Is it wrong of me to ask my mom for gas money?

My mother does not have a license and constantly needs a ride somewhere…i normally do not mind…however gas prices are soarin and i was laid off…she got offended when i asked for gas money because " she raised me and never asked for anything in return"…not even kidding…she said that…i dont wanna cut her off but i am constantly burning up gas for her…what do i do?

312 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Is it wrong of me to ask my mom for gas money? - Mamas Uncut

I’d tell her that gas prices are high and only getting higher. Until gas is back down to what we consider “normal” these days, gas money is a requirement. Mother or not…

8 Likes

If you can’t afford it right now then you can’t afford it! Your mum should understand this since you’ve been laid off.

7 Likes

Stick to your guns. Yes she raised you and such but you set a boundary of a simple decency of pitching in for gas, if can not respect that and contribute then don’t drive her around

2 Likes

She gave you birth so to me she owes you since you didn’t ask to be born, pushed into a job, struggle…

No, you’re absolutely resonable!!! NOBODY gives free rides over and over. If it was her driving she’d pay her own gas plus insurance. Plus you’ve been laid off. You don’t have disposable income.

2 Likes

Did your mum charge you for caring for you as a child.

13 Likes

You do not owe your parents anything for doing their job. Their job was to love, protect, and provide. It does not mean your kids owe you anything. Your mom is a grown adult she can figure out her own way. It’s not your responsibility.

7 Likes

Id tell her she could always get a taxi. I cant afford the fuel if she dosent contribute

2 Likes

nope. just simply say with gas prices increasing and your income decreased, you need help with gas.

if it wasn’t you, she’d have to pay for a cab/uber OR if she got a license, pay for her own gas :woman_shrugging:t4:

4 Likes

It’s not wrong of you to ask. You have to consider your own circumstances, and being laid off you need to be prioritising how you spend money right now. I think the polite thing would have been for your mother to offer to pitch in. It’s crazy to throw the whole “I raised you” thing at your grown children, its manipulative and if you can’t afford to run around right now she needs to be more understanding.

11 Likes

Tell her to get a taxi & see how much that costs her :joy:

5 Likes

No money for gas then u better pay for ur own uber- either way if she wants a ride she has to pay up

1 Like

You didn’t ask to be born so that’s on her, you’re being reasonable especially if this the first time you’ve asked her for gas money

3 Likes

Not at all ain’t nothing free in this world!! You would be helping her to cut her travelling down by doing it all at once

1 Like

You shouldn’t have to ask. She should offer

11 Likes

If you didn’t drive her, she would get a taxi? Or uber? She would have to pay… :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

They would probably expect fuel money from you if you were driving them around all the time

1 Like

Uber…lyft…cabs…the bus

1 Like

Set a one day for all shopping,done

1 Like

Tell her no gas money no ride.

1 Like

Tell her your car is out of gas

4 Likes

She’s your mum… I could never ask for fuel I can’t even ask her to borrow money I wouldn’t because she’s my mum just my opinion :see_no_evil:

8 Likes

Ummmmmmm nope! It’s not disrespectful to ask you didn’t ask to be born she chose that and chose to raise you and if she doesn’t like it she can hail a cab, call a Lyft, call an Uber, catch a train or ride a bus, walk or hitch hike then. Tell her walking ain’t crowded boo.

4 Likes

If you don’t have it you don’t have it…. What can you do…

2 Likes

Just take her your going to miss it one day

6 Likes

Just tell her you got no gas…

1 Like

Lmao the replies on this one. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: you people are mentally challenged…

4 Likes

Set a day or say you’re out of gas or just say no.

1 Like

That’s a mothers role, to raise the children and has nothing to do with her wanting rides all over!! If you didn’t drive she’s have to pay gif taxis or the bus so she should be grateful you can do this for her and out of appreciation should be insisting on paying towards it, not having to be asked. Tell her with no job and rising prices, if she doesn’t pay half towards it, you’re going to have to consider the bus yourself as you can’t afford the luxury of the car and she can either chip in or walk!

4 Likes

You asked her to contribute. Nothing more. Growing up I’m sure you had chores and expectations…
All parents should teach their kids the power of no. In this instance she basically used no. So if you cannot provide her rides at certain times just say no.

3 Likes

Just tell her you have no money and no gas. If she wants to go somewhere; she’ll have to gas up the car

11 Likes

If she has money to go shopping or run everywhere she needs to give money for gas I have given my kids gas money

3 Likes

My mom bought my car for me and gives budget on gasoline everytime i drive for her… lucky me!

I don’t drive either and my daughter takes me places when I need a ride I usually take the bus… I always give her Gas Money…

2 Likes

No, absolutely not in the wrong! I don’t have a car so my mum takes my husband and I shopping, we give her money for fuel even when she doesn’t need it.

4 Likes

Just tell her you don’t have gas and she will have to find another way. Or. Give you gas money. Mother or not, you can’t drive anywhere on an empty tank.

3 Likes

I would never expect someone to drive me around without contributing to gas at least every so often. Everything has inflated, if she is taking gas from you that you need I would tell her you can only take her out on days that you’ve budgeted for or cut her off :woman_shrugging:t4:

I would never ask family for Fuel money . Your mums right and someday she’ll not be here anymore and youll wish you had to take her somewhere

5 Likes

Just explain you would never ask but with gas prices these days, you can’t afford gas as it is. It is your mother and you are going to miss it one day, but gas is astronomical right now, especially for someone that got laid off from their source of gas money

3 Likes

Tell her you didn’t ask to be born hahaha. Honestly I would be asking for gas money if its a regular thing and putting financial pressure on you

3 Likes

People are ungreatful and don’t understand until they have to do it for themselves!!! If she can’t help you, tell her you have no gas, it’s only fair!! She will learn eventually!!!

3 Likes

Absolutely! She should be offeringb

4 Likes

Yes! absolutely ask her … times are hard and there’s no free Rides these days . Be ot family or not. Why can’t she catch a bus.

Do it the nice smart way… when she asks for a lift, just say I’ve got no petrol, if she doesn’t offer to put some on don’t take her.

11 Likes

She raised you because it was HER job.
You owe her nothing in return for that.
Ask for gas money or tell her to find another ride

6 Likes

If you dont have a job she should be offering you money

2 Likes

Maybe you can plan to take her shopping when you need to go somewhere for yourself too that way your making one trip instead of two…She can’t expect you to be her taxi whenever she feels like going somewhere that maybe not so important…

7 Likes

Your mum should offer and she shouldn’t be offended when you ask her to pay something towards fuel. your obviously under financial stress atm I’m sure if you were in a position where you didn’t need her to contribute you wouldn’t ask. She should be more understanding. Goodluck

2 Likes

I’d be saying sorry I have no fuel …

1 Like

Either I or my brother had to take off from work to take our mom to her doctor appointments. She legally blind and doesn’t drive. She always offered gas money and we would never take it. She has dementia really bad now and is in a nursing home. Some days she doesn’t know who we are. I wish she was able for me to drive her somewhere now. This is just one side of the issue. I totally respect the other side that you are laid off from work and need help with gas. Bless you. There is never an easy answer.

2 Likes

I would feel awful if I didn’t give my son gas money

2 Likes

Tell her you don’t have gas every time she needs a ride

7 Likes

I always give my daughter gas money even though she never asked for it . Explain that you can’t afford to take her . If she gives you the money take her if not don’t

1 Like

Sourabh Patil cant even think of it …it seems its a norm der

1 Like

She choose to have kids, that doesn’t entitle her to use you in this manner now you’ve growen up.
Her choice to not have a license and no car: she can use public transport.
Geez I do errends for my mum, she no longer is allowed to drive: she gives me money: I grumble at accepting it.
So your mum either pulls her head in and helps out or tell her to take public transport

9 Likes

I don’t think it’s wrong of you to ask if you are not financially stable at the moment.
Yeah it’s true she raised you and I do see her point. I wouldn’t ask my mother for anything if I had. But then my mom would offer because she’d know I lost a job and she would think about that! She is in general a very considerate person.
If she didn’t offer though, I would ask.
So I don’t think you’re wrong tbh, you sound genuine and respectful (based on your post) so go ahead and ask :relaxed:

6 Likes

Whell of she wants a ride she should contubute

I’ve faced similar situations with family members that don’t drive. An occasional ride, no big deal. But when it becomes consistent or if I’m driving a bit of a distance to do them a favor, I have no issues with asking for gas money or at least putting it out there like “sorry, I wish I could, but I’m not driving much these days with the cost of gas being so high” which is a soft hint that gas money is required. Usually, they’ll get me a drink or a meal to compensate, which is fine too. I feel like especially in your situation, there’s nothing wrong with asking for help with gas. If your mom has qualms about it, you can simply just tell her that while you don’t mind helping her out, you cannot afford it financially right now.

6 Likes

I seriously would never understand this kind of posts…here in Armenia we have to tc of our parents both financially n physically …. She raised you she deserves atleast that ……

7 Likes

No contribution, no ride. You are not out of line if its a constant thing and you should be allowed to tell her no

Be very polite and kind, and tell her you hate asking, but you can’t afford to do it anymore if she can’t help. You’re laid off, and things are tight. Under your circumstances, you can’t afford it. Period. Her raising you was her responsibility as a parent. That shouldn’t be thrown at you when you’re asking for help. You are already helping her.

7 Likes

It’s not wrong of you ! She would have had to pay to get there if you didn’t take her anyway

1 Like

She CHOSE to have you
You don’t owe anyone anything for them fulfilling their legal obligations of housing and feeding a child they CHOSE to have
I hate toxic parents like that

5 Likes

I’d provide any help I could to one of my parents, but if I wasn’t financially able to…I’d simply have to explain that to them as nicely as possible. I’d offer to bring her along when I was already going out to run errands. It’s pretty crappy for her to try to guilt trip you though, for simply having to fulfill her parental obligations.

1 Like

If it was just an occasional thing I wouldn’t ask for gas money, but if you’re driving her around a lot then she needs to contribute. Her trying to make you feel guilty by asking for some is ridiculous, you didn’t ask to be brought into the world. Next time just tell her you can’t afford to be driving her around everywhere because your car doesn’t run on hope and dreams.

5 Likes

Plan a day like every Monday for all her needs our family always paid for gas…

1 Like

If you genuinely can’t afford the gas, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask. Even a contribution would help.

4 Likes

In my opinion she should want to help you out… returning the favor. I do the same for my mother and she always tries to pay me gas money. Most of the time I decline but if I really needed it atleast it was there…

2 Likes

Nope, as a mama I’d pay my way and probably get some bits in my shopping for an extra thank you…but that’s me

3 Likes

Unless she is contributing in some other huge way, you shouldn’t even have to ask, but yes if she won’t contribute towards her transportation, then she can find another way, mom. Or not. Especially if you don’t have an income right now

1 Like

When she asks for a ride tell her you aren’t going anywhere because you have no gas. She will either pay or not go. Stick you your guns.

22 Likes

If your Mom wants a ride and you don’t have money for gas. it behooves her to pay for gas for her ride.

If she wasn’t your mom would you let them still do the same thing she is? It doesn’t matter who they are. No one should take advantage of you especially your mother. My mom offers to give gas money for me to bring my son over to her for the weekend to give me a break and she lives like 10 minutes or less across town.

6 Likes

She could always take Lyft or take a bus.

“She raised me and never asked for anything in return” like what does she mean by that she had no damn choice you weren’t asked to be born but with these gas prices and you being laid off you aren’t being rude sorry but that’s just my opinion

She should be offering. She knows as well as you do times are tough for everyone.
She should be thankful she doesn’t have to Uber everywhere.

Do NOT give in!!!

2 Likes

Ok……Im the mother of 2 grown kids….and everything i did for them for 18 years is what i was suppose to do………They don’t “owe” me a dam thing for doing what a mom is suppose to do. I can’t stand it when parents say that crap to their kids

16 Likes

If she had to find other ways like a taxi or bus she would have to pay so for her to not understand you have financial issues with being laid off is so rude of her and to do the guilt trip is even worse. Tell her that if she doesn’t want to to contribute to gas money then she gets one day a week on the day you are going out to do errands anyways. If she doesn’t like it she can either taxi or bus it. Bringing up raising you as a child is not a legit argument for her not to help with gas especially with the prices they are now.

I’m feeling bad. Every week, my son takes me to Walmart to get groceries and to other places for errands… sometimes for doctor’s appointments if I can get them scheduled for a Friday when he’s off work. Once in awhile my daughter-in-law takes me to medical appointments if I need to go during the week when my son is working. They never ask me for gas money. I would love to just give it to them, but I’m disabled, living on a fixed income. They denied me Medicaid, citing that I have Medicare. My Humana policy doesn’t help enough. I owe medical now and I’m to have surgery early next month. They stopped my food stamps in February saying I got too much money. I’m always short of cash now that grocery prices are skyrocketing. Medications are going up too and I need a bunch of meds. I also go to group therapy. The hospital offers a financial assistance plan for people who attend this group, but you have to re-apply every 3 months, so it seems like they’re always sending out a bill and it’s expensive. Humana covers very little in the way of mental health care. My son knows these things, and also that I have an emotional support dog that has been due for her shots this month and that wasn’t cheap either. He never asks for gas money. He and his wife always protest when I give them money for their birthdays. I know I should be paying for some gas. It’s now $4.99 a gallon here for regular unleaded and my son uses the premium because that’s what his car calls for. I recently moved into town. The rent at my other apartment went up and I couldn’t afford it. I managed to find an apartment in a senior citizen’s apartment building. It’s not the Ritz, but it’s clean and I’m comfortable. It’s an efficiency apartment. Small, but adequate. I don’t know what people are going to do. Things are so outrageously expensive. I don’t know how people with children are supposed to make it. You have to keep your kids busy to keep them out of trouble, but everything is so costly. Ma’am, I hope you find another job soon. And I hope that gas prices moderate soon. They won’t with the summer holidays coming up. The price gougers want to grab that almighty dollar. But if you were working, maybe you’d have a fighting chance. Maybe your mom can be helped to combine her errands like I do. Try to do everything in one day. My son and I usually start Friday mornings at 7:00. I’m usually done and back home no later than 8:30. 9:30 if I have a doctor’s appointment. And that’s in another town. I don’t ask my son to take my dog and me to the vet. He’s obsessive/compulsive clean and has a thing about not getting dog hair in his car. There’s a place here in town called For Paws Unleashed that runs a multi-service pet business. That includes a pet taxi. So when my Channa has to go to the vet, I just make arrangements with For Paws to take us. It costs some, but it’s worth it. But I’m rambling. That’s where my money goes. I’m chronically broke. It’s probably that way for everybody who’s disabled like me, retired like me-over 65, and otherwise on a fixed income. Hang in there. That’s all anyone can do.

4 Likes

Tell her it’s either gas money or no ride :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

I don’t think you are wrong to ask for gas money. My mom has always gave my husband gas money even when it was not so expensive . Not because he ask…because she knows we don’t have extra $ for gas and she wants to. She also pays him to mow her lawn.

1 Like

For nine months she carried you no charge For the sleepless nights when you where sick no charge For all the times she put your needs before hers no charge

8 Likes

Tell her you have no money for gas right now and if she says anything say I would but I am not working and money is tight Sorry.

2 Likes

Breakdown your income vs bills and include gas and what not…

3 Likes

But I don’t ask my mom for that. She’s given so much really…

She needs to help out with gas. My mother in law doesn’t drive so my husband runs her around when gas was cheap he never expected it. But when gas prices soared he asked if she could help and she has no problem

1 Like

She wouldn’t get a free ride from anyone else. Tell her gas money or no rides. And you didn’t ask to be born; raising you was her responsibility.

10 Likes

It’s your Mom! Who cares? Give her the damn ride regardless!

My mother in law is recovering from skin cancer and currently doing immunotherapy. My mom has ppms and she’s almost a quadriplegic. One day you’ll regret letting the little things get to you.

1 Like

Borrow. Some money. Find a side hustle. That’s your mom!!!

3 Likes

If anyone else took her(bus,lyft, cab) she would have to pay so why should she not have to pay you

1 Like

It’s not wrong to ask for money for gas. Your mom is taking advantage of you. As for her raising you and not asking for anything in return, that was her job. You didn’t ask to be born.

12 Likes

If she didn’t ask for anything In return then what is a ride? Lol

4 Likes

She should not have said that to you. If my kids let me know they need me to contribute to gas even if it’s on a rare occasion I would do it without taking offense. Now if I was asking for rides I would straight up offer an amount to them for gas, without question.

1 Like

She never asks for anything in return, but she asks for rides every where. Lol.

2 Likes

I would never ask my mom for gas money. I would however discuss limiting trips while things are tight. Instead of going shopping weekly make it biweekly etc.

2 Likes

Depends on the person I guess, I would never in a million years ask my mom for gas money for a ride.

1 Like

Talk to her. She is your mom and should definitely understand.

Pay her the same respect back don’t ever ask for anything in return works both ways chuck x

1 Like

You have no job and car doesn’t run on air.She has to give gas money.