Is it wrong of me to ask my mom for gas money?

I ALWAYS give gas $ to anyone that gives me rides, I also do not drive. I feel as they are taking their time n money(gas) to give me a ride so it’s only fair.

you do not live next door–a nominal fee is appropriate

1 Like

I could never ask my parents for money. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

You are absolutely NOT wrong! You’re being kind enough to take her where she needs to go the least she can do is give you gas money!! You didn’t ask her to bring you into this world so her raising you is completely irrelevant here! I’d remind her if she had to get a ride from ANYONE else she would be asked to provide gas money! Cut her off until she can show you some respect!

You owe her nothing for raising her. Nothing. Not love. Not one car ride. Nothing

6 Likes

You don’t get to ask you kids for anything in return of giving them birth… wow… thats horrible

1 Like

I also couldn’t ask my parents, kids or grandkids for gas money, But I will say, if you live there & you are not paying much, it really won’t hurt to just drive her for free, If you say ‘well I give her money to live there’ Then maybe get your own place & see just how much it cost for yourself, And then think, gee, driving her here & there wasn’t so bad !!! Now if you don’t live with her, & was laid off from work, then I might understand you saying to her how tight things are with you due to this & see if she will give you some money

2 Likes

Next time she asks just tell her I don’t have any gas right now I’m sorry.

4 Likes

You should absolutely ask for gas money in fact she should be offering… Don’t allow her to talk to you like that the very fact that she didn’t ask you for nothing in return is absolute bulshit!!..

2 Likes

It’s tough; I think whenever we can bless our parents, we should BUT not at the cost of putting you in a hardship. I would just explain to her what you did here, that with everything becoming more and more expensive, you really need her to contribute a little.

2 Likes

My mom literally just sent me $100 yesterday “just because” and I’m almost 27. Y’all parents out here really be tryin y’all asses. I understand not everyone has the same parents which is why I’m not judging. But still, gas is high asf right now. I’m filling up $80 every 4 days with just my running alone. Ain’t no way I’m giving any rides without gas money unless someone going the same place I am.

You didn’t ask to be here, so her saying “I raised you” is based on her own choice. If she’s asking for rides she should be helping her daughter who is obviously without a job right now. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

You cut her off, if she can’t contribute. It was her choice to have and raise you. You owe her nothing. You’re doing her a favor by being her personal chauffeur.

2 Likes

Are you living with her, do you have your own bills to pay?
If you honestly can’t afford it then it’s not wrong to ask.
Maybe it’s the way you said it to her?
Just let her know that you’re in a tough position right now, & you just need a little bit of help till you get another job.

2 Likes

Wow what the hell is wrong with you people telling her just cut her off wtf

2 Likes

I don’t ever ask for money . Family is family. Help each other!

3 Likes

Be honest and tell her your struggling with gas prices - can’t go wrong with honesty

6 Likes

This I did for you as a kid shyt is dumb, she choose to have you. She owes you gas money, fawk her.

4 Likes

Tell her you don’t have the gas and don’t take her.

4 Likes

She has a point it’s called giving back

5 Likes

Just leave your car on empty and tell her I don’t have any gas. If u need a ride u will have to put gas in it. I have occasionally used my parents truck and I always, always make sure I put more than what gas I use in it. Just as a courtesy for them allowing me to use it.

8 Likes

Sounds just like my mom, she thinks giving me at most $10 for gas to go to her house puck her up, take her to any place she “needs” to go. Many of the times she don’t give me anything when she knows I struggling and only my husband is working to support our family of 4

You didn’t ask to be born :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

If she does need help and you’d like to help…just limit the rides to once a week

I would literally say I would love to take you but my car is on empty if I come get you I will literally run out of gas on the way

3 Likes

Nope. It cost me over $140 to fill my tank, so when i give rides i expect gas…

1 Like

Run out of gas with her in the car…and say…”You raised me…better figure this out .

3 Likes

Y’all saying “you didn’t ask to be born” what the f@ck is really wrong with y’all… lmao
Yo mama RAISED you your whole life and that’s how y’all feel?? Gross

9 Likes

Mothers are travel agents for guilt trips.

3 Likes

She should be offering knowing the price and you not working.

3 Likes

Hell yes! Did you pay her for running you around the countryside while you were growing up!? Shame on you!

9 Likes

You don’t owe your mom anything, you didn’t ask to be here in the first place. If she raised you up so well. Then she should know that putting you in any bind that could cause hardship isn’t the mothering thing to do. So don’t fall for that BS! If she cannot afford to help with gas. That is a different thing but if she can and just expects you to help,nope. Absolutely not! She lacks modern common sense. We’re not in her times and gas is expensive.

We have to honour our parents but a huge mistake is losing ourselves in the process. Don’t do that because guess what! She would absolutely pay someone else to drive her up and down.

Thank God my mother isn’t this way.

10 Likes

Be honest with her. You don’t have a source of income to pay for the gas needed to bring her places. You need help with that. Tell her at the present time it’s difficult to keep doing that. If you don’t have the money to put gas in your car to bring her she’ll have to find some other form of transportation.

2 Likes

Out of respect you should just do it, she is your mother. But also if you don’t have that mother daughter relationship for whatever reason, I would think it would be okay to ask for gas money.

Are you sn adult? You didn’t ask to be born sounds like something a child would say my mom passed away I took her to every chemo radiation spot for month I woulda climbed mountains for that somebody you know all the times she took me places over he years I would of never asked her for a penny

1 Like

She shouldn’t expect you to go broke and use your gas when you’re struggling

2 Likes

This might just be my mom, but whenever she asks me to drive her somewhere she always offers had money, even my in-laws offer had money

You’re not wrong just bc she raised you without expecting anything in return is what she is supposed to do as a parent. An she clearly is expecting something from you if she is having you drive her all over. Knowing you are laid off she should help considering that you drive her everywhere. Even my own mother would fill my gas tank up when I took her places even if she was only along for the ride she would do that for me. An it’s all bc she knows that I have bills an kids to care for an my job at the time didn’t well. The mere concept that bc I raise my kids an gave them life and not expect anything from is simply parenting. It’s what I’m supposed to be doing bc I brought you into this world. Do I anticipate my kids helping me with things here an there as I get older and they become adults sure but do I expect it absolutely not they have lives they need to live an things they need to do for themselves. However I will forever provide for my kids so long as I am breathing bc I brought them into the world an the expectation of a mother(aka parent) is to care for your children and provide for them till our last breath. Anyone who thinks they shouldn’t be helping their kid out just bc they did stuff for them an gave them life is a selfish person. Also I’m not saying that as a parent you need to pay your kids bills an fully support them even as an adult child I’m saying that you know they need help then help them out as best you can when you can. I mean if they have to drive you somewhere even if it’s a short distance give them $20 at least for gas and maybe by them a drink a snack or even a meal. The point of a parent is to teach your kids kindness and to always help others when they help you but never expect someone to do for you just bc you did for them like oh i dont know give you life bc that is just ridiculous.

2 Likes

She definitely should ne giving you gas money. Of she’s not helping with anything else then yes she should be giving you gas or she can find a different ride. If she trys the o I’ve done all of this for you tactic it wasn’t for you it was so she had something to hold over your head. It was for herself. Your her child she’s supposed to raise you. Not this tit for tat bull pucky

1 Like

I would go and take her and run out of gas, bet she will think different about the gas situation.

9 Likes

Next time just say you can’t as you have no gas and no money to put any in, she will have to pay for public transport

10 Likes

Sit down with her and explain that you have lost your job and simply cannot afford to run her to all of her errands with the way gas prices are today. If she brings up her having given birth and raised you, point out that gas was less than $2.00/gallon when you were growing up. Offer to take her out two days a week and consolidate her errands into those two days. Any days beyond that and she will need to provide some gas money.
I suspect a large part of her constantly needing a ride somewhere stems from loneliness. Not having the freedom to just get up and go can be seriously life altering for older folks. Is there any sort of public transportation where she lives?

3 Likes

I guess if you don’t have the money then you don’t have the money but I know I am constantly taking my 3 kids all over the place to hang out with friends or to do this or do that. Things I don’t HAVE to do. I can only hope if I need a little help when I’m older then will be willing.

1 Like

Tell her, no gas no go because u are laid off, then she will understand

3 Likes

Just tell her you don’t have the money for gas.

You don’t owe her for her doing her responsibility raising you. But if you don’t have gas she can’t go anywhere and that’s the hard truth. You’re not wrong to ask. Next time she asks tell her you don’t have the gas and no money to fill it.

5 Likes

The relationship dynamic IS and always will be…SHE is the mother and you are the daughter! I have 2 adult daughters and I help them as much as I can. If they were driving me everywhere I would give them gas money without them having to ask. I don’t have a lot and my kids don’t ask for a lot. But I’M there mother. They didn’t ask to come in this world. It’s my job to support them and love them in every way I can. A mother who says she doesn’t have to pay you bc of everything she did for you as a child is a selfish woman. And yes, I think it’s perfectly acceptable to ask for some gas money!

10 Likes

l always give gas money for whoever drives me, but is she better off than you or are you just cheap, that makes a difference

1 Like

It’s all about healthy boundaries. You’re an adult and have adult responsibilities. She’s an adult and has adult responsibilities. Nothing is free. The whole " she raised you with excepting nothing in return" comment is false. She expects you to drive her around like driving miss daisy. That doesn’t sound like nothing. $5 for a gallon of gas doesn’t sound unreasonable. ( Except for how expensive gas is ATM. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:)

2 Likes

Next time she asks for a ride just tell her you would love to help her but you haven’t the gas or the funds to get gas. If she is able to supply the gas you would be happy to help her with the transportation

1 Like

You tell her no. Your an adult.

1 Like

I am sure if you explain to her she would be willing to help with the gas

My Mom is gone but i would do any thing for her if she was still here. Be thankful for her .

2 Likes

Y’all are mean to your mom’s :woman_facepalming:t3:
You’ll miss her one day and will wish you could run out your gas for her. We do owe them everything, they raised us, took care of us when we were sick. Comforted us when hurt.
Remember this post when you miss her :cry:
You’ll run that gas out to go visit her grave though.

6 Likes

I think this was very rude of your mother…Do you live with your mother? It really doesn’t matter. You got laid off your job so she should help with the gas. I would still ask her

I would, for sure, be getting gas money now. Or she will not be riding. That’s some narcissistic sh** right there! Youre not supposed to expect anything in return, yes but asking for something free (Your ride) is much worse than asking for gas money after the 15th time of taking you to town. You are not wrong and she is taking advantage of you, playing the “I raised you better” card. Thats so terrible on her part :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

I don’t think it’s wrong. In fact, out of courtesy, she should be offering. Maybe she’s waiting for you to ask her. Just say, mom, would you mind helping me out with gas money, especially with the price being so high? I’m sure she would be willing. Now, on the other hand. If she’s footing the bills for other things in your life, then maybe you can do this for her. Goes both ways.

A good compromise would be to limit the number of trips each week. And let her know you will need some money. Also you can suggest she asks some of her friends or other relatives so you aren’t as overwhelmed. You need to have time to look for another job and gas to go to interviews.

Tell her to call Uber

Azz…cash…or gas…Nobody Rides 4 Free!!!:joy:

4 Likes

She raised you, because she opened her legs & had you. She had no place to ask for anything in return.

If she’s so offended, tell her to drive herself, Get her license, call an Uber/lift, walk.

1 Like

Stop using death as an excuse to let people manipulate y’all :joy:

Who cares if “she’ll be gone one day and you’ll miss it”, okay?? One day I’ll be gone too and maybe she’ll miss me :woman_shrugging:t2:

She’s an adult. Gas is not cheap. You also don’t owe her for anything she did for you as a child because SHE chose to be a parent- not YOU. That’s from the perspective of a mother AND a daughter.

Tell her plain and simple gas is not cheap and she is going to have to help pay for it or she’s free to call an Uber and she how much MORE that’ll cost her :woman_shrugging:t2: Idk who y’all’s mothers are but mine was raised differently because I wouldn’t even have to ask, she would’ve offered.

16 Likes

I understand having boundaries and things with family. Just understand if you lose her tomorrow. Petty issues like this will hurt the most to remember😔

1 Like

If it’s constantly, then she should help with Gas!!

1 Like

Stand your ground and you don’t owe her anything, not like that anyway.

She should offer since gas is so much rn. Even if she had a Uber she’d pay a lot more than 10-15 dollars for gas.

1 Like

If she’s in st louis she can use a ride service called via u can get the app or call for r a ride having the app is easier. They only go certain places tho. Also there’s buses.if she wants a ride from u then u need to explain to her how u can’t afford gas and need a little help.

Tell her just because she raised you doesn’t make the gas she uses free.

3 Likes

Never asked for anything? Wow.
Does she have outside support? Friends?
I would make one day a week for her stuff. She throws a fit then 1 day every 2 weeks.
She bored and lonely? Is there a senior center close that have functions?

It’s a boundary, you aren’t out of pocket. And given the circumstances, it’s appropriate. If she has an issue she can utilize other options. If you don’t have the time or cash- you just don’t!!

5 Likes

What Was The Amount of of the Bill your Mother Passed you For All The Years She Raised you? NOTHING!! IT WOULD SAY PAID IN FULL. Thats A Mothers love.

3 Likes

I feel very sure that if the OP had the money to pay for the gas, this would not be an issue. Her problem is was laid off and SHE DOES NOT HAVE THE MONEY. No matter how much she loves her mother, if she does not have the money, she does not have the money. If it was just an occasional lift to the store or something, it would be one thing. But I would NEVER ask my kids to constantly run me places and not give them gas money.

14 Likes

If you can’t afford it you can’t help that. Don’t feel bad for needing help, and if she wants to complain, let her find another ride. It is what it is, and these gas prices are seriously trying to rape us all! Good luck

Really… even when my mom helped me out and drove me to places and to work, I offered her gas money and she said no. The only thing I had helped pay for was my phone bill and things I wanted when I was working. Now, I did helped my brother a few times with gas and so did my mom. That’s what families are supposed to do, they are supposed to help each other even in finances. I’m married and living with my husband and my mom and family members STILL help in times of needs. Hell, even my cousins gave me rides and my mom would cover for gas even tho i offered. Even my in laws help my husband and I with rides and finances even groceries. Even when one of my BEST FRIENDS got up at 2am in the morning to a 2 hour drive to pick me up from the air port and I paid her $300 for that because she also had work few hours after she picked me up.

I guess I’m just lucky. :woman_shrugging:t4:

I see no issue with it. :woman_shrugging: But I was raised different where my mom asked us for gas money when we got jobs. And she wont watch grandkids for free.

We all got to help each other!!! Yes she should offer

1 Like

Tell her this is a different time , gas isn’t.30 a gallon no more. You don’t mind helping but you just can’t afford it.

2 Likes

Her job was to raise you so yea she doesn’t get anything in return except a daughter willing to drive her places like a personal chauffeur. If she can’t understand that gas is expensive and you need a little help, stop driving her. Yes she’s your mom but you also deserve respect from her. Not just you to her.

6 Likes

She should help out with gas it’s only right

1 Like

I would spend my last dollar on gas if my mom were still here to drive around. Think about that.

4 Likes

I think there are some factors missing that would make a difference.
Does your mother work, or is she on disability, or SSI? Do you have public transportation readily available in your state? (Whether it’s the subway, train, bus, or small bus. I know Tennessee has little small buses that they send out when you call ahead & make appointments)
As of right now with the bit of information I have, I’d say to just talk to your mom, & let her know that money is tight since you got laid off, & gas prices are through the roof.

Family is there to help each other out. But sometimes you just have to spell it out for people, because they aren’t fully aware of your situation.

2 Likes

You never asked to be brought in this world. It was her responsibility to take care of you as a child. She should be paying you gas if it’s a lot and especially if your laid off.

4 Likes

It depends on your relationship dynamic. Can you try to cut trips down to when you’d already be going somewhere so you’re not constantly burning up gas? We live in a two family with my mother in law and she doesn’t drive, so we take her back and forth to work, appoitments, and errands. I would never accept gas money from her (she’s offered, I’d never ask) because she is on a limited income and that’s what you do as family…help each other out.

1 Like

Okay but gas doesn’t pay for itself and she shouldn’t be guilted because her mom is still alive.

6 Likes

It is amazing to me that someone is willing to cut their mother off over gas money. I completely understand gas prices are outrageous but I would think it could be a simple conversation… like… I’m so sorry mom, I do not have the money to fill my tank… would you possibly have some money to throw in there so I can take you. I can’t imagine she’d be an a*hole… is there more to the story… are you sitting on tons of money and CAN afford it and just don’t want too or are you really in need of the money for the tank… there’s a difference. I’d do anything for my mother (at no charge) because she did raise me and never asked for anything in return. If my kids were laid off and didn’t have any money, I’d buy their gas and do everything I could to help them if they needed it.

5 Likes

U r not wrong, with prices so high, she should understand

Buy her a bus ticket for the whole month

Um… She wasn’t supposed to ask for anything in return for raising you. That’s what she signed up for when she decided to have a kid. Now you’re an adult with your own life, and she shouldn’t expect you to be financially responsible for her. If she can’t contribute to help you, she ought to find her own way. She needs to respect you as a person and respect your boundaries.

Guilting your children for raising them is disgusting.

11 Likes

Straight up with her and say I will do important trips but that’s it if you want to do stuff on the side I need gas money I can’t afford it even thought I am more then happy to help I can’t

3 Likes

Gas is sky high. You are out of work. Money is tight and there’s not an endless supply of it. Respectfully explain this to her. If she doesn’t understand that then you’ll have to back away from some of your “free rides.”Yes she’s your mother. Yes you want to help her but that goes both ways. You CANNOT use all your $ driving your Mom and have nothing for yourself. What about eating and bills? You have to pay for those. If she refuses to see this she’s being selfish.You have been helping but things have certainly changed for you. Continue to help her sometimes but don’t put yourself in the poor house doing it. Selfishness blinds people to others heartache. Sounds like this is your mom’s problem.

10 Likes

She raised you bc she decided to lay down and create you… that’s on her not you… she needs to pay gas if you’ve asked

5 Likes

If it’s to a doctors appointment or maybe the grocery store that’s about it. If she’s just wanting to run around everywhere yeah I think she should be giving you some gas money. Gas prices are not what they used to be so she can’t really even say that..

I would offer if my son were driving me everywhere… sounds like you politely asked and given the situation she should want to help

1 Like

You are a Great Daughter ???

I mean I wouldn’t cut her off. But you’d think she’d offer to help with gas. Kind of rude on her part to not be understanding.

If you can afford the gas, don’t ask you Mother. If you can’t afford it, that’s a different story.

1 Like

Just try to explain your situation, obviously she is not understanding u. I pray for your relationship with your mom.

I wish my mom was still on this earth.I’d drive her anywhere she wanted.I wouldn’t think of asking her for money.she was my mom.Treasure your parents while you still have them

2 Likes

Next time she asks say no sorry I can’t afford the extra gas, I need to make it last :woman_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

My mom and I the opposite. She drives and I don’t due to medical issues. I pay her gas to drive my kids and I around. I think it goes both ways. Your mom can pay a little bit to help with gas. I give my mom $20 or whatever I can each month but we also share groceries and I buy her things she needs and vice versa. My family is a village.

1 Like