Is it wrong of me to ask my parents to watch their dog while my child is eating?

Is it unreasonable to ask that my parents keep their dog away from my child while he’s eating? They act like I’m over reacting every time I ask because it’s “their” house… but the dog steals his food unless I’m sitting right on top of him and even then he STILL TRIES IT.

239 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Is it wrong of me to ask my parents to watch their dog while my child is eating? - Mamas Uncut

No it’s not rude. I do animal rescue and we would want you to but we also wouldn’t put a dog around child eating in public without leash or crated.

nope. they need to train the dog better too :woman_shrugging:t4:

Heck no you aren’t wrong. That dog needs training. I would keep asking, matter of fact DEMAND it.

2 Likes

It’s their house. Don’t eat there if this is a problem. Their house their dog !

4 Likes

It’s not unreasonable but they don’t have to do it.

1 Like

Somebody needs to teach that dog to behave. If it’s not them, then it looks like it’s up to you.

5 Likes

I’d put the dog outside until your son has eaten. :slightly_frowning_face: parents dog or not they should know better.

6 Likes

No I agree they need to train the dog or we won’t come

3 Likes

I wouldn’t attend their home ever again they trust that dog to much your child could one day be hurt

8 Likes

Our cat did that & we had to lock him in the bathroom when we ate until we trained him to sit & not try to steal it…:rofl:… if we can train our cat, they should do better with their dog… especially when it comes to stealing a child’s food

4 Likes

The dog should be trained that I can agree with
But their dog their house
Go home and eat
My mama had dogs when her kids moved out and they became her babies and she let us know it

1 Like

Fine. Give them a choice. Choose their grandson or their dog. Maybe they might have a point that it’s their house n dog. But baby their grandson. U can figure out a few ways. 1stly move out with baby. 2nd if that is not feasible. Get a playpen either surround baby while eating or da dog.

3 Likes

No! Why don’t they teach their dog to go into another room or outside ? The dog should know not to beg or take food that isn’t in its bowl🤬

4 Likes

Hell know it’s called respect an safety for your child if they don’t understand leave

3 Likes

I’m wondering why their ok with letting this happen to begin with :thinking:

7 Likes

I live with my aunt and her dog was the same way. She jumped on my youngest, knocked her over constantly by jumping on her (she’s a big dog and my youngest is 1.5) and I felt I had no leg to stand on since it wasn’t my house or dog.
I started snapping my fingers whenever she got around my daughter and if that didn’t work, I’d pop her butt. Eventually, she put the snap with the pop and realized the snap was a warning.

I put my big dogs out side when grand babies are eating… for #2 my dogs do not get human food … #1 my grand babies will always come first…

10 Likes

Not at all. This teaches the dog he can take food from kids and can lead to food aggression, which in turn can lead to the dog eventually biting your child when your child is old enough to try and stop him himself. I’ve trained and rehabilitated dogs for over a decade. This is one of the most important rules to raising babies with dogs, teach them both to respect each other’s space when eating to avoid an attack.

10 Likes

No! You are right! This could be a very dangerous situation for your child! Unless they can control their dog it should not be anywhere near your child while he has any food! If they can’t or won’t ensure your child’s safety then I’m sorry but I would not bring my child to their home. Obviously their dog is spoiled. This is a very dangerous potential issue. Please be careful! P S we’ve owned large dogs and never had this problem. So we know from experience that this is not good! Please please protect your child!.:pray::pray::pray:

2 Likes

Is it wrong that an adult mom doesn’t know her parents get to set the rules in their house, especially for their own daughter, the same way the adult mom would get to at her house? Is this writer living with her parents?

Also, if the dog eats some of your child’s Cheerios, that doesn’t sound like the end of the world.

Even the folks telling the author’s parents how to train their own dog are out of line. If it’s not your dog or your house, you don’t get to make the rules for either.

5 Likes

No, my parents little dog is always trying to steal our kids food, but if we get onto their dog we are the bad guys and told, “he just wants a small piece” there was one time he stole food out of my 5 year old son’s hand or off his plate and made him cry. My parents didn’t do anything but I did and I got yelled at for scolding their dog

2 Likes

No, it isn’t being unreasonable. When my kids and I are over at my parents house eating dinner, and one of their dogs is all in my kids’ space while they’re trying to eat, I get onto the dog myself; my parents did not bring up us kids like that to have a dog steal and beg from your plate, but rather sit away and wait their turn.

4 Likes

If my kid is at my parents house my mom and dad is always watching their dogs when my son eats because there the same way try’s to steal food

1 Like

Your parents should give the dog a boot up the bum for doing that to there grandchildren st8 up

3 Likes

i dont think you are unreasonable at all , my grandkids come before my dog any day , some times even the best of dogs can get aggressive when it comes to food

3 Likes

:100: agree with you and it’s also unhygienic :face_vomiting:

4 Likes

No Ur not Hun for many reasons x

1 Like

NOT very good grandparents!!!

2 Likes

Dogs are supposed to be kenneled while your eating. It’s just gross with hair flying around etc. I remember when my mom had a daycare she got in trouble for having our pugs out while the kids were eating.

2 Likes

You really should be right on top of him while hes eating tho, especially if hes a toddler still but tbh I kept the kiddos at the table while they are eating (I was not on board with the cleaning that came with kids walking around with food LOL)

2 Likes

Wow! I’m a dog lover and this is to much for me. The owner needs to watch the dog or put them up till mealtime is over. Unacceptable!

2 Likes

My kid wouldn’t be at “their” house. Not in that situation.

1 Like

Your parents should be more considerate of their grandchild.

3 Likes

It’s their house

1. Move, if they don’t GAF
  2. Don’t go over there anymore if you don’t live with them
    Disrespect is disrespect
1 Like

Not unreasonable but is your child sitting on the floor or something? It’d probably help to have the child sitting at a table too. If on the floor or lower to the ground, that may be confusing the dog since most ppl eat out of their reach.

3 Likes

You’re not being unreasonable. They need to pull their dog up on it. That’s poor behaviour to let a dog have especially with children around.

Ugh dogs are so food driven i hate it. The behavior can be corrected but easier when the mutt is younger. My dog would go lay down in her crate the second she saw me with a plate of food and she wouldnt even dare search for crumbs/scraps after i was finished eating. You just have to be on it and put some work into correcting that horrible behavior. I hope your parents can figure something out. Sorry about that happening to you lass.

2 Likes

It’s not only unhygienic but there’s a possibility the dog might bite your child
I’m pretty sure you’ll think he’d never do that but at the end of the day the dog is just an animal and that’s what they do when they really want something to eat
Is it possible to put the dog in another room while your child is eating dogs shouldn’t be fed while we’re eating it creates bad habits

6 Likes

Ma’am let’s not forget the fact that toddlers like to feed animals so Yeah I mean come on now… I’m pretty sure the dog isn’t just out right stealing your kids food

8 Likes

Is your child eating at the table ? If not maybe the child should! Maybe it’s time to move out of parents home! I’m not really a dog person but I know not to get into it with people and thr pups!

3 Likes

It’s not wrong, it’s completely reasonable. They shouldn’t need to be asked that.

5 Likes

No! My dog bit me at 2 years old when eating chips

You are over reacting it’s their house. Stop acting entitled . Just like if you asked them to watch your kid their house their rules. Enough is enough they are doing you a favor

10 Likes

This is food aggression by the dog and it is not a case of if your child will be bitten but when. I don’t know if you live there or are just visiting but take your child to a separate room and close the door when feeding. Make sure to clean the child to erase all food odors. Some people consider their pets as children and don’t believe the animal will attack. My grandson has had 13 surgeries on his face from a family pet who " wouldn’t hurt a fly". If the worst happens, remember they have home owners insurance.

13 Likes

Both my dogs are beggars but when my grandkids are here we have to put them up the 2 dogs get aggressive with each other and fight once they got into a bad fight pinned my granddaughter up against a cabinet/countertop because one dog purposely knocked her plate of food out her hands both dogs was bleeding :drop_of_blood: from the attack on each other both got a good old fashioned whoopin now get fed separately and when companies over to eat they get put in a cage

2 Likes

If anything put the dog outside while kid eats and if they let dog back in you take your child and leave and as youre leaving you state until they can control their animal you’re not going to be back and their dog is not allowed in your home either

2 Likes

Um there house there dog’s house. That being said you have to decide what is ok and what is not, just remember you don’t get to dictate what goes on in someone else’s home. Don’t like how they run their home then stay away.

4 Likes

Did you grow up with a dog? I just want to know

2 Likes

If it was your house they were at with their dog then I would say you are being reasonable. But seeing as how you are at their house (or even if you are living in their house) then you are the one being unreasonable. While you may not agree with them, it is still their house, and as such it is their choice. Either leave to eat or move. :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

No,keep your child safe and if they don’t understand keep him or her at home,I’m hard when it comes to kids,have 8 and 22 grand babies

6 Likes

You know, sometimes it really makes me wonder do y’all love your pets more than your kids? Cause that’s how some of these comments across as.

19 Likes

A dog should never be in a room when a child is eating
Ever.

10 Likes

The day a dog attempt to touch my kids food is the day that dog will have to go to dog heaven. :joy:

5 Likes

If that dog is stealing your son’s food. Lock it in a room yourself or bring it outside. Bring your own child into another room to separate that dog from tour child??

Do you live there as well? Or just visiting? If you are sitting right there i doubt they are watching your kid for you
Record the dog constantly stealing your childs food and show the parents. They need to teach their dog more manners

2 Likes

It’s unreasonable of them to let an animal move around near a child that has food. We had a senior pug mix that we rescued that wanted whatever food we were eating and would try to get it! We had to put him in his carrier or shut him in the bedroom when we ate in the dining room! He was food aggressive per our vet and could bite to get his way

1 Like

It is their house. You should make sure the child eats.

You’re being even more irresponsible than your parents by continuing to go over there. No, it’s not ok that they the put their grandchild in an unsafe position. But they don’t think it’s unsafe ( as irrational as it is). You realize it is and continue to take him their house and hope for the best.

5 Likes

Get a water spray bottle… One quick squirt( mist) will shock it away

1 Like

The people here aproving of this dog behavior is exactly why so many dogs get put down when they finally bite. If a dog is taking food away from a baby and they definitely WILL even the best dogs. Owner awareness and training is a must with any animal. If you are living there and paying bills, yes they should remove the dog, they should even do so as a dog owner with care.for their grand. Food aggression usually ends badly. Maybe start feeding the baby in your room until they ask why and honestly tell them.

10 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with putting dog in another room. My dog is the biggest mouch. But in the high chair in kitchen my dog is always sitting underneath to clean up messes :rofl:

We lock our own dogs away when we eat for that very reason. Who needs the stress while trying to relax with a meal. If they can’t at least put the dog in the laundry for 15 minutes while your son eats that’s very unreasonable on their part.

10 Likes

I love my dog to death but I love my son WAY more so when it’s time for him to sit in his highchair and eat, the dog goes outside or goes to the bedroom and gets shut in there, he does not get to come back out until my son is completely done eating. EVERY SINGLE TIME! 

6 Likes

Your child your duty to watch him around the dog!

5 Likes

I cannot stand people that do not train their dogs. If you are going to take on this responsibility then you need to fulfill it. Dogs that beg or are all up on you while you’re eating are absolutely unacceptable in my eyes. And yes, I have dogs. I’ve always had dogs my entire life, and not one would ever dare try and snatch some food out of my hand, my child’s hand, off their plate, or otherwise. Dogs can all be trained. Every single 1 of them. Your parents are being irresponsible with their pet, but since it’s their house if you don’t like that I wouldn’t go there. You cannot make somebody be a responsible pet owner, ESPECIALLY in their own home. You can avoid irresponsible pet owners though.

Tell them to train there dog better

2 Likes

I would take the dog and put him in another room or tie him outside myself so the kid can focus on eating since your parents dont want to do anything about it. I dont think its an unreasonable, dogs shouldnt have random human food or steal it…it’s not cute when people dont properly train their dogs. It can make them aggressive enabling this type of behavior.

6 Likes

My dog sits next to any child with food, but will not attempt to take the food if the child is there and listens when told no or go away. If the child walks away from said food though then it’s free game. My dog is also trained to allow any type of human, adult, child and toddler alike to take food straight out of her mouth (because, toddlers :woman_facepalming:). She will even surrender her food to other dogs. That said, if this dog doesn’t care nor listen to instruction regarding food, I would put your food down around the dog being around while your child eats, and if they can’t accept that then maybe you have to make the choice of not having your child eat there as long as the dog is there.

1 Like

No it’s not wrong of you especially if that dog isn’t trained with it. I can’t stand when dogs are around me or my kids while they are eating and they’re like begging and stuff I always put my dog out so he doesn’t snatch when I look away

Move
It is their house and if your child is small enough for the dog to take his food you should probably be supervising him anyway :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

I would keep my child away from the dog.
They are right, it’s thier home & thier dog.
However.
That’s your baby too!
So as someone else suggested, either stop bringing your baby over to their house aka don’t feed him over there anymore.
OR
If you do stay there then remove your son & yourself from the situation. Take baby to the bedroom and close the door while he eats.
Then if they ask why, tell them why.

5 Likes

Depends on where your child is sitting to eat. Highchair? Booster seat on the dining room table? Or on the floor in the kitchen? Sitting in front of the tv with a lap tray watching cartoons? How old is the child? For me, children should not be left alone to eat by themselves for many reasons, choking risk is the main reason, some adults like to eat alone, but do little kids? Make this a time to interact with your child. IF the child is in a highchair or dining room table chair then there shouldn’t be a problem with Fido. In our house, food was eaten at the kitchen/dining room table, that’s where it’s meant to be eaten. Not all families do this, to each their own. But if you do choose to have your child eating somewhere Fido can “steal” their food, time to move kiddo to the table.

5 Likes

Take your baby and go eat somewhere else with the door closed. Your parents will get the message.

3 Likes

I allways put our dog away while my grandson eats hes 6 now ,my older teenagers they get stared at by the dog as do i ,but allways move away when grandson about ,shes very boisterous and young so not entirely her fault but easier for them both ,he has a dog at home so used to dogs xx

1 Like

You should watch your child while he eats & your parents need to show the dog to not beg or steal human food so both of yall are wrong.

2 Likes

The ones who are saying your child you watch then aren’t getting it. The child is eating and the dog tries to take the food from them. Whether she’s sitting right there or not. The dog may be doing it aggressively or scaring the child in any case. If she’s sitting there and the dog is still trying to take the child’s food then she’s watching her child, but dogs owners aren’t paying mine at all. Put your foot down, remove the dog from the room in whatever way best for the child to eat and if they have a problem with it explain to them that a child eating is more important than their feelings

9 Likes

Absolutely not. Also for safety reasons. Idc how goof a dog is, children, food and or bones = never a good mix

2 Likes

Tell your parents since they can’t respect your request you won’t be going over there anymore. My ex’s grandma would allow the same thing. One day she watched my son because I had a Dr appt. I really didn’t want to leave him with her but since his uncle and aunt were there too I figured he would be ok for my 1hr appt.My son, who was 1.5 yro at the time had eaten before I brought him so I told her not to feed him, I would when I get back because he just ate, and I get a call, the dog bit my son in the face splitting my son’s lip (She had gave my son food in his highchair) Her dalmatian bit my son over food he was eating. She refused to let me take my son to the ER because she “didn’t want the dog put down” and to this day my son is 16 and still has the visible scar. I would not be taking the child back over there.

4 Likes

I teach my kids to leave any animal alone while they are eating, kinda like just respecting their space, but Im also teaching our pup to do the same when the kids are eating or have food because I believe it should go both ways. Our dog is only 4 months old and she will follow the kids around sometimes when she knows they have food but she’s getting better everyday about it.

2 Likes

I keep seeing people say that the dog can not reach if the child is in a highchair

Did I miss where they said the type of dog or are people just assuming small dog? Because if never clarified this could be a large dog that can reach. Some dogs (such as great danes) can even reach the top of the fridge, plenty of them can reach a table (pit, mastiff, great Dane, Australian shepherd, etc)

6 Likes

Spray bottle with 50/50 lemon juice and water. After a few sprays to the face, the dog will stop.

4 Likes

Your defiantly correct

2 Likes

I find it sad as a grandmother myself that they’d allow that. I wouldn’t allow our dogs to do that. They’re trained not to beg for food and no allowed in the dinning area while we eat.

4 Likes

Kids and dogs and food do not mix. You sit with your child to make food time a positive experience and take the argument away.

4 Likes

Don’t take your child there. Set boundaries

4 Likes

No, my daughter feels the sane and I will lock the dogs up for her :woman_shrugging:t3: a few minutes so everyone can eat in peace is a win/win for me.
Ps and my dogs are my babies and sleep on my bed etc but I still put them away as needed :woman_shrugging:t3:

5 Likes

That’s dog needs to be trained.
I’d put him up somewhere simply for safety reasons. The dog will be fine for 30mins.
Not training him now can cause aggression issues later.

2 Likes

Dogs should be outdoors unless toy or small which should be in another room or inclosure when people are eating you may have to not visit until they get the message or invite to yours and no meals at there’s.

8 Likes

Not unreasonable. I would avoid them if I could and not let them have the baby to look after because that will happen while your not around. It’s a safety risk and the child could also be bitten if he tries to keep the food that the dog wants.
They are being complete jerks and plain disrespectful for the health and safety of your child. They sound unfit to take care of any children, ever.

7 Likes

Can you not put the dog away for a bit?

2 Likes

Some of y’all in these comments make me feel bad for the people around you :joy:

2 Likes

why is he eating there? n yes i would say something or stop letting child eat at there house

Lol my daughters Would straight out Tell me something if dog was eating my grandkids food no ifs buts Or and’s lol :joy:

4 Likes

Not at all, I have to keep my eyes on my dog while my son is eating because she’ll take his food, either that or I have to kennel her while he’s eating.

2 Likes

Omg they are so in the wrong here.

I would do whatever I could now to prepare for getting out of my parents house.

That would P#%# me off too. They need to be responsible before the dog bites your baby

1 Like

As someone who has been bit in the face, eye specifically, during food aggression as a kid… I am very against my dog to be directly “on top of me/in my personal space” or begging in general with anyone, especiallywith my son… Even if I hadn’t of been bit, I’d still be the same way. There is no reason dogs, cats or any animals need to be begging or trying to steal food (unless being starved, then I can understand). I’d not allow my child to eat over there or put the dog up yourself.

4 Likes

You’re the mom!! You call the shots girl