My 10-Month-Old Has Suddenly Become Really Mean: Advice?

The hair pulling is normal not sure about the other stuff as my children didn’t do that.

1 Like

I think it’s just a phase and he will will figure out how to control himself and express his feelings better soon. When my daughter was at daycare we kind of went through that. But a lot of the kids were handsy with each other. She is now three and back to be sweet as could be. I think they are just learning how to interact at that age.

When my two girls bit me I bit them back they never did it again, they pulled my hair I pulled theirs and they never did it again same for pinching

2 Likes

When he grabs a glob of hair pry open his fingers and remove the hair wear a pony tail if you have to put him down when he hits or face him out ward redirect learn to see when he does it and turn his attention to some thing else he is probably wanting put down to play might be holding him too much take his hands and play Pat a cake give him something to play with distract sing him a song anything but allowing it

1 Like

Please don’t bite him back or do anything back like people are suggesting that is possibly the worst action to take :pensive: it’s a stage he’s not being mean he’s just learning, if he’s biting then say no and give him a teething toy, if he’s pulling your hair tie it back, if he’s really struggling then give him some calpol for teething. Scratching and pinching just tell him no and move away, it’s not a case that he’s learnt it anywhere he’s just learning what movements he can do as he’s getting older, distract him with a toy. My youngest was exactly like this he’s 15m now and he’ll do things on occasion still but he’s still so small and understanding what’s right and wrong

2 Likes

Kids this age also like your reaction. My youngest son is almost 1 and does the same thing. I either put him down or move away from him and tell him no. Just make sure you are consistent and he will learn. I do not recommend any physical punishment as they do not understand that type of consequence.

2 Likes

My son is 10 months also he does the same thing. Personaly I dont think it is mean at this age they are just seeing the reaction and feeling the different texturs. I just move my hair away from his reach and say ouch

I have done what my kids do to me bank so they know what I feel… my boys would punch every once in awhile but baby girl like to bite and pull my hair…

Maybe he’s in pain from teething and he’s overwhelmed. Are you able to take him to the pediatrician? Maybe they’re can help

1 Like

If a behavior of his is mean/not nice, no one should be laughing when he does it… The baby should be removed from the situation. and in a playpen, and told NO firmly, so he understands it is not correct.

1 Like

My son never went through a biting stage, but I ran into this with my daughter. I subconsciously yelled the first time she bit me and then it was game on.:woman_facepalming: She’s breastfed so biting became a game to get that loud “ouch” reaction. It took about 3 times of “No mam we do not bite”, removing her from the boob, setting her down, and walking away while saying, “we need a time out” before she realised biting means no mommy time. She bit her brother another time and he had seen me do it, so he said “sister thats not nice I need a time out” and walked away from her. She wasn’t happy but she hasn’t bit him again either. :woman_shrugging: every kiddo is different, you will find something that works. Dont get discouraged momma.

My son bit me one time. I bit him back he never did it again.

1 Like

So I was going to say exactly what Barbie Johnson-Conigliaro said above. I just want to add one thing. Sometimes this kind of behavior can be caused by a mental illness of some sort. You might want to take him in and get that ruled out. Autism can cause children to act this way, along with a lot of other things. Especially if doing it back to them gets absolutely no response and they still do it. Good luck mama :revolving_hearts:

Wooowwww!!! I literally can’t believe what I’m reading. So many saying do it back, pop them in the mouth, swat their thigh. This baby is 10 months old FFS!!! A 10 month old baby doesn’t have the capacity to be ‘mean’. That’s just the wrong description. I’ve raised 4 kids, now aged 28, 20, 17 and 13. I have NEVER put my hands on them. To suggest any of that for a 10 month old is beyond disgusting and extremely ill-informed. Just teach them respect, and, yes, it is easily done without getting physical. You’re actually showing them that it is OK - not the other way around. If you want your child to know that this stuff is wrong, then lead by example. 10 months!!! Crazy

1 Like

Smack his hand. Not hard. Enough to catch his attention. Telling him no in a stern mom voice. If you dont smack his hand. Then say no. In mom voice and place him in crib or play pen.

I tapped my children’s hand with my finger and said “no, not nice” and put them in the playpen or something.

1 Like

All babies go through this stage of pulling mommies hair. Scratching, just keep their nails short

Nip this in the bud!! He is testing you and apparently getting out frustration but you need to show disapproval NOW and let him know this is not appropriate or acceptable!! Doing the work now will make life for you and your child easier down the road!! Good Luck…you got this!!!

Ten months? Play pen time out. No toys. Each occurrence say no no to the hair or no no biting and put him in alone sitting down. When he calms down them remove him to the toy area if it reoccurs repeat process all over.

Tell him no sternly and put him in a safe place and distance yourself from him for a minute. It is pretty natural for this to happen at this age.

When they get aggressive, let them know they hurt you, say ouch and that you don’t want to play. You can even go as far as setting them down and walking away.

1 Like

My son went through a similar episode. We narrowed it down to a red dye 40 intolerance. It made him really aggressive.

1 Like

Hes testing the boundaries . If he does it. Firmly say no and walk away . Consistency is the key with toddlers . Being firm.

2 Likes

I would say stop in a stern voice and face tell him gentle touches and put him down instantly stay consistent. Before you pick him back up tal him again t gentle touches

All mine got what they did. Not hard, but enough to grasp the concept. Say no and put baby down the first episode…after that…do what they did. Raised 2 boys and 2 girls…all perfectly normal, healthy and well behaved. Mannered.

I dont “do it back”… I fake cry. Show them that what they did hurt me, cry, fuss, make a big deal make them feel bad and then they will usually kiss me, hug me, pat my shoulder, ect. Kids are really bothered by seeing their parents cry.

he’s 10 months old. he doesn’t know that he’s “hurting you” so i don’t think it’s the best idea to “do it back”

1 Like

He is learning about personal boundries and how to treat other. He is learning this which means he must be taught through example what is acceptable. I would necessarily suggest the “do it back” method (because it could lead to him treating others this way instead of vocalizing his preferences/standards later on). However sometimes he might not realize what he’s doing (meaning to be mean) he might be seeking a certain type of attention. At this age repeated reminders and praise for loving behavior and consequences for hurtful behavior (even unintentional) are key. Consequences does not necessarily mean “time out” for him, but that YOU need a time out (to collect yourself and for him to realize that you are not going to accept that behavior). It could be as simple as “i need a break. I’m not going to play with you if you are going to hurt me” (after you’ve already told him to stop)

All babies do…mine both did same thing. My daughter stopped quickly with a stern “no” but my son (15months) wont stop.

a 10 month old doesn’t understand the concept of pain or meanness!!

2 Likes

Lots of good advice. I will say that dealing with it is very important. If you don’t It turns into a relationship problem and can resurface in the early teen years. No violence! Build the relationship. Don’t worry too much about consistency–try, but don’t be too hard on your “self”. Life is not consistent. And mothering is HARD. It is learning respect and empathy.

For heavens sake don’t smack a 10 month old hands! I have 5 kids who have all done this and a firm “no” and put them down works just as well. They realise if they do it, they lose mama. Hope this helps

My son bit me once.he was 3…I bit him back just as hard and he never did it again…

1 Like

Take a look at your surroundings who is he with more, kids learn by example. If kids are misbehaving it’s the parents example for not guiding them and no discipline.

I used to take both of their hands and look into their eyes and say no very firmly. Hangs the tone of your voice, stop the action and look at them when you say no

Its a phase. Every time he does it, tell him NO in a firm voice, and place him somewhere safe for a couple seconds. He will get the idea that its not a good thing.

When my kids did this I would put them down and say I don’t want to play with you if you do this and I would walk away. It took a few times but they got the idea

When mine started that I would grab their hands , look them in the eye and say no then I would spat their hands . But you must be consistent and NOT laugh at them doing this . The quicker you make them understand the word no the better off you will be and so will they . Spatting their hands does not hurt them but always tell them no and why you are spatting them . As for the biting you hate to bite your child so hopefully after telling them no they will stop it .

All kids do this… when my son was little and he would do something I would get down on his level look him in the eyes and shake my head tell him no no every time he did something wrong… he grew out of it.

1 Like

Pull your hair back let them know that is not acceptable. Give them a supervised time out for a couple of minutes in a crib or play pen. Be consistent and when they cry, don’t give in. Make it short and sweet, but fo it every time. No hitting or yelling though, uou have control…they are a baby and they don’t.

Holy crap! This is a 10 month old baby. He doesn’t have the cognitive ability to understand that it is “mean.” He doesn’t understand that. Whatever you do, do not slap his hand or do it back to him. That is abuse because you do know it is meant to hurt. All he is going to understand is that mommy is hurting him. If he does that, just remove his hand and firmly say, “no.” He doesn’t have to be hurt to understand no. Just because a child does something that is wrong or hurts, that doesn’t mean he or she actually can formulate a motive or understand it is wrong. Kids do things all the time without understanding the ramifications. That is why you have to teach them. You can either teach them that this is wrong by hurting him or you can teach him that it is wrong by telling him “no.” It’s your choice.

They don’t understand pain, and that they are causing it when they do this. I just did it back to my kids, (LIGHTLY, for those of you who will scream CHILD ABUSE), and after the first to second time, they stopped doing it.

I agree with the other comment, baby is testing boundaries. When he pulls hair,scratches or bites say in a firm tone “No biting” or “No hair pulling” then put baby down. Baby will learn that when he does those things he doesn’t get his way and won’t be held. Eventually he will stop, teething does play a factor in biting, I would also recommend to give a teething toy or washcloth after he is told no biting to redirect him to bite on something acceptable. I never bit my kids back I don’t believe in that, they are babies. Stay consistent and be firm and baby will stop.

15 Likes

Do it back but not as hard so you don’t hurt him, I went through this

1 Like

They’ve never had hair pulled n bit just like puppies, even Mama will bite back to teach

1 Like

Is he in daycare? If so I would switch care providers asap. Look at who the peers he is around are and change them. Especially the ones he is around when not looking then be ready for him to be the kid teaching others to do it so you will need to enact some sort of program to combat his behavior. Talk to others that have dealt with this exact issue look for a parenting group that focuses on this problem. But remove and replace his peers asap

As above, let him know it hurts and say no. Be very consistent. I would also say, “no, hands are for hugging” or something along those lines.

Okay so my baby is 4 and tantrums have taken over. Help would be appreciated too. I have thrown myself on the ground and copied him, didn’t work. Any other suggestions

Hold his hand very firmly and say no very loud clear and in his face. Do it twice. If he does it a 3rd time, crib! After 2 minutes go get him and try again!

I have no advice to give. My toddler did this too… out right bit me in the thigh and smashed me with his head and gave me a black eye… it’ll pass.

Eventually kids learn how to behave in school when the parents can’t do their job and discipline their children. I can’t even believe someone would ask a question like this.

Do it back. He has to learn how it feels and once he realizes that it hurts, he will eventually stop.

I have a nine month old and he does the same thing so your not alone.

I used to use a crib or a playpen for a 5 min time out, & after the time out, explain on your knees on their level that is not ok to do that. teach them young.

1 Like

I’d tell him ouch you hurt me and if you donit again its naptime…then next time its naptime i dont care how much you scream …nothing fun in the bed

10 months old isn’t mean he’s a baby he doesn’t know

Put the child on the floor and make them sit in a chair they will cry but that’s ok you better teach them while they are young.

Testing boundaries , or voicing frustration ? Is he getting quality time , attention, play , outdoors? If so then just testing boundaries . I’ve worked with children for years , response is everything . No yelling , spanking etc. Remain calm, don’t let em see you sweat. But, yes, be consistent with words and actions. It’s hard and tricky. I do a lot of diversion tactics

It’s horrible to think that children of that age can actually be mean or whether they have the capabilities to be that way. It’s like a head teacher believing a child is malicious intentionally. People need to think rationally

Chemicals, soap deodorant, air fresheners, all of it. Food intolerances, milk, wheat…
Tv, is it on. Commercials for horrible programs, sports, violence,
Tone of voice for disapproval.
Nurture.

Sign language for some things… hungry…nursing milk…tired…diaper…
Can find in line…Then some basic communication is understood.

So much love and patience is needed.

Did it coincide with vaccines?
New babysitter.
Interrupted sleep.

Saw a program about a child having sleeping problems. All kinds if behaviour issues. They thought it was some big problem.
Upon expert investigation with a night camera, they discovered the boy’s sleep was being interrupted by the dog jumping into his bed and laying on his pillow. Boy gets up parents put him back dog gone by then. Then boy asleep again snd cat comes in walks over him waking him, boy pushing cat aside.
Boy wasn’t getting his sleep.
Problem solved, boys behaviour back to sweet as ever.

Investigate empathize
Love :heartpulse:

1 Like

Yell ouch abruptly. Enough to startle him. Then tell him no, and distract him.

1 Like

Give him a little tap on the hands when he does it. He will stop.

I agree do it back
It worked with my boys

I would say ouch! and put him down. Pick him back up and give hugs, but be consistent with not letting him hurt you

Who’s the parent!!! Stop this behavior now or it will only get worse!!! And the child will grow up to be like all these other privileged punks running rampant in this country!!! YOURE THE PARENT, DISCIPLINE THE CHILD!!! (And no im not saying hit the child) when the child exhibits bad behavior put them down and walk away, buy a small baby barrier and put the child in there for a few minutes with no toys.

Whatever he does to you, do it back, but alot more gentle. Went through the same thing with my daughter, it stopped quickly after she understood it wasn’t funny and hurt.

20 Likes

Jordan so you’re saying let them get by with it just say OW sorry but that’s not going to fix the problem.

1 Like

My daughter bite me once and only once!!! She went to bite me and I grabbed her arm and she bit herself hard she broke skin, she never bit me again!! I have heard every baby goes through a bitting stage

5 Likes

Been there done that. Both my kids grew out of it. Plus I would tell them that hurts.

I did the same with my seven both girls and boys it sowed them it wasn’t nice

do it back but not too hard… my son stops…

Was it sudden? I would be concerned about some abuse you are unaware of? Not talking yet so no other way to communicate. Someone is doing something to your child to teach that behavior IMO

Babies are visual learners, teach him, be patient, he will watch and learn.

Do you display a big reaction when he does these things? He may be looking for that loud “ouch!” Or a certain facial expression. Try just gently moving his hand or setting him down but try not to display a big reaction n see if it helps over the course of a few days

3 Likes

Have you tried completely ignoring him? It could be for attention and when he sees that isn’t working he might stop. Or it could be out of frustration if he can’t communicate what he wants or needs. That’s a tough age to figure out! Good luck! :two_hearts:

He’s making a conscious decision , now you, sit him down alone, let him know it’s not acceptable, and walk away, for a few minutes

Tell him NO when he’s pulling your hair or any other thing he shouldn’t. Don’t make it a game. Show him how you feel.

1 Like

He’s not mean, he’s developmentally normal. My recommendation is to look in to the development of childrens’ brains & developmentally appropriate expectations & responses.

Redirect. Do not react, hard as that is. He does it, put him down, no eye contact.

1 Like

Bite him back! Bet he won’t do it after that.

Wow spanking or hitting a BABY?? Y’all are nuts. Be extra with him and yell OW after everything hurtful he does and he’ll start to understand it hurts. He’s just testing his surroundings.

8 Likes

I’m just wondering if you took him to a pediatrician?

1 Like

Hitting only teaches violence. There’s so many successful ways to discipline a child without spanking, whippings etc.

1 Like

He’s a 10 month old baby! All these comments are like swat his butt, bite back. Please don’t swat or bite your baby… lol He’ll most likely grow out of it.

They are trying to express how they are feeling. Sometimes they think it’s a game.

Im sry but old school ways work best for that

3 Likes

May be the reaction you give attracts and takes it as fun. Due to pain in his gums he only tries to put everything in his mouth. Cut his nails and wash his hands regularly. Apply honey mix with a pinch of salt on his gums it will soothe his gums.

1 Like

Who else is watching this child? He is learning this behavior from somewhere.

Are you by chance pregnant again?

Although the behavior is normal, it’s up to you to curb it. Babies have no concept of cause and effect. He gets a reaction (doesn’t matter if it is negative) and therefore wants to continue. I had to bite my daughter to stop her from biting. It was how my mom had to stop me and it is the recommended way by pediatricians. I’m not talking about leaving marks, just hard enough so it hurts and gets the point across. Babies don’t understand that the things they do hurts until they feel the pain. Then they can associate. I’m sure the same can be done with hair pulling and pinching. Good luck Mama!

4 Likes

Whoop his ass and show him who is boss and let him know the consequences of reality!raise your boy to be respectful not dominant!just saying !

He likes the reaction, smack his hand.

1 Like

Corrections, boundaries, consequences EVERY TIME

3 Likes

You better discipline him now or you are in for hell

3 Likes

Smile, but seriously. Say: Oh, are we playing the kicking game? Then kick. He’ll be shocked. He may kinda kick back.
Say with a big smile : oh! Are we still playing the kicking game? Then kick a tad bit harder.
Say: Do you like the kicking game?
He’ll indicate he doesn’t like. Say with a serious face. I don’t like kicking. I don’t like the kicking game. Kicking hurts. I love you. I don’t want to play the kicking game.

Substitute bit, hit, hair pulling, pinching, etc.
Most children, after you have “played” all you have to say is: Oh do you want to play the kicking game?
Most children will immediately say: No.
When you kick, hit, bite, etc. you can not be abusive, but it needs to hurt a little.
At this age they are nonverbal. Talking with big explanations are not effective.
Make sure your facial expressions are extreme, or overt. Children at this age get lots of cues from facial expressions and tone of voice.

That’s what I say.Hit his hands. Mine learned after a few times.

Constant, exhausting redirection. Eventually it works. Hang in there mamma :crossed_fingers:

Talk to your paediatrician it might be helpful.

Trying pretend crying and put the baby down.

He’s not “mean”, he’s learning.

1 Like