Is my 3-month-old fine crying herself to sleep while I quickly shower?

My baby just turned 3 months old. Normally when I shower I put her in her pack n play, but she screams the entire time. 2 out of the past 3 showers she has cried herself to sleep. I heard that at that age they feel abandonment issues if left alone to “cry it out” I try to shower as fast as I can. Will she feel abandoned because of not coming to her aid while she’s crying? Is it bad that she cried it out twice? Might be a stupid question, but I’m a first time mom. No mean answers please

62 Likes

Id say let them cry it out as their older not 3 months thats kinda young.

2 Likes

Talk to her while you’re in the showering there is room for her pack and play in your bathroom.

1 Like

No it is not a bad thing. A lot of people would call it the cry it out method. You may not be meaning for her to go to sleep but that’s kinda just what happens. Some mom say it was the best thing for them some hate the idea.

2 Likes

She will be fine momma

3 Likes

I never let my baby cry it out. Now i do at times cuz she fights sleep. but not always .

1 Like

Yes. Take your shower, fuck the haters

Take her in bathroom while you shower and peek out the curtain every 1-2 minutes.

1 Like

Do you have a boppy? Lay a thick blanket on the floor with the boppy. Swaddle her and lay her in there. Shower sounds can be soothing. Just try different ways she can be somewhat close to you but still comfortable

3 Likes

You need to take care of yourself mama, take a shower, she will be ok! :heart:

23 Likes

You’re good, momma. You deserve a shower.

4 Likes

If she ways cries when bn put down like that, then I would say not to worry to much. They also have to learn to be away, daycare you working etc. Then again I am old school

2 Likes

Yup it’s not hurting her. You need to look after yourself to look after her. Take it easy on yourself :sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart:

8 Likes

I put my son in his swing or bouncer while I was in the shower so I could talk to him :heart:

3 Likes

I sat my son in his lil chair buckled him in and sat him in the bathroom near the shower so I could keep an eye on him while I showered

5 Likes

Until she gets more accustomed to the sound of water faucets, while still keeping an eye on you, why not take baths?

She will be fine I have 5 kids and none of them have abandonment issues from crying it out or crying themselves to sleep, moms deserve to shower and relax she will be fine if she’s dry and fed and burped and just crying because she’s not right there with you she will be fine

3 Likes

As long as they dont get super worked up, yeah they’re fine. Quick shower.
I’ve been doing it since mine was a newborn. Hes 1 now and very independent

Crying for the baby is very good for the lungs> Shower she will be fine!!!

3 Likes

Take a shower honey the baby will be ok. Make sure they are fed and dry and take your shower. I used to put mine in the bathroom w me and the water would soothe them

I wouldn’t call it cry it out, but you do need to shower and as a first time mom, sometimes no time is a good time. Taking those few short minutes to do a refresh shower is ok. You’re doing fine! If you feel that bad, take a baby bouncer with you in the shower and have the baby in there. But a few short minutes, the baby is ok. Don’t be so hard on yourself

2 Likes

It won’t hurt her.
Showers are 10 minutes minimum.
Self care is needed mumma.

Cry it out is such a debate, either way hunn dont feel bad for needing to take time for yourself. She will be okay for a shower.

Do what you must do as long as she is safe. Sit her in her carrier in bathroom and sing to her.

Try putting here in a rocker or something and take her into the bathroom so she can see u

3 Likes

I put my tiny dude in the bouncer in the bathroom and talked to her the whole time! She was always happy to watch the water

4 Likes

she’s just missing you, I think she’s fine! I have an almost 2 month old and she cries when I shower and most of the time she’s asleep when I get out. I have a baby cam over her crib though so I can see and hear her. when I hear her quiet down it gives me the go ahead to spend a few extra minutes in there, she’s not in pain, she’s not hungry, she’s just missing mamas snuggles.

1 Like

Yes it’s fine, don’t stress it so much momma. Of course as a mother you feel horrible listening to them cry. But if you do is consistently after two weeks they get the idea. They cry less and less as time goes by.

Teaching your baby that she can cope without you is one of the best things you can teach her. Coping skills are trained not something we are born with. As long as she is fed, dry and isn’t hurt-there’s nothing wrong with her crying. Eventually she will learn that she’s okay on her own for short times and the crying will stop.

5 Likes

I was told that’s to early to let cry it out but your child your choice I’d ask her doctor

4 Likes

And it’s ok if she cries a little your not doing anything wrong

Just read 1st sentence…yes!

Absolutely not. Settle your child first then take a shower. Then you can have a shower without crying

3 Likes

Try putting around the rug in the bathroom

She will.be ok. You need to shower, she is learning. Can u put the pack and play ose to the bathroom and keep the door open and sing to her?
Your doing great, she is fine, shes just being a little 2 month old.
It is good for babies to learn you wont be by their side 24/7.
Dont feel bad.

6 Likes

If shes falling asleep in a short amount of time like that its fine :slightly_smiling_face:

I always put my girls in the rocker buckled in while I showered.

1 Like

Maybe put her in a rocker or something smaller and put her in the bathroom with you that way you can talk to and comfort her that way so she knows you didn’t leave her I understand lol my 3 did that too especially my girls

She will be fine
She needs to learn to sooth herself!

Idk if I could listen to my three month old cry for ten minutes. Shower when she’s sleeping. I have an almost one year old and have never had an issue showering. Maybe if she were older, but three months old :disappointed:

7 Likes

You’re not letting her cry it out a night in order for her to sleep all night, you need a shower mama. She’ll be ok.

3 Likes

I would just poke my head to let her see you. She may still cry but knowing you’re still there she will be fine. Sometimes you need to get stuff done and they need to cry for a bit. Just give extra cuddles when she wakes if you feel bad lol. It’s what I do to my girls.

2 Likes

As long as she’s safe she’s fine. My two year old screams bloody murder at nap time most days still. If you give in they “can” get used to you running to them whenever they cry. It won’t hurt her to cry so you can shower. As long as she’s not screaming for hours she’s ok

2 Likes

Letting them cry themselves to sleep teaches them to self soothe I did both mine, when the time was right when they was toddlers there wasnt any tantrums at bedtime both always knew it was sleepy time and went straight over to sleep😏

Sounds like you’re not ok with this. I wasn’t either and took him into the shower with me. He’d have tummy time and splash in the water. I’d just pick him up when I rinsed the shampoo out

She’ll be ok. Letting them cry for short periods help strengthen the lungs. Showering is a must and she’ll be ok. Maybe put her in the bathroom with you, If Its possible. Just talk or sing to her so she knows you’re still there and play peek-a-boo with the curtain. Good luck!

3 Likes

Always settle her first

I used to put the bouncy chair in the bathroom and take a quick bath. That way they could see me.

6 Likes

Why dont you drag the pack a play to the bathroom door so she can see you? Or take put her in her high chair and bring it to the bathroom?

Find something to distract her & msybe she wont cry

CIO at that age can cause issues, but an occasional crying to sleep will be okay. If you can, getting her settled or distracted first is always the best route, but there are gonna be times you can’t and you really need to clean yourself and that’s okay

1 Like

As long as she’s in a safe crib, is clean, been feed, and has a clean diaper, she’s fine while you shower.

Sounds like she’s already soothing herself… that’s great, just shower quickly and no matter what, do everything in moderation.

I always buckled mine in… a sleeper or baby seat, depending… even used a laundry basket (visiting family) but padded with a carefully folded blanket, that I placed in the front of the shower/ tub, while I shower…

Everyone will always have an opinion…

I’d do the same if I had too.

I would not be ok with this myself. I shower after I get baby to sleep or when someone else can care for him.

3 Likes

Take your shower. She’ll be fine.

Not a thing wrong with it in my book. But if you are so worried take her into the bathroom so she can hear your voice and you can even play peek-a-boo around the shower curtain.

That’s too young. Can you not shower after she is asleep? But, on the other hand…I understand why you do it. As moms it’s hard to do anything we need to. I know my kids always either wake up or need me the moment I need to do anything for myself.

2 Likes

Take her in the bathroom with n just talk to her

1 Like

She will be okay…i think,why not try putting her to sleep first then you can take all your time in the shower💁My 5months old was like that too so i had to put her close to the bathroom but with time i stopped…I shower when she is asleep.She will be totally okay.

I have 4 kids and owned a daycare-it is OK and self smoothing should be your goal. You’re doing good lil mama

1 Like

She should be fine, but you could put her in the bathroom with you, shower after she goes to sleep. I took my daughter into the shower with me and when I was done washing her I would put her into a bumbo seat while I finished up. You got this❤

I wait till my 2 month old goes to bed and I just bring the monitor in the bathroom with me

1 Like

Shes learning to soothe herself , which is a good thing. Take your shower ,she wont be napping for long. Enjoy this time .

1 Like

I use to put my daughter in a shower seat and put her in the shower with me. Lol

Bounce chair in the bathroom hun so she can she you she’s falling asleep because she has worn herself out and at this age babies cry because they need something

Bouncy chair or car seat in the bathroom or the exersauser after 3 months or so. I stuffed blankets around them it prop them up.

I was the same way with my son but wut I found helped I took baths when he was a baby I would put him in his bouncer then got in tub I would talk to him and play with him it was the only way I could bathe and keep him calm

1 Like

Your not a bad mom! I use to bring my daughters in the bathroom with me!

1 Like

Bring the baby into the bathroom with you. Put her in a bouncy seat on the floor while you shower so your can talk to her while you’re in there. Or bring her into the shower with you, put her in the baby tub.

2 Likes

I used to put my son in his kick swing and bring him in the bathroom with me

First time mom here as well and it’s perfectly okay to leave them alone to cry themselves to sleep. The general rule is 15 minutes on their own to cry and then go check on them and then leave them alone for another 15 on and off till they go to sleep

2 Likes

Try bringing her into the bathroom in a swing or put her on the floor with some toys

I personally never allow my children to cio. I would shower later.

2 Likes

I never went into a another room and showered . You can’t hear when the waters running if she stopped breathing from hyperventilating from screaming or really anything. Take her in the bathroom. Lay a soft blanket or towel down talk to her let her play with toys. That’s what I did with my daughter

2 Likes

Not yet ts good for her to learn that :joy: aren’t going to o pick her up and very time she cries

1 Like

Personally, I would wait til she’s asleep to shower. Also I would put a piece of clothing I’d just worn close by the crib so she could have something with your scent on it to help keep her soothed and sleep better when she’s not in your arms. Also make sure she’s not getting used to sleeping in your arms.

1 Like

She will be fine. Not letting her cry at all isnt possible. She will learn that she will be okay. You have to shower. She will be okay.

9 Likes

She’s still way too little to let her cry it out. At that age, I put my daughter in the boppy pillow on the floor and put her in the bathroom with me so she could see me. I would also give her a rattle toy to play with to entertain her.

I wait till my son is asleep to go shower or have a friend watch him real quick while I do. I hate when he cries…it’s not even crying…it’s screaming! Lol

My daughter sits in a bouncy chair where she can see me while I shower - she knows I’m there so doesn’t even look at me, just looks around the room in fascination

maybe get a bouncer n sit her in the bathroom with winter time around the corner the steam will help her

She’s fine mama,take your shower. You don’t have to to hold her every waking moment.

6 Likes

She’ll be fine, momma, I promise. I’ve been there and you have to tend to your needs too. If shes safely put in her playpen or crib without anything to smother her she’ll be okay. I always put my babygirl in her swing or down for a nap first.

2 Likes

You will never get anything done if you don’t let your baby cry once in awhile. You’re fine.

2 Likes

could you put the Pak and play close to the door of bathroom and leave door open and sing and talk to her while you are taking the shower…even play peek and boo with the shower curtain sp she can see you

“No mean comments” but yet some moms are still commenting mean😂 if she needs to shower, shower!!! It isn’t abandonment as long as they are in a safe space. You can’t hold them 24/7. She will be okay.

14 Likes

Make sure all her needs are met.

Fed,
Diapered
Burped

Than put her in her car seat, bring in the bathroom with you.

3 Likes

Yes it’s fine for her to cry.

My middle son is and was a nytmare cryed non stop from the minute he woke till the minute he went to sleep he’s always wanted we held or touched in some way. But with 6 children altogether it is not always possible. N he as started to realise that now at 2 but even now it’s a struggle. As long as ur baby is fed n clean n safe than have that bath or shower. My last born son as got used 2 it really quick n it’s mummy’s tym. N us mummy’s don’t get much of that so please take that bath or shower otherwise you will end up with a 2 yr old like mine who still wants some form of contact 24 7 x

I brought mine in the bathroom in one of the baby seats…it usually makes em fall asleep when theyre that little

4 Likes

First time mom here as well, he’s almost 4 now. When he was a baby, I’d just put him in a bouncy chair in the bathroom so I could see him while I showered. Or I waited until he was asleep and brought the monitor in the bathroom. I wouldn’t have been able to leave the room and not see or hear him, even for 5 minutes.

Awe. Just take your showers when she is asleep. God bless you both

2 Likes

You do what you have to do mama!!! Dont listen to any moms on here every since parent, parents differently!! Something that works for one mother might not work for the next. You do what you feel is right if you okay with her crying herself to sleep while you shower then you do exactly that!!! Dont let other moms on here tell you have to treat your child!!! They are your child not theirs for a reason!!! Good luck and best wishes mama!!!

3 Likes

Crying is communication, not manipulation.

Your child is crying because she has a need (emotional, physical, mental, etc.) that isn’t being met, and she can’t tell you what it is.

Imagine how cold the outside world must be after 9 months always being the perfect temperature.

Imagine how uncomfortable diapers and clothes must be after floating naked in fluid for 9 months.

Imagine how scary the silence must be after hearing your heartbeat 24/7.

Imagine how lonely the Pack N Play is after 9 months of never being apart from you.

3 months isn’t a long time.

A 3 month old isn’t old enough to understand that you aren’t gone forever when you’re out of sight - they dont have object permanence.

All she knows is that you, the person she has to count on for EVERYTHING (food, drink, safety, comfort, cleanliness, warmth, etc.) is gone.

Please don’t let your baby cry. She isn’t trying to manipulate you or upset you. She isn’t giving you a hard time, she’s just having a hard time and is telling you something is wrong the only way she knows how.

11 Likes

With my son I would bring his little vibrating rocker thing (I cant remember what it’s called at the moment) by the door if the bathroom and I would turn the water in first before I brought him near the door. So I could speak on him while I showered. (My son is blind and has medical needs) when I wanted to take a bath I would bring it into the bathroom right next to tub.

Personally I’d shower after she sleeps

3 Likes

Letting her cry for a little bit is okay. Sadly, she is going to have to get used to you not being around all the time (work, running errands, etc)
I try and not let my daughter cry more then 10 minutes at any time

2 Likes

I always put my kids in a bouncer seat or bassinet in the bathroom with me so I could look out and make sure they were ok…they could hear me talk to them and see me…

2 Likes

You’re fine, mama.
Dont feel guilty!
Keep ur chin up, don’t let the haters getcha down. :wink:

3 Likes

I would feed my child, burp her, and make sure she’s asleep. Then I would put whatever shirt I was wearing in the crib with her and she’d hold it with her little fist. I only take something like 5 minute showers (shaving only if husband was in the room with her.) She’s 3 now. You need to be able to shower. So take a shower