Is it wrong of me to ask my parents to watch their dog while my child is eating?

You are not wrong. I can’t stand that. When people don’t stop their dogs from jumping on you or trying to take your food that’s so irritating!

4 Likes

You are overreacting. Take the dog outside while the kid eats, take your kid into a different room for a peaceful eating, or just simply go to your own place where you won’t be bothered. Plus the kid is probably giving the dog food anyways all kids do to get the animals attention.

2 Likes

I personally hate this and I have 3 dogs myself they get put in another room or outside when we’re eating meals if theres anything left it then gets shared out between them but they know mral times is our time,put the dog outside or in another room,they should understand their grandchild needs to eat! The dog would just keep eating and eating.

My sister’s cat once put its paw into my nephews mouth to pull out a Dorito.

Nothing is sacred.

7 Likes

Nope. I’d be putting the dog outside when my kids ate.

No dog while child is eating whether its there house or yours … NOT RIGHT …:thinking::thinking::thinking:

3 Likes

Maybe suggest to them to feed him at the same time your child eats or YOU put the dog in another room or outside while he eats. Don’t ask permission. Just do it. I’m assuming y’all live there. If you don’t. Leave and eat at home.

2 Likes

That’s fine. My mom’s husbands dog actually made my son scared of them because he kept doing this. We’d end up putting him in their bedroom till he was done or I’d stay by his side guarding him from the dog. We ended up getting a dog a couple years later to get rid of his fright. It took some time but now he loves dogs again.

No you most definitely are not wrong.Im a dog lover but my pet hate is animals watching you eat and worrying you for food whilst eating.I used to stay with a family friend who’s dog used to put it’s head more or less on your plate,when I shooed it away I was told if you don’t like it you know what to do.So I did,I gave my Sunday dinner to the dog plate as well and l left.I am an animal person but don’t believe they should be hanging around whilst eating a meal,some people are fanatical over their animals and prefer them over their family at times it seems your parents saying it’s their house is suggesting they are not going to change the behavior they allow the dog to do so maybe ask them when your child is eating if she can eat somewhere away from the dog if they won’t put the dog elsewhere then compromise and move your child instead as I’m sure she loves to be with her grandparents but I see where you are coming from and would say something and see if a compromise can be met.:kissing_heart:

2 Likes

I had this issue living with my dad. It’s a lose lose because it was blamed on en

That’s not a safe environment for your child. I’ve seen kids get bit because of this.

3 Likes

You’re not wrong. The dog should be put in another room while your child eats. Or your child should be provided with a place to eat where the dog can’t get to him such as a high chair or at the table. I’m a dog lover, but their dog should be taught manners.

8 Likes

Shoot if I lived in my parents home and their dog did this I’d take that dog to a room and shut the door every time my child ate, so my child could eat unless you have a place for the child to eat that had a gate or way to keep the dog from your child. Or put the dog outside myself. So many possibilities and none of them include my parent doing anything with their animal. And if my parent didn’t like it I’d be working on the fastest way out of their home.

5 Likes

no your NOT wrong… ANYthing that makes your kid or u feel uncomfortable needs to be RESPECTED so scream it out cuz fck society!! ppl are trying to guilt/judge ppl cuz its your “family” but fck that cuz “family” are the worst, most toxic damn ones half the time!! toxic is toxic and needs to go, i would be pissed too! ppl need to RESPECT ppls boundaries

I’d be mad even if he didn’t steal the food if the dog is near your child while he’s trying to eat. The dog shouldn’t even be around your child while he’s eating. I have 3 dogs… 2 large and one small and we taught them from puppies to not bother us while eating! It’s unsanitary no matter how clean you keep your dogs. You are not over-reacting! BTW: my dogs are like my children too, but I taught my children manners, and my dogs the same!

5 Likes

I live alone with my small , very spoiled jack russell. She wont steal from my plate but she will try from my grandchildren when they visit . I think its a pack thing. She knows im boss but thinks they are fair game to steal from…so the kids and the dog are supervised closely until they all learn boundaries.
When my own children were small they ate in highchairs and the dog at the time sat underneath waiting for dropped food but couldn’t reach to steal.

3 Likes

Oh no. Noooo. They’re being ridiculous not being concerned and not stopping that from happening. I love animals but why create a situation that can turn into something else. Dogs need to know their place. I don’t think it needs to be outside or anything. They just need to control it. Make the dog go lay down or lay in a crate if it has a hard time controlling itself. Find something that works for everyone. If not then I just wouldn’t stay long enough to eat.

3 Likes

Just put the dog outside or in another room. Or stop visiting your parents until they figure it out. My fiance moved in with his husky and we have to put him in the bedroom while we eat or he steals food from my toddler.
Every so often we leave him out but the moment he goes for the highchair we put him away.

Don’t rely on your parents to take care of their dog, if they knew anything about owning a dog they’d know why this is bad behaviour from their dog.

5 Likes

If they can’t properly monitor their dog then they need to do better regardless if it’s their house or not - that’s also extremely unhealthy for the dog and can cause health issues down the line

2 Likes

Does your child sit in a high chair or at the table? Is the dog on the table? How is the dog stealing food? I have dogs and children and the dogs will try to get food from my kids if they are walking around with it. The kid usually offers the food so generously which is a whole different issue. But if they are at he table the dogs will sit on the floor and wait.

2 Likes

Every time the dog stole your kids food squirt your parents with water as you would the dog for being naughty

12 Likes

Unfortunately in someone else’s home, you just need to be on top of your child to eat. If they were visiting with their dog it would be different.

5 Likes

My parents always correct their dog if she’s begging or trying to steal food. Dogs need to be properly trained. If your parents refuse to see that and do what’s right then I’d stop bringing my child over there.

7 Likes

Most certainly not okay.

Nice backhand wouldn’t go astray for that dog. Yuk I’d be annoyed aswel.

1 Like

Umm. No. My moms dog is the same way. She’s usually put up during meal times.

1 Like

I’m afraid I would have to put my foot down on the issue! There is no way I’m going to let the dog take the food from my child or let my parents think it’s ok. I wouldn’t be rude about it but I would definitely let them know I’m upset and unless the behavior is corrected I won’t be visiting much.

Eat at your own house.that dog eventually will bite your kid!

5 Likes

Get your own house solves that problem…

4 Likes

No they are being ridiculous

People are ridiculous with their animals. I don’t trust dogs around food period. I try not to go to ppls house that have dogs. My BFF has a pit bull that she locks up every single time. He’s a good dog too but still an unpredictable animal. I’d be pissed too. Like come get your DOG away from my KID.

6 Likes

I tell people they are allowed to correct my pups. Push them away, tell them no, heck swat their toosh if u told them multiple times as long as you don’t use excessive force but correct it while it’s happening don’t wait on me please

6 Likes

Not out of line at all. Maybe just don’t eat at their house? Idk. My dogs know better. Generally as soon as I begin pulling plates from the cabinet to set the table, my dogs head to their rooms. Dogs can be taught manners.

4 Likes

Your child!! Enough said

Absolutely not. If you can’t control the animal then contain it. It’s that simple. Your parents should have more respect for your baby then that.

4 Likes

Tell your parents to visit at your house … then it’s your rule’s

4 Likes

Your child your rules but also its their home. If you don’t like what your parents allow in their home then don’t go.

5 Likes

I get paid over $150+ per hour w0rking from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 22687 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

===> https://homecash52.netlify.app/

My dog waits under the table for someone to drop food as if we he doesn’t get fed all day long. Its an instinct, dogs do it. You don’t like it then don’t eat there anymore.

3 Likes

Why are Dog People like this?

3 Likes

Don’t take him over anymore

Nope I love my animals but 100 percent absolutely not this is how dog aggression with food start and that deadly for children :dizzy_face::persevere::woman_facepalming:t3::warning:you need to sit down and look how do aggression with food start how many children die every year from this “ALOT” dog that we’re family dog of all ages dog that never had a mean bone this is a instinct thing !! And you need to be very careful with animals and children dog are dog at the end of the day and have animal instincts just like humans those kick in some
Times out of the blue

3 Likes

Nope. Our dog isn’t allowed in the kitchen while we eat for this reason. He knows better but still tries and it bothers me.

I hate begging dogs in general. My dogs don’t beg, and if very rarely they do I shame them by saying “nasty f*** begger” and they go to their time out spots. But not your house. Don’t like it don’t eat there. Have them visit at your house so it will be your rules.

1 Like

Oh wow. I was always taught that a dog has no Business in a persons plate or face while
That person is trying to eat. On top of the fact the dog steals the food.

Wow I wonder what ur parents are thinking?
They’re clearly in the wrong here.

Just stay firm with it. U know ur correct. If it continues stop going over there for a while.

4 Likes

Definitely not unreasonable.

1 Like

I have a feeling there is more to this story than what is being said, Why is the child NOT eating at the table? Do you and your child live there. It’s your parents house and I would guess that they feed the dog while they are eating. So yes you are wrong for asking your parents to keep their dog from your child while eating, why don’t you keep your child at the table while eating.

2 Likes

People with animals can be ridiculous. I have dogs and a cat, but they’re still animals to me. People who put them on the same level as people is weird and disgusting. Idk why is so hard to put a line between the 2, sometimes it borders on mental issues, i swear :unamused:. But just don’t take him over anymore. Its unsanitary and gross to have an animal lick your hands, food, plate, etc, NOT cute.

8 Likes

Put the kid at the table sounds like the child is running around with food or sitting on the couch with food. Sounds like you live with them and in that case their house their rules. Kids throw food to dogs all the time. Plus this does not mean food aggression like so many other comments are stating. This is a dog that’s been allowed human food. I have a mastiff and a mutt my kid sneaks them food all the time under the table. But my kid also eats only at the table they can’t reach up on the table so no worries their. Every person treats their animals different can’t dictate how you want the dog treated. My suggestion is to move/stop going over during food time and call it a day.

1 Like

If you have your own home just stop eating over there. If you have to live with them then I don’t really have any advice. You’re not unreasonable.

2 Likes

Nah. Dogs shouldn’t be allowed to harass someone eating BUT if you know it’s a problem why not start making it a fun thing to do? You could set up picnics outside and learn about what you see while he eats and he’d be removed from the doc situation. Think about it like this though, if she was at YOUR house and told you what to do you’d be annoyed. Sisters are like that :woozy_face::woozy_face:

1 Like

No…as a gramma I absolutely watch my dogs while my grandsons are eating.

4 Likes

One that dog needs to be taught to wait and sit for food not just take it from the plate or kids hands. When we had two pups and over night sit my mom’s dog for her once a while when she goes out of the part of the state we live in… Anyways, when we first got it, one of us would as the kids sat down to eat get the dog side tracked with it’s food, sometimes add a little flavor or a special treat in the bottom for him/her. He slowly realized that once they are done and it’s been dumped into his bowl he can eat it but he has to wait. I sometimes saved it for the following morning (nothing was eating by the dog to harm the dog).

2 Likes

Sit with the child or eat at home before you go to granny’s!

1 Like

This is why I don’t have any pets because my children’s food is the most important meal

6 Likes

Nope, absolutely not over reacting. It’s one thing for the dog to come in when they hear food hitting the floor, a whole different, potentially dangerous situation when they’re stealing the food from the table/high chair.

3 Likes

My dad and my inlaws always put their dogs behind babygates when my kids are over (mostly because my son is scared of most dogs especially really energetic dogs) or they put them outside (then if we are all outside my son is ok with them cus there is lots of space so he doesn’t have to be near them)

I don’t think your being unreasonable especially if you are just asking for it to be done while your kid eats

1 Like

Why are Dog People like this?
You are not in the wrong, dog people are crazy. Dogs shouldn’t be allowed to steal food from people or even have their heads near the food. That dog needs training.

11 Likes

NO it’s not unreasonable. The dogs go out or in kennels at supper time! Human food is not healthy for dogs and this behavior of taking food is bad and can lead to other bad situations. Dogs are food driven animals and over time will snap or over come the child thinking it has food. Have a conversation with your parents…If your parents value their dogs more than the grandchild defiantly remove yourself and your child from the situation!

9 Likes

Honestly I’d be putting the dog outside while he eats or putting up a baby gate…
We have a crate for this. My dog adores the kids but the baby always tries to feed him so he goes to lay down :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

No, they need to watch the dog especially if they know the dog steals food. Your child needs his food.

2 Likes

I’m a grandparent and our small dog doesn’t take food away but does like to set by and wait very quietly for us to drop her something .If it’s just my grandchild , husband and me . We put her in a fenced gate or sun room if we have a lot of company just so everyone can eat in peace ; but if she was trying to take my granddaughter food the pup would definitely be in cage or sun room while child eating . Actually dogs are suppose to be trained and stay away while people are eating.

Not unreasonable at all the baby needs to eat and what if the dog accidentally nips their hand or face

Make your kid eat at the table. Or in a high chair. In experience kids love to feed dogs, and I’m willing to be your kid is no different, and it’s not that the dog is stealing the food (at least all time) and the the kid is giving the food. But if you don’t like it, move out.

2 Likes

My mom watches my kids on Mondays she has 4 dogs the adult dogs know not to take food and the puppies r learning but of course sometimes jump up so my parents redirect them. My 4 year old still drops food for them he thinks it’s funny

2 Likes

If it’s their house n you live there it’s up to them. If your visiting dont unless they agree to put the dog up. Mines annoying when we eat n sits under the table, she doesn’t beg she just makes her presence known. So when we have company I put her in my daughter’s room & she sleeps.
But I’d feel funny asking my friends/family to put their dogs up, thankfully it never happened & our friends always ask before we get there.

1 Like

Probably be best for you to get your own house💁‍♀️

3 Likes

I mean , you at someone else’s house ? You can’t make the rules :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Absolutely not. A nasty mouth dog has no business around a child’s food. Damn

Keep dogs away from kids especially when they are eating. If your parents like their dog more than their grand baby let the dog keep them company. I’d never bring my child to see them again.

Nope not at all my mom has always put her dogs away at dinner time. They go and eat their dinner

A responsible pet owner would watch the dog or as a parent speak up or lock the dogs up!! I have had some thug life dogs…and cats who feel rules dont apply!! So I am on it!! Wanna sit and act all wounded because we are saying go lay down too bad!! I do the same at family home if they dont catch them I do!!

Untrained dogs should always be kept away from children that are eating. They could become aggressive at any time and without warning. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask of them. I would suggest training their dog if they’re going to have one.

3 Likes

Not wrong at all! If my grandbaby was eating, my dog wouldn’t be allowed near my grandbaby!
Plus our dogs are trained not to beg or come over to us while we’re eating.

1 Like

My parents dog and our dog always go somewhere else then where we afe eating till aftee

Fences make the best neighbors. Put up a fence. Or feed your dog inside. :dog2:

You think they would put the child before the dog

1 Like

Erm. Don’t bring him over if they can’t control their dog. Pretty simple fix. They ask why you haven’t been over, tell them that their dog takes your child’s food and you are tired of it. Unless you live with them then there’s not much you can do except get your own place.

4 Likes

they need to train there dog

1 Like

No you are not wrong,because i am a grand parent and i watch my grand baby,and i myself have a little boston terrior that is very spoiled and tries to steal the babies food,so i watch him,and dont allow him to,or i lock him in another room til shes done eating

3 Likes

Why don’t you just lock the dog up

I never kept my cat away

Don’t go if they won’t put the dog out or stop it from doing it then let them come to you

1 Like

It’s definitely a reasonable request but seems your parents have proven to be very unreasonable so they most likely won’t change anything or train their dog so you need to just make sure you are there to correct the dog when it tries to take the kid’s food

1 Like

Move the dog yourself?

Sit your kid at a table where the dog can’t reach the food. Simple solution

3 Likes

It’s not a bad thing to ask. It’s bad to allow a dog to have that tendency tho.

He’s a dog,he’ll always try!!

2 Likes

No. I run my dad’s dog off when he tries to get in their face… i would my own If he did… some dogs we’ve had in the past, have got really aggressive over food… don’t go over and if they ask why, tell them… kids 1st.

1 Like

Untrained dogs are def a liability around children and food. It can go from fine, to not fine in seconds. I’d put a boundary around it. The dog gets put up when my child is eating, or we won’t come over.

6 Likes

My dog tried to snatch food from my daughters hand and accidentally bit hwr fingers and i spanked her and told her she was a really bad dog and she never did it again. I do lock them up when i feed my son cuz he is much smaller and i get really anxious

How about putting the dog into another room or outside when you’re child is eating .

2 Likes

If it is their house, watch your child with the dog.

5 Likes

Absolutely not wrong.

My parents make their dogs go to their room when their eating. It’s safer for everyone and there’s less whining and begging from the dogs.

1 Like

You parents should of been the one to keep their dog away. what is wrong with them. it’s sad you have to bring it up to them

2 Likes

If they don’t want to keep their dog away from the child. Then I’d stop going over there. Sure it’s their house they can decided weather to watch their dog or not. But that’s your child and you can set boundaries and choose weather or not you keep showing up.
Dogs, children, and food don’t normally mix well.

8 Likes

First see if the child ever fed the dog from where he eats if not idk I mean it’s your parents house their rules … If it doesn’t bother you then sir with the child when he eats and teach/train the dog that it’s not ok . I’m sure your parents wouldn’t mind

1 Like

Have your kid at the table and eat , how big is the dog anyways

2 Likes

Tell the dog to sit and or go away and eat at the table

2 Likes