Is it wrong of me to ask my mom for gas money?

Get her bus schedules
Give her numbers for call a ride
Put app for Uber and Lyft in her phone.

Getting pregnant, giving birth, and caring for you is what she was suppose to do as a mother. Giving her a ride is nice of you, the least she can do is help pay for it. You’re not asking for extra for time and miles on your car, just for her to cover the cost. She’s a trillion % bogus for that

3 Likes

Fuck that. I ask. :woman_shrugging:t3::sunglasses:

I would give anything to be able to do this for my mom. Maybe don’t ask for gas money. Tell her your a little short on groceries or something.

1 Like

If it was once in a blue moon, I wouldn’t ask. But if it was a frequent thing and if I was financially struggling, then yes I would ask for petrol money. If there were any complaints, I’d suggest Uber or taxi.

6 Likes

I can’t even start to answer this

When I was a teenager my Mom asked for gas money when I was working. And with you not having a job she shouldn’t be offended. Money doesn’t grow on trees for gas. Smh. Either give some money for ride another way around town. Cause ya cant go anywhere on an empty tank.

Sounds like my Mom. She raised me (on the bare minimum might I add) so now I owe her everything anytime for the rest of my life. :roll_eyes: It’s just common sense and straight facts, you gotta have gas money to go anywhere. If she were to get a Lyft or another car service I’m sure it would be more than what you would be asking. Yeah “she’s your Mom and how dare you ask her for money” but realistically you can’t take her anywhere on E. I’d ask and if she gets mad then she gets mad. The fact remains, gotta have gas $.

I’m sorry but I have the same type of mom. If she wants the help she can pay for it. Especially in your circumstances she should see it as a way to help you without showing she’s helping. That is what a kind heart does

It could have been the way you asked her. Be diplomatic… something like Mum I need help with petrol with no money coming in for extras like petrol can you help me please, if that don’t work try this one next one. Your mum will pay a lot more if she Taxied it around on just 1 of her trips so when she asks next time you will have to decline stating you don’t have the petrol or the money to put into the tank. She will have to offer then wont she.

I would tell her due to being unemployed you need to limit trips

She’s family. She’s your mom. It’s what we do for the ones we love. We make sacrifices. If you truly do not have gas to take her or the money for gas then explain that to her.

1 Like

Ask for the money. I did the same to my mum, just cause they bought you into this world doesn’t mean anything

2 Likes

My Mom ALWAYS gave me gas money when she needed a ride.

1 Like

If you don’t have the money then tell her. If she gets offended she has issues. Cars don’t run without gas

8 Likes

She chose to have you.
Make her catch public transport next time or just don’t reply to her when needed

8 Likes

I would tell her that because I’ve been laid off and don’t have money coming in I’m not doing any extra special trips and that if she wants to go shopping then she must come with me when I go shopping for myself.

2 Likes

When my mother was ill she expected 24 7 from me. Had to explain to her at the time I had 4 kids. Year was 2000. I cleared 3500.00 a month. She wanted to give me 250.00 a week. Told her she had to meet me at 3500.00 a month and pay for all her lunches and requests. I had my own bills.

1 Like

When she asks tell her you’re broke and have no gas

Discuss your mother ever have a car? I think people who have had cars have little experience knowing what it costs to finance a vehicle or gas expense. My suggestion is to tell her in advance due to rising costs you are going out only some many days a week. Name the days, like Monday and Thursday. Let her know all things have to be done on that schedule. I bet as a mom, she will understand that one better

2 Likes

Can’t relate. My parents always offered gas money & sometimes I’d take it other times I tell them I’m good. So I appreciate my parents for that even though most of the time I would do it out of my heart :heart:

4 Likes

You only have 1 mother.
I’m sure she has made quite a few sacrifices for you over your lifetime.
IM sure you would want your kids to feel the same way toward you.

2 Likes

That’s your mother
You can’t charge her anything
My mom is in another country and I’d do anything to help her

1 Like

Tell her to take an Uber if she doesn’t want to help you with gas.

4 Likes

You don’t owe her anything. She chose to have you, you didn’t ask to be born. Stop giving rides. Tell her sorry cannot afford to go out, no fuel.

2 Likes

It’s a difficult one but I always give petrol money if someone takes me anywhere if I have no car …because I know what it’s like it’s far to expensive now .good luck x

Give her a budget and tell her to get a bus

“You can pay me a little for gas, or call an Uber.”

“I have been laid off, so I have to cut down on my expenditures, and unfortunately being a free taxi has not paid my bills all this time.”

“Gas is X.XX per gallon. You ask me to take you from A point to B point and back. This is how much it will cost. $X” (calculate miles from A to B and multiply. Repeat as needed as many times as needed to get the number of miles she has put on your car in a few days or a week or however often. Then take the total miles and divide it by how many MPG your car gets. If you don’t know what your car gets, looks like google says the average is 24ish city and 34ish highway. So if she’s putting 96 miles on your car a week which is totally doable where I’m at, its a 6-7 minute drive to the grocery store from my house one way and a 6-7 minute drive home… Now don’t forget to add the drive TO her place from YOUR place. Let’s say it adds four miles… So thats 48 miles because your mom’s having you drive her to the grocery store 12 times a month. The total milage she added to your car is 96+48. We’ll say your average car mpg is 24 for now… So 144/24=$6 a ride. WHY PER RIDE, SKY??? Maintenance fees, my beautiful bitches. Your mama is putting miles on your car, on your tires, on your gas tank, on your brakes, on your oil, on your engine, etc. That doesn’t pay for itself. It won’t be like, well fuck, I broke. I guess I’ll just fix myself now. Sorry to inconvenience you, my driver. Nope, it breaks and you’re the one that’s out. Your mama’ll leach off whoever the fuck they can and drop you in a heartbeat without a second thought when they can’t get what they need out of you. So if you can’t find a way to tell them you need money to cover the ride, then tell them your car broke down and you can’t come get them. And stop coming to get them. Some days I feel like I need to repost my shit on my business page when I work so hard in the comments section…but for real. Stop getting walked on. <3 LOVE YOU, RANDOM PERSON.)

Not the same but I don’t drive so every month I pay my dad for taking me shopping as he unemployed looking after my brother and sister (teenagers) alone hes never asked for it but end of day prices are so high that it not fair to relay on him to fork out for it end of the day she should be giving u petrol money cos cars don’t run on fresh air x

1 Like

When she’s dead you won’t care about the gas money.

2 Likes

My mil doesnt drive but we often drive her places. If it is not somewhere we were going then she is asked for some fuel money but if we were already going or its not out of our way we dont expect it. Its been this way for many years and the $5-10 she gives us goes straight in the tank while she is with us so she can see thats what its being used for.

I think she should offer

2 Likes

Yeah who raised her? Not having a license, please tell her to pay gas or walk.

I think that she can use her transportation money to assist with some gas for the car…because you are unemployed it sounds resonable to me but if you were working…I see no problems with your mom not paying gas because she did raise you…everyone knows how hard it is to rsise kids & costly too…your mom is your responsibility as parents grow older they become more unable to care for themselves…they become like your child she didn’t abandon you so you should not abandon her!..however if your mom is unemployed asking for gas money sounds a bit heartless as long as you driving around for important things!

1 Like

Depends why and what she needs done. If you can put it off until you need to be doing things then why not kill 2 birds with one stone. Also how far apart do you live. I mean there is a bit more to it that’s left out.

I mean if she needs a hand doing food shopping and you live a short distance from her get the shopping list and do a click and collect order from a shop on the way home from work or be as r her place so not out of the way.

You didn’t ASK to be BORN so that argument that she never asked for anything in return is ridiculous and toxic asf. It honestly quite gross IMO. With the gas prices going the way they are she needs to contribute or get her drivers license. You aren’t a chauffeur. You even lost your job. If she took a ride share or taxi she’d be paying. If it were only every once in a while it wouldn’t be that big of an issue I’m sure but all the time with the gas prices - no. You need to take care of yourself. She needs to take care of herself.

11 Likes

Gas prices are crazy right now, Asking for gas money is not horrible. I even cut down driving because of the prices. If she doesn’t like it, let her know she can always call and pay for an uber or taxi. Or take the bus.

She shouldn’t get offended and she should offer you gas money even if she can’t every time tell her she has to

2 Likes

Also tell her you’re struggling a little bit cuz you got laid off

The next time she tells you something like that just tell her that you didn’t ask to be born , having you was her desicion not yours .
And NOT , you was not wrong , cars don’t run with air and gas is very expensive, she should have offered to give you some money for gas

4 Likes

I don’t drive and I have a doctor out of town so what I do is give my sister and brother in law $100 for the trip we stop for gas maybe once on the trip then after my doctor we get lunch to go then I tell them whatever is left just use it for whatever you need at home

1 Like

Be on a job interview when she calls.

1 Like

Next time she asks just say u have no spare cash and cars empty

3 Likes

My mom lives with me doesn’t drive and is on a fixed income. Since gas prices went up I have had to ask her for gas once in a while. She totally understands and just thanks me for all the rides I give her with out asking for anything. I wouldn’t tell you what to do bc we’re all adults but I just wanted to share same story just different response.

2 Likes

Yes I wouldn’t ask mine but she’s no longer with us just think about that just enjoy what time you can with her

As a mother of adult kids……I would never have to be asked to give gas money. I would make you take some.

You didn’t ask to be born. It was her responsibility to raise you

12 Likes

Where does she need to go if she’s broke?

3 Likes

I was raised to never ask for anything, but I wasn’t raised not to help, especially my children.

2 Likes

Are you over 18? Do you live with your mom rent free? If you live there for free and your over 18 you should just do it. Gas games are cheaper than rent. If you are out on your own simple say No. Simply be kind and nice and say I do not have the money. I’m broke.

2 Likes

If it qere me I’d be saying prices of gas has gone up I can’t afford to keep giving you lifts if you can’t put any gas in my car you will have to find an alternative way to get there sorry say it how it is be truthful and tactful.

I think she should give you gas money things are different today than they were when you were little

That saying, cash, grass, or ass. Nobody rides for free. Sorry not sorry. Tired of people taking advantage of people, just because… make her pay something or it will eat you alive, she can be an active member of society just like everyone else.

Depends - her income and how much she does for you.If she is already paying part of your stuff then no.IF HER INCOME is decent and she isn’t doing a lot for you she shouldn’t mind

1 Like

Parents who use that line to their children need to be punched in the throat, when you have a kid they do not owe you anything ever, so if you’re using this line you shouldn’t have had kids in the first place. I’d tell her to pay gas money or kick rocks and take a cab

My mom doesn’t drive either and ill take her places but we’re usually splitting whatever we’re doing and if I need any cash she’d help me out with out blinking. With that being said, she should be helping you out as well

2 Likes

Next time she needs a ride, tell her the car doesn’t have gas so you can’t help her. If she offers to put gas in the car, give her a ride. If she doesn’t. Don’t. You don’t even have to ask her for gas money.

6 Likes

Tell her no gas no ride

2 Likes

Ooh, and a really nice birthday, mothers day or christmas gift is driving school. Unless she’s elderly or disabled there’s no excuse for her to not be able to drive. Also, maybe it iisn’t about needing a ride. Maybe it’s just an excuse to spend more time with you so even if she gets her license and a car remember that part, too.

My mom gave me gas money when she needed a ride. You’re not wrong

1 Like

I think it depends on the family dynamics and why she doesn’t have a DL. If it’s bc of a legal reason or it’s her choice to not have one, I don’t think your wrong for asking, especially if it’s a lot of driving around. If it’s a medical reason she doesn’t have one I would just tell her you are having to limit the number of outings or that you guys need to condense the running around to when you both have things to do.

Personally if it was my mom she would make me pull in to a gas station and would fill my car up. Then again our family dynamics are probably different.

Start telling her you don’t have gas.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s wrong to ask. Even if it’s not every time you take her somewhere she should be helping out. Politely tell her that unless it’s a necessary trip like a doctor’s appointment etc that you can’t because you need the gas you have to take her to those necessary appointments and “ Gas doesn’t grow on trees “ and if she wants rides elsewhere she needs to help out with gas money or get a ride from her friends, walk, take a bus etc. If she took a cab she’d be paying them.

1 Like

Tell her to take an Uber and see how much it costs.

1 Like

I help my mom out all the time she gives me gas money now since it’s so high

1 Like

Be patient and kind and put some change in a container with gas money clearly visible on the outside we did this when our teenagers were old enough to drive and there was always money inside.

1 Like

I hate when parents act like they did you a favor by doing what they’re obligated to do as a parent. For her to say I did this and never asked for anything in return so you have to do things for her is kind of a contradiction.

11 Likes

Do you live in her house rent free? Do you pay any bills at all IF you live there? I can see both sides of this but I would definitely give my kids gas money if they were constantly driving me places.

2 Likes

Personally, I wouldn’t ask for rides from anyone without paying for the fuel. That includes my children.

3 Likes

don’t ask your mama for money

3 Likes

I help my mom get to the grocery store and sometimes to appointments it depends. With us we live in the same town and when I do help out it’s on days when I’m already going to be out doing stuff for my home so the gas kinda evens out because I was already going to be going to those places anyways. She has given me gas money a few times but she is on disability and has limited funds. If I don’t have the gas I tell her I don’t have the gas and she will either give me gas money or wait until I have gas money. I go over to my mom once a week sometimes once every two weeks to check on her and spend some time with her those days are usually the days we go and do our running of errands. I don’t think that it is wrong of you. I would tell your mom with gas prices as high as they are she will need to put some gas in your car when she needs a ride.

3 Likes

With Bidens outrageous gas prices im not a free taxi ride for anyone except my grandkids…

6 Likes

She can either pay your gas or a cabs. It’s really that simple. For someone who never asked for anything in return she sure has no problem manipulating you in some weird transactory way over rides.
If her reason for not driving is medical, her insurance will cover transport. If it’s a preference, you’re not obligated to enable her. She is an adult she can resolve her own transportation issues.

12 Likes

Next time she asks for a ride say you’d love to take her but you’re out of gas

12 Likes

Parents that use your existance as some kind of reason they are owed anything are cringe. You don’t owe her anything. No money for gas means no ride :woman_shrugging:

13 Likes

That’s your mom burn the gas damn

Your mom’s a dick… She could help u out but she’s being selfish…

Of you’ve been laid off then ask for gas money

2 Likes

Raising you was her responsibility, helping her is yours but I think she should help some with gas money.

Just next time she asks for a lift say sorry but I haven’t got the gas or can’t afford the gas to do so. Maybe then she will get the hint x

6 Likes

Sounds like she’s asking for free rides in return for raising you :woman_shrugging: you’re not wrong to ask. Maybe drive her to the dmv so she doesn’t have a reason to bum rides? Or call her an uber next time, but she’ll have to pay.

4 Likes

Tell her you don’t have the gas for it…

3 Likes

I could never ask my father for gas money. Everything he sacrificed in life to make sure my brothers and I had what we needed, Its the least I can do. Everyone is different. I suggest you sit down and have a discussion with her.

1 Like

Stick to obligation rides- appointments, groceries. And all in one outing.

If it’s for social or “luxury” (mall, beauty salon) outings, say no or tell her your tank is low and you can’t afford to fuel up until next ‘pay’ (assuming you’re collecting unemployment), so if it’s that important to her, she’ll pay for your gas. Remind her that you’ve cut your budget/ luxuries because of your circumstances, you needn’t be paying for hers.

5 Likes

Tell her to call Uber and she will see the current prices. She should be happy to put gas in your car!

I would never ask my mom for gas money … ever… I am disabled myself and on a fixed income and if she needs a ride or something from the store I gladly do it … I guess it all depends on how close you are and how you were raised? She was a single mom and did everything for her children and now it’s my turn to be here for her … that’s just the way I see it …

3 Likes

WOW, my mom would force gas money on us kids who drive her. And this was when gas was reasonable.

No you are not wrong to ask for gas money.

First, I would say thanks for raising me but I would tell Mom I didn’t ask to be born.

Second, it is the parents responsibility to support their child without expectations of reimbursement. Not the child’s responsibility to support the parent.

Third with the cost of gas, she should pay for gas especially when you must make a special trip just for her.

Can you coordinate her need for a ride with running your own errands?

Can you take her grocery shopping when you do yours?

Can ask her to coordinate all her errands and appointments to get done once per week? Multiple trips are more expensive than one.

Do you have any siblings who can share the burden?

Mom is so out of line here…

2 Likes

Next time she asks for a ride… Tell her you are sorry you don’t have enough gas.

4 Likes

Enedina Isabel :eyes: sorry …

1 Like

She also raised you to be an individual human, not a taxi service for her…just saying

5 Likes

She raised you because she chose to have you instead of have an abortion. That was her choice.

I would tell her, “I can’t afford my gas for you to run around. If you want to go somewhere, pay me gas money or use an Uber. Just because you’re my mom doesn’t mean you get free rides.”

If you’re having a hard time affording it, nothing wrong with asking. If you can afford it…do something nice for your mom.

3 Likes

You shouldnt have to ask ,she should offer!!!

3 Likes

Tell her that she raised you because she made you. That wasn’t your choice it was hers. You don’t have to means to drive around all the time. If she needs to go somewhere she can put some money in the tank

2 Likes

Start telling her that you are low on gas and can’t give her a ride next time she asks. It’s one thing of you can afford it, but if you can’t then you can’t be putting yourself out for her.

10 Likes

I guess I’d just sit down with her and let her know, you don’t want to charge gas money for giving her rides, but right now with gas prices and not working, you have to put all absolute essentials First. So maybe you could give her a free rides a month for medical appointments or grocery shopping but otherwise you’d need so much peer distance for gas. I’ve never really had to deal with this. As if I couldn’t afford it I would just say “normally (as you know) I’d love to but money is really tight right now and I’m not sure I can afford it” my mom would then either say “ok no problem” or “I could give you x amount towards gas if you can”. She knows I wouldn’t except money from her unless I truly needed it. But she also knows how it feels to have to go without or not be able to help a loved one no matter how much you want to because you simply can’t afford it. Bills to pay, kids to feed, etc. That always comes first!

3 Likes

I always asked do you need gas money?any thing you need…

Wow that’s awful. My mum always gives me money even tho I try and stop her but she honestly won’t take it back. She knows I don’t have a lot of money and as I drive her places or do things for her she’s happy to give it to me. I’d stop taking her places except doctors and hospital appointments as it’s just not fair on you.

3 Likes

“sorry I can’t, I’m like almost out of gas”. Then she can offer gas money or put her butt on the bus. I woulda been pissed off at her comment about having raised you…like you’re some how indebted to her for that. It was her job to raise her child. You OWE her nothing for that except love and loyalty. If you were rich then I’d say you shouldn’t ask for gas money. But I assume she knows you lost your job. And she can read so she sees how expensive gas is. I think she’s a user. And a manipulator. Otherwise she should be offering gas money all on her own. I know I would be to my daughter. Tell her you are busy job hunting and can’t drive her around that day and offer to call an Uber for her. And when she says that’s too expensive say to her “yeah, well so is gas”.

Maybe you should evaluate if her request to go somewhere is important like an appointment, grocery shopping etc. If its just because she wants to go shopping for fun or for her to see friends then she should at least chip in for gas or just stay home. When I didn’t have a license i offered to pay for gas. It was a courtesy to have someone drive me unless it was their idea and I was invited to go. I hope you can come to an agreement.

2 Likes

Just say NO. Truth should not be an issue. Tell her that you need gas money she will need to call Uber or a taxi.
Cars are expensive, not just gas; tires, oil changes and general wear and tear.

3 Likes