It bothers me that my partner isn't willing to further his education: Advice?

There’s something call “emosional intelligence” and in this case, clearly you don’t have it, so don’t flattered yourself, you are not that smart if you feel that way about the man that you decided to married.

5 Likes

:woman_facepalming:t2: my husband has a diploma, I have not even a ged and if he EVER said some shit like this id be peacing out. I understand outgrowing someone but to literally seem like you’re better than him and say shit like “I feel dumber after talking to him” like what…

If you’re not happy with him, leave him. But having a degree doesn’t mean you’re smarter! And talking about your husband like that shows you have no respect for him! And that is worse than being “dumb”!!

8 Likes

Find something new that y’all can learn together and do and talk about. Don’t divorce.

1 Like

So instead of putting the pressure on him why don’t you expand your own horizons. Join some organizations that interest you. Stop trying to change him.

5 Likes

Lol bet she wasn’t expecting people to comment what is on here :grimacing::grimacing::joy:

2 Likes

Maybe it’s that he’s smarter than you give credit just in different areas of life and the world.

I say it that way because while I am well educated and have life and world experiences my husband has been a work horse his whole life and is smarter than me in other aspects of the world and life than I am.

The same conversations do get old yes but it’s a trade off the way I look at it I can learn things from him that I wouldn’t other wise know and he can learn things from me that he wouldn’t other wise know.

1 Like

My God… let he who is without sin cast the first Stone.
It sounds like you and your husband are on different plains in your intellectual stimulation.that doesn’t mean you can’t be together it just means that you’re not sharing certain topics. my husband is a logger and often wants to talk to me about logging which I find quite boring. I am on the other hand real politically motivated and interested in topics that affect the world around me. On the subject of theses we avoid them as there it’s no common ground We have outside peoplle who stimulate that area of need. Maybe focus on topics that you can enjoy rather than the ones you can’t.you say you love him you’re going to have to overlook things as I’m sure he overlooks your faults as well. But what do I know I’ve only been married for 30 years . marriage is hard work through and this it’s just one example

I really can’t believe how many people said to leave him/get a divorce. This makes me so sad. It’s what’s wrong with our world… instead of taking to each other and trying to figure out how to fix the problem, everyone’s encouraging her to just give up. Relationships aren’t easy and they take work. You cant just throw in the towel every time you feel like your no longer happy, you need to communicate with your SO and work on things together and apart. I hate the fact that everyone’s so quick to call it quits…

6 Likes

I’m sure the OP knows that counseling is an option. She is asking for advice meaning personal opinion not a professional opinion. Some of yall are just plain mean. She worded it like this because it came out simple. If she would’ve taken her time and worded it different would you still feel that she’s on a high horse? Cuz I dont. Listen girl you are the type of person that loves change. He is the type of person that doesn’t like change. Meaning he’s okay with living on the same street for the next 15 yrs at the same job for the rest of his life with the same activities everyday. Same schedule everyday. You like to go out of your comfort zone and like to be outgoing. You go with your gut feeling and like to feel the rush of learning new hobbies, new places or new people. You guys got married for a reason. Maybe its time to go checkout counseling and see what that reason was. You are good for him just as he is good for you. You can bring him out of his comfort zone and experience that rush you long for but you CANNOT rush or pressure him. When he is ready he will do it too. Since he’s not about that change then it may seem like he could be the type of person to ground you and remind you that you have a home and a job and don’t over do it. Its easy to get lost out here and never slow down enough to feel the sun on your skin, hear the birds chirping or see the butterflys come by. Nobody is perfect. You deserve to be with someone who can understand you and respond intellectually as well. I always say be with who you want to be with. If he’s not the one. Focus on yourself and the ONE will find you… I’m glad you see it tho :relaxed: goodluck!

2 Likes

Maybe you find friends to have those fulfilling conversations with and just love your husband for who he has always been. And also… it’s not uncommon for people to grow in different directions. And there is no shame in that. But you have to decide for yourself what YOU need and don’t project your needs onto him. If he’s happy with and loves himself for who he is then let him be and then you love you for who you are and find something else that fulfills you.

4 Likes

You knew what he was when you met him so suck it up and stop bashing him

3 Likes

Sounds like you wanted a pat on the back… Have you ever thought maybe he doesn’t want to because hes give up… Cause he knows you’re so far up your own arse youre starting to crawl out of your own mouth

6 Likes

Your intellect shouldn’t have too much to do with your relationship. You need to find things that both of you can enjoy. Apply your knowledge seeking to some of his interests. Maybe simplify some of your interests for him.
People who graduate with a PHD don’t walk in freshman year knowing all the tips, tricks & info needed to graduate.

A ** formal ** education has NO bearing on a persons intelligence or how smart they are .

11 Likes

Oh wow so what.is your idea of smart look u have your ways your husband has his noone is any better than the other. Maybe your husband is tired of u always trying.to step over him. Lighten up a little

You loved him once,don’t get all arrogant and think you are smarter! Sit down with him and talk to him,there are clearly other issues at hand here!!!

3 Likes

Wow he is your husband it’s not about intellectual shit
You honestly sound like a horrid wife sorry

9 Likes

I think something deeper is going on than just that.

Time to be open and honest with yourself.

All of a sudden it bothers you?

4 Likes

How about you quit trying to change him. You fell in love with this man the way he is. You want to broaden your horizons do it. Let him grow and change in his own time. Your sounding pretty petty in my opinion. You basically came on the world wide web and called your partner in life dumb. What’s that make you.

could be worse lady.

3 Likes

I say shame on you! You stuck this out there so here’s one answer. You seem selfish…and need to work on your relationship. If he’s not cheating on you… or getting doped up and treating you bad… and if he trys to have conversations…and loves you…then you are taking him for granted. There’s plenty of other girls who would love to have a good man! Maybe he treats you too good!..( Maybe this is a conversation starter just to get attention)

3 Likes

Get a divorce. HE deserves better.

8 Likes

Asking this question has me actually questioning your intelligence

3 Likes

Maybe time to rethink the relationship.

There are many types of intelligence. Not having a college education doesn’t indicate lack of intelligence. Not everyone is book smart. Seems like you could use a huge dose of common sense and even more humility. Not really sure why he puts up with you, other than oh, surprise!, he loves you for who you are, not what he wishes you to be. Try it, or be decent enough to set him free to find someone who will love him for himself.

1 Like

Only problem with him getting “ smarter” is he will dump your ass and find someone who respects him!!

3 Likes

Don’t bash? :rage: Sorry I can’t. You sound like a complete @$$. How fing rude. Seriously. U knew who he was & where he was when u met & even more so when u married him. U sound like a pretentious douche. To think someone so “educated” would go online & down talk someone, humiliating him who u supposedly “love”. :roll_eyes: Ever think ur just so full of urself it’s hard for him to have a conversation with u because u are so arrogant & one sided???

7 Likes

I agree w you :100:. You are like the 5 ppl who u hang out w the most.

Did you not see his intelligence before you married him ? How has his intelligence dramatically declined to a level you complain about ? , not everyone is smart or wants to learn , learning is boring for most people and prefer to stay at the level they are at , thank you

3 Likes

Wow. These women are so rude- my bf and I are interested in different things- he likes to learn/read about cars/mechanics/science.

I like history, politics, human behavior.

Sometimes we find middle ground and watch things that we both like to learn about. Tiny homes/home design, National Geographic documentaries on the Earth or Sea, stuff like that.

Maybe just by exploring other things, it could spark an interest? Otherwise I’d say join a book club or some community event that you could find like minded people to converse with and nurture the parts of your relationship you do enjoy?

1 Like

Sounds like you’re full of yourself.
Find a gf you can have those types of discussions with and stop trying to change him before he smartens up and dumps your hyper critical a$$

3 Likes

Ben Copeland Her poor husband… :cry:

4 Likes

You horrible horrible “wife”… Why don’t you divorce and marry a mirror instead if nobody can match you. He deserves better than you and I don’t even know his name. Disgusting.

3 Likes

Sounds like there’s some deeper intellectual conversations happening elsewhere, hence the sudden comparison which is why there’s a level of irritation suddenly.

7 Likes

Why did you marry him ?? Surely you knew each other well enough to know your intelligence compatibility, before your wedding day. If you are not happy, then you need to think about separating. It won’t get easier, don’t end up hating him

3 Likes

You’re actually very stupid

3 Likes

Why the sudden change in feeling this now

How to say if he got a good paycheck coming in do your best put a bag over your head and get that money

I think she’s looking for sympathy and verification to get a divorce. Yes lady divorce him so he can be appreciated for who he is not what you want him to be

4 Likes

If your husband needs to get more education to make YOU happy, then you need to realize that your expectations of him changing to meet you where you’re at are clear signs that the relationship will never be enough for you.
What word did I use most in my response? That should clue you in to something.

You don’t love your husband if you are talking about him in this way. He deserves so much more. You should honestly be ashamed of yourself and need to take a good long hard look at yourself. I feel very sorry for your husband having such a judgemental snob for a wife. Education actually has NOTHING to do with intelligence!!!

8 Likes

As you get older, you will lose your beauty, wrinkles will appear, your hair will turn gray, and that intelligent man you’re comparing your husband to, will claim you’re not good enough for him.

2 Likes

sounds to me you married the man just to complain about him down the road.

He deserves better than you :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Everyone is smart in their own way!! Your husband is carrying knowledge you will know nothing about!! Just as you carry knowledge you husband has nothing about!! Just because you “feel” intellectually superior does not make it so🤷🏼‍♀️js

2 Likes

.I agree with u all are u 5

I won’t bash you , everyone has there reasons and insults don’t help anyone , firstly I would say if he was always like this then you shouldnt have married him however I can understand how it would be hard to have a convo with someone who maybe didn’t do so well in school and can’t understand things to help and unwilling to learn might be hard , the problem is you cannot turn him in Einstein in one day , maybe speak to him and say we could learn something together but if if bothers you so much maybe it’s time to separate

You dont get to tell other people how to live, married or not. If you are unhappy because you think you are “too smart” for your husband then get a divorce because his love clearly isnt enough for you and you dont deserve him.

31 Likes

Your husband deserves better and you need to be single. So shallow and controlling.

27 Likes

Are you serious? My husband is a truck driver. I have a business degree. A degree in the medical field and bow work on my social work degree. I would never tell my husband he’s not smart enough. Who the he’ll does that? Divorce him so someone can appreciate him.

If you cannot connect with him, be fair to both of yourselves. Go find someone you can connect with so he can too.

18 Likes

Someone thinks highly of themselves

21 Likes

Why? If he treats u right and is happy in his life n job helps pays the bills and chips in on other things why does it matter much

13 Likes

I kinda feel bad for your other half😔 I’ve grown up to I won’t amount to anything, I’m dumb as hell, ect ect ect and it hurts. Not saying that you say that but partners can pick up on their others emotions. I really hope he doesn’t feel like he has become a burden to you. In what ways does he not seem educated enough??

4 Likes

Do you really “just love him so much “ you just pretty much called him stupid on a public forum . He doesn’t need to educate himself, you do !

17 Likes

Tell me you are cheating… Without telling me you are cheating

18 Likes

Higher education isn’t for everyone. It also doesn’t equate to intelligence. I have never thought less of my husband for not having a degree. He brings so much more to the table in other ways. Maybe it’s time to let him go and allow him to find a partner who cherishes him for the person he is.

You married him knowing this…

8 Likes

You married him, therefore you excepted him for who he is. You can’t change someone who doesn’t want to change, therefore you need to!

12 Likes

You should love your husband how he is… If you are now unhappy seek counseling. If that doesn’t help then some people seek divorce. However, it seems to be harsh to belittle someone for not viewing what you find important as important. It wasn’t before and now you change. Sounds like the situation is you. If you seek something intellectually stimulating there are things you can do on your own to make you feel better without making your partner feel less than. You married him for who he is.

17 Likes

Furthering ones education has NOTHING to do with “getting smarter”…and CLEARLY you have proven that with your question. PLEASE…let your partner go.

32 Likes

So what brilliant man are you banging behind his back.

14 Likes

I’m wondering does he speak negatively like you are doing right now on social media?? Because if he’s not he’s already smarter than you honey

19 Likes

You can find groups of different people, with similar interests, and knowledge ,as you to be intellectually stimulated ,and satisfied by.

3 Likes

I mean geesh she is literally asking for advice…

5 Likes

Don’t bash you. Like you’re bashing your husband?

Just remember, YOU were one of HIS choices. Guess he will learn that lesson.

11 Likes

If you can’t connect anymore, then it’s time to divorce. Don’t waste any more of either of you guys’ time.

5 Likes

By the way please tell me you didn’t procreate. Children don’t deserve this.

6 Likes

Seriously your the one with the problem who cares if he doesn’t want to learn anything new maybe it’s time for you to explore

5 Likes

Maybe your partner needs a new partner 🤷 he probably thinks you’re dumb on things he knows well that you don’t. Just leave

5 Likes

You didn’t notice this before you married him? Or did you just enjoy having the upper hand in the brain department until you got tired of it?

12 Likes

Clearly you are not as intelligent as you think you are. Just because you might have book smarts, does not mean you are intelligent. I honestly pray your husband is not one of my friends because you sound EXACTLY like a female that one of my dear friends is married to. She has book smarts but is completely lacking in common sense, and emotional intelligence.

If you’re so smart, why ask??? Let him go & let him find someone better than you!

1 Like

Honestly, i believe that this is your issue. Maybe you have outgrown him. Maybe you are just bored. Marriages and full of ups and downs. This is one. Work through it. Thats how you have a successful marriage.

8 Likes

Honestly your husband deserves better then you it should not matter how intelligent someone is hunny you chose him knowing how you both felt sounds like you are a very shallow and controlling person and don’t bash you hunny your doing the exact same thing to your husband

10 Likes

Well if you really do love him then maybe you should try finding fun educational things you can do together therefore you’re having fun together but also learning

3 Likes

Wow, what a bunch of @ssholes in this group. She asked for advice, and most of you are bashing her. Classy. :+1:

People change as they get older. You may have grown in a more intellectual way and he in other ways. I suggest finding a community group that you’re interested in and joining it to fulfill that particular need in your life. And ignore all the dumb f*ckers making rude comments on here because they don’t want to or can’t expend the brain power to help you think of a solution.

16 Likes

Been there. The refusal for better ended our marriage. It started with something simple like education, but then he refused to acknowledge his need for help with mental issues. Progess should always be the goal

10 Likes

For better or worse. You said the vows now stand by them. You can help find new ways to communicate.

9 Likes

Or try reading to him that could be fun as well

1 Like

You can’t make someone do anything. Accept him or divorce him.

5 Likes

Why did you marry him? You’re hiding something and using intelligence as a copout

5 Likes

I’d love to know this womans education level, multiple degrees and PhD? She must have a long list of awards and accomplishments with the high horse she’s on. Sorry your partner isnt as brilliant as you Albert Einstein :flushed::clown_face::joy: He definitely deserves someone who isnt full of herself and thinks less of anyone because they arent “as smart as she is”.

13 Likes

I say deal with it. Or leave… It’s his choice if he doesn’t want to get more of an education… he shouldn’t have to go back to school because you think he’s dumber then you. I think that’s just rude of you to even think like that…

11 Likes

Poor guy - I hope he’s able to move on with someone who loves him for who he is, not someone who wants to change him!

4 Likes

I understand. It’s a thing. I know it sounds mean, but it can be a real problem. Honestly, men make fun of women all the time when they’re not intellectually matched, but when it’s flipped, we’re bitches. We can’t win. Talk to your husband about it. Being smart doesn’t guarantee you a stable relationship when the man is intelligent too… believe me… it’s a whole new level of heartache!

6 Likes

It’s better when they’re dumber than you, trust me.

7 Likes

Mabey the things that interest you don’t interest him :woman_shrugging: Join a book club or get another hobby outside the home where you get stimulated

2 Likes

Stop expecting people to be you!

4 Likes

I completely understand. My man has no interest in listening or learning about my job. Yet I hear all about his. there are no conversations about anything of substance yet he’ll gossip with his friends for hours every day. I have no interest in gossiping about ppl nvm ppl I don’t know. I’ve learned to fill that gap with talking to my friends. it does mean that we don’t share or rather I don’t share my day at work. because he doesn’t understand and doesn’t want to. fine. that’s a connection we don’t have. there are no deep convos about anything. it sometimes leaves me feeling lonely. he’s not stupid, there are things he’s not educated in and sometimes it shows. I don’t point it out. it leaves a hole when you can’t have conversations you wish you could have

That’s crazy. If he works & loves u thats what matters. Why marry him if he isn’t up to your standards

2 Likes

Im guessing that you are no Edward Witten yourself.

It everyone is meant to be on a classroom to further education they will never use unless it applies to their occupation. That’s something you should really expect unless it was a conversation from the beginning. You can find ways to do things thru vacations and learn that way but he’d not making you dumb. Your mindset will ruin your marriage. You think he’s not good enough, you might think about moving on.

1 Like

Some people are book smart and others are smarter at things in life. Doesn’t make one or the other any better. I literally have my masters in psychology and my husband only graduated high school and guess he is smarter than I am. We love each other so we except each other for who we are. If you can’t handle your intellectual differences then maybe you just need to let go . If it bothers you that much something isn’t right in your marriage . Never judge others or think you are better

My LH was intellectually disabled, I knew this before marrying him, but dam was he good with his hands. Mechanical, carpentry, hunting, grilling, camping, fishing, everything that didn’t need a book.

Love him as he is and either learn to live w/it or move on.

1 Like

I know my story. I went to university and became a teacher. My ex husband (yes ex) went to college for a bit. Never used his education. Got a shop job. Made shit money. I always said we could pay to have him go get a trade… his tickets so he could make more. My parents even offered to pay. He always said no, that he liked his job. Before long I doubled his income and outgrew him. Yes, outgrew him. He did not want to better himself. 13 years later I finally couldn’t take it and told him I wanted a divorce. You need someone you connect with. Who is on your level or you will eventually get tired of him. It may sound harsh, but it was my reality.

Not even gonna say it.

2 Likes

Does he want to improve in anything else? Not everybody wants to go into debt and go to college.

4 Likes