Is it wrong of me to ask my parents to watch their dog while my child is eating?

Leave some baby food out with some seriously hot red pepper sauce or something on it, obviously not for the baby

5 Likes

Nope my dog nows better I will tell him to get out of the kitchen while my kids our eating and to lay down I hate when dogs steal kids food. That just means the dog has no manners.

3 Likes

No it’s not wrong, there’s always a possibility of food agression. They thibk they know their dog but the fact is you neve k ow what’s going through a dog’s mind. I’ve seen extremely well behaved dogs flip out before and the owner thought they were the most well behaved dog ever. One day you kids could push it away and it could retaliate and bite them because they want that food so bad. It’s also bad manors for them to let their dog get in everyone’s face to mooch for food or for it to try to take food. My puppy tries that and I shoo her out of the kitchen everytime because I do t want her thinking it’s ok to do that when people come over.

3 Likes

They can’t put dog in backyard for a few minutes? Jeez parents… My family pits their dog outside (mainly when eating) when we come over. No asking. They just do. Its respectful.

2 Likes

That’s ridiculous put the dog in another room and shut the door,the kid is a priority

3 Likes

Not at all. My dog isnt even allowed to beg. If Im eating and I catch him staring at me I tell him to go lay down. And actually taking food from someone (especially a baby) is very bad behavior.

4 Likes

I have ask my brother to keep the dogs away cause I know how my children are and he has no problem with it. He he asked me the same it wouldn’t be an issue. Young children and dogs sometimes don’t mix because both can be unpredictable. But if they refused then you have to accept it and not take your child over. I would rather someone be honest and tell me no then to lie and allow the dog and something happen. Kids get hurt and animals get put down.

1 Like

Fuck that dog.
They need to train it.

None of our dogs took food from the kids hands

I would stop going over there, at least at meal time. Yes it is their house but it is also their responsibility to train or at least manage their dog. No reason they couldn’t put him in another room or outside just while their grandbaby is eating. But like they said their house their rules. Most decent people would do this so their grandchild could eat but if they refuse stop going over at meal time. They can come to you or you go there after baby has eaten. To me it speaks volumes that they continue to allow their dog to steal their grandbabies food.

3 Likes

um it is VERY rude of your parents to allow their dog to be that close to ANYONE who is eating
dogs that sit there and beg, steal food, shohldnt be allowed to be near people who eat
my dogs do not come into the kitchen while we eat, they do not sit anywhere near anyone who is eating bc that is RUDE
no dog should beg like that and no dog should be stealing food like that period!
speak up!!!
either start yelling at the dog, and remove the dog yourself, or demand they put their dog in a diff room while people eat, or demand theu actually train their dog like they should have. its a PROBLEM
its horrible to have a dog breathing on you while you eat
its not nice to have a dog staring at you while you eat and it certainly isn’t acceptable at all if if a dog is taking food from anyone
speak up, use your voice, or make changes yourself!
yell at the dog, super loud, so they get the hint

i do it to my friends dogs, idc. i dont want a dog sitting at my feet while i eat period.
ive had my dogs my WHOLE life, and i wouldn’t allow that. EVER

if they get upset over something so minor, stop going over to make your point

Wow you can not control everyone give it up.

1 Like

It’s perfectly reasonable! Dogs should not even be in the same room while people are eating! My dog knows better than to beg! It’s just teaching animals proper obedience

3 Likes

It might be their house but this is how they treat family and guests? :flushed:
I wouldn’t want to go over there.

4 Likes

If they won’t do it, I’d just say we’ll be over after we feed him. Hopefully they’ll see it’s importance

Don’t eat over there. Eat before you go. Or leave when you get hungry.

I just wouldn’t eat there. You know your parents. Have you ever won an argument with them? Let them wonder why you quit coming by for dinner. See if they even care.

3 Likes

I agree with ya n im a a animal lover my dogs get scooted to another room

1 Like

I give the kids a spray bottle to keep my Dog at bay while eating. I can’t babysit the dog while they run around the house eating. They find it fun and the dog keeps his distance. We use the spray bottle when he tries begging at the table or in the kitchen. Very effective

3 Likes

I love dogs. but they have their place in the family. my dogs were never allowed to be with us when eating, I train them. but they also knew they get leftover goodies when we finished. no, speak up.

3 Likes

Girl, I’m sorry this is happening. But even my mom makes her dogs go to their room why my kiddos are over there eating. When I’m eating I don’t care on bit, cause I feed my fur bubba’s. But, when it comes to my kids, I don’t care who or what it is. You take my child food, and you become my food. The end. But, if peeps can’t respect your wishes with your child, parents or not don’t take the child over there. When I have my great niece at my home, I take my 4 fur babies to their room or outside til my baby girl is done eating. And it’s the same a t my MIL home as well. She makes my fur sissy go to her room or outside til done eating. It’s called who respects you and your child the most. Family or not. Don’t let them disrespect you. I have also seen in other comments their home get over it. Yeah that’s a bunch of BS, sorry not sorry. Even my extra mom and dad does the same, makes the dog go to their room or outside.

4 Likes

Put them in the yard. My dogs get crated or put in the backyard when we eat. The thought of dog hair in my food alone (from them moving or shaking off) makes me want to gag never mind them sleeping at our feet in hopes that we drop something. Wining or putting their face up on the table sniffing. No thanks. Out of the house or in crates for dinner time.

It’s not wrong. But if u don’t like it go home and feed your child

2 Likes

It’s their grandchild. They should care more about that. And also, the dog should be put up anyways while people are eating. I don’t let my dog hover around. That’s ridiculous.

1 Like

You’d all be clutching pearls at my house

1 Like

Let’s cry about dogs being treated like family

1 Like

No it is not wrong, that’s just common sense

4 Likes

No I think it’s a reasonable request

2 Likes

You are not being unreasonable

2 Likes

That’s disgusting. I wouldn’t eat there.

4 Likes

I’d just tell them that the dogs go out or the child will eat later at home. If they can’t respect that then just leave everytime it is dinner time.

5 Likes

I tell my kids not to let the dog near the food starting around age 4 they should have a voice strong enough to stop it

3 Likes

Put the dog outside for meal times

2 Likes

I love animals but I hate when I’m somewhere and I’m eating and the person had a dog who is in my face begging. I hate when did owners don’t treat their dog like a dog. I don’t care if they let their dog eat of their plate, let me eat in peace. That’s why I don’t eat there

6 Likes

No its not my kid can sit right next to mine with food and he just lays/sits there until I say he’s allowed and will normally have the scraps of whatever is left if he’s been good

2 Likes

Hate to say it if done said something to them and they think your over reacting then the next time the dog got close I would swat him with a rolled up newspaper. They will know then your not playing. No dog or cat should be near anyone food period. 

7 Likes

NOT WRONG AT ALL!!! You would think that they would keep it away because there’s a lot of foods out there that would make a dog sick, if eaten. IT’S THEIR BAD, NOT YOURS :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

ma’am no disrespect intended however this is the most menial thing I think I’ve ever heard… You are at your families home and you want your parents to watch their dog while your child eats why don’t you watch your child while your child eats… I mean how about that for an idea… I mean what are you doing that your parents have to watch the dog so your your child could eat why don’t you just stick around your child make sure your child can eat and don’t worry about the dog because you’re right there is simple ma’am common sense… Or either don’t go over there if you don’t like it or just don’t worry about it there’s way more bigger issues to worry about than that… If it were me and somebody said watch your dog so my kid can eat I would be like watch your kid so your kid can eat If it’s an issue

5 Likes

That dog needs better training. My kid could lay bacon on the floor in front of my dogs and they won’t touch it until she’s done and walks out of the room or we say it’s OK.

3 Likes

I can’t stand badly trained dogs and It’s Not the poor dogs fault . How can he or she learn not to do something it has never been trained for . I’ve had dogs most of my life and with children but I trained them . Not one of my dogs would dare go near anything in the kitchen or eating area So no you aren’t wrong for wanting them to do this

5 Likes

Dogs can get nasty with food. I’ve always swatted my dog quick and a firm “no!” worked until all I had to do was give them a dirty look and they got the hint. If the dog keeps stealing food, it thinks it’s okay and that it’s their food too. Then it turns into snapping over food. Train them while you’re ahead

I’d ask them to put the dog outside or let them know your going to leave.

My husband use to tell people they live here your just visiting.

2 Likes

No your not wrong and your definitely not overreacting by any means just don’t eat there anymore if there not going to respect your wishes and deal with there dog

No! It’s not wrong. I have done and would do it again.
But it is their house and if it bothers you, maybe you should think about that part.

Some parents are like that. Some parents will be over protective…and some, like my mom JUST did, will yell at my dogs because they farted and she doesn’t like to smell it.

But I have to remind her that my babies are sensitive and not to yell at them.

Would you put your kid away if people came over and they were doing something your visitors didn’t like? No because its their home and they are allowed to behave in thier home however they please thats acceptable to YOU. Same with the dog. Its the dogs home. You have no right to come in and demand they behave how YOU feel is appropriate. If you don’t like it you should find an alternative. Like a high chair. So the dog cant take food from the kid. Or, maybe, sit with your kid and watch them so there’s no problem.

My daughters dog does this to my granddaughter, at my daughters grandma’s house the dog is allowed under them while they eat, I hate her in the kitchen. She’ll snatch the babies food from her hand, she swears she’s starving🤦‍♀️ ugh it’s annoying so I make my daughter cage her while we eat

Oh na the dog needs to be taught that’s not ok. Maybe with ur olds coz it’s their dog but not anyone else. PLAIN RUDE.

the things we worry about. ugh. Simple solution find a spot in the house where your child won’t be bothered if your parents don’t put the dog away. Drama avoided. Then get over it and move on. Life is much simpler if we simply stop fretting over trivial things.