Is this normal for baby appointments?

Is it common for most pediatricians to make you undress your babies for checkups? I’ve always seen friends post their babies in nothing but their diapers at their baby’s appointments. But my son’s pediatrician never made me undress him.

79 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Is this normal for baby appointments? - Mamas Uncut

Yes, always have to strip them to a diaper. With all 3 of mine.

1 Like

Yes it is common I don’t know exactly medically why only thing I ever thought of is to make sure we don’t beat our kids :joy::joy:

6 Likes

Yes I have 2 and have always stripped them down to a clean dry diaper. I would be finding a different doctor if there are problems already.

1 Like

Yes with all 4 of mine

Yes to get a proper weight as well

2 Likes

Yes always strip down n clean diaper

1 Like

Yes! Specially for weight check

2 Likes

Yes to check spine alignment or any other issues. Also to check weight etc.

1 Like

Yes with both of mine.

We just had a baby, she’s almost 3 weeks old and each appointment we have to strip her down to a diaper so they can get all the vitals and for doctor to check her color and listen to lungs

1 Like

Yes I have to strip them down to a diaper when they get their measurements. I believe clothes come off for when they are being weighed though

2 Likes

Yes! Absolutely normal to bring a soft blanket, that baby bout to be naked.

1 Like

I always figured to get a good look at baby. No hidden hurts or bruises

1 Like

Yes we’ve always had to strip them down to diapers to get a proper weight measurement. When they were newborns they were completely naked to get their weight taken

1 Like

Yes and have a clean diaper on

I strip mine down for the weight check and then the doctor does a quick check all over their bodies before we put the clothes back on.

It depends no I didnt have to strip all of them every time

Yes! We always have to—down to their diaper and then diaper off for the weight check. I always dress them in something easy to get off and on (a zippered onesie works well). Take a small blanket to wrap them in.

1 Like

Yes. So they can get an accurate weight.

They usually do have them undress, yes.

Just to dry clean diaper

Yes, for the USA, I’m from the UK, it’s not common there at all

Yes they strip kids down to check for signs of abuse and weight. They also check older kids with clothes off for puberty development at about 8 or 9.

2 Likes

Yes u have strip them down at the appointment.she always tells me to take everything off except for nappy and then the nappy comes off when she is weighting her then dressed again.I always put something quick and easily on her for appointments so that it won’t take so long undressing and dressing her again

Yep down to a dry diaper so the weight check is most accurate.

1 Like

then ask him/her why they are not doing a full body check. You & everyone else, must remember, they are working for you, They need to do a full complete exam on your baby, If this or lack of what they aren’t doing, leave, find another pediatrician.

You think it would be necessary to fully check the baby out, just make sure everything is as its supposed to be…js…but im not a dr…

Mine always has us have my daughter in a diaper for weight and to check her out I think it’s to help get an accurate weight but it’s normal

1 Like

Yes just a clean diaper

Yes ma’am. They get accurate weight plus check over your baby from top to bottom making sure everything is forming right with their little bodies and seeing if anything is wrong. Mine checked their privates for infections,abuse, etc. You never know what can happen to your kids when you arent around them. Yes it’s sad but unfortunately all too common

2 Likes

They often will do safety checks so naked baby says more than dressed baby. As an adult In always asked if anyone hurts me at home. I have Fibromyalgia so Im covered in bruises, I say I am the only one beating up on me. Lol it’s not so funny. My body is always looking like Im beat up.

I have this bruise on my upper arm looks like someone grabbed me. I have no idea where it came from.

Yes down to diaper, then pediatrician unfastened the diaper and checks hip joints and a overall visual for anything out of the ordinary. Completely normal. I would be be finding a new doctor if they didnt do a complete check of my little one.

3 Likes

Undress as in booty naked? No but my daughters pediatrician would check her bottom half then wed put the diaper back on to finish the appointment

3 Likes

My son just turned 6 years old and had his 6 year wellness visit and they still make him strip down to his underwear

1 Like

Yes because accurate weights are needed for some medications.

I always had undressed mine down to their diaper for full exams.

Yes it’s very normal for that they do it a lot to check the baby tummy and other things on a baby

Our pediatrician does for the real little ones. As they get older it stops. But it is completely normal. They just want to be about to visually examine the child.

1 Like

Yes, completely normal

1 Like

They should. In order to check everything. Even the diaper has to be taken off

2 Likes

Stripping babies down to their diaper is totally normal at appointments and it helps them make sure the baby doesn’t have any visible signs of abuse or any abnormalities.

1 Like

Did they weigh him? For all my children’s check ups always undressed down to diaper only

All the way till the 2.5yo appt.

1 Like

My son just had his 4 year appointment and had to take pants off at least for vaccines in the thighs and lifted his shirt to check spine and lungs. Also pulled underwear down a bit to check. My 12 and 14 year olds even get full body checks I think it’s to look for abuse and medical issues we may not notice.

I’m a boy mom and they usually make me put him in his diaper for weighing and stuff and then the pediatrician will usually pull his diaper down and check his circumcision but that’s it.

1 Like

I would get a new pediatrician if he is not chucking your child or asking that all the clothing be removed.

3 Likes

Yes. Even 10 years ago I had to undress my oldest all the way. Still to this day that have you do that with your kids.

1 Like

My kids the medical asst has my babies striped down for weight then I would put fiaper back on after doctor would come in and ask permission to undo the diaper to look for diaper rash and put it back on .to sit there naked no that’s not normal .

Yes very normal! Us mamas just take photos before or after they are done checking out the child :slight_smile:

1 Like

Normal my daughters 2.5

I’ve had 2 kids and the most Drs have done is undo diaper to check out make sure everything looks “normal”

1 Like

Yep, very normal at well baby checkups.

Yes, I’ve always had to undress my boys. My last dr had baby gowns I would put on them. They also check the boys under the diapers to check their boy parts and make sure they have 2 balls. They still check theirs at 15 and 8 I step out of the room or turn around. It’s usually only for their yearly check ups though or monthly depending on the babies age and issue you brought them in for

We’ve always had to have ours in a diaper after vitals

Yes every time. When my little was tiny I remember I sent my husband she was sick and he called me after and was like “I AM NEVER DOING THAT AGAIN, you never told me I had to undress her to get her weight than dress her to walk to the room than undress her for the dr and than dress her again.:joy::joy::joy::joy: he said I was fricken panicking and sweating :joy::joy::joy::joy:

6 Likes

Yes, most pediatricians do that until your child hits the one yr mark I believe

Yes with my sons to check their circumcisions to make sure they were healing okay. Not for my daughter though. Just took her clothes off. Kept her diaper on to weigh her.

Yes it is because they’re actually checking the baby to make sure it’s not being abused

3 Likes

My pediatrician does. Particularly for newer babies when they weigh them and what not. Yes its normal.

1 Like

Yes. They usually have them undressed so they can get accurate weight etc. Then dr usually asks for permission to check in their diaper for rashes etc.

2 Likes

For physicals yes it’s common practice for a quick little check up, no. For a check up they check the issue at hand and deal with that alone.

Yea usually down to the diaper then. When she was really young he used to open diaper real quick to take a peak. Nothing to be alarmed over.

2 Likes

Normal. They’re looking for issues or injuries or deformaties.

It often depends on the doctor, but no it’s not uncommon for infants.
First and most common is that it’s often done to get an accurate weight for a baby. With babies ounces are taken into consideration, so clothes and even slightly wet diaper can change a baby’s weight.
They also undress them to check for diaper rashes or that circumsisions (for boys) are healing properly ECT.
Then If baby is recieving any vaccines that visit their pants will have to be removed as well.
So a lot of parents just choose to leave baby undressed until the end of the appointment to keep little from getting fussy at the back and forth.

1 Like

Mind does for accurate weight. Once they grown and use the scale they stand on they no longer undress.

When mine was a baby, he would have to be in a diaper to be weighed, then his pediatrician would have me undo his diaper so he could look at his circumcision incision, check for signs of abuse, rashes etc. He did this for the first 3 or 4 appointments, and that was it. After that, he only asked to look if my son had an issue, and at his 1 year checkup. Very common!

2 Likes

For all my girls I’ve had to undress them when they were babies

Yes, so they can get their accurate weight. Once they can stand on their own they stand on the scales and don’t underdress.

1 Like

Yes both of my children had to be completely undressed when they were newborns.

Yep and you take the diaper off on the scale so they can get a proper weight.

2 Likes

Um really should be to make sure they’re checking for a multitude of things. (Hair can be cutting off circulation on toes or fingers that has happened to us) strawberry spots or beginnings of hemangiomas and a million other things… it’s not a thorough check at all if they’re not looking at the infants body to make sure nothing array.

2 Likes

Naked and a new diaper is typically normal before weight is taken

usually are undressed for closest accuracy and checks. however my son clung for Dear life the entire time so the nurse had to help me with all of it😂

They only do that to examine the body especially for babies they check everything even weigh them it’s normal I have had a different doctor for all my kids and they’ve all had to be undressed, when they get older they do not do that at all unless you ask to check something or to check spine during a physical

Yeah our nurse always had us undress down to a diaper while we were waiting for the dr

Also if you have a son they will checking his testicles to make sure they are down and stay down, because ether can go back up and then they can die inside the abdomen. That’s what happened to one of my sons

1 Like

Yeah it’s pretty normal.

1 Like

Normal for accurate weight and other things they check.

Yes even diapers off.

On Well child checks yes…

most will have u do it for the weight

Every appt we’ve went to they’ve had my son get undressed to his diaper and then check in his diaper quickly as well . Just to check weight, length, growth , etc

Yes. Its so the doctor can get a good look at the childs body. Pediatricians dont want to examine clothes. They want to see the childs body and it helps get an accurate weight.

Yes, they are supposed to check everything

1 Like

Naked and no diaper until after weight . then they usually do a quick one two front and back and if they see nothing "abnormal " you can then redress and sit in the chair or on the exam table and they’ll finish the rest of check up (eyes ears reflexes etc) then it’s question time where you should both have time ask questions and discuss anything needed .

Nope they never made me undress mine

I always hated it. I switched to a family dr after he turned 1 that doesn’t make us do that

Normal. 100% I have 4 kids and they’ve done that until they were like 6-8 months

1 Like

Yes. To get accurate weight.

1 Like

Just while they weigh the baby then they have us out the diaper back on

Very normal. It’s to make sure that everything is seen clearly. Can’t see if something is happening if clothes are still on. Plus it helps getting an accurate weight as well.

They always make me undress them down to a diaper…. It makes sure they get an accurate weight and it also gives them a chance just to make sure no abuse is being hidden

1 Like

I had to with my two sons until the were like almost a year. Down to a diaper. And they both had different doctors/Dr offices

My doctor’s always went down to the diaper, and then took the diaper off for a second to weigh them, and then back in the diaper

Normal, gives a more accurate weight and they can make sure everything looks like it should.

1 Like

Yes, so they can get a good look and sound at everything.

1 Like

I find it abnormal that your dr doesn’t have you dress your child.

7 Likes

Yes. They’re checking everything on their body and they do it to weigh them too. How old is your son?