passed away 2 days ago. i have many pictures of him but still wished i had more of him and my kids. don’t waste time on the small stuff, it will all be gone in the blink of an eye

3 Likes

I would love that…I wish I would have gotten more pictures when my children were younger…I have alot but I want more…They are grown now :sob:

1 Like

No those are precious memories and she is a proud Grandma. I would ask her to send them to me as well.

1 Like

My mom never took pics of my girls, I asked her if she wanted a school pic, she said “for what”. So, personally, I wish I had your problem

2 Likes

As a grandmother I take pictures of my grandsons but I NEVER share them not even on Facebook or anywhere unless my daughter is ok with it. They are my memories to have not to be shared with others.

1 Like

I agree with some of these other ladies. Let her have her pictures. Take pictures of them together. Take selfies with them. Have them framed. One day those pictures are all your little girl will have of her grandmother. As for her sharing the pictures with people you don’t know, I can see why that makes you uncomfortable. Set boundaries that she can only send them to family members.

1 Like

You should suggest at each visit taking a picture with her phone of the two of them together doing an activity, like reading a book or drawing. That way your daughter will have photos of her grandmother when she’s older. Instead of it just being photos of the child.

1 Like

You are not controlling at all…however I am the same way. I am 65 and I just want to have everything so I can look at it when I am not with them. As for her sharing with others…check with your husband and see if he is ok with it…he may know the people and is ok with it…and that might ease your mind.

1 Like

I’ve said that I didn’t want any pictures taken without permission. It’s your child, so I don’t think you’re being controlling.:woman_shrugging:t5: my bf has family i haven’t met, so thats partly my reasoning.

2 Likes

I could never tell my mom to stop taking pictures of her grandkids :grimacing:

2 Likes

When my sisters and I started having kids my mom looks at them like little extensions of us when we were babies and vise versa for my mother in law. I would never disrespect either grandparent after all if it wasn’t for her neither you or your husband (depending on grandparent) would have the family your creating. Honestly - Let them enjoy what they are reminiscing on. You or your husband childhood. Let them be! Your very fortunate they’re with you !

You pick her taking too many pictures of your child to have an issue with and there are children who will never know their dad let alone grandmother. My Nana and my mother can do what she wants with my kids because they are NANA and MA-MA. Neither one of my daughters know their fathers mothers. One due to death the other because her dad and his mother are pieces of :poop:. Be grateful hunny. Your baby is blessed

1 Like

Your kid, your rules. Talk to her Dad. Set boundaries.
I would not like it either

2 Likes

I think it’s a tad drastic. She adores her granddaughter. Ask her not to share the videos/photos, but keep in mind grandparents have a special place and bond in your child’s life. I wish my parents were here and my ex’s mom was here. They raised us grandchildren are the fruits of their labor!

You are being petty. Mentioning it is the paternal grandmother makes you even more petty.

2 Likes

No. It is a grandma thing and if this is the first or even the only grandchild, that makes it just a little more exciting. It will slow down.

1 Like

Mom writes thr rules for her children. Grandma had her time in the sun. As a grandmother, and great grandmother I obey the wishes of mom. If I do not like moms rules, I talk to her away from the children. Let mom see the rules and grandparents obey them.

If she taking photos for herself,I’d say it’s okay as long as she doesn’t share with others that you don’t know of and without your permission- it’s your kids ,not hers .

Other thing ,if your child doesn’t like to be pictured /feeling uncomfortable when they are pictured ,than they shouldn’t be - simple as that !

So many would be over the moon to have a MIL who is even involved in their children’s lives.
Teach your daughter that having them is a treasure and sharing your lives with them means the world to them

1 Like

As nana I respect my grandsons wishes. I also take a lot of pictures and videos however when they ask me to stop I respect their request. I understand taking pictures sometimes interferes with fun and interaction with them. So pictures are fun and create memories but remember your time and interaction are valuable also. Find a healthy balance

You and your daughter will be glad you have those some day especially if she’s in them too. I have almost nothing of either of my grandfathers

1 Like

Let her know not to be sharing it its not safe and she needs to respect that and if she cant then she needs to put the camera away. Its your child put your foot down.

I think you’re too controlling. Gosh, she’s a super proud grandma and is super in love with your baby!!!

1 Like

You have to remember Grandparents love their grandkids so much and will.protect them they not gonna share with total strangers and most only know how to take the photos not tech savvy like you

A Grandmothers love is just that I do the same because we dont get to see them as much as we would so when we do we want to capture it. Give her a pass. Some grandkids dont have that kind of love.

I lost my son 2/2/20 I’d give anything for one more video or picture. Count your blessings. They can be gone in a blink of an eye.

1 Like

Maybe ask to take the pictures so she cann be in them

2 Likes

What Grandmas do show off their Grands / when we post on Fb of our kids /are the photos secure . We dont but we post cause we live to show the world our precious gift.
Why take that away from Grandma / understandbly : not want photos share. Dont take her joy from taking pic

My grandma used to take 100s of pictures anytime any of us were with her. Now that she has been gone for almost a year I am so thankful for those memories I have with her. And I also find myself saying I need to take more pictures so my kids have them when I am gone.
Sorry but she is a proud grandma and there is nothing wrong with that IMO

I’d give her the benefit of doubt it is normal 4 relatives 2 take lots of pics and share, they usually only share with ppl they trust even if u don’t know them. I would trust her judgement. Grandparents show the kids pic with pride…don’t over think it. But if u are concerned about her sharing the pics with ppl u don’t know just have a word with her nicely I’m sure she will understand.
I understand your kid is not comfortable my kids are camera shy too so I end up taking trillion pics do I can get a couple of good ones from there :see_no_evil:
Maybe u take pics of them 2gether too I’m sure she would love it. Grandparents are a blessing

I can understand your feelings about her sending them to a bunch of random people. I wouldn’t stop her from.taking pictures/videos, but maybe she’ll understand about not sending them to every single person she knows.m

1 Like

I love taking pics of my grandson but I do ask his mom if she minds if I share those pics. That being said my grandma/momma she raised me loved taking pics of my kids and she passed 2 years ago in 2018 I got alot of those pics but I did give away some cause I had the same ones at my house already. I am a picture person my walls are covered with them.

You know I wasn’t a very big fan of pictures or videos until my mom passed away unexpectedly and now I would give anything to hear her voice and a look at pictures of her in happy times

Let gramma have her pics and videos. She’s not gonna be around forever so allow her to enjoy her granddaughter in this way. As for sending pics and videos to people…that’s something you should talk about with her if it makes you uncomfortable.

Try looking at it from another point of view and then maybe you will be able to appreciate her and realize the love behind it. If you cant enjoy showing off your family or taking pictures as forever memories then where is the true joy? I’d be preety bummed if my mom felt that way and my grandparents didnt do any of that. If it wasnt for them taking pictures throughout my childhood, I would have nothing to look back on now and I’m 26 thanking them for doing that.

I would allow grandma to take pictures. Just politly ask to have her not share them with others. I allow my daughters grandma ( my mom) to take pictures but i ask her to to share with others unless i know them personally. Its not selfish. Just dont take away her joy as a grandma to have her own pictures

Definitely needs to be balance and it’s clearly making your child uncomfortable. It also make you uncomfortable that you don’t know the people she is sending pics to.
It is your responsibility to speak up for your child.
“Please stop, it’s making daughter uncomfortable.”
“If you don’t stop we’re going to leave.”
“I asked you to stop and you haven’t listened, we’re leaving now.”

Grandparents take pictures and show off their grandbabies to all there friends and family. I don’t see anything wrong with it. Taking pictures doesn’t take away from bonding time. I mean she is right there bonding taken pics :joy: kinda sounds like you don’t like her. Why else complain about something that has been going on since I was a baby. Grandparents take pictures

Thats your child! If you don’t want her sharing photos of videos of your child with people you dont know or are uncomfortable with then you have every right to speak up and say something. You are your childs voice. Alot of people on here saying you are lucky to have grandma in her life but so what. Grandma needs to respect boundaries. Online photo sharing is so unsafe right now. Even if she sends it to someone in a message you dont know what that other persons intentions are. But i do agree on switching it around and offering to take photos of grandma and your child so grandma can have those memories and your child can have them as well.

You are 100% controlling. Be grateful she has a grandma and let grandma enjoy it

1 Like

My mom took so much more videos of my son than I ever did and now that hes 6 I really appreciate looking back at his baby years!

Let her be grandma and take pictures. Why don’t you take pictures of them together. I am 56 how I wish I had pictures taken with my grandmother. With all my grandparents.

Maybe cuz I’m older I don’t see things in the same light I lost my mom at age 17 and I don’t have one picture of my mom nobody knows what tomorrow holds if it makes older lady happy to take pictures of your daughter you should be proud I know everybody here is going to disagree with me and that fine

If it effects your child negatively in any ways believe it’s your job to minimize. Parenthood puts moms in weird situations but we just have to adapt and protect

1 Like

I personally think the mother in law/daughter in law line can be tricky. Daughters and mothers are pretty easy to communicate buts when there are sons involved it’s a little different. But my opinion is that you will surly reap what you sow. Your next child may very well be a son and he will grow up to have a wife and what goes around comes around.

You are right. She needs permission to post. She is missing out on Making memories.

1 Like

Yes I think your being Incredibly controlling as a mother of a boy if down the roadwhen he’s old enough to have a wife and kids and his wife told me I wasn’t allowed to take photos and videos of my grandkids I wouldn’t be reacting so nice to her I’m afraid. I had an amazing bond with my grandparents my son had a good bond with my mom before she passed and spends most weekends with my dad now and they were always taking pictures of him when he was younger. A camera will not stop them bonding and I think to risk the relationship with her because of photos seems like a petty thing to do in my opinion

I love that the grandma wants to capture so many memories! I wish my children had that!

One day when your children are older, you will be grateful for the memories.

Your child, your choice.
Maybe you could talk to her about not sharing the pictures with people you don’t know. Ask her to slow down on the picture taking. Tell her you would like to make memories and take pictures of her and her grandchild together? Find a way to compromise
As a grandmother, my feelings would be hurt, but I would get over it. I would try to stay away from you and my grandchild as much as possible. I don’t feel comfortable going where I’m not wanted.

I feel like first of all if it makes your baby uncomfortable she needs to give her that respect and the space to want her picture taken. Children have rights too…they are just tiny humans with feelings. As her mother you are her representative, you speak on her behalf when she can’t speak for herself. Also as her mother you have the right to stop anything that bothers your child…and her grandmother needs to accept that.

Why is it Grandparents do not abide by the parents wishes? Sending pictures and videos of a grandchild on social media against the parents approval is wrong. If the argument is “I want to remember everything”, then that argument is for the grandparent to watch the video, not share on social media. And, most importantly, if the grandchild is uncomfortable being videoed, grandma would have to check her phone at the door.

1 Like

Grandparents have always had photos of their grandkids. Back in the day they were framed around the house and a passport sized photo in their purse. My granny had a card wallet with all of her children and grandchildrens photos inside. (It was still in her bag when she passed away and a photo of me inside at around 6 years old). I also used to post a school photo or random photo shoots over to her.
It’s just a digital age now so sharing a photo is done differently. I never worried for a second who would see photos of my kids, I lived the other side of the world.
I’d maybe use her photography skills to get photos of you and your little one as mums are usually the ones behind the camera and they grow so fast.

I love taking pictures of my baby and so does my mom so i wouldnt tell her not to. You could kindly let her know that its taking away from her quality time with the baby. I wouldnt saying youre being controlling but i also dont think its fair to dictate her way of spending time with the baby. My mom posts pictures of my daughter and son all the time and all her friends, most ive never met, comment and react to them positively. Its not a bad thing to be photographed just let her know you feel it could be taking away the actual time she has with the child. If she doesnt think so it is what it is. The child doesnt live with her i assume and isnt just all day every day sitting in front of a camera so i think its fine.

Let her do it, but if it is truly distracting your daughter ask her to do it at the beginning of the visit so grandma and her can play…but honestly…you’re a little out there.

I’d talk to her about sharing pictures with people you don’t know and the fact that your daughter doesn’t like it a lot. Maybe even share.your concern that she’s missing out. But offer to take pictures of them together.

I have 5 grandkids I think I take more pictures of them than I did my own kid’s but then again we did not have the kind of technology we do now a days I also send them to my daughter

1 Like

Let her . Be glad she wants to be apart of their lives my daughters grandparents live 30 min away and only major holiday they visit us.

1 Like

I wish I could have spent time with my mother’s mom. I think she would have been awesome. I only have one picture of her… My youngest son died from car wreck injuries in May and now I literally have to beg to see my two grandsons. So I say let them take pics and bond anyway they can.

1 Like

My grandson and his wife
Do not want their children on social media. We respect that and only take pictures on birthdays and holidays. Every memory doesn’t have to be recorded. The heart records better than camera or video.

I’d let her be & if your daughter doesn’t like it She should be the one to talk to her about it. I feel that’s between them.

I think it’s not a big deal,when my mom visits us she always took photo of my kids and she also shares it in fb and develops some of it

1 Like

I feel you. My boy is an only child and so am I so he’s the only grandchild and my mom has the camera on him all the time :joy: I can’t say anything to her though. I have however asked her to stop with the constant FB posts. That’s just obnoxious :roll_eyes:

I take as many pics as i can. My kids dont mind. I dont have many from my grams and papa and i wish i did. One day you will be thankful u have them. My daughter gets me because i take in the moment pics. I dont make them pose for all of them.

The only thing I would really put my foot down on is sending it to people I don’t know, or don’t want in my kids life.

I was practically raised by my maternal grandma(aka nana), and it’s been 11 months since she passed away. My biggest regret with her passing is that I didn’t spend enough time with her before she passed, I actually gave my daughter the middle name Julienn for my nana. I wish she was here to take pictures of her great grandchild, but she spent an awful lot of my childhood taking pictures of us grandkids and now I’ve got a ton to look back on when I miss her

Grandma should be able to take lots of videos and pictures. Sending them to people who are strangers to your child is another matter. I think you should ask her to limit herself to sharing with family and friends who you trust. Accounts get hacked. You never know who might get access to those things.

I wish my sons grandmother was still alive. Hes 3 and she would adore him.

I think having the video/picture the entire time is weird… And she needs to stop sending pictures/videos to people you never met.

Yes you are being way too controlling

8 Likes

Life is too short. Let her take the pictures. One day that is all most of us will have… I wish I had more pictures…

Times now are different than when she was younger. She just doesn’t understand how easy it is for someone to get ahold of someone else’s pictures online

No! She should be spending TIME with her and definitely should not be posting pictures. Every once in awhile is one thing. You AND your husband should tell her the rules and why you feel that way. You don’t want your daughter to grow up being a selfie diva.

No. Not really. I have a big phobia of my kids being taken from me by a total stranger. Like…its a real fear. I even limit the number of photos that I share to my own social media. I’ve asked my family to do the same. I don’t care how many pictures they take…I just don’t wanna see my children’s faces all over the internet.

Nope. Not at all. Tell her spend some actual time with the child. And sending them to people you don’t know is a big nope from me! I ever find out and they will not be allowed to take pictures nor receive pictures.

I’m a Grandmother & I love to share my Grandkids photos & videos. If my kids ask me not to . Then I do not. The only thing I have been asked is to make sure on my fb that the videos & pictures are kept private for only friends & family on my fb. But that was more recently . Cause of some bs that happened. But those people were blocked.

I don’t like this either we have where pictures are taken and than printed and framed drives me insane and pisses me off!!! Also background pictures on phone… also are not the grandparent

Picture for own memory okay but no sharing you tell her you will take picture in future (so being nice with her together with granddaughter ) etc I like 1 a week would be nice then increase 2week etc

If it’s making your daughter uncomfortable then definitely say something. If her grandmother loves her as much as she says she does she will understand.

I don’t think your daughter is being harmed by having her picture taken, it’s not hurting her,it’s not causing her damage, or mental anguish🙄 it’s pictures she will be fine. And your mom isn’t doing anything wrong she a proud grandma suck it up and be happy she cares enough and is proud of her grand baby and wants to show her off, and make memories

My son does not have any living GP’s. Our mom’s died b4 he was born and our dads were much older and both recently passed away. We live 1500 miles from my sisters and we talk a lot on the phone and share pics. I was 41 when i had my son and he’s 12 now. When going to see my oldest sister (7 yrs older) my son called her grandma. She didn’t mind, but i felt bad about it. But she said he needed a grandma right then and she was glad to be there for him. I wish mom was here to take stupid amounts of pics of her grandson.:disappointed_relieved:

Let it go, its what a grandparent and parents do. I would prefer my parents and my ex’s parents to have the pictures and videos than to ask them to dial down and not share. She’s proud to have a grandchild.

If it makes you feel uncomfortable AND your child, then talk to her about it. It’s not okay, don’t listen to these people telling you “just be grateful”. It’s your child!

The taking of…eh let it roll off your back. But I would draw the line at sending pics and videos to people you don’t know without your permission.

i reckon your over reacting as long as she not naked whats the proble if she shows people you have never met she sounds like is proud of her granddaughter and heaven forbid if she ever passed awsy and you told her to stop taking photos you will not have any memories

Time to compromise. Allow only a few pictures or video at a time. Make sure she is spending time with the child and not just taking photos or video. If she still refuse to put the phone down, ask that she stop or she could leave. Your child still has that option for you to protect her/him from to much photo shot.

I think it’s ok to record memories, as long as it isn’t affecting your child- which you said it is. Hopefully you can refine your approach and ask her to engage her more and record the special memories. What I mean by refine your approach, is to maybe put it in a way she will better understand .

Yes you can. I don’t mind grandparents taking pics and videos but if it was making my child shy I’d maybe just mention to be more discreet even. But the sharing them with random people is not be ok with.

For the sake of my child, I certainly would! This isn’t love if it bothers her but she does it anyway.