Medicaid in Florida

in the state of Florida, is it true that Medicaid requires that you put your baby’s father on child support? i know 100% who the dad is, but because of the situation (it’s a VERY long story) I’m not sure if I want to risk him fighting for custody by putting him on child support. but if Medicaid requires it and I have no choice, then I’ll just have to do what they tell me to.

(please only serious answers and please don’t be condescending thank you)

15 Likes

Yes, you will have to put him down. I did.

ummm my sister in law had to we are in the state of fl…

Its like that in ga but if u decide not to only you will lose medicade

Yes its required but from my experience they never followed through with it and my son is 5 and t hey never made a case

Yes you have to put his name down and they will most likely go after him for child support since your needing government assistance

2 Likes

Depends on the state. WI don’t think have to. Georgia also don’t think have to.

In Ohio I didn’t have to put him down but it’s different everywhere just call them and explain your problem and see what they say

Minnesota allows a waiver in cases of domestic violence. That’s the only out I am aware of.

2 Likes

You can always say you don’t know the father. I have HEARD this is hearsay not personal experience that social services can make you list sexual partners and contact info and they will attempt to determine paternity.

4 Likes

Yeah if you apply for state help they require you to do that.

2 Likes

I never told them shit. They haven’t messed with me in 3 years. They just approve my medicaid again and even approved it for my new son with a different father that I didnt even put on my dhs account lol. No child support papers yet? Maybe i just have a lazy ass worker

1 Like

For any type of assistance you need to unless you or your childs safety is at risk by doing so then you talk to a dv advocate and they sign off that you don’t need to.

1 Like

No you do not. They only need to hear it was a 1 night stand.

2 Likes

I live in fl , and if you want anything for your self like medicaid,foodstamps or cash you have to put him on CS… if its only for ur child and not you, you dont need to put him on CS But if u want cash for ur kid you have to do cs.

I know in WV you dont have too. But that doesnt answer your question. I’d call your local DHHR office and ask them to be sure. Each state is different

Some people say they just don’t know who the dad is if he ain’t on the birth certificate

What if you had a one night stand? Just wondering if that could apply

In a lot of states unfortunately

He can fight it and make you prove dna. Sounds like where this is going

1 Like

I know in the state of Oregon, technically they will want the fathers info to go after reimbursement for medical and/or for cash assistance. However, in Oregon at least, there is a little box in the paperwork that states you are fearful of how he will react if the state pursues child support. And if that box is checked then the state, again I’m speaking for Oregon, won’t even try to contact him to establish paternity, let alone to collect support of any kind.

if it’s for snap benefits they will go after the father if it’s just medical insurance they don’t go after the father for child support. Well not in VA or NY

1 Like

Id say i dont knpw who it is… just saying

Yes, if you’re not together they’ll open a case for support. It’s usually just for the food stamp and cash assistance part not to sure about just Medicaid, I’m not on assistance anymore though so it might have changed buts that’s how it was for me when I was.

I lied and said I don’t know who dad is and so that cant make you put a name down. Write fucking Micky mouse. I didnt write a name for the exact reason on not wanting to do a custody battle.

I have state help. MedicId hud foodstamps. No daddy on either kid … just say hook up. :wink:

Idk bout Florida but ky requires the same but my child’s father pays half my rent and buys what the kids need to keep it out of the court system and they allowed that as long as he wrote out a statement saying so

Just say you dont know who it is a couple one night stands lol

No, I didn’t include my husband but only because he isn’t from the us

Im in Florida and it’s automatically done. When you have medicaid or any help the child support office will put the other parent for child support. It doesn’t mean he will have to pay, it depends on your income and his income.
You will have to comply with child support if you don’t they take all the assistance away.

If the dad isn’t on the birth certificate then say you don’t know who the dad is.

I believe its only if you get CASH ASSISTANCE, not medicaid, foodstamps, childcare, or or housing.

2 Likes

Rape/incest/domestic violence/or lie and say you had a one night stand and have no idea who dad is. Sometimes, you have to lie to protect your babies. My oldest, his father isn’t even on his birth certificate nor on child support and I still receive the needed assistance because I have a PPO on him. You’re not required to put anybody on the birth certificate if you’re not married. Which means you can deny knowing who dad is

3 Likes

In Colorado you were supposed to. However because I have an order of protection against him, they made an exception. Try and talk to them about why you don’t want to go after him for child support. I was very surprised at how it turned out.

In Illinois my sister and I both had to name the father. My sisters took the court 17 months to do it… ridiculous

I don’t believe so. I had Medicaid when we lived in Florida. I didn’t have to put their dad on child support to do so. But things may have changed since 2013

I am in NC and that’s true here.

If he is on the birth certificate you can tell them it would be a danger to your childs well being if they contact his father (they can not legally put you and your child at risk). If he is not on the birth certificate you can say you dont know who the father is.

1 Like

I don’t have either father for child support or on birth certificates. I explained the situations to the child support office and they closed the cases. If he’s a danger to you and your child they will close the child support case. You just have to go in with proof as to why it would be a bad idea

When i got medicaid in Wisconsin they required me to pursue child support for my abusive ex, even tho i told them it was dangerous for me to do so. I just kept dodging it and they eventually stopped asking.

U file a piece of paper the paper says he’s been out of the house for more than 30 days. They don’t go after him unless you do. :heart:

Hi there! I do not know the answer to this question but it I think the federal government declared an understanding that there may be reasons to NOT list a parent. I do not know how each state deals with your particular situation.
I hope someone here has more detailed and specific knowledge to help you. Here is one article I read:

Yess very true dealing with it now :person_facepalming:

Nope, my kids where on Medicaid. And no I dont get child support from there father.

Medicaid knows who my daughters dad is and they don’t even require him to keep her insurance. I do that. And I get no child support. I haven’t filed and they haven’t made me. This is in KY though. They did ask on my application who he was and would I give them permission to go after him for child support, I said yes, have his info, that was 5 years ago. They’ve never asked him to pay as far as I know. Not that he would tell me if they did.

You can alternatively chose to speak to the father outside of system and if he agrees to pay ANY AMOUNT to you without being court ordered you can both sign a paper stating your financial agreement and have it notarized. Show that to the medicaid office and tell them he is alread paying and you dont need to have this taken to court. If you both sign and he pays even like 25 or 50 bucks theyll let you do that and not take him to court or garnish any wages.

I live in Texas and its the same here and he’s my fiance/husband (common law marriage) we’ve been together 7 years and have two girls that are biologically his and mine and I have a step son. My children have Medicaid but I don’t I’m still on my parents medicaid till I’m 26 and beings I only have till next February I’ve tried getting Medicaid for myself and every other lady Ive asked in the office has told me I would have to file child support because I don’t carry his last name yet.

You have to have insurance so yes you’ll have to do it… if it’s like ny which also makes you file for support than the paperwork he gets will say right in it that it’s your county in behalf of you filing… which would show him that it’s not you it’s just inevitable.

We just recently went thru this bc we both got a letter in the mail. We live together in Fl but are not married & have a 6 month old 2gether. All I did was call dept of children & families n took him off my case for assistance. All I get is Medicaid n food assistance. Havnt heard anything since.

We just recently went thru this bc we both got a letter in the mail. We live together in Fl but are not married & have a 6 month old 2gether. All I did was call dept of children & families n took him off my case for assistance. All I get is Medicaid n food assistance. Havnt heard anything since.

1, talk to Medicaid (or an attorney that is familiar with those laws) to know the true facts of what is required.
2, your child has the right to be financially supported by BOTH bio parents. If you have a significant other who helps out, then your child gets a bonus. Do not financially neglect your child because you don’t want a custody battle. If you are a good mom, then no judge in any state is just going to hand him custody, even if he asks for it. Visitation, ya. Custody, nope.
You’ve got to look out for the best interest of your child.

If you as the mother receive food stamps or medicaid yes you are required to cooperate with child support. If the medicaid is just for the child then no… You do not. I have worked with Florida medicaid for years.

If he isn’t on the birth certificate, theres eally no way they can prove you know who he is, unless you’ve told them.
I was raped and my daughters bio dad is a registered sex offender. I denied knowing who it was so they have no way of finding out. They continued to send me stuff about it but I dodged. And eventually got a letter saying they were no longer pursuing it.

2 Likes

For food stamps they do, not for Medicaid. They also won’t cover you if you don’t file the child support. I went through it a few times. I wasn’t going to do that because he helps financially, and I didn’t want the foodstamps or medical for myself, just the insurance to get my kids to the pediatrician while I was a full time student and working.

I don’t know about Florida, but in utah I was only required to have a child support case when I was in the family employment program, aka welfare. The only other time I was required anything with him is for medical for myself and it didn’t have to be child support, just medical support enforcement. Either one is optional if you have good cause, like if you feel like you would be endangered by it or if he’s already paying you child support without going through ors. In that case you’ll just need a written statement signed and dated by him saying he gives you X amount each month. But like I said, that’s also in utah

No not with Medicaid but if you do file for cash assistance or for food stamps yes they will ask you to put the father on child support and also help you

1 Like

Yes its true. They do it in texas too

Just say you don’t know who the father is

I had my kids out of fl initially my 2 boys receive CS from their dad but we were married also when I filed . My daughter on the other hand I lied and told them I don’t know who dad is he’s a dangerous man. He’s not on the bc

Does the father know he has a son? If not he does have a right to know. I hope it all works out

Foodstamps yes… Money benefits yes… Medicaid No… They will press you for it, but the law is specific. The DOR child support enforcement folks have been mislead by several women in charge who seem to think so. They are NOT the brightest bulbs and have been told over and over the law.

Medicaid is the Only service that child support isnt a requirement.

Don’t let them press you. Write your Representative for written clarification. They will get it for you. Just find your representative and email them. The staff will get back with you in a week or less. It is free and what these politicians are suppose to do. They will do it too. I have used them to get my case acted on.

DOR child support enforcement in Tallahassee is a sad sad sad team.

Yes it’s TRUE. But just because he has to pay doesn’t mean he gets any rights to the child. If he wants any type of visits he has to go back to court as that is a whole other thing.

Idk about Florida but in Alabama they only require it if you sign your child up for a TANF check (cash benefits). Not Medicaid or food stamps. But every state is different.

Here only for cash. Food and Medicaid you dont

I believe it’s mandatory only for food not medical !!!

So you want the state to help raise your kid but the father not be held financially responsible??

3 Likes

I had to send a letter stating I was not seeking CS and the cases was closed kids still have their insurance

Just go down to the main office in ur county

Do yall live in fl and get these benefits bc i lived in fl and got fs and medicaid and you only need to file for support if u get cash assistance.

1 Like

It is true. I’m in Florida and they cut off my Medicaid and foodstamps for failure to comply, I do not have cash assistance. I ended up having to go to the office and file so I could have surgery and see my primary care physician. Smh

1 Like

Not if nobody signs certificate

It’s not just Florida. Most all states now require you to have the other parent on support or they will go after the other parent for that support to help cover the cost of the state assistance.

1 Like

Not to be difficult, but going thru the legal father battle has more benefits to your child than a welfare check. For instance, if dad engages in risky behaviors like racking up DUIs or messing around married women, he’s likely to die young. If paternity is established, child will be able to draw whatever Social Security is on his father’s claim.

Custody and child support are 2 different things he can absolutely get custody and visitation without paying child support as his right as a father especially if it looks like you cant or wont get medical for your baby…do what you gotta do for your baby… just bc they have to pay child support also doesnt mean it’s in exchange for visits it’s simply to supplement the support of that child as is their responsibility

In Michigan, they allowed me to file a waiver of good cause to not go after CS and still get benefits. However, it was due to an abusive relationship. But there is a loophole up there to be used depending on the situation

No not Medicaid. I believe it’s only tanf that makes him pay child support. I would look into your state guidelines.

Putting them on child support has absolutely nothing to do with custody. They won’t even entertain that topic in child support court. They don’t care if he sees them or not their only job is to make sure he pays for his children. He would have to go file himself and in all reality very few men will actually take that step. But when I got put on benefits they told me I can’t have it both ways meaning you can’t ask for benefits of any kind and turn down child support. I’m not in Florida but I don’t think it varies by state. You can say you don’t know who the dad is but idk from personal experience, unless the dad is dangerous to the child you shouldn’t keep them from each other. I know it sucks but you had a child with him and part of being a parent is doing a lot of things you don’t want to do. I would try as hard as you can to make it work and I know all the other women always disagree but preventing them from having a relationship hurts your child in the end. I’ve been there and if I had it to do over again I would have never done it that way. It does more damage to the kid than anyone else. Good luck

2 Likes

I think daddy’s baby needs to pay…not taxpayers…

I live in Fl and me and daddy are not together…I work full time but don’t make much…my son get Medicaid and we get a little in food stamps, so far no one has gone after daddy…:woman_shrugging:t3:

All states require it now days. If you have a restraining order something like that you can show that

1 Like

Yes that is true if you don’t live together. Regardless of if he supports in any way

Work and get coverage from your employer if that’s an option.

I live in Florida. For Medicaid no … unless you are trying to get it as well. If you apply for food stamps or other services it is required!

No you-ask welfare worker if it’s a dangerous situation abusive r drugs involved they keep that information confidential where you live n try keep you n baby away from harmful things ? It’s that way in most states

If the state is going to help with medicaid, wic, food stamps, housing, etc. Then it is your respocibility to give them the father information. The baby is you and the father responcilbility to provide for not the state. Yes you may need the asst but it is not your place to ask for asst but not comply with the information. The state IS NOT YOUR BABY DADDY.

My kids have state insurance and no , now when I went for food stamps they tried to go after dad even though we live together and are together ! Wic don’t make you! Child support won’t entertain rights, and if he went on the birth certificate doesn’t mean he has rights! My children’s father is not on their birth certificate I don’t give his information because you don’t have too unless you want to file for child support

Yes if you are not married and you receive any type of assistance

100% If you get Medicaid for you and the child. You can set the terms/amount. But if the Medicaid is only for the child, No.

In Ohio Medicaid and TANF does. Call your local office and ask a worker there.

Idk how it is there but here if you say that he is already under a voluntary agreement and he’s paying, you can get past that. I had a written agreement between my daughters father and myself that he gave me a specified amount every week.

From experience, the state will ask to go after the father to help foot payments. Only time they will not go through and question you to find the father is if you are scared of any harm he may do or are in process/already have a restraining order.

Tell them you have no idea who the father is

1 Like

Most times if it’s just for the kid or while you’re pregnant support isn’t required but after the child is born if you want it for yourself then you have to file

In my state yes. Unless you can prove it’s dangerous for the father to be involved (there’s a form you have to fill out) you don’t have to get cs but the father is responsible for half of the birth if your on medicaid and usually if he can afford insurance they will have him carry insurance for the child as well.

Is he on the birth certificate? If not then you don’t know the guy’s name it was a drunken one night stand! The safety of you and your child is too important to risk it…thry say thst your address and info will be confidential but they lie!!!

1 Like

Yes. I didn’t put him on I lost my insurance but the kids still have theirs.

It’s not that way in MS or AL

No it does not require it. It asks you but you are not required to.
I have 2 sons. For my oldest, we were given TANF, stamps and medicaid. after paternity was established, child support went after him but same time i went to court and have declared him as he abandoned us, so his rights were striped away however he was still required to pay, TANF stopped because of child support and we both had medicaid.
My youngest, i did not bother with child support. My son still got medicaid, stamps and TANF in replace of child support. And no his father was not put on the birth certificate.

In Maryland , only for POC and TCA do you have to file for child support. Medicaid and food stamps you do not. Every state and every office will be different. I really think its up to your social worker. Ive had different workers ask for different things.

Pa does. I cant get any help unless my older daughters dad pays child support. And I didnt want him around because hes a pill popper. The only type of help I’ve been able to get was Medicare and I’ve had that since I was 15. And i just had to call the insurance company to add them then welfare was called.

I’d just say I had a random one night fling and I don’t remember his name.

1 Like