Is the depo good birth control?

If you want more kids don’t do the depo…it can make you infertile and also I gained a TON of weight on it

1 Like

It’s fine for a couple years but I’d get on something more long term if you don’t want more kids soon, I have nexplanon, the arm implant, and it lasts for 3 years so you don’t have to worry about it so often.

I was on it for 8yrs and never had a problem with it. Our bodies are all different. We’re all gonna have our own reactions to it. You just have to go with your gut on this one, but you never know how it will affect YOU unless you try it for yourself. But just like with any other medication, at the end of the day it’s up to you to decide if you’re willing to risk the possible side effects.

I got it before I left the hospital after my last one to hold me over until my 3 month postpartum appointment & then ordered the mirena

I’ve been on and off depo since I was 14 it’s personally the best choice. I’ve tried the patches, caused an allergic reaction. Implants? Body rejected them. Pills? Have to be on the dot about those. The depo? Once every 3 months in my arm. No side effects, no worries, just living life.

1 Like

I had an awful experience. When I first went on it I bled heavily for a month straight. I was on it for a couple years before I started feeling “off”. I can’t really describe it but I wasn’t myself. When I went off I had extremely painful ovarian cysts every cycle for about a year afterwards (probably because I hadn’t ovulated in two years).

I also read that it lowers bone density after long periods of use.

I am currently on it, I haven’t had symptoms or weight gain with it, I have been on it for a while now, the best part about it is no period what so ever, but I would talk to your provider and see what they recommend for you, and if you go with the depo (if they recommend it for you) make sure you follow their directions exactly!!

2 Likes

Definitely not. It caused a ton of weight gain and second time infertility for me. Took me 8 yrs to get pregnant and be able to carry to term with fertility meds and other meds

I had no periods and I was fine on it

2 depo shots-6 months straight of bleeding- gained an enormous amount of weight

1 Like

My depo baby will be 11 in April. I didn’t have any issues but refused it after I gave birth. I began using the iud and got pregnant on that as well but sadly it ended in a miscarriage. I don’t use anything now. My husband and I decided for all natural. If it happens, it happens.

My mom got pregnant twice on it. They told her it has medicine in it that helps struggling females get pregnant and that’s exactly what it did instead of preventing it. My brother will be 21 in April and sister will be 16 in march, best blessings we got unexpectedly.

It wasn’t for me I gained over 160 pounds on it over five month period and I could not lose the Weight

1 Like

I’ve been on depo for a long time and have had no proble s and love it!

If you do choose this method of birth control, you cannot be on it for more than 2 years. In your later years of life, it will cause osteoporosis. Which is not curable. Depo is really bad for your bones. Also, coming off of the depo, is like hell. Pretty much all symptoms of pregnancy.

2 Likes

Didn’t gain wait like most, but struggled with depression and anxiety. Was even prescribed medication for it but majority of the issues went away when I stopped getting the shot. Took a long time for my cycle to return to normal.

I had Depoprovera…It kept me from getting pregnant, however, the weight gain was ridiculous. And has proven to be impossible to lose it.

1 Like

When I was on the depo I took it for a year and I never had a period, but it made my weight fluctuate, acne and mood swings. I got off of it and didn’t have a period for 6 years and didn’t concieve for almost 4 years. I still do not have regular periods after 8 years

Um, I mean, it gave me a tumor in my breast I had to get surgically removed and also had an allergic reaction and ended up in the hospital. It also gave me weird pyramids, so no.

This was the result of my time with depo… best thing that ever happened to me but worst timing EVER… got pregnant just about 2 weeks before I was due for my next shot which they still gave because we had no idea I was pregnant. Didn’t even find out until I was 9 weeks.

2 Likes

Been on it consistently for nearly 9 years now. Never gained weight. Get a very light period just before next injection is due. I have noticed a decline in my mental health since using though.

I gained so much weight on the depo shot i have the mirena iud with no issues

I would not recommend it but every female is different. I have tried almost every birth control option. The only thing that worked for me is the Nuva Ring. It’s the most expensive but the only thing that didn’t make me fat, crazy , or make me have menstrual issues of some sort.

Gained a bunch of weight

I loved the depo, honestly it was my favorite bc! I did gain weight but I was on it for like 5 years before I started to gain weight, before that I actually lost and maintained a very healthy weight. I am having a baby in March and personally that’s what I’m getting on and you can get a shot the day you leave the hospital, if you are worried about that six weeks in between or anything!

I gained a ton of weight, was on it for about a year and a half. Never once had a period, got off the depo and still couldn’t get my periods back. I had to be put on medicine just to get them back. 3 months after I finished the medicine i got them back regularly but they was terrible. It took me a lot longer to get pregnant also. I’m now almost 19 weeks pregnant with my 4th! I don’t recommend BUT everyone’s body is different!

The depo shot literally messed me up. My cycle stopped for a couple months then I started spotting constantly for months. I gained so much weight. Once I got off of it I have very intense menstrual cycles. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone! It also messes with your ability to have children later on. I post a before and after photo of my weight gain.

I’ve used depo for over 10 years and have never had a problem.

I had a really bad experience with it. My periods would last for 14 days at a time and I would spot continuously in between. I’m sure everyone has a different experience with it. But I tried for 9 months (3 rounds of shots) and it never got better for me.

Depo caused me to be infernal, so I can’t have kids anymore and it’s been my biggest heart break.

1 Like

Noooooo😆
Made me bleed for 5months straight.:woman_facepalming:t4::sob:
Did the 2nd injection cause I thought maybe my body just has to get used to it :expressionless:

I bought every feminine product from my local store. All of em​:sob::weary:

*I think I didn’t bleed for (11) days out of five months-not consecutively might I add.:joy:
My poor honey, bless him

I went from 175 to 250 in a 5 months from depo. And I’ve struggled with weight since. That was at 15. I’m 31…I don’t even know why I got on it because I was still a Virgin and not thinking of having sex. Smh

Anything but depo. I gained 50 pounds and it would just not come off! I changed my eating habits I went to the gym 5x a week it would just not come off. I got off it and I lost 40 pounds in the first year…
I was also emotionless I had a bad attitude and that regulated it after I stopped depo as well.
I had no sex drive I just literally didn’t care about anything at all -not sure if it was actually depo or not but I think it was.

One good thing about it. I didn’t have a period for 3 years

Gained a lot of weight, basically had every awful side affect you read on the label. Also not good for bone density after 2 yrs. I wouldnt recommend it to my worst enemy!

1 Like

Gained a lot of weight. Was only on it for six months and had constant bleeding like a really light period the whole time and still had my regular period.

I hated it! I never got pregnant but I constantly had a light period every single day that never went away! Ever! I couldn’t take it anymore after 4 damn months and I went to the pill. I plan on just getting my tubes tied after having 4 kids I’m done

I didn’t have a period for years and years while I was on it. I gained weight, but not sure it was the depo as I had been on the depo for about 5 to 6 years before I started gaining weight. I loved it. Need to get back on it.

I had my 3 child while in depo. I never tried it again

No weight gain for me…had it since having first child…forgot about an appt then boom…pregnant with my 2nd baby 10 years later(36)… now back on it again and no issues…everyones different

Talk to your doctor if you have an auto immune disorder, an inflammation related disorder or a previous injury. These things will increase your chances of osteoporosis and further injuries from breakage or poor cartilage. I was hit by a vehicle as a pedestrian, this has put me at risk if on something like depo as I’m already waiting for one hip surgery, weakened bones would only increase my chances of a full hip replacement before I’m Middle Aged; I’m only 28 for perspective. So I’m on a traditional oral pill especially as another health issue limits my ability for iud (previous perforated my uterus).

Always tell your doctor if you do fall if you decide to take depo especially if it’s an emergency room so they know that you might break a bone easier. Best luck and hopefully it’s an option for you because taking it less often not daily is such a relief for mental health

Unfortunately for birth control it’s hit or miss. I’ve been on DEPO since November. It’s stopped my periods and I have not really gained weight, but my doctor also told me that the reason a lot of women do gain weight with it is because it intensifies your appetite. So I stay conscious of that and don’t over do it. Absolutely zero complaints. I switched from the IUD to the Depo.

I bleed every single day of the 3 months they last for was horrible won’t be doing it again

Depo took a lot of calcium from my teeth. My teeth are very sensitive now and break a lot. I have quite a few crowns now

I was on the shot for years. No periods. I did gain weight but no other issues. I have the nexplanon now and thinking about going back to the shot.

I got fat and it threw my hormones off like crazy.

1 Like

My mom had me and my sister on the depo shot years ago. But everyone i know since then has had bad reactions like weight gain and excessive bleeding and sterilization

1 Like

Had implanon for 9 years and it was great. Was told depo was the same. 1st month my hormones were crazy and had my period for about a month. It’s settled down now but not sure if I’ll get it done again.

I loved the depot was on it for 8 years. No issues. No periods no weight gain

I’ve been on depo of years. Works wonderfully AND no periods. :raised_hands:t3:

Love the depo been on it for about 10 years. Completely stopped my periods which i wanted. When your periods last 3-4 days and you use the biggest box of super plus tampons plus some. Also have severe cramps where you rather go thru a csection then have a period again. Then you get a shot and it completely stops miracle. I stopped because i gained 10 pounds after about 5 years 5 months later got pregnant and never had a period. Was told if i would have waited to have a period i would have had another set of twins. Been back on the depo since he was born back in 2015. Still no periods refuse to use anything else unless the dr will remove my uterus and overies.

I bled heavily for the whole time :woozy_face:

I loved it until I ended up pregnant and didn’t show on any of my tests for 3 months.

I’ve been working at a doctors office for 8 years now and they’ve almost always recommended IUD. The hormone one lasts 7 years and the non hormonal for 10. I myself have mirena on and off for 8 years, no periods.

Everybody reacts differently to the depo. I gained a lot of weight while on it and have switched to the pill because of the weight gain. My family planning nurse told me that the depo has some chemical in it that slows your metabolism and makes your body store fat and gain weight faster than normal. It can be maintained with regular exercise but it didnt help me unfortunately.

3 Likes

I personally loved depo. It was the only one that worked well with my body. I had no weight gain, no periods, no issues at all!

My daughter gained a lot of weight on it.

Tried it for 2 years. Not for me . I used Minera coil for years with no bother at all.
Depends what works for you personally. Many people have no problems with it

Got pregnant with my first kid in depo and I was not late for a doctor appointment once. So…yea

I did depo for 5 years. To be honest- I got super sick my first shot, flu like symptoms. Achy and tired. As long as I got my shot within the window I was totally fine! However if I was late, I would feel sick and when I stopped after 5 years I was so sick that I head aches, was throwing up, aches and chills again. Lasted about a week. Other than that I can honestly say I absolutely loved it. Never had an accident and got pregnant 2 years being off of it- mind you I was not actively trying and I only have one ovary that works as it should :heart:

I was fine on it before I had children but when I tried it since having children I gained a lot of weight, had irregular bleeding (lasting a few hours-days sometimes multiple times a month sometimes 4 months apart) and was a hormonal mess

Been on it twice loved it. Was the only birth control I took. No side effects except alittle extra weight but walking took it off

Depo made me gain a lot of weight. Around 80 lbs. Went with IUD that gives similar hormones instead and didn’t have that issue and IUD only needs to be changed once every 5 years.

I liked the Depp shot but I gained about 50 lbs while on it.

I used to be on it when I was a teenager and loved it! I now have a IUD.

Nooooooo. Made me gain a ton of weight and I felt like a psychotic bitch on it :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I’m convinced the depo shot contributed big time to me getting ovarian cancer.

I gained a lot of weight from the depo shot. It stopped my periods like it says it will but when I finally decided to get off of it I literally had a heavy period for 3 months and then spotted for another 3 months after that. So I had a period for 6 months.

I gained a lot of weight and bled constantly. But everyone’s body is different and will react differently.

I love the Depo shot.

I hated it. I gained nearly 60 pounds and bled for 6 months straight to the point I became severely anemic. Doctor kept telling me to “give it time” for my body to adjust to it. Once I stopped the injection, the weight began coming off. Go figure.

My teen daughters are on it. She’s not sexually active but it’s to stop her period. She likes it. No period is perfect.

Huge weight gain and I was Sybil

No. Most women gain a lot of weight and my personal experience with it cause me all sorts of issues. My cycles were very unpredictable. I bled for 3 months straight after one shot. Just didn’t feel good all the time. And I had a cancer scare because of the shot

I gained a lot of weight and bled for 3 months straight.

Yes but DON’T do it! I gained 100 lbs on it. When I mentioned I was gaining weight the nurse told me I was getting older and my body was changing. Years later a bunch of people said they had gained a bunch of weight on it too

I loved the Depo shot I had no side effects did that for about 5 years then tied my tubes after my second child.

Pro no period, stops an egg from being released.

Con weight gain and hair lose for me

Looking for a new kind of BC

I wanted to go on it but my doctor persuaded me to just keep using the pill because she said depo makes you gain weight. I don’t want to gain. :joy:

Plus she said if I wanted a child it would take quite a while after getting off of it to get pregnant compared to birth control (I don’t want any more kids now but didn’t know yet at the time).

I loved the depo no period and I never gained the weight.

I’ve never had any problems with it and been on it for years. Totally stopped my periods. N ive lost alot of weight (nearly 6 stone)while being on it too (had already put the weight on after 2nd baby) 1 injection every 3 months for me was better than remembering to take a pill daily and still having periods and the 2 weeks of cramps n feeling crappy n craving everything x im in the UK and unsure if that makes a difference to what ur given x

I was on it as a teen and never had problems with it, but when I requested it after my last pregnancy my doc basically told me not because it’s “a dirty dirty drug” as he out it. Said it steals all your calcium

I gained 15lbs but when I stopped the shot the weight didn’t just fall off, I had to work it off.

My friend got the depo shot and was informed this past year that she is infertile because she was on the depo shot for a prolonged time frame and it essentially shut down her reproductive functions.

I honestly loved it. Was on it on and off for 8 years, only came off it to have my kiddos. The only side effect for me was no periods, which I enjoyed :joy:

1 Like

I’ve been on depo goin on 5 years haven’t gained weight my gyno said less than 5 % gain weight on it but it is def the rumor … I love it no period and no pill everyday pretty painless compared to iuds was best choice for me but my doctor did tell me it’s not good for very long term use and to take calcium supplements with it since I’m coming up to 5 years

I was on the depo for a 2 years, I didn’t have my period which was great and then I started bleeding nonstop and ended up needing a hysterectomy at 32. Now with that said I don’t blame it all on the depo, but honestly, if you plan on having more kids, I wouldn’t get it. They say it takes a while to get pregnant again after being on the shot

I would talk to your doctor about the choices but depo is a good choice as but with that you have to make sure she’s staying to schedule for her next dose as I didn’t and got pregnant

I love the depo, I don’t get periods or any complications at all for that matter and after my first kid it only took me a year 2 get pregnant with my 2nd kid and I wasn’t even planned. I got off it cuz I just didn’t want 2 be on it anymore it took a few months to get my first cycle and after I got my first period cycle after being off it the next month I ended up pregnant again

Pros: no period. Also, if you periods are very heavey and you get rank cramps, it stops it. Also women who are going through menopause are put on it to stop the erratic period you get going through that phase in their life.
Cons: lots of weight gain. And if you read up on it, it can cause early osteoporosis, so make sure your doctor also gives you calcium and magnesium.
And fyi, you can still get pregnant on depo, i did.

I gained 106 pounds in less then a year. I had to have surgery to stop the bleeding after I had come off it then I had to have another dnc to get pregnant after 4 years of trying when I worked for Healthcare depro had been banned in certain states I personally don’t think it’s a good idea that weight took 20 plus years to drop too

Everyone I know with the exception of one person that had depo shots got pregnant. :woman_shrugging:t2:

I did the depo shot I gained weight with other bc I have not

Oh lord the weight gain!! I want to come off it but I can’t use anything els. No periods but migraines and weight gain.

My midwife actually told me today it’s not good for long term use… like 2 years max because of studies of it affecting bone density in prolonged use.

2 Likes

I’m on it I have been since I had my son he’s 2 and I don’t have periods anymore

I had a tubal pregnancy while I was on the depo shot.

I was on depo from 2007-2011, 18-22 and gained 120lbs. My normal cycle was totally MIA from 2007-2017. I started keto October 24th 2017 at 272.6 and within 2 weeks my cycle came back & was regular (31 days) by June 2019 and I’ve lost all that depo weight. I’m 5’0 I didn’t have any issues with hormones until depo then I was diagnosed with PCOS insulin resistance and estrogen dominance, blood work and ultrasound, I had gotten blood work and an ultrasound pre depo and it didn’t show anything out of the ordinary, and I broke my left leg almost 3 years after stopping depo. I had all over bone pain (especially my left hip) that was always overlooked by planned parenthood and they never once mentioned the importance of vitamin d and calcium while taking it. I started intermittent fasting January 1st 2020 at 222 and have been walking since starting keto along with using my elliptical crosstrainer, resistance bands and 5lb dumbbells. Today I’m 148 goal is 125. No family history of infertility or PCOS etc. I’m the only one who used depo and the only one who doesn’t have a child of my own, everyone else has at least 2.

I was on it for years. Lots of pros, really the only downside for me was it was hard to lose weight while on it. Main pro for me, no cycle starting as soon as I got on it. Also it’s nice to only have to get it every 3 months rather than something everyday. A con could be that it can take quite awhile for it to be out of your system so if you’re planning for more kids in the near future it might not be the best choice.

I got pregnant on the depo shot

Extreme weight gain. Weakens ur bones

1 Like