Is the depo good birth control?

I was wondering if you can post about the depo l shot pros and cons. I am currently pregnant now will be due in may. My Dr is pushing for depo I just want what other women experienced on it. Please and thank you.

18 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Is the depo good birth control? - Mamas Uncut

It literally made me crazy & gain almost 50lbs. Itā€™s convenient, yes, but idk I swear it made me feel & act insane.

5 Likes

Try a different form. That stuff is really hard to be on

1 Like

Made me gain sooo much weightšŸ˜• but I only got my period once every 3 months.

1 Like

Iā€™m on my 2nd round of depo and had my baby in October so far so good and never seen my period since dec

I have no experience as I am incredibly needle phobic, but I have not heard great things.

good birth control? yes
good for your body? BIG FAT NO

Iā€™ve never many any woman that liked it

I was on it for 6 years. Iā€™d say the last 2 years of being on depo it felt like a switch. I felt insane, gained like 30 pounds, my depression was at an all time high.

1 Like

Been on depo for 8 years now and I love it.

All woman contraceptive is bad for us! Sorry ladies I know from experience 4 out of 5 kids are birth control babies. Then essure coils tried to kill me. :roll_eyes::grimacing::pensive::sleepy:

I personally love it. Yes it is harder to lose weight on but the whole 8 years between my son and trying for my daughter I had absolutely no period at all. Got off of it in Nov 2017, found out we were pregnant in dec 2018 and had a beautiful girl. In 2021 we decided to try again so I stopped it and am now 19 weeks pregnant again.

1 Like

Makes you gain weight butttttt I didnā€™t get a period while on it. I also had issues with calcium deficiency while on it. Also if you donā€™t get the shot in time you can get pregnant. I recommend the nexplanon. It goes in the arm for 3 years, no trips to the doctor for the shot and works like depo

I was on depo for 5 years with my last son and had no issues worked hard to lose weight just had my son in Jan and going back on depo

1 Like

Depo sucked for me! Iā€™m on the nexplanon arm implant and love it

I was put on it to help my periods due to having 2+ plus a month. I gained a lot of weight and still ended up pregnant a month after I got it. I donā€™t recommend it at all. In all honesty your doctor shouldnā€™t be pushing any type of birth control on you the choice is yours!

2 Likes

I bled non stop for the entire 3 months and made me feel insane as well. But I know others it worked well with. It depends on your body and you just donā€™t know until you try it. Me personally. I could not find anything that worked for me other than the patch until it stopped working too!

Was on it 14 years before kids loved it. Tried it between my two kids hated it. Now after 2nd kid I have the implant in arm and I like it.

I actually gained alot of weight back then on depo and I was surprised because i never really gain weight. Itā€™s terrible for your body as well.

2 Likes

I lost 60 lbs and it works fine for me.

1 Like

Made me gain alot of weight developed cysts on my ovaries had them removed no periods. Bad back pain .

I gain over 60lbs on the depo shot. It also gave me major mood swings and leg cramps.

3 Likes

I got pregnant with my daughter while on the Depo shot

I will never use it again, bled pretty much constantly apart from and odd day off here and there. Then took forever to get back to normal after i stopped using it. Had to take the pill whilst ok it to try and stop the bleeding as well. And I mean way more than a year rather than weeks/months. Awful

Depo made me crazy. I was on it almost a year and my hormones were through the roof. It also increased my postpartum depression

1 Like

I bled/ spotted none stop for weeks at a time on the depo shot. I will never get it again. I have the nexplanon in my arm and it was doing the same thing so I went to my doctor who couldnā€™t get it out that day but put me on the pill to regulate my periods.

Itā€™s horrible donā€™t take it. Iā€™m still having horrible side effects from 16 years ago. It made me gain weight and it made me crazy.

2 Likes

I gained weight and bleed non stop until for 3 months and then my body stabilized but I just felt ā€œoffā€. I stopped with the shots and went with non hormone based iud.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been on it years. No pregnancy but hasnā€™t helped my periods

I bled non stop with depo. Like heavier than period bleedings. Iā€™ve had friends who have trouble TTC once they got off depo. Caused some to have infertility issues.

1 Like

I gained 20lbs in about a month. Even after stopping it I didnā€™t have a period for a year and had to start birth control pills to start my cycles again. Mood swings were HORRIBLE !!! Still had all period symptoms without bleeding. I also now have PCOS. I would never recommend it for anyone. Please read the side effects portions of it and you will probably feel the same.

1 Like

I gained 70 pounds and spotted constantly on depo.

1 Like

Itā€™s different for everyone, I had horrible side effects and couldnā€™t wait for it to wear off

1 Like

I was on depo for 2.5 years and had a large weight gain that was impossible to lose even with working out, dieting,ect.

1 Like

Absolutely amazing, it is the only contraception that doesnā€™t mess with me

Most people get weight gain as a side effect but whatā€™s more concerning is the bone loss that may occur with long periods on the depo

1 Like

Never again after I got off the depo I bled for a month

I was on it from 17 till 22 got off for a few years used condoms and tracked my cycle. Got back on it from 25 till 27. Never had an issue. Never got pregnant. Had no periods. Did gain some weight in the later years I donā€™t think it had much to do with the shot.

My niece did the DEPO after her second child and now sheā€™s been trying to get pregnant for almost 4 years and canā€™t

Donā€™t do it !!! I was about ready to check myself into the pysch ward manā€¦ was not pretty lol

1 Like

I got pregnant on the depo :rofl:

Everyone is different on it. I had it for the longest time and after my first or second cycle they stopped. Then the health department refused to give me my shot and now I have a little girl.

1 Like

Was on it for yearā€™s caused weight gain however if you manage an active lifestyle and watch your calories you could easily manage it I preferred the nuvaring though

Noooo I was on it for 2 years in highschool and I bled literally the entire time. I was told itā€™s normal but I sincerely doubt that neverending menstruation is normal. It didnt make me gain weight or have migraines (the pill did that) but that constant bleeding was killer.

1 Like

i gained almost 100 pounds on depo and i never had periods, but when i was supposed to i was in constant pain.

1 Like

It caused me to have severe depression but thatā€™s just my personal experience

1 Like

5 years on itā€¦ But itā€™s different for everyone.
Con: very emotional
Pro: I lost weight
Didnā€™t get my period

I went off of it and was pregnant within 2 months. Went back on it after we had or son and it wasnā€™t the same I couldnā€™t do it.

Iā€™ve been on it for almost 5 years. No periods what so ever. Some spotting right before im due for my next shot. Have gained at least 30lbs that I had lost after having my son. Pretty sure it contributed to me breaking my leg so easyā€¦my tib/ fib snapped so rod and screws in my leg. Ive heard bone density gets bad after it.

I got the shot before leaving the hospital after having my son. I have painful cramps before my period starts, migraines for days and hungry nonstop lol I do not recommend it.

I have had a great experience with it! Others not so much though so it depends on the woman. Iā€™ve not had a period at all and gained zero weight but my friend has gained over 40 lbs.

2 Likes

If you donā€™t want anymore kids I just suggest hysterectomy best decision I ever made. I was on depo had no periods but did gain alot of weight

1 Like

100% do not recommend at all

1 Like

Iā€™ve been on it twice. The first time I had no issues other than no sex drive. The second time i gained 40lbs, had headaches and still no sex drive.

I love it! No period.

1 Like

I took the depo when I was 15. Messed me up bad. I literally bled every day for a year and had giant blood clots coming out of me. My periods 20 years later are still uncontrollable and I have to take a birth control to try to have someone normal periods. Oh and now I canā€™t have kids.

I had weight gain & migraines, severe cramps, no period by spotting before next shot & it is horrible on bone densityā€¦ Youā€™re supposed to have density scans every 5yrs when you are on it but no doctor where told me that or did scans. I donā€™t recommend it eitherā€¦

Meet Mr.Depo shot lol took my shot religiously, and because it stopped my period, I didnā€™t even know I was pregnant until I was 16 weeks pegnant

1 Like

I got pregnant with my son after being on the depo shot for 3 years. Never missed a dose. Also gained a crap ton of weight. I personally wouldnā€™t do it

Makes you gain weight. Maybe having your Tubes tied would be a good thing

I used it, as do my 2 daughters, as teens, & young adults.
They each came off of it for 2 years, 1 daughter had a son, 1 daughter had twins :rofl: & now they are both back on it.

Itā€™s convenient, it works well, & thereā€™s very few side effects. I would recommend to any busy mom not wanting more kids right away.

1 Like

I had so many issues with that shot, definitely consider other options!

I had my daughter on the depo. My 16 yr old is in it and it causes her huge cysts. Itā€™s different for everyone.

I put an awful lot of weight on because of it and developed PCOS too because of it. I also had severe migraines plus painful belly ache. Everyone is different though.

1 Like

I like the iud. I had that for over 5 years. The non hormone one. It was great.

I gained 40 lb in 2 monthsā€¦ it took me 9 months to drop all the weight. I had a tubal ligation and it had 0 effect on my mind and Iā€™m skinny :slight_smile: I regret ever doing depo

1 Like

Everyone Iā€™ve know whose gotten it has gotten pregnant on it.

I gained 75 pounds while on depo. I had been on it religiously for 5 years and got pregnant. I never missed a shot or anything and got pregnant.

1 Like

No no and no. Do not do it

1 Like

Been on it for 21 years no problems at all no periods

I was on it for 14 years gained no more then 10 pounds on it. I went off it a few years ago and it took a few months till my periods were back to normal but everything else was fine.

1 Like

It worked great as a birth control but I gained weight and if you use too long you could definitely get osteoporosis when your older I would look into the side effects and the iud worked but came out after a yr and a half hurt to put in and Iā€™ve had cervix pain every since getting it but Iā€™ve gotten pregnant on the pill we just canā€™t fucking win

Could be unrelated but I was on the depo and developed adenomyosis. Ended up having a hysterectomy a year later. I had been on other bc for years with no issues, switch to depo and start having lots of issues.

Weight gain and hair loss for me

Weight gain and hair loss for me

i bled for 6 months straight. it was not nice to me at all.

I gained 100lbs on depo and havent had a normal period since then

1 Like

Hereā€™s my depo baby :blue_heart:

2 Likes

I love it. I have gained some weight and I did have a 2 month period the first time I got off it. I was in it 5 years, had no problems getting pregnant again and on it again for the 6 months. itā€™s different for every woman

1 Like

It is effective but makes you gain a lot of weight

2 Likes

I do not recommend. I bled RANDOMLY until it cleared from my system (3 months). I did not get another shot.

1 Like

I liked it . No monthly

Donā€™t do it!! I had 3 shots bled for a month straight my first then not bleeding for 2 years, weight gain, extremely hormonal. Took almost 2 years for it to leave my system!

1 Like

Do not do it. It causes PCOS and infertility

I had a bad experience with the depo. I spotted literally everyday for a full year, non-stop. Doctor told me it was ā€œnormal.ā€ I switched off of it because it was annoying to me to be spotting for that long. Currently Iā€™m on an IUD and have had no issues with it.

I love it was on from 13 to 17 and now Iā€™ve been on it sense I was 20 Iā€™m 24 now only birth control Iā€™ve ever been on no weight gain hardly get a period and no Iā€™ve never gotten pregnant while on it either

I developed PCOS, gained ALOT of weight, had a period for 3 months straight, and had a stroke from the shot. Please consider other bc. my Dr pushed for DEPO also because she said all other bc would interfere with my seizure meds. So that was my only option she said. I refuse to take any bc now. That stroke scared me so bad. also it was confirmed by multiple Drs that DEPO is what causes the stroke.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been on it for about 11 years, no weight gain, no periods, no mood swings, nothing. Itā€™s great for me. I have addenomyosis and it has helped tremendously with that too.

I will add that, everything can affect everyone differently, and I think placement also plays a role here. I hear a lot more issues with people who get it in their arm versus people who get it in their hip.

1 Like

Con - weight gain and always wanting to eat

1 Like

I gained 60 lbs in less then 3 months from the 1st shot. I never got a 2nd and the weight melted off almost at fast as it came. However, it left many scars physically and emotionally. I also got it because I have endometriosis and was trying to stop my periods to help slow the growth of endo but my periods never stopped. I will never take it again.

1 Like

I was on depo and ended up pregnant with my daughter. My periods were rough, I gained weight, and was cranky.

1 Like

It just depends but for me itā€™s a big No,gained to much weight and no normal cycle.

1 Like

No! I had the worst experience and the only thing that they did to help me was give a pill form of birth controlšŸ™ˆ

1 Like

No, i did not have a good experience with it, it cause endometrosis, and lots of pain, i should of stayed on the pill

Depo-Provera has a black box warning that if used for more than 2 years will cause bone density loss. Depo was originally created to be a male castration for male sex offenders. And it was denied twice by the FDA to be used as a female birth control. I got on it 2 months after giving birth in 2018, and in 2019, I was supposed to get my shot in July 2019, and I never went back to get it. I didnā€™t stop bleeding until January 2020. I was also hormonal, and for the whole time, when getting the shot and nearing needing my next shot, I had anger outbursts, I was emotional. Depo also causes infertility. Depo is currently being used for male sex offenders in Alabama now. It was never made for women, which is why I believe doctors canā€™t explain the adverse affects it has on women. I completely advise against it.

I was on it for 8 years. Gained a little weight but never got pregnant on it and it controlled hormones better than pills.

I liked the depo I used it for like 2 years. Only con was I needed the shot in my leg bc anytime they did it in my stomach it would leave a literal dent

I loved it when I was a teenager/early 20s even after having two children. After my 3rd child (I was 31 yrs old) I got it and it made my hormones all whacky and made me hormonal so I didnā€™t get the second dose and went on the pill. Now Iā€™m pregnant again at 33 with my pill baby lol and I took that crap religiously. Gonna have my tubes removed after this one.

1 Like

I had it and it caused weight gain and my hormones were awfulā€¦

1 Like

My depo baby is 14 months :slight_smile:

But before that, weight gain and I want psycho

1 Like