It bothers me that my partner isn't willing to further his education: Advice?

Being interesting dosnt mean being smart explore things together to broaden your conversation

1 Like

Your responsible for your goals, your life and choices, your happiness. .some people have friends who bring other elements into their life. You want to further your education, see the world, ect. Go for it :man_shrugging:

But dont treat him like shit or talk about him like hes the issue!

Had a partner who thought they were better then me. They wanted a certain life they painted but did nothing to get it. Instead I busted my butt, worked 24/7 and did everything. .I dont regret it thankfully after the trash took itself out. .I found I deserved more n let my “feelings” replace better judgement. I learned and grew and am now chasing my own goals n dreams finally :blue_heart:

Was never about them. .I tried they continued to drag me down with their B.S. They did nothing to make this fantasy life they cooked up. N wanted to blame someone else!

Only you can do something about what you need. So stop blaming your partner for it!

Let him have time with friends n family n do his thing. .you do yours. .then plan things together that you both enjoy. Love isn’t perfect or a fairy tale. .if you find his flaws too much then cut him loose and let him be with someone who will be grateful to have him.

Find a smart friend. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

She’s right in a way. If you have no interests in common then it’s a hard path to walk. And there’s a wide world out there, to explore and learn new things. But not all those things have to be academic. Learn to appreciate nature, or art, or a hobby together. Concentrate on what HE enjoys as well as what YOU do.
And if you find that you really have nothing in common, and that you bore him as much as he bores you, then maybe you are both better off going your separate ways, and finding someone who is more compatible with you. People change as they grow older, sometimes they grow together, and sometimes they grow apart.

I’m stunned. From what you have written, he has been the same throughout and only now it bothers you?
I think you are looking for excuses to move on from this marriage and have chosen to make him the ‘bad’ person as he isn’t living up to your expectations.
Pack up and leave now, let this man find someone who loves him for the person he is rather than the person you think he should be.

11 Likes

Clearly you don’t know your husband. If you did then you’d know that he’s perfectly fine with the education he has. Intellectual conversations can’t be that important in your mate or you wouldn’t have married him. Either get a few intellectual friends or get a divorce :woman_shrugging:t5:

3 Likes

Aroha for your man, that what you got gfs for.
He most probably feels the same way deep down inside
He’s most probably got amazing strengths in other depts of your guys relationship

I’m sure there are things he can do and knows that you couldn’t or don’t have a clue about. Your husband is not in your life to give you all you need 100%. You can fulfill that side of yourself with friends. If you love him but have grown bored, when was the last time you showed interest in something he likes? Is he possibly depressed or maybe he is just happy and content with himself. Either way, if you’re the one who is bored and wants a change then make that decision without wanting to change someone else. People change because they want to, not because someone else forces them to.

7 Likes

Stop bein a snob he’s good enough to sleep with jst not to speak with , you’d be kicked right out the door snotty cow

11 Likes

I’m stunned. My husband and I are academically on different levels and have different interests. I dont like what he enjoys and he doesnt like what I enjoy however, weve been married 28 years and find something we can do jointly that we both enjoy, for the things we like separately we still do these things just not together. It’s called compromise. This is the problem to many people get married on the romance of the wedding and not the lifetime commitment needed to make it work. You undermine his intelligence however I believe it is you that has low intellect thinking that intelligence it marked by certificates on a wall, the best attributes a person can have are compassion, understanding, empathy, humility and love and you have just shown that you have none of these however, if this was a dating site your husband would have a long line of dates by now! Set him free I’m sure there is a misogynistic professor looking for someone to have educated conversation with.

Teach him. Educate him on what you’re interested in. Never belittle someone. He might just not find interest in it or doesn’t know about it.

2 Likes

You’re a HUGE a-hole. Leave him so he can be with someone who accepts and appreciates him to the fullest JUST THE WAY HE IS or you can get off your high horse, quit being so stuck up, accept that he is who he chooses to be just like you are and LEAVE THE POOR MAN ALONE🙄

5 Likes

But isn’t it the differences in interests and abilities that make a good partnership?? My husband doesn’t get reading for pleasure (I love it), he isn’t great at writing letters, I suspect he has something like undiagnosed dyslexia. However give him a string of numbers and ask him to add, subtract, divide or multiply and he will have the answers faster than I can type them into a calculator. So in our relationship anything maths based he deals with. Anything written I deal with. If he needs a letter written or an email sent then he writes what he wants to say and to quote him I put it into English. We each do what we’re best at in all areas so we complement each other. He loves serious walking. I don’t. I’ll go walking with him here but he’s also gone abroad with a pal to do some serious walking. Stuff I enjoy but he doesn’t I go do with friends. There’s one thing guaranteed whatever you’re good at and he isn’t there will be some things he’s ace at and you wouldn’t know where to start. Being ‘intellectual’ isn’t everything some folk just excel in other, more practical ways. We all have our own strengths. Try valuing his!

3 Likes

Did he have the same attributes when you met him…or is it something new? If he’s always been like that Tiger’s don’t change their stripes but if it’s new I would question why he’s so preoccupied and/or look at why it is

1 Like

Why did you marry him in the first place then?! If he’s so below your level of intelligence?! Have you ever stopped to think that maybe you’re intimidating him?!

8 Likes

Leave him alone & stop being such a douchebag!!
I’m in the same position but you know what? I wouldn’t change it. Intellectually I may know more BUT he can fix the car, build things etc. He goes to work and earns money & he makes me laugh…
Get your head out of your arse & just appreciate him.
You’re supposed to COMPLETE each other not COMPETE.

28 Likes

I bet your EQ wouldn’t match either. You sound awful.

3 Likes

You knew who he was when you married him!!! “It didn’t bother me at first” that’s not his problem! You decided he looked good enough to get past it. After a few years he’s not as hot so now you can’t take his lack of intellectual conversation??? YOU NEED TO HUMBLE YOURSELF MISSY!!! Imagine your spouse goes to tell the internet you’re an idiot.:confounded: you’re probably already cheating anyway.

10 Likes

Leave him so he can find someone that doesn’t have her head up her ass

9 Likes

You know something this would never enter my head to even think my husband wasn’t as intelligent as me never not ever! I married my husband because he is kind, gentle,lovely to me, a gentleman who almost always puts me before him! Is he as intelligent as me, who knows and who cares, am I as intelligent as him who knows and who cares. I didn’t marry somebody’s brain I married my husbands beautiful soul! I am so very sad for your husband, if you feel the need for more stimulating conversation I believe BILL GATES is single!

2 Likes

Normally in a case like this. The Man might have put you through College an now you think his not intelligent enough :confounded:
His money has you hooked.
So I hope the next man in your life is more intelligent than you. Then I would love to see how he thinks your TOO DUMB FOR HIM :+1:t5:

6 Likes

Damn girl. Jeez I think your the one who lacks intelligence. Here’s the real kicker people who are actually smart never use their intelligence to belittle another. Why don’t you show him what you said. I agree with all these girls. Your the real dumb ass here.

6 Likes

Wow arnt we miss high and mighty ??? Have u actually heard yourself?? Why did u marry someone who u personally think isn’t good enough for u??? Maybe he should ditch you for someone who actually gives a flute about him, !! And doesn’t try to change him!!

4 Likes

Wow! So get an educated man that’s an asshole! Appreciate your man ffs coz I’m sure there are women out there that would happily take your place.

6 Likes

Such beautiful words and he is all that and you are the most amazing beautiful lady such a lovely couple xx

1 Like

How would you feel if you husband told the world something like that? Is it just you who’s humiliating him to the world? Who are you to judge his intelligence? Can he do things which you have no idea of doing can he fix the car ? Could you ? Does he work and help in the house? Does he abuse you ? If your unhappy tell him not the internet and stop humiliating him

3 Likes

I have the same issue. You either have to let go or be dragged.

3 Likes

My ex-husband and I used to have the same problem.

You say you love your husband, but then make him sound like an idiot.:roll_eyes:
If you can’t accept your husband for who he is, how he is and accept the fact he doesn’t want to “further his education” to meet your standards of what you want him to be… you dont understand love and unconditional love. You should do him a favor and go find the person that lives up to what you want.

62 Likes

I’m sorry but this kinda sounds racist. It’s like u don’t prefer people who are beneath u. For example class, education obviously might as well put looks in there as well. It’s very wrong and hurtful to think of your spouse like that. It shouldn’t matter if he’s smart rich poor etc. If u love him great if u don’t do him a favor and get a divorce. How would u feel if it was the other way around if he thought this about u??

10 Likes

Your husband deserves someone better than you.

18 Likes

You need to leave him so you can be with someone whom you think more worthy of you and let him find the kind of woman that can love him for just the way he is. You both deserve the love you desire.

13 Likes

Don’t bash you, yet you bash your husband on social media who you’re supposed to love flaws and all…if that’s your only problem then please do your husband a favour and divorce him…you don’t deserve him

8 Likes

Just because someone doesn’t want to further their education doesn’t mean they’re stupid. You say you live your husband, but this post says otherwise. If you lived him you wouldn’t be bothered but what he decides to do or not to do. Maybe you need to get yourself checked out and he deserved better than you. Someone who will actually cares about him.

9 Likes

Being in a relationship is about growth together or growing apart. It’s not up to him, but the two of you together or you on your own. Tell him you are unhappy, and something has to change and you must make a decision about your future.

1 Like

Dang I would be heartbroken if my husband talked about me like this. Just because someone doesn’t decide they want to further their education does not make them any less of a person. My husband didn’t go to college but instead went into trades and he is one of the smartest people I know. I don’t understand how you could talk down on him for not doing something he doesn’t want to do… How would it make you feel if he was trying to force you to do something you didn’t want to and used the words “because he feels like you’re making him dumber”… :disappointed_relieved:

Whoa Nelly! Show him this post so he can go find better. You sound like a see you next Tuesday! FYI- having a better education clearly doesn’t make you a better person, you’re living proof of that. How can you say you love him “so much” and basically insinuate that he’s a moron? That’s not love. Step down off your pedestal because you’re no better than anyone else on this earth. In fact I’d be willing to say he’s a better person than you and I don’t even know the man.

15 Likes

I think maybe what you’re trying to say is that you’ve matured more than he has and he isn’t growing up. By watered down conversations, I think you mean you’re looking for more sophistication and maturity and he isn’t filling that void.

13 Likes

You should’ve thought about that along time ago.

2 Likes

Reads as though you’re mentally challenged. Heh heh.

I’m sorry but that isn’t love you don’t love a person for their intelligence but for who they are their way of caring of showing you that your their everything my husband isn’t a school person he told me when we graduated he has never had plans to go to college bc it’s just not his thing he’s actually really good at math but doesn’t like school me on the other hand I like school but I’m not that good at it I have to study and well getting upset bc he doesn’t want to go to school is silly unless of course he isn’t providing and working then I understand why you would be upset but if he works then why be upset

I think you dont love him and just put up with him .

1 Like

A person intelligence is not measured by the amount of education they have. Who calls their husband dumb?

7 Likes

Didn’t this page used to be funny?

Wow why would you belittle someone you care about :thinking: say som

3 Likes

I’ll bite. For someone with such a “High Education that’s been Furthered” the words you choose to type this in were poor. These words make you sound uneducated, petty, selfish and just a plain watered down person.

I understand maturing differently from each other and choosing not to mature at all. The point is maturity and education are not the same thing. As many have said maybe you should look into counseling and or therapy.

7 Likes

Sweetie, you come across as being extremely condescending. Just love him for who HE is!

3 Likes

You sound shallow to me…

2 Likes

Book learning education isn’t the only thing to base someones intelligence on people can be smart in other ways

4 Likes

I want to sympathize because people outgrow each other everyday, it’s a part of life. But something like this you should have had an understanding of going into marriage. You should further address this as it seems you’re unhappy. Whether he’s set on being unwilling or if he decides to meet you halfway, either way it will be okay. I hope you find your way and are able to be honest.

1 Like

Find a group or forum in your interests. You love him for a reason. Have you tried to include him in your interests or have you tried to pursue his?? Works both ways.

1 Like

What’s his emotional intelligence level? (EQ)

If he scores high, you need to change your conversation topics.

Still won’t change you from being a pompous asshole so either way he’s screwed :unamused:

6 Likes

There’s different levels of intelligence.

1. Book smart
  2. Street smart
  3. Common sense
    Just curious which one you’re lacking?! :thinking: You can have a Doctoral degree and still lack basic common sense! I know ppl that have masters degrees… and have no idea about life in general! (Outside the education they’ve “mastered”)
    You sound really shallow! You should leave him…HE DESERVES BETTER! Smfh…
7 Likes

Man this world is so centered on just settling that its disgusting. People change, feelings change and some people want more out of life. You have to ask yourself can I settle for someone that will not grow with me? If the answer is no, you have to decide if that means divorce.

2 Likes

It’s ok just flipping burgers…let it go

Maybe you should ask yourself what it is that you love about your husband and why you’re still with him. A lot of times infatuation will make us turn a blind eye to things, or maybe you thought he would change. I don’t believe you mentioned how long you have been together, but it’s possible that you have simply outgrown him🤔. Happens a lot actually! At the end of the day he is who he is. Accept it or move on

6 Likes

What we lack in they make up for it. Maybe find a hobby or Join Mensa if you think you’re smart.

1 Like

If you have a kind man, a man that truly loves you and takes care of you and makes you happy then his education should not even come into question. You are so lucky to have a padtner like that. If only I had someone like that in my life. You are blessed, respect that or leave him because he deserves better

I tried to help my last partner in accomplishing more. I pushed n pushed and he always said he’d do it but never did. So i had leave the situation to better myself. He was bringing me down with him.

My ex was very intelligent yet dumber than shit. Common sense n morals r much better

Don’t like it don’t date him. You sound shallow and perhaps you can go back to school to find your self a smart university husband since apparently this one dumb. Wow what a question.

That was 100% terrible wording and if that is truly how you feel then do you both a favor and seperate. Give him at least the respect of finding someone that truly loves him for him. That statement, NOT educated and VERY poorly worded towards someone you “love”…

7 Likes

I absolutely feel ya!!

1 Like

Wow. My husband was way smarter than me, one thing he never did was make me feel stupid or less than.

Join in a new hobby together, something creative that doesn’t require critical thinking, something you can both think about in a fun, casual way. You feel like he’s too dumb to have an elevated conversation with, he may feel you’re too good for him because your on some educational pedestal.
I’ve known people who are actual teachers and assistant principals who have absolutely no knowledge in empathy, two way conversations, respect for others who are below them in professional status, and I’ve known people who flip burgers, stock groceries and they’re so philosophical, empathetic, creative and respectful.
It all depends on how you treat each other and how you communicate

2 Likes

Maybe you just need different things to talk about. Relationships are hard work. Go on vacations. Try new things together. Have adventure. Share experiences

2 Likes

Been there. Didn’t work out

1 Like

sounds like u are the dumb one

6 Likes

Um 1st off u can’t just try to change people. U fell in love w him n not only that u married him and now u wanna change him…

3 Likes

My husband doesn’t hold an equivalent degree to me but he is by far the smartest person I know. You should really think about why you married this man rather than shame him or put him down because you don’t believe me intellectually meets you where you’re at. It sounds frankly like a you problem and less of a him problem. You knew who you married and it’s his choice to either go back to school or become more educated or not. Changing him or forcing him to change will result in worse issues than you already feel that you are experiencing. Perhaps appreciating him for who he is and accepting him where he’s at would be a good idea for you.

You seem about as deep as a puddle. I feel bad for you husband.

9 Likes

It’s not a persons education level, it’s their lack of wanting to be a life longer learner.
Reading, and keeping informed of the world is not dictated by the degree(s) attained.

5 Likes

School is not for everyone. You cannot force someone. Maybe it’s you using that as the excuse that you no longer would like to be with him. I am actually getting my degree in Psychology and well I constantly talk to mine about several things and he doesn’t always understand me but that doesn’t mean we don’t talk about other stuff that’s not considered to be “intellectual”.

It drives me nuts that people don’t try to learn and improve themselves. I never get out of bed trying to be wrong. I feel for ya.

3 Likes

Really love how you assume an advanced degree means intellect. You don’t need college to study and plenty of people who go college barely pass and forget all they know. I say this with a masters degree.

3 Likes

Why would you want him spending thousands in student loans? College education doesn’t necessarily mean you will have a better income or become smarter lol :rofl: . … You called your husband dumb because he doesn’t want to go back to school, I’m 31, I’m a PSW and I have a career if my husband ever told me I had to go back to school to upgrade to nursing I would leave him, I don’t want anymore student loans I am happy and content with what I have now You sound extremely bitter and shallow! I think you’re the one who needs to a better education on how to treat people. Hopefully your husband comes to his senses and leaves you!

1 Like

You can’t “get smarter”. You can only acquire knowledge, not intelligence You are the living proof of that. I doubt any of your “conversations” go beyond repeating parrot like what you’ve been told.

6 Likes

So you no longer love him for who he is & need him to change to be who you NOW want him to be… Why would anyone bash that, sounds totally like a great woman, any guy would be lucky to have… NOT

1 Like

You married him in the first place! What makes you think you are more superior now? Just because he is happy at the level he is at doesn’t mean you need to push him into something he doesn’t want to do!
I hope you never had kids because if that’s what your like with your husband, god help your kids when they don’t meet your high expectations!

4 Likes

You sound arrogant, college gives a degree not intelligence. You have forgotten that.

7 Likes

You married him, and now you want to bash him because he doesn’t meet your standards? Sounds like your in the wrong!!! If he didn’t meet your intelligence why did you get with him??

3 Likes

Some people buy intelligence but have no street smarts. If you have to buy it… is it really yours compared to someone smart enough to learn on their own?

2 Likes

I am finishing my PhD and my partner is a drywaller. I love him for who he is - his kindness, his strength, his putting up with me and my research without question. If I need to discuss my research or other intellectual pursuits, I have people for that (and he does take the time to listen to me…even if he doesn’t get half of it. Hey, I can’t install drywall). This question is… I don’t even know… :roll_eyes: (also, “getting smarter”? Who taught you how to write?)

1 Like

It’s hard, but you have to do what’s right, to make you happy

sounds like you think you are better than him or smarter :thinking:… nothing like good Ole degrading and belittling to motivate a man!! Move on!! Go find a man just like you so you can get exactly what you deserve.

3 Likes

You don’t choose love. Loves chooses you. It may be as simple as hes terrified of change. I’m in the same boat. But my husband acknowledges that I am smarter and wants better for me. He wants me to further my education. It may be as simple as sit him down and talk to him about his fears. Please don’t judge him for his insecurities. Talk to him.

Well, Dr.Jill, the evidence was there long before you were a babysitter for him, so you should have known! Your bad; no biscuit!

4 Likes

Maybe you should support your partners decision
You posting here is not showing that
Just from a fellas view

1 Like

You made a mistake, love him for who he is now.

1 Like

Wow :woman_facepalming:you say don’t bash you but I think what you have written is deeply insulting to your partner and you should be ashamed :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

You married him he must have something special about him … !!! Have you ever thought maybe he’s finding you real tiresome!

2 Likes

Intelligence comes in many different forms. Your husband may be very emotionally intelligent but not academic. You may be academic but not very emotionally intelligent. Your husband might be thinking the same thing about your lack of emotional intelligence. Might be a good time to talk about both your needs and wants and see if there is a way through it. If not, it’s kinder to both of you to find a partner more suited to each other

5 Likes

I have a special male friend who barely graduated high school, while I have six years of college.
Initially I thought he wasn’t the brightest twig on the tree, but before long I realized he was a lot smarter than he let on.

3 Likes

You want to hope he doesn’t get smart and leave you.

1 Like

You can’t force him. An education doesn’t guarantee he’ll be intellectual. Some people with little education can still entertain my mind with astrophysics and other interesting conversations. Maybe you can find friends or a social group to fill the need? I found that the smartest, most interesting people wouldn’t make the best husbands. Hey I hear Bill Gates is single again lol.

May be he’s getting fed up with a know it all smart arse wife who looks down on him …

7 Likes

There is so much more to someone than perceived intelligence! Some of the smartest people i know have street smarts, common sense and personality! Get off your ego and find things to talk about that you both like, hobbies, holidays, etc.

3 Likes

I understand why some people are bashing you seeing as how this seems harsh. But if he is not fulfilling ur needs by doing what u want/need and ur not fulfilling his by accepting him as he is then maybe you two should part ways and find someone u are better compatible with. Life is too short.

2 Likes

Sounds like u have been conversing with ur college buddies and now u expect the same conversations from hubby. Does he still love the “new, improved” you? College isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Are u honestly wanting new conversations with him, or just wanting him to spout what ur college buddies spout?

4 Likes

Well opposites attract for a reason, sounds like you need to find a hobby