Is there anything I can do to prevent shedding in dogs?

Your kids wanted a dog. Time to put your kids to work

Should have gotten a dog that doesn’t shed lol

Get a dog that doesn’t shed.

Tell me you did zero breed research without telling me you did zero breed research.

You got a walking wig and now you’re up in arms about hair? Is this real? Where’s Ashton? We’re being Punk’d!

3 Likes

You want a Great Pyrenees to stop shedding? Good luck. Maybe next time research what you’re getting before you get it. In the meantime, keep vacuuming! :joy:

Get a shark vac mop it has a swifter on the bottom and a little vacuum on board just run around your house once a day with that and you’re set. I have a corgi and he has all the hair in the world on his butt trust me when I tell you there is a fine layer of hair everywhere and just zip around the floor with it less than 5 minutes I’m done

Research any dog extensively before getting the damn thing. It’s not the dogs fault you don’t have any idea about the breed

The groomer is going to be your best friend.

I have two Danes and a frenchie, healthy diet and good grooming.

Suck it ip Buttercup! I have a Siberian Husky that sleeps in my bed. Buy a Vacuum cleaner, and a roll of Lint remover, and get on with life, lol!..It is what it is.

Brushing, a shower once a month or so. You can getting a shedders took that helps.

Had you never seen a great Pyrenees? :joy::joy:

Might have researched the breed first.

Take to a groomer every six weeks or so.

Did you not like…google it before you got it?

laughs in 6 chihuahuas

2 Likes

Brush the dog daily.

1 Like

Shave your dog bald that way no casting yer welcome

Yeah, put his ass outside

Keep 'em outside then no problem.

Get a roomba & next time, pick a short haired breed :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

Swiffer, wet and dry, and lots of lint removers, quick fix, daily.

Buy a Robot vacuum. It can run for hours.

Try some Dino vite food supplant on line only.

2 Likes

I bought a great brush for the undercoat and it is way better around here. but my big dog is also short haired. blue heeler cross but this brush super helps. I got mine at Walmart for a bit less .https://www.amazon.ca/Grooming-Brushes-Dematting-Deshedding-Undercoat/dp/B08Z38YS44/ref=sr_1_33?dchild=1&keywords=deshedding+brush+for+dogs&qid=1625283078&sr=8-33

Brewers yeast may help slow it down

To solve problem is to shave hair off! LOL!

Accept that this is your life now. Lol

It’s part of the responsibility.

Wipe him down with dryer sheets😉

I had one you could knit a sweater daily.

Buy a Roomba. Let it do the work.

There’s no escaping that
Comes with the territory

Get a robot sweeper/ mop and then live your best life with your fluffy boy!

Deebot 850 best money you will spend

Buy a furminator. It’s a fancy brush.

2 Likes

Should have done some research on this breed before you got it :woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging: you are doing what you can do for the most part. This breed sheds a lot, do some research and see if there is anything else you can do to help. I love this breed but thats one of the reasons why I wont get one. I dont want hair everywhere!! Its bad enough with my pitbull

Sounds like you didn’t do any research about the dog breed you chose before getting it. Shame.

As a groomer #1 do not shave #2 brush daily #3 get on a grooming schedule with a professional #4 you have a dog that sheds 365 days out of the year it’s going to shed alot and hair will become a new home fashion statement :blush:

Absolute stupidity on the families part getting a big dog Iike that and not doing any back ground checks on the breed

Collect the hair in balls. Rub it a lot until it gets matted, then tease it out into flat sheets and iron it with a hot steam iron until it shrinks together.
Bingo !
Natural felt that you can stitch together into a bedspread, or moccasins, or pot holders or (if you are creatively limited) just leave it in balls and sew them on the ends of your laces. Cuuuute…

Brittany Jacobs any advice??

1 Like

Probably the best way to handle this would be to do your research before getting a baby that is pretty known for how much they shed.

Buy a shedding blade and call around local groomers and ask if they offer a deshed treatment. You can youtube deshed treatments to see how its done, its really cool.
Also DO NOT feed your dog coconut oil, it can cause pancreatitis and leaky gut.

I have a yellow lab and I vacuum at least 2-3x a week (sometimes only 1x depending on my schedule), but 2x in one cleaning (vacuum, empty the container, vacuum again). Still have hair everywhere. My mom has a Great Pyrenees and I think she just deals with the hair, despite vacuuming, brushing, shedding shampoos etc.

Get a de shed done at a groomer!

3 Likes

Honestly you may need to just embrace it :joy: I’m a husky momma and they shed like crazy but their coats are super important for them. I’m constantly vacuuming everything but I knew what I was getting into with their breed so i prepared with vacuums and floor brushes and coat brushes and couch brushes before I brought them home… also depending on the breed the robot vaccuums do not work there’s just so much hair and my mom has a great and she uses a bisell crosswave pet pro

1 Like

Get him groomed they have special tools that can get the job done. Probably should have thought of that when ya got the dog lol. Pyrenees are so wooly and their coats are long.

Lots of brushing, vacuuming, and professional grooming. They will teach you how to care for their coat as well.

1 Like

First off, you need to do your research before buying a dog. If you did, you would of learned that even with constant brushing and regular baths, they will still shed. Also, if you’d done your research on other breeds, you would see that their are some that don’t shed as bad. I have a Dalmatian and an Australian Shepherd. With the Dalmatian it’s a running joke that they only shed 1 time a year, but for 365 days. The Aussie only sheds in the spring. And I wouldn’t trade them for the world.

I have a German shepherd and hardwood floors and I have a robot vacuume (like a roomba but I got a cheaper brand), I love it. Works great for the dog fur.

The kids wanted the dog, get them a broom and dustpan and let them older ones trade off sweeping up the dog hair. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A roomba helps keep it off the floor. We have a husky, I can sweep and mop then turn the roomba on and it will be full of hair

Mine has short hair…isn’t built for winter…but he still sheds like crazy…i have hardwood floors too n have too sweep multiple times a day n each time its like where the f is all this hair coming from! You don’t even have that much! He’s a pit bull…hes the most emotional dog i have ever had…he thinks hes people…an refuses to be left out of anything…even a conversation…gotta put his two cents in…
:woman_facepalming::woman_shrugging::joy:

I have a GP and honestly you just have to get used to it. They blow their coats twice a year and even between that it’s still a lot to keep up on. I just keep a lint roller on hand at all times. Lol

Buy a roomba or any robot vacuum

1 Like

Roomba! I have 6 dogs, I run Rosie everyday to keep up on the fur

We have 4 great pyrenees and honestly there’s nothing you can do about the shedding even with constant brushing but that just comes along with owning a Great Pyrenees :blush: just whatever you do don’t ever shave your Pyrenees!

1 Like

I want a roomba. But I have a bissel cross wave and it honestly has been a game changer for me. And a steam cleaner for the couches.

Use a rake and get the under coat. He’s still gonna shed tho but not as bad. You picked a great dog but unfortunately they shed like crazy unless you shave them. I have four cats and that’s seriously my biggest complaint as well

Go get the firminator and deshed done at the Groomers… I had a Husky and now have two German Shepherds… The shedding is insane…But when I take them in you’d never know my dogs have ever she’d a day in their life.

SHOULD HAVE DONE YOUR RESEARCH. Pyrenees shed unless you do grooming every few months.

1 Like

those dogs shed is pup on a good.food? food plays a role.in their coat

Robovac!!! I have the Eufy, it’s made for pet owners!!!

Kong grooming tool is amazing got a collie it helps tremendously

Get a robot vacuum. I had a Saint Bernard and with three little ones, the sweeping was endless. It helped so much! I also kept her hair groomed.

I had a golden which said alot…after she passed we got a short hair dog…still sheds…gotta live with it if u love her enough to love n raise

Our vet had told us 1 fish oil tablet a day will greatly reduce shedding. The same ones humans take

I had a dog that shed a lot. It helped to limit the area he was allowed to be in. We only allowed him in 3 rooms. Never the kitchen. I Loved him so dearly but someone in our neighborhood poisoned him after he got away from me taking him to potty

How do you get a breed that sheds a lot, get mad about it, all without knowing it’s what they’re known for…??? It’s common knowledge. God I hate people who get dogs and don’t do any research about the breed they’ve picked.

92 Likes

I’d recommend trying a furminator if you’ve just been using regular brushes. Other than that, dogs shed. I can sweep every single day and still fill up the vaccum with dog fur. Embrace it. Just part of what comes along with owning a dog

Besides getting groomed regularly, there’s not much you can do. I bought a pet hair specific vacuum and use it every day for our 2 shedding dogs. It is annoying to have to do, but I love the dogs like family and well…you do what you need to do for your family.

It comes with owning a Pyr… sorry. And prepare yourself for the big “blow out” about twice a year when he will lose his entire undercoat. That takes a week or so and you will KNOW it is happening. You will pull huge handfuls of hair of with minimal to no effort. But yes, Virginia… your new favorite color for your wardrobe is dog hair. On the bright side - these are such intelligent, independent dogs…. Read up and youtube on them. And they aren’t here for a long time -so give them lots of love :heart:

Maybe you shouldn’t have gotten that dog breed if you didn’t want any shedding :joy:

Great Pyrenees will always shed. I’ve had several.

I have two white Bichons, no shedding!! No kidding! It’s awesome!! However I took in two rescue cats and every night I have to brush them because they do shed. But it’s something you just have to deal with and I love all my pets so much, I will do everything I can.
Having 6 kids as well is probably a lot!
Good Luck Momma, I’m sure you are doing the best you can. Maybe you can put Monday thru Saturday tickets in a bag, shake it up and tell each child to pick one. They each get a day of the week to

Sounds like you should have picked a less furry breed to begin with if shedding is your issue :joy:

Get one of those self vacuum cleaner and program it to vacuum every 3 to 4 hours or how many times you want. It will vacuum and go back to it home base with will empty itself, but you will have to empty the home base . These vacuum cleaners cost some where between 3 to 5 hundred dollars. My granddaughter has one. It will vacuum carpet or hardwood floor. I believe she order it from Amazon.

1 Like

Love your dog and the joy it brings the kids. Stop stressing unless there’s really something to stress about.

Keep sweeping I do but in the end the my dogs are worth it.

1 Like

I’ve had 3 yorkshire terriers and not once do they shed fur

Should have got a gsd they only shed twice a year for 6 months at a time. Take it to a groomers and see if you can have its coat blown

We had 3 St Bernards all at the same time. Get a couple of roombas, many lint rollers and leather furniture. Lol

1 Like

Yorkies and shitzu had both and don’t shed.

Next time get a poodle… or labradoole… And a roomba

Get a robot vacuum! It will change your life x

1 Like

They are outdoor dogs for one

Groomer every 6-8 weeks. Well worth it.

Shave him down he isn’t a show dog he’s family and he isn’t going to care

I know you must be going insane with it but that breed blows its coat atleast twice a year unless you get him professionally groomed and maybe even shaved for the summer would help and he or she would grow it back by fall n winter

1 Like

You bought a big ass hairy dog and didnt think about the shedding before hand? :rofl::rofl: :woman_facepalming:t2:

You got the hairiest dog you could find and then expected he wouldn’t shed… hey ive got some oceanfront property in arizona if your looking for a good deal

Dogs shed. Cats shed

DakPets Pet Grooming Brush Effectively Reduces Shedding by up to 95% Professional Deshedding Tool for Dogs and Cats https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CD0H1ZC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_SJHTF23WEDC71B4KG1HP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Shark IQ Robot Self-Empty XL RV101AE, Robotic Vacuum, IQ Navigation, Home Mapping, Self-Cleaning Brushroll, Wi-Fi Connected, Works with Alexa https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S864GPW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_VX03MGA9Y6F4H9V6DMKZ

Keep sweeping …& love him even more.

1 Like

Groomers, he needs his coat blown out.

1 Like

I have 2 great pyrs! It doesn’t stop! Get a roomba

Furmiator brush. And you have the wrong breed if you don’t like hair​:rofl::joy:

1 Like