Is it wrong for mom to want to vacation on her own?

I am wanting to take a vacation away from my kids and husband for just a weekend…i have been a mom for 10 years and need some sort of space just to recharge…my husband got mad when i mentioned this and told me i was being selfish to go out and do something fun while him and our child stay at home…am i wrong to want this?

118 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Is it wrong for mom to want to vacation on her own?

Not wrong . Your husband is being selfish

9 Likes

Reminds me of this… your within your rights to want to chill and have a break! :heart:

7 Likes

No you aren’t wrong. I would probably offer him his own weekend away though as that would be the fair thing to do. All parents deserve a break. Both your feelings are valid and can be solved with a simple compromise.

12 Likes

Absolutely not. It’s selfish of him wanting you to stay mentally/physically drained. He should be encouraging you to take time to yourself! I say go anyway, turn your phone off and take care of yourself💛
Parenting is hard and needing a break is completely normal. You shouldn’t be made to feel bad about it.

4 Likes

Absolutely not.
You deserve it.
And it makes you feel brand new

DO IT

1 Like

OMG girl!!! Go have your vacation!! Your husband is being selfish!!

I mean I’m on the fence, if it’s something you need to do then do it. I however could NEVER do that to my partner, knowing they probably need a break too.

8 Likes

Not wrong at all. I have gone back to our hometown a few weekends without my husband and kids. He’s being selfish or childish and probably doesn’t want to have to deal with the kids by himself for the weekend.

2 Likes

Every parent deserves alone time to recharge

3 Likes

Maybe he’s envious. Does he get a break? Maybe he needs time too? Idk. Not enough info given to say for sure

2 Likes

Does your husband take a weekend away from his family? What’s fair is fair! How would you feel with him gone? I realize weekends would be nice to spend alone! Talk about a short trip with a female friend…let your spouse have a hunting or fishing weekend with his best bud. Work this out but it is not worth causing a fuss over it.

6 Likes

Shit. I’m glad I’m not married then. JK. Kind of. I would just be like, “I’m taking a weekend away in the next 4 weeks. Which weekend works best for you? And after I get back we can plan your weekend away.” I don’t know. I’m independent and do what I want (within reason). I could never be with someone who doesn’t accept that.

I never did it but I know better now

Absolutely not. I’ve had 2 vacations in 9 years without hubby and the kids. Nothing wrong with needing that time and space to recharge. My hubby has started an annual weekend away with his mates and I think it’s great for him too

I’ve been planning one of my own

I love vacations away from the kids but never the husband … u must don’t like him no more

3 Likes

Do it! But he deserves a weekend away then too…

2 Likes

Why would your husband get mad when he would be having one on one time with his child :woman_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

Moms need mental breaks, too. Even if it’s only for a one day/night thing, it’s a break

1 Like

No you’re not wrong. Just be prepared for him to want to do the same. Both of you need a break

2 Likes

Nope, not at all, especially if he takes guy trips.

Absolutely not! I’m planning one in the fall! My fiancé was very supportive!! That’s a him issue!! Maybe having the kids for the whole weekend will make him appreciate you

1 Like

I get it. I’ve been wanting that, but my husband and I end up going together. We will take the kids to my parent’s house and we will get some time for us.

All moms need to mentally reset. We would be selfish if we didn’t. Whether it’s an 8 hour break or a full weekend, whether you go solo or with your girlfriends. Our mental health matters.

3 Likes

I get a break or night away but couldn’t imagine taking a whole vacation without them. Your spouse probably needs or wants a break as well and you guys could take one without the kids so you can bond and relax

1 Like

Yes, you deserve a break. You both do but especially if you are the primary care giver that is very tiring.

girl, take you a mom trip! Ive had to do this too. Sometimes we get overwhelmed and depending on the circumstances you may just need it. Don’t let people make you feel bad especially if you devote your time and energy regularly to your family. It may be necessary for your mental health. I know it is for mine. Therapist approved. lol

Has he had one? Let him have a weekend away too…why would you not want him to go…:thinking:

3 Likes

You are NOT !!! You deserve it, you can have one weekend for yourself and then he can do the same, and also you guys should try to get one as a couple as well .
Taking a little break from our kids more is healthy and a NECESSITY

1 Like

Mom’s absolutely deserve breaks on occasion. Those trips alone are essential. You do you Mama and if your partner can’t get on board then he may need a reality check by being alone with his children for a bit and just how much you need your break. Welcome to her world my guy.

4 Likes

Hell no,i’m going on holiday on my own for 5 days next month and I can’t wait, I have been married for 17 years with 6 kids I deserve this break!

1 Like

Nope. You time is important. You and hubby time is important as well. Family time, like…not just living and being in the same house together… Is important. Gotta make time for all 3 separately.

I took a trip to a cabin in the woods by myself. Best thing ever and I want to do it again.

1 Like

No but I wouldn’t want to leave for a full weekend of fun without my hubby. I would plan it for me and him not just myself.

4 Likes

Does Dad get a weekend vacation alone?

If you both take some alone time, what’s the problem?

6 Likes

No. He’s in the wrong for not supporting you. Moms need breaks too!!!

3 Likes

No you need time to by yourself once in a while.

Well hes a selfish husband I hope u get ur break and all will be well

2 Likes

Maybe he is just upset because he also wants a break… talk to him about you getting a mini vacation and him also getting one

4 Likes

Does he get away.
It’s the same.
Your needs are valid and doesn’t need approval. We all have our own needs

1 Like

Your husband is a father. He should act like it. If he can’t handle 2 days as the parent, you should go & let the kids have a weekend at a friends or family members house. If he has nights out or does anything w/o you & the kids, he really needs to be reminded that you aren’t glued him. You aren’t just a wife & mom.

I have alone trips all the time. Usually it’s a day & I drive the Blue Ridge Parkway or hit up antique stores. My husband has never said a word. I wish he would. :joy:

If he has the chance to go and do something child free like you do then I see no problem. Dad deserve just as much as lone time as you do

3 Likes

Absolutely not. But offer him the same deal

3 Likes

Nope! Go and have your weekend. Your husband and child will survive without you.

Everyone needs space

I would say it depends on what type of vacation and also is this something you would allow your husband to do as well. If you are planning maybe a weekend to go to a spa or just hang with some friends, I could see that, but if you are thinking of going to like Hawaii or something a bit more grand then I could definately see why your husband would have a problem. I too have been a mom now for 8.5 years, married for 9, and I am a full time collage student so I understand the thought and want for a weekend.

2 Likes

No, you need a life aside from your children and husband (mom/wife life) to decompress and do you. What’s one week out of 10 years for yourself?!?! Enjoy your you time :heart:

1 Like

Start the car and go. Take some money out of the bank for your needs. Enjoy yourself for the weekend. YOU DESERVE IT…

Does he have breaks as well? Does he go away on trips alone without you?

1 Like

I’m a mom of 5 and feel like that every dam day.

1 Like

Not wrong. We need to normalise self care more. If a weekend away once in 10years helps you recharge and come back a happy mum and wife, then why not?
Talk to your husband though and try and get to the bottom of why it’s upset him this much. It may be a case of feeling left out or him wanting to do something nice with you. But insist on planning something special with him or for him seperate to what you want to do. When people lash out it’s usually got more to do with them than you so give him the opportunity to actually explain his issue clearly and if he sticks to name calling, make it a long weekend you go away for lol

1 Like

I’d just divorce ya and move the kids somewhere else, you can stay on vacation.

1 Like

Wow. I never wanted to do that.
And even with grown up kids and grandkids still enjoy family holidays

1 Like

Girl take that vacation!! He’ll get over it. If not he’s toxic and controlling

3 Likes

Maybe you could both take a mini vacation. Could be he needs some much needed guy time

Not at all. You deserve it. If you want get a couple girlfriends or more & have a Girl’s weekend. I started doing “beach trips” with girlfriends I went to school together when we were 40s—50s. Or give yourself some time alone & rest.

1 Like

Your husband is wrong for thinking you don’t need some time to repair and replenish your sound. It’s not that you want room be away from them but sometimes you need it. I mean does he have something he likes to do like go fishing with his buddies something like that. Why can’t you have a weekend? Men?!

1 Like

Does he go for a fishing trip or anything by himself?

bet your husband wouldnt hesitate to have a weekend away with mates

5 Likes

Yes , you are wrong.Why have children? What a mother?

11 Likes

I don’t see the problem, my son is at that age that it’s not cool to hang out with parents :laughing: so now I sit home most weekends alone. I guarantee none of the other members of the home would have a problem going somewhere they wanted for one weekend without you.

Everyone needs breaks at times! When you read about mothers snapping, the first thing everyone says is why didn’t she give the kids to me for a break instead of ending their life.

This is where it gets so frustrating-if you want time for yourself- take it! It does not make you a bad mom or wife! And it definitely does NOT mean u don’t want your kids!! I am so tired of people judging moms for needing a break!! If that’s what you need-then do it! I would also just make sure you offer the same to your husband, whether he goes alone or with friends. This by NO way means you are a terrible person for needing some time. Don’t let anyone make you feel bad for this!!

4 Likes

Nothing wrong with this everyone needs some alone time every once and a while

Did you tell him he could take his own weekend as well? If not maybe he would be more open to it if you did.

1 Like

You deserve time for yourself, and after a very small time away it would be very beneficial to you and your family. There is no harm in doing this. Sit down and explain to your husband how your feeling burnt out and really just need to relax without having to do and do and do for everyone except yourself. A weekend is nothing in the bigger picture, yet taking that time for yourself to recharge can be everything to your family. Do it girl. You deserve this

2 Likes

No, definitely such a thing as being burnt out.

Me and my BFF took off for the weekend for mother’s day. We had a blast! And it was much needed for us both. Mini mom vacation need to become a normal thing!

1 Like

Absolutely not. Men do it all the time. Women’s work is 24/7-365… we deserve breaks too.

1 Like

I personally would not. If I go, my kids and husband go. That is just me though. If you want to so it, go and have a good time.

3 Likes

Everyone deserves a break. If you go…then he gets to go on his own trip too so prepare for that.

3 Likes

l Get paid over $127 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $17684 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://DollarWorth812.pages.dev/

Do it!!! You won’t regret it!!

1 Like

No he is wrong. My husband encourages me to go have fun alone often. Even forced me to go visit my cousin in a different state for 10 days… While they all had covid

1 Like

No, but at the same point you can’t get mad if he wants to do the same.

1 Like

U gave that up when u got married and had kids.

7 Likes

Not at all… Sometimes you need to take a couple of days out for yourself!
You’re a mother but you’re also human… It’s good to remember that!

2 Likes

no nothing wrong with that… me and my bf are going to Tennessee the end of September for a fee days for a wedding so we’re taking a couple extra days just for us… my daughter admittedly alittle bummed but she understands mom does everything for her so she’s ok with me having some us time.

1 Like

Do it !! You are human to !! And we all need a break! I regret not taking more time for myself when my kids were younger … but his now 17 so freedom has been great lol

1 Like

Preplan him a weekend as well, maybe he won’t be so pissy about it.

2 Likes

He’s selfish for thinking you don’t deserve some time to yourself.

3 Likes

I don’t get how someone can call you selfish, when you give all your time and energy to your children all day everyday, and then ask for a little peace. You had kids, and got married why should a woman stop living because of it?
And how can some of you say “you gave that up when you had kids and got married” really?
A woman’s life isn’t over just because she has a man and kids…smh

Girl take the damn weekend and focus on your mental health and don’t listen to ANYONE telling you, you’re selfish.

Do it! I try to do this at least once a year. Sometimes I don’t even leave the area.

l Get paid over $127 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $17684 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://DollarWorth841.pages.dev/

Once you become a mother that is for the rest of your life, a few days away is more than ok. You are still a human with needs. Take a trip, relax and recharge. It will only make you a better mom at the end of it. We all need time to relax. Don’t feel bad for taking care of yourself.

I don’t think I would ever wanna go and do anything without my husband. But I get morning vacations away from the kids. We went on a 10 day cruise without her kids and spent all of June without them. It was such a nice recharge and very much needed for us!!! 

Pick two weekends a year to get away. Everyone needs a break to recharge. It will give your spouse an eye opener on how your day never really ends when your a Mother. My friends and I have been doing two Mommy weekends a year for decades. It’s not up for debate

2 Likes

In my opinion yes you wanted the husband you wanted the kids and you’ve got them now you need space shoulda thought all that thru before you got married and had kids your husband is right to be upset with you now you have him doubting why and what you’re up too…

9 Likes

Not all all planning is key we do them like twice a year a weekend away

Sounds like your husband is the selfish one. Find you a hotel with a hot tub, order room service and relax! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

So, your husband doesn’t ever go out without you and the child?

It’s a double standard. It’s somehow acceptable for dads to need time to themselves or with their friends, but when a mom mentions needing a break, it makes us the worst.

Compromise. Instead of going away away, book a hotel with a pool and a spa in the next town over and check yourself in for the night.

4 Likes

Nope. Go enjoy yourself

1 Like

You definitely are not wrong. Let him know he can take time to himself as well, if he don’t already do so.

Absolutely not!! Go enjoy yourself and recharge :ok_hand:

Not selfish. I think he is!

In a general sense…no.
If you’re being fair about it
The big thing here is not being a hypocrite about it all.
If for example I wouldn’t be ok with my husband taking off for a weekend alone…then I wouldn’t ask/tell him I’m taking off for a weekend alone.
Because if it’s not fair for him to do it…it’s not fair for me to do it either.

I would suggest at this point…if he hasn’t gotten time away himself that you guys plan for him to take a weekend within the next month or so…See if that helps any.
It absolutely feels crappy when your partner plans to go spoil themselves and you’re stuck doing the same thing with the same responsibilities with no “break” in sight.

4 Likes

Well, would you let him go off on his own for a weekend? Might be something you can negotiate with if you really want. On another note have you thought or spent weekend with just your husband?

2 Likes

If you would or have let him go off on his own for a weekend without sending you messages or answering the phone, then he should do the same. Everyone needs a break sometimes. I wouldn’t go far, probably get a hotel room in the same city or next city over, put my phone on do not disturb and sit in a jacuzzi for two days eating pizza lol

To each their own but I wouldn’t

1 Like