Is the depo good birth control?

Depoprovera has very high hormones. It screws up your body and mind in so many ways. I wish I had other long term options when I was younger. But depo was it back in 1999 for a teenager.

There are SO many more options now! I chose nexplanon. I’ve used depo-Provera, nuva ring, Mirena, and paraguard. Hands down, nexplanon is the least invasive, least cumbersome, low hormone, long term option.

No good ! Weight gain amongst other problems .

I’m just here to caution you that your doctor should not be “pushing” any type of birth control or medication… Giving guidance if you ask about different options, yes. But pushing? No. I might would find another provider….

1 Like

I put on 10+ kilos in less than 6m with the depo shot :sleepy:

I gained a lot of weight and went a year after coming off the shot to have a cycle and It was very very heavy to the point I went to see the doctor. She told me that is the worst birth control to choose

Horrible weight gain. Other then that it was fine

And I absolutely hate a pushy dr find another

Something I wish someone had told me before I took it was this… it can take up to over a year for it to completely stop effecting you. I took one shot directly after my oldest son was born. I thought I would give it a chance and if it didn’t go well I just wouldn’t take another after the first 3 month interval was up. I experienced heavy bleeding for 9.5 months straight :woozy_face: it was awful! But every bc effects everyone differently so what works for me may not work for the next person. And vice versa!

1 Like

If you wanna get fat and miserable.

Loss of period for a pretty much a year, major weight gain 40 LBS, stopped ovulating. My main cons. No pros for me. This was off ONE dose.

2 Likes

No. I gained about 50lbs on it. Would not stop bleeding for MONTHS. I only had 1 shot and that was before I left the hospital with my baby. I do not recommend it at all.

2 Likes

Be careful. It has nasty side effects.

1 Like

I had my period every single day for over a year with one single drop shot.
Never again will I get it.
My sister had the same issue
I was also very very angry all the time

1 Like

I was on it for a year and half and LOVED IT! I did bleed from the first shot to the second shot but once I got the second shot I never bleed again. I didn’t gain any weight and didn’t bleed until I came off it

My experience with it was excessive weight gain and constant fatigue. With the fatigue it didn’t matter how much or how little sleep I got every night…I was constantly tired. And I was constantly craving chocolate candy.
After 3 shots, 9 months, and too much weight gain I had had enough. I went back on the pill. Wasn’t thrilled about it but it was better than my other options at the time.
Oh and in those 9 months I only had 2 periods. I wasn’t sure if that was really healthy tbh.

2 Likes

I had funny turns with the depo - I kicked of at work and didn’t realise I had done it - no memory of it at all docs said my hormone level had gone too high so had to come of it x

Well it worked for its intended purpose but also made me bleed for 11 months :woozy_face:

1 Like

I was on it for years after my second child, it worked fine had no problems. I stopped it when we went Into lock down and fell pregnant within 5 months. I’m now back on it after my 3rd baby and are having nothing but issues. Constant headaches , fatigue, bleeding and my hormones are outta control. I definitely don’t recommend it anymore :woozy_face:

I bled constantly on it & my mood was terrible!! Swapped to the pill & loads better x

1 Like

I wouldn’t advice it if you suffer with depression / other mental illness

Not recommended for use longer then 12 months, I had the depo after my 4th in the meantime while i waited long enough for my body to heal and got the mirena

1 Like

I was on the depo from 15-17 and no weight gain no periods loved it. I’ve since had 3 kids and I’m now 26. I could remember to take the pill after my 3rd baby so I tried the patch. Well It didn’t stay on good enough for me to feel “safe” lol. So I got the nexplanon in my arm it last 3 years and is very similar to the hormones in the pill and patch and I love it. So far no noticeable change (I bled the first 2 weeks lol) after that it’s been great. Love not having to remember to take or change anything

2 Likes

Gained a ton of weight and still ended up pregnant. Not sure how, cause I had zero sex drive but my oldest child is a depo baby.

Horrible weight gain and mood swings for me

I was on it for yearrrssss. Dont take it unless u wanna gain alot of weight and be depressed!! By far the WORST birth control… I dont think there is really any pros… Considering a got pregnant with my 3rd child while on depo (got a shot at 7 weeks prego :expressionless:)

I hated it! It took my periods away, but my pms was 100 times worse. The cramps, moodiness, bloating… omg. I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy.

Nope. Gained a ton of weight, headaches and horrible mood swings.

I liked it a lot. Didn’t have to try to remember birth control so much (and fail to remember as well). No menstrual cycle, took a bit to conceieve after…

I gained 20 pounds in a month I didn’t like it personally but as far as preventing pregnancy it did the job for the 3 months I used it :woman_shrugging:t3:

My depo has a name!! It’s aliyah & she’s 10 now. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I’m on it now and have been on and off depo for 10+ years. I love it. No negative side effects. SUPER simple. And usually no period after the first few months. I have never used any other birth control. I tried the pill at 16 or 17 and it made me extremely sick so i immediately switched to the shot and have stuck with it ever since.

Your doctor probably gets a kick back for pushing it. It’s pretty common knowledge that depo is garbage

1 Like

I was on it for over 5 years. Excessive weight gain and risk of osteoporosis. It took a year for my cycles to come back & another year for them to be regular. First pregnancy following I miscarried. Did not experience any issues with pregnancy scares, but I would never do it again.

I was on it for 9 months and was on my period the whole time. Every time I would go in for the 3 months I would tell them about my period still going and they said it was normal and would stop. It didn’t stop until I got off

Nope! Gained weight and causes infertility! Also made me break an ankle because it messes with your bone density

I’ve been on it about 6 years. no periods, no mood swings… did the iud before that and hated it

If i could go back, I wouldn’t have gotten on the depo. I wasn’t properly educated prior to taking it, and as a young adult I thought “no period? Hell yeah, sign me up!” I bled for 3 months after before it stopped. I had never experienced even a headache then suffered for years with awful debilitating migraines. Not to mention the weight gain. But I started researching how to ween myself off it because I wanted to get pregnant. It took a few months for my periods to return, they were heavy and miserable and it took just over a year to get pregnant. I got pregnant with twins but miscarried on Valentines day of 2006. Just prior to ween off I was informed that I should have been taking a vitamin D supplement d/t the increase in osteoporosis, breaks etc. Everyone is different, but this was my personal experience. I’m not sure what was available then that was much better. I still have incredibly heavy uncomfortable periods. I was on it for almost 3 years.

I was on it for 2 yrs I believe years ago. My dr at the time told me to stop it because I would develop Ostioparosis. I have had an IUD for 2 yrs now and it’s great

I loved it. I was also in the Army so I didn’t really gain any weight bc it worked out all the time.

My mom was on it and it made her bleed everyday non-stop for a year straight & she ended up getting off of it because of that. I’ve saw other women say their hair fell out from it & how it eats away at your bones.