Is there a name for what my sister is doing?

I'm going through some issues with my sister.

Since I was pregnant back in 2016, she has used my ultrasound photos as her own, to try and trap guys into a relationship and/or pay her “child support” for her “child” she is ruuining relationships with her and our family, with guys and their famil and friends. Recently it came into light that she used our niece’s death (stillborn last year) as her own… she is 24, has a child of her own, lives at home, doesn’t work, ect. Her antics are just too much. I live 2000 miles away and am just so hurt for my brother and parents over all the bs she does. My parents wont kick her out due to her having an infant. I recently called her out on all her bs that she’s doing, because who in their right mind could fake a baby loss knowing my brother and I separately went through our own in the last year? Is there a name for what she is doing? Like a literally term? Something just isnt right with her.
Is there anything legally that can be done for what she’s doing?
Michigan is state she is in if that helps any either.

200 Likes

Munchausen syndrome by proxy. Keep an eye on that infant. This disorder is hard to battle legally. Something is going to have to happen to the infant before anything is done in most cases. Document everything you see that seems off. You can petition courts to force her into an evaluation.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Is there a name for what my sister is doing? - Mamas Uncut

has this lady got mental health issues? as this type of behaviour is not right.

13 Likes

If she’s taking money from people, it could be fraud.

10 Likes

She needs mental help. I understand your parents point and can respect them for not wanting to kick out their daughter and grandchild but someone needs to be getting her help.

11 Likes

mythomania or pseudologia fantastica

6 Likes

she could have a form of munchausen…
(its not only about making your kids sick for attention)

7 Likes

It sounds like she has mental health issues that need to be addressed.

4 Likes

Counciling she might be depressed

1 Like

She needs help before she gets into big trouble

2 Likes

She needs mental health help ASAP. Folks would sue her if it were someone else she was copying…

5 Likes

Oh damn…you need to get on a United front w your parents and get her out she sounds like she needs some tough love and therapy

She’s insane. She needs mental help but honestly she needs to be locked up. What she’s doing is not legal

6 Likes

Definately mentally unstable. Sorry no name though but there will be & I hope she gets the right help that she needs.

2 Likes

She could have borderline personality disorder. Whether or not she does, she definitely needs some mental help.

5 Likes

I mean she’s assuming your identity when she’s using your medical information, she’s committing fraud against anyone she’s collecting money from, and she sounds super unstable.

8 Likes

Call Dr Phil… no seriously he’s done a few shows on this very topic! It’s sick! She’s sick!

2 Likes

Before any of you say this is illegal it’s not. Dr Phil will tell y’all that! But it’s still wrong!

3 Likes

Yeah she’s called a conartist. She is running a con for money. That’s fraud and she’s probably mentally unstable. That’s not normal.

7 Likes

It’s a form of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Not just being narcissistic. Unfortunately it’s a real mental illness and they cannot recognize it within themselves so therapy and meds do absolutely no good. They will stay eternal victims and will also hurt anybody and anything to manipulate things for their own desires. It’s a form of sociopathic behavior and can also be psychopathic at times.

My ex husband has NPD and I almost died trying to help and save him. There is literally nothing to be done for them, they are born this way. Please look it up.

I’m sorry. The only thing anyone can do is completely remove themselves from a person like that. They have no empathy or compassion but are able to fake it and fake love when manipulating people who love them

6 Likes

That’s mental health issues that are very very serious, and she needs help now

1 Like

As long as she is not hurting her kid it is Munchausen. If she is hurting her kid it is Munchausen syndrome by proxy.

6 Likes

As a mother who also had to deliver a stillborn baby, it makes me sick to my stomach that she would do that…she needs to get some counseling for a start.So sorry you are going thru this

3 Likes

Also:

Pathological lying is a permanent feature. They will cry and act remorseful to manipulate you into believing them as they still carry on being absolutely destructive to anyone around them.

You cannot “love them better”. There is nothing anyone can do for them unfortunately. The sooner you recognize this and completely remove yourself, the sooner you can heal from what they’ve done to you emotionally and mentally. I spent years in therapy to fix the damage done to me.

7 Likes

I’m in Michigan, let me talk to her :rofl:

6 Likes

I knew someone that would send there selves flowers and act like it was from a boyfriend…act like they was talking to guys on the phone no one there on the other end post fake profile pics and talk to guys on there even took me once on one of her dates and found out she had posted a pic of me and was talking to the guy which by the way was so awkward … Im not sure what exactly was wrong with her but she was a compulsive liar you couldn’t believe anything she said also I know there was some kind of mental issue associated with it … Your sister She needs counceling and medication for sure… That poor babys death to act as if it was her own is way way to far … I don’t know a name for this but im with you something definitely needs to be done

1 Like

Being in a loss group I have to sadly say that women in there get their pictures stolen as well and used for others gain. It definitely is a mental condition. But getting her diagnosed is the issue. And I wouldn’t kick her out either as she needs support but definitely dont let her get away with it. She needs to take responsibility

4 Likes

I would certainly demand she return your sonogram pictures!

2 Likes

She needs to see a psychiatrist asap

2 Likes

Sounds to me like Factituous disorder!

5 Likes

Definitely keep calling her out… publicly if you have to. She needs to be held accountable. I for one have never experienced the loss of a child but I have a very close friend who has and it’s disturbing to say the least that another woman would straight lie about having gone through the same thing. Why would anyone even want to pretend to have experienced such a loss??

6 Likes

Not sure what the laws are in Michigan but maybe the family can have her committed. She needs serious help before it gets to the point of her making her child sick or worse.

5 Likes

This is called “mental” and she needs to be in a psyche ward

3 Likes

If she is getting money for false information, why isn’t it fraud?!?

4 Likes

Yea there is a name just not sure what the name is she needs help

1 Like

Munchausen Syndrome.

4 Likes

She possibly needs mental help

1 Like

I’d seriously try to have her committed. That’s not normal at all.

1 Like

Pathological liar or narcissistic.

3 Likes

Borderline personality disorder and there are great books to read about about it, I’ve attached a photo of one of them. Also codependency between her and the family she lives with (not sure if you said parents) so a good one for your parents may also be “Codependency No More” by melody beatle (not positive on the spelling for the author).

4 Likes

Your sister is mentally ill. She needs help!

3 Likes

I think the name is scumbaggery

5 Likes

Yes. She has Münchhausen by proxy. She lies to get attention. Doesn’t matter to her who she hurts. She’s mentally ill and needs a shrink

7 Likes

She is probably a sociopath.

2 Likes

Prayers to you for healing and also to her for the mental help she needs

2 Likes

It’s illegal fraud. Report her.

7 Likes

legally, I would begin by taking custody of that baby.

5 Likes

Pathological lier they cnt help but lie, make things up, and sometimes they even believe their own lies

5 Likes

STOP GIVING HER THE ULTRASOUND OR PAPERWORK! Somebody is gonna hurt that child
I’d she doesn’t stop
It…

4 Likes

You may need to look into getting custody of her child as well as getting your sister committed or at least in therapy. Someone will obviously have to take her, walk her into the office and make sure she gets in the therapist’s room, or monitor her to be sure she is on screen with the therapist so she doesn’t blow it off and lie about it. I’m so sorry. Was she always a liar or is this recent?

5 Likes

She needs help and someone better be watching her only child closely and her interactions with said child.

3 Likes

Legally, what she’s doing is fraud. Behaviorally, she is a psychopath and a pathological liar.

7 Likes

sounds like a mental issue,or she likes to screw people up with her crap,start telling everyone that you know what she is doing.maybe some one will confront her with her own shit.your parents aren’t helping her.

Cathfish… Call Nev and Cammie.
She is catfishing guys

6 Likes

NPD there’s no cure for it unfortunately :cry:

1 Like

Yes, crazy. She’s crazy.
Lol

2 Likes

With you being 2000 miles away it will be difficult for you to do anything. Your parents would be the people who can try and help her. Maybe they could talk to social services or her doctor. I’m not certain if you should involve the police. What she is doing with using your ultrasound to try and get money from guys is “Extortion” and that is a criminal act particularly if she has received money from any of the men. I would worry that she may escalate and use her baby in some way to get money. She definitely needs help. She’s old enough to know better!. Is she getting any state aid as a single parent? Bottom line have your parents talk to someone about her actions. If they go to church, their pastor would be a safe place to start. Good luck.

3 Likes

Munchausen by proxy, pathological liar. Who knows. She needs to see a therapist. And someone needs to get her baby. Who knows what she’ll do to that baby for attention…

5 Likes

It falls under fraud and she could get a good amount of jail time. Maybe it’s time to turn her in so she can get help and learn that what she is doing is wrong.

3 Likes

I believe the police could be called. I think what she is doing is illegal.

2 Likes

Yes the term is habitual liar. Sadly i dont think theres much you can do

2 Likes

If she is scamming men into sending money you can report this to the FBI at ic3.gov

6 Likes

Mental hygiene you can go to magistrate and file they go unaware to the person’s home arrest them take them to court for you if found guilty of needing help they will out her in a mental ward for 72 hr and longer if needed I don’t know all the detail but sounds like she needs the help even tho she knows it’s wrong she’ll still do it… it’s for attention their is a name that staet.with a M…

1 Like

Oooof. Mental illness of sorts for sure. She may not even know or realize what she is doing is wrong sadly. I am so so sorry for what she has done to you and your brother. No “normal” person would ever do that. :slightly_frowning_face: She needs help.

2 Likes

I didn’t read all but from what I did it’s Fraud. Very illegal. She could get jail time if caught. Call police or tell her to stop. You could also be charged for aiding and abetting. Yes, you. I understand your it involved or don’t approve but, why does she have your pics? This is what the police will ask ,not me. Do the right thing and stop it. Now.

4 Likes

Young one sounds as if she may have a mental illness/condition- just in the words you’ve shared - there seems to a few- You need to have a family meeting and/or intervention- soon - because seriously if she screws with the wrong guy and his heart strings - bad things could happen.
I gotta ask does she possibly have an addiction? You said something is right with her - also I suggest keep notes/journal regarding her interactions with you and her illegal type behavior- your family too- this will be helpful if/when you all decide to help her. One more thing sweetie you might talk with a lawyer regarding her and her child. May Our Mighty Creator Bless You kiddo.:heart::v:t4::pray:t4:

6 Likes

Yeah it’s called she’s mentally unstable and honestly I’m not sure she should have a child, this sounds like the start of munchausen syndrome

4 Likes

There is a name for her and it is “Con Artist”. She is going to use anybody and anything she can as a means to an end for her own financial gain. Therapy isn’t going to make her stop, the cops are.

4 Likes

Sounds like a personality disorder could be either of the clusters but you’d need to check with a psychiatrist for a diagnosis.

1 Like

My husband’s girlfriend (we were separated) told us she was pregnant, then used fake images from google for ultrasound pictures and then said she had a stillborn/miscarriage and sent images again from google showing a stillborn. She was never in fact pregnant at all, she was a crazy girl, seeking any attention she could.

3 Likes

Therapy is what she needs but forcing her to go to therapy isn’t gonna help. If she ever got money from a guy and he found out she could go to jail if they can prove it. Accusations of a child would lead me to assume he would save those messages. You need to talk to whoever in the family s on your side and get whatever proof you can without it coming to light. Then when you have something solid approach her. Fly back if you have to. Lay it out in front of her and tell her she has two choices. Get help or you go public with it. At that point she has the option of which road she wants to travel. You don’t honestly have to go public if she decides the hard way. You could use it as a test to the waters. At some point she is going to go to far and it’s going to become a dangerous situation for her and her child.

She needs to go see a dr ASAP that is far beyond normal, please seek help for her

2 Likes

Sounds horrible but someone needs to take the baby from her. I would call it munchausen by proxy technically u dont know what she could possibly do to her child to get that attention. My i cant say she may be on here but use to do it constantly sometimes she still does even raised money money for me and my daughter after we lost everything only to use the money for herself and me and my daughter are still struggling. She needs attention and wants gifts so guilt trips ppl or finds something that im going through that she can use. I love her but we have all pretty much settle with the fact that this is how she is. Insane and our personal prison sentence.

4 Likes

It sounds like she found a way to be a scam artist :woman_facepalming:t2:

3 Likes

Part of this sounds like Munchausen’s Syndrome. We hear a lot about Munchausens by proxy (Gypsy Rose Blanchard), but Munchausen’s can be a direct syndrome as well.

7 Likes

Mentally something is wrong maybe your family needs to have an intervention and get help for her

3 Likes

I would definitely be worried about her mental and emotional state.

2 Likes

Was this happening prior to her having her own child? Maybe something triggered her mindset like PostPartum maybe? I hope you all get the help you need :heartpulse:

4 Likes

Here’s my two cents.

The parents should go to court and get her proved to be an unfit mother. She doesn’t sound mentally well. Get custody of her child and offer to get her help.

If she refuses then she’s past the point of helping. That’s when I’d file to get her legally evicted and cut ties.

Let her figure it out on her own. All they are doing is enabling this pathetic behavior.

9 Likes

My sister is the same

2 Likes

My ex just recently went through this. We refer to her as the psycho. She saved and edited pictures from the internet, used them as her own to create a fake loss in order to try get him to stay with her. Showed him ultrasound and everything.
He realized that the baby she posted, the videos she showed him, they all did not add up with the gestational age she claimed to have been when she “lost” the baby.
He called her out for that shit. And now everyone is blocked. We heard she deleted her “loss” post after being called out

She sounds like a narcissist person and mental issues she is very dangerous she can be charge with fraud. Your sister needs help or she going end up in jail

1 Like

Sounds like histrionic personality disorder a bit.

2 Likes

Definitely mental illness

2 Likes

Idk if there’s a term for it but my sister does the same shit it’s happened so much we don’t believe shit when she says she’s pregnant she has one son she lost cause of her neglecting him and now pretends to be pregnant to keep guys I’ve never given her my ultrasound so she just uses ones from the internet I just keep my distance

The term is “crazy” and go on dr.Phill

5 Likes

This is a very narcissistic style behavior and nearly sociopathic.

As a borderline person, I can tell you I, or anyone I know with borderline personality disorder would not do this. Borderline personality disorder is caused by a traumatic childhood/ and or neglectful childhood. Not saying I know your situation, but borderline usually is more manic, overly loving or numb, obsessive, intuitive, guarded… the most manipulative trait we usually possess is getting to know someone so well we end up taking on their personality or interests to BENEFIT a relationship with them.

She is definitely more of a narc type personality. :grimacing:

7 Likes

she is a hypochondriac

1 Like

There was a girl on Dr Phil like that. It was crazy and sounded a lot like what is going on here. I’m pretty sure she was sent to seek treatment. Sounds like your sister needs it. Her child should not be exposed to that behavior. Hope your parents stop enabling her and hold her accountable to start taking the right steps.

3 Likes

Münchausen syndrome?

5 Likes

She’s a very very MENTALLY ill person, no one in their right minds would do this, she’s luck she isn’t in jail over anyone pressing charges against her. She needs a psychiatrist ASAP! i don’t think she’ll stop what’s she’s doing and do worse!!:flushed::flushed::flushed:

4 Likes

This sounds like narcissistic personality disorder to me. Seems like she just doesn’t care who she hurts

3 Likes

She sounds like a narcissist and a pathological liar. She needs mental help. As for your role in it all, there isn’t much you can do except distance yourself from her as much as possible. Unfortunately, your parents are enabling her.

6 Likes

The first part of your question –

a person who lies and invents stories/scenarios to elicit sympathy
– sounds like a form of Munchausen Syndrome (as others have mentioned):

a factitious disorder wherein those affected feign disease, illness, or psychological trauma to draw attention, sympathy, or reassurance to themselves [Wikipedia]
The next bit,

in order to manipulate and further their own advancement at the cost of others
is well summarized when you use the term “psychopathic social climber”. Finally, the rest of the elaborations in your post sound like hallmark traits of someone with narcissistic personality disorder:

a personality disorder characterized especially by an exaggerated sense of self-importance, persistent need for admiration, lack of empathy for others, excessive pride in achievements, and snobbish, disdainful, or patronizing attitudes

7 Likes

Someone who doesn’t deserve that baby

1 Like

Many terms…
I would list them but I believe everyone has them covered!

1 Like

I believe it’s sociopathy.

2 Likes

Perhaps she has Factitious disorder … she definitely needs to seek a professional… makes me worried she may harm her child for the attention she will get.

5 Likes

Miss representation it is illegal or fraud it’s also illegal shows very poor character

2 Likes