Is melatonin okay while pregnant?

I would talk to your GP or chemist everyone reacts differently to things

I take unisom- the doctor recommended it for my morning sickness and it works wonders. Iā€™ve never taken melatonin though

My OB said unisome and melatonin is safe and I took both in both my pregnancies

It occurs naturally in your body and you cannot over dose on it. Itā€™s one of those ones that if you have too much youā€™ll just pee out the extra. I would start Small tho. And also since it is one of those naturally occurring chemicals in your body- you cannot use it every night. Your body will start producing less of it on its own and then youā€™ll end up dependent on it to help you sleep.

I was told no from my OB

Before taking any otc med ASK YOUR DOCTOR

3 Likes

Melatonin isnt good in general as it can create a dependency on it. Magnesium supplement is better

1 Like

A small dose of benadryl is ok. Per my OB.

1 Like

Unisomā€™s active ingredient is the same as Benadryl. Itā€™s just 50mg of Diphenhydramine HCI instead of 25mg (A dose of Benadryl). Save yourself some money if you go this route and buy generic Benadryl.

1 Like

Unisom is safe during pregnancy

Melatonin and Benadryl are fine. I used bought through out all 3 pregnancies.

Magnesium or Unisom would be the safest. Obviously ask your doctor before you take anything.

Iā€™ve heard yes to both unisome and benedryl was told no for melatonin

Yes it is my ob told me to take it itā€™s completely natural

I would think it would be since your body naturally makes it but better check with your doctor.

1 Like

I take gravol to sleep, the pharmacist suggested it since I canā€™t sleep!!

I would contact my dr. Just to be 100% sure.

I was told no. Benadryl was the only thing suggested to me.

Check the doc, but melatonin isnā€™t bad for our bodyā€™s. (Dependence can occur)

Iā€™m inside about Melatonin but I was told I could use Benadryl to assist with sleeping.

I was told to take unisom and it works really well

No melatonin but was told unisom which I use and it knocks me out and Iā€™m 28 weeks and baby is healthy :slight_smile:

I used unisom during my pregnancy per the dr. Worked great

Yes. I asked my ob if there was anything i could take to help me sleep and he suggested melatonin.

Unisom is what my dr suggests while pregnant.

1 Like

My doc said Tylenol pm and Benadryl is the safest. Take them at the same time

1 Like

I take diphenhydramine which is just Benadryl at bed to help me sleep and itā€™s on the approved Otc medicinesā€¦ it also helps with stuffy nose which has been bad through out this pregnancy and I am 7 months along.

I asked my doctor when I got pregnant with my second and was told it was fine. I took 1 5mg tablet every night of my pregnancy and baby was born at 39 weeks when I was induced upon my request.

I was told Unisom. Talk to your doctor, theyā€™ll tell you whatā€™s best for you.

My doctor has told me all 4 pregnancy that melatonin is safe.

The only thing that helped me sleep during pregnancy was warmed up milk

My OB said it was. And Benadryl. I had sleeping issues at one point in my pregnancy and my husband ended up asking my OB

I was in the hospital for almost 3 months during pregnancy and they gave me ambien to sleep. Which i thought was weird but apparently itā€™s not harmful :woman_shrugging:t5:

Milk contains Melatonin I suggest that before bed or ask your doctor first not people online

1 Like

Zantac was safe for yearsā€¦now look at it.

Pistachios have melatonin in them.

Talk to your doctor. BUUUUT saying that I took 1mg melatonin and 1 Benadryl during 3 pregnancies with my drs okay because I have insomnia

Speak with your doc but melatonin is safe. Our bodies produce it naturallyā€¦

My obgyn suggested benadryl while I was pregnant.

I was told not to take it

Itā€™s a hormone so I wouldnā€™t risk it. Doctors have no real idea what medications or pills do to a fetus until it is too late

I was told not to take it by multiple doctors.

1 Like

U cant take melatonin but you can take unisom

Iā€™d call the nurses line for sure at your Drs office but I donā€™t think you can take it.

I was told not to because it can cause mental defects in the child

My doctor said it was okay but I took it instead of helping me sleep it kept me wide awake

Nope. Not only that but the next two days after taking it you feel like a zombie and in a haze. I hated how it made me feel

Itā€™s not safe during pregnancy leading to lower birth weights etc. Iā€™ve heard Unisom is approved for pregnancy but I never tried it.

Taking unisom is better for mom and baby. Be careful to take anything without calling a nurseā€™s hotline.

Itā€™s safe as long as you dont take a high dosage. 3mg or less.

I was told no alsoā€¦ Iā€™m not sure why as itā€™s all naturalā€¦ but reading up thereā€™s alot of neutral herbal meds that actually arnt safe in pregnancy :woman_shrugging:

Have you asked your OB? Not trying to be an asshole, but Facebook isnt the best source for a medical consult.

4 Likes

Unisom would be the better option. Helps with nausea and is also a sleep pill

2 Likes

My doc okd melatonin and benadryl for sleep :woman_shrugging:t3:

Your doctor should proscribe u something instead thatā€™s what mine did when I was pregnant.

I was told not to. Your body does naturally produce melatonin but a supplement is not a natural production. Unisom is great it also helps with sickness if youā€™ve been having it

No. Unisom for the win

:scream::link::memo::paintbrush::bookmark_tabs::pill:
Doctor told me not to take it as well. I was told toā€¦
Spend as less time as you can in your room. If your in there a lot itā€™ll make it harder to sleep in. Also to not clean before going to bed because when your pregnant nothing is CLEAN try paying a bill or some type of writing. I would like scrap book in the kitchen to get myself to get super sleepy. Because in the kitchen you not as cozy the lights are pretty bright so when you got up to you soft warm bed with dim to no lights you fall asleep better
Lol I know right I always clean before bed and even when Iā€™m not pregnant I feel like nothing is clean. But yeah definitely try this stuff before any meds
But Benadryl is safe while pregnant

Chamomile tea and warm bath

I would recommend talking to your ob/gyn. Some say its okay to take, some say its not okay. It all depends on how you are.

1 Like

Use benadryl. Thatā€™s what I used when I was pregnant and it was recommended by my doctor.

Ask your Drā€¦ ALWAYS

Pop some Benadryl, unisom doesnā€™t really work well lol

Melatonin and tylenol pm are both safe. I couldnt of survived my pregnancy without tylenol pm

2 Likes

Itā€™s natural so I donā€™t understand all the nos but definitely consult your doctor.

1 Like

Benadryl is what my doctor recommended, but Iā€™d ask yours

My dr said 3mg or less

1 Like

Best to talk to a doctor, not ask a group of people on Facebook with different backgrounds and experiences.

6 Likes

I never took melatonin, always unisom or Benadryl

Youā€™re going to get a mix of answers, because itā€™s Facebookā€¦ not a doctors office. You need to call your doctor tomorrow and ask. Always remember just because someone else did it and they turned out fine or their baby turned out fineā€¦ doesnā€™t mean the same for you and your baby. Do what your DOCTOR recommends.

I have heard and was told it is NOT safe, neither is Tylenol PM.

4 Likes

The doctors will usually tell you to use Benadryl cause itā€™s tested safe in pregnancy.

1 Like

Melatonin and Tylenol PMs should both be safe. Melatonin is a natural substance that our own bodies create and the melatonin pill is a booster to help us sleep.

2 Likes

I was told not to use melatoninā€¦ use Benadryl or unisome

1 Like

Always ask your doctor.

1 Like

Thatā€™s not a Facebook question thatā€™s a Dr question, just saying

2 Likes

I was high risk and my doctors approved unisom. Works great, but makes you feel groggy if you donā€™t get a full nights sleep.

Benadryl more effective and just all around better

I used a low dose of melatonin like 3mg and my child was perfect but always ask a dr

Unisom is all my doctor said was safe.

Try Unisom I take it every night with doctors approval!

I only have Benadryl listed on my list of things you can take while pregnant for sleep aid. Ask your doctor

I donā€™t know about melatonin but unisom is safe and half a pill has me knocked out for hours.

My OB said no to melatonin but did tell me to take unisom. It worked great!

Iā€™m allergic to benadryl so my dr said melatonin was fine to take and my best friend also took it with all her pregnancies but definitely consult your dr before making a definite decision

Oh wow my doctor still let me take ambien on occasion. This was 8 years ago though.

As always, try giving your ob a call! My dr said as a last measure it was okay but to try other things first. Like relaxing and limiting screen time

Ask your doctorā€¦ not social media

8 Likes

Pharmacist here. Actual
Melatonin is ok however itā€™s an ā€œherbalā€ product in the us and not regulated so no way to say If it contains what the bottle says it contains. Both diphenhydramine and doxylamine are considered safe by ACOG and the FDA

Unisom or Benadryl, is helping me a lot

Melatonin is produced in your body naturally. I would choose this over anything else, just my opinion.

1 Like

Have to agree that this is not a question for facebook and every doctor is going to have a different opinion. I personally didnā€™t feel safe taking any kind of medications while pregnant, that was just me. My doctor okā€™d certain things but I decided to tough it out. Sleep deprivation wonā€™t end after pregnancy, just sayin :joy: time to get some practice.

5 Likes

Not recommend but I took 3mg here or there and I was able to sleep but I would ask your doctor

My doctor prescribed me ambien while pregnant because he said it was far more dangerous to not be sleeping than it was not taking anything but tossing and turning all night awake

1 Like

Tylenol pm or tylenol simply sleep. Its what my doctor told me I could take with both pregnancies.

My doctor had me take unisom instead

They told me to take Benadryl :woman_facepalming:t3:

I struggled with sleep before pregnancy. When I got pregnant I stopped everything I took obviously. I did shift work and worked a lot (80hr work weeks)through my pregnancy to have extra time off for maternity leave My dr said it was okay to take unisom not benedryl based. Then it got so bad I wasnā€™t sleeping for 4-5 days in a row and gave me ambien so I could sleep and still work. All drs are different and moms too. Ask your dr and do whatā€™s best for you. My son is fine and healthy.

I used melatonin. Iā€™ve never heard of not being able to take it :grimacing:. Maybe I should have asked, but my baby is healthy.

You canā€™t use or take anything! Ask your OB please, it can affect the baby. :fearful:
No Benadryl, no nothing. Tylenol for pain I think is the only thingā€¦ and Tylenol if breastfeeding too.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE ASK YOUR DOC. Everyone is different. Something that may help one, may not help you.

2 Likes

Ask your dr, not Facebook

1 Like

Every dr is different but my midwife okayed it