My 10-Month-Old Has Suddenly Become Really Mean: Advice?

QUESTION:

"So my ten-month-old is starting to get really mean! He is constantly pulling my hair, scratching my face, pinching me, and biting me!

He is teething really bad, but the other stuff, I’m not even sure where he learned it from. It’s not just him trying to play with my hair either he purposely grabs a handful and yanks it out. It’s become a game for him (also, it’s not just to me. He does it to everyone).

What should I do? How do I get him to stop?"

RELATED QUESTION: My grandson constantly acts out: Advice?

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

“Let’s all stop for a moment and remember this is a 10-month-old baby. Far too young to understand discipline. Redirect.”

“You can’t say no biting then turn around and bite him… same as slapping totally defeats the purpose. I use to make a big deal out of it acted like they really hurt mommy (crying and all) when they did that and they felt so bad even at 11-months-old. Kids are smarter than we think!! It’s a phase he will grow out of it. I had 4 boys they all did in no time!!”

“I always pulled my kid’s hair back. It’s just a very light tug but they didn’t like it. Bite them back too! My son always laughed when I bit him so it was never hard and it took forever to break that of him.”

“I’ve been dealing with my son ever since he was about the same age I tried time out, the firm no’s and the redirection to no avail. A mom on this group then suggested I try this technique which has actually worked! When he hits you, employ big dramatics cry and act as it hurts you. He will begin to strengthen and develop empathy because he does not want to hurt his mommy. Trust me it works. My son hit my grandma and she was hurt and he could tell and he covered his face in shame and hasn’t done it since.”

“He is literally a BABY. He isn’t aware enough at this age to be spiteful. He’s fascinated with hair and stuff because it moves or is soft, etc. Gently move his little fingers and start to say “no, that hurts mummy” and distract him with something else.”

“I’m avid reader about child development and a teacher. I can assure you he hasn’t become mean. He’s exploring the world and creating concepts like cause and effect. He doesn’t know that he’s hurting you by pulling your hair or biting you. He doesn’t do it to hurt you. My baby does the same thing as well. I say “ouch, baby, that hurts! I won’t let you pull my hair” I stop her from doing that and redirect her attention to something else. I give her something else to focus on, like a teething toy.”

“No need to be a lazy parent by biting and hitting a baby to get the message across. There are other ways to do so, it just takes a little patience and self-control on the parent’s part. This is totally normal, and he is just exploring cause and effect, so he shouldn’t be punished for something he doesn’t understand is wrong. That’s just cruel. He won’t even begin to develop impulse control until 3 years old so the only thing that works is redirection. Tell him it hurts and show the appropriate action, gives him something else to bite, and/or move his focus onto something else entirely. When you tell a young child “don’t do this” and that’s it, you have not given them the proper education on what they can do instead, and when you perform the very action you don’t want them to do in an effort to teach them not to do it, then you’re just confusing them. They still think biting and hitting is ok, just not to do it to you because they now fear you will hurt them.”

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW:

92 Likes

Say no in a Stern voice and tap his hand

3 Likes

Is there anyone other than you he is left alone with who could be providing a negative example?

1 Like
4 Likes

My third kid did this. It didn’t matter if I put him down and walked away, raised my voice, spanked his hand, slapped his face back or pulled his hair back. He only did it to himself and I. And trying to stop it just fueled his fire. I just realized last week that I’m not sure when it finally stopped but that it’s been quite a while. Just know it won’t last forever

Old school answer. Return the behaviour. It shows them it hurts. They stop immediately.

26 Likes

He is too little to understand consequences of actions . Redirect.
He is not doing it purposely to harm anyone . He doesn’t know . Redirect.

5 Likes

Seriously, a good ass whipping will do the little monster :japanese_ogre: some justice

8 Likes

Its normal, dont worry, and I agree with Tami McCabe return the behaviour.

3 Likes

Welcome to parenthood

Talk to him, explain right and wrong. He is so young he doesnt knoe anything and needs to be talked to, more communication especially from now til 18 all about explaining and instructing good from bad and working through emotions.

3 Likes

Well let me say i will give u my advice but it wont be the most popular . I always say bite them back on the other stuff scold him and tell him its not nice

27 Likes

Also… very normal for babies that age to do so, they are starting to figure things out, touch, emotions, dos ans donts etc…

5 Likes

That’s so hard. I’m sure it’s very upsetting to you.b I think a good thing to do is put the baby down or turn your back on them when they attack you. Do your best not to give them a reaction. Then if course spend lots of time with positive interactions. Perhaps you can identify situations when the bad behavior crops up-tired, end of day, when you are busy with chores, and try to set the baby on a different path.

1 Like

My daughter is the same age and does that as well. We just tell her no.

1 Like

Its normal. They still can’t talk so when they’re sleepy or frustrated or want attention that’s what they do. They express themselves through touching or acting out. My son did those things for a few months then outgrew them. Just hang tight, you’ll be in another stage in 2 months lol

I set my boy down and walk away if he pulls my hair or bites me then when he comes back or i pick him back up i tell him no hit bite or what ever it is working but remember they dont know better at that age

3 Likes

I can’t tell you how many scratches In my nose I have from my 14. Month old and then she laughs

I just gently swat at her hand when I see it coming and tell her no firmly if she’s sitting on me when she does that or bites I put her down or if it’s bed time than she cries it out.

3 Likes

Just ignore and calmly redirect him toward something positive. He must just want more attention and negative attention is attention.

1 Like

Let’s all stop for a moment and remember this is a 10 month old baby. Far to young to understand discipline. Redirect.

14 Likes

I always pulled my kids hair back. It’s just a very light tug but they didn’t like it. Bite them back too! My son always laughed when I bit him so it was never hard n it took forever to break that of him.

6 Likes

Tug his hair back (not hard tho) and bite him back. It sounds mean I know, but it may work. Worked for my 2 kids. You can try saying “no biting” firmly when you see him going for you but if you don’t see it bite him back. My kids only bit each other once and I let the other bite them back and I haven’t had a problem since. Babies understand a lot more than we think, try redirecting , saying “no!” And then the last, doing it all back to him (except scratching)

6 Likes

My 15 month old accidentally punched me in the face yesterday and I thought she would hug me and comfort me because I was pretending to be sad but instead she whacked me again right in the mouth and laughed.

1 Like

I’ve been dealing with my son ever since he was about the same age I tried time out, the firm no’s and the redirection to no avail. A mom on this group then suggested I try this technique which has actually worked! When he hits you, employ big dramatics cry and act like it hurts you. He will begin to strengthen and develop empathy because he does not want to hurt his mommy. Trust me it works. My son hit my grandma and she was hurt and he could tell and he covered his face in shame and hasn’t done it since.

4 Likes

When you hold the child make sure he always faces away from you then he can’t reach to pull hair the biting and scratching keep on guard. If he keeps trying then he can get down.

Do you stop him from doing what’s wrong and tell him a firm no?!

Quickest way to stop them is do the same to them, more gentler approach is to say no, and if he does it again say no and put him on the floor and walk away

2 Likes

At times I would have to really overreact when it happened by yelling “ouch…you hurt mommy!!” A couple of times of that worked for my daughter on certain things…but when she was in the phase of slapping in the face that didn’t work. I didn’t want to but I had to slap her back…and I think it surprised her that I did it and it eventually stopped after a couple of times.

3 Likes

I used to tug my daughters hair back or if she slapped she’d get crib time. Be strong.

3 Likes

I just grabbed their hand and firmly said no and immediately put the child down or walk away

1 Like

Definitely a normal stage. I had to take her hands off of my hair and tell her, “No, not nice”. And other variations of that. She was learning how to pet dogs at the time, and "being nice and gentle " when petting them so it worked well to use the same words and phrases. As she got a little older she started pulling hair and pinching and such again. i would pull her hair or pinch her back. Shed look at me in horror and that sucked but after a few times she figured it out and stopped. Same with biting. She bit me 1 time. Never again. She tested it on other people ans even drawing blood on my aunt but after she got bit back she never did it again.

Just remember this is the beginning of setting boundaries. Whatever approach you use now, and whatever you let slide will continue as he gets older. So whether its timeouts, putting them down after saying no etc remain consistent.

1 Like

You can’t say no bitting then turn around and bite him… same as slapping totally defeats the pupose, I use to make a big deal out of it acted like they really hurt mommy ( crying and all ) when they did that and they felt so bad even at 11mon old… kids are smarter then we think!! It’s a phase he will grow out of it… I had 4 boys they all did in no time!!

9 Likes

I’m avid reader about child development and a teacher. I can assure you he hasn’t become mean. He’s exploring the world and creating a concepts like cause and effect. He doesn’t know that he’s hurting you by pulling your hair or biting you. He doesn’t do it to hurt you. My baby does the same thing as well. I say “ouch, baby, that hurts! I won’t let you pull my hair” I stop her from doing that and redirect her attention to something else. I give her something else to focus on, like a teething toy.

6 Likes

Welcome to the club, my boy is nearly 4 & still does most of it except he has never bitten me lol

Say no firmly and put baby down.

he didn’t learn it from anything or anywhere he is a 10 month old child and that’s what they do. They don’t know slapping you or pulling your hair is wrong you have to teach them that. And by the way a 10 month old is not going to understand what discipline is yet they are 10 months old they don’t even know slapping you is wrong or pulling off your glasses or snatching off your earring!!! I do not suggest biting the child back or anything like that because I had a friend that went to jail for that for child abuse so I would watch what you do I think somebody make a comment about pulling their hair back sometimes you want to watch doing that around other people who you think are your friends because they could go home and turn around and call Child Services I’ve seen that happen to my friends. and then Child Services is going to go why are you pulling the kids hair or biting the kid back anyways! 🤷🤷🤦🤦🤷 I used to pop my daughter on the hand real lightly and say no ma’am we don’t hit Mommy that’s a no no that’s bad.

8 Likes

No wonder there are so many aggressive and messed up kids in the world… their parents are biting them and pulling their hair… :disappointed:

8 Likes

Give him back what he gives. He needs to know it hurts

6 Likes

I told mine “that’s an ouch”.
Then I would tug her hair and say, “ouch”.
She bit me one time, it startled me, I couldn’t say anything - just put her down and pushed her away a little, she never did it again.
However, if you put it in their mouth it’s fair game, if you don’t want it bitten don’t put it in there :joy:

1 Like

If you are having big reactions to it, that could be why he thinks it’s a game. When he pulls hair, hits, or bites don’t yell. Tell him no that hurts put him down and walk away. Give it a few days if it doesn’t get any better then I would consider doing it back to him. Not enough to hurt him, but enough to get his attention and show him it hurts. For all but one telling them no that hurts and walking away from them worked. But one of my kiddos he was a biter and he would bite people until he drew blood. I ended up biting him back after the other thing didn’t work. It did work. For most they are testing boundaries and trying to get a reaction from you. If you don’t give the reaction they want they will stop.

2 Likes

My kids got into that stage. When they bit me…I did it back… Not enough to draw blood, but enough to let them know it hurt… They never did it again… The other stuff… Try swatting his hand and saying no and owe that hurts. That don’t work, don’t give him a reaction, but set him down and walk away.

2 Likes

Hopefully he isn’t copying that from a babysitter who abuses him when you aren’t there to observe. :anguished:

1 Like

Just enjoy the moment.Maybe his just playing with you :blush:

I could never slap, bite or pull my children’s hair, thats just plain cruel.
A simple but firm no whilst pulling their hands away from you and immediately putting them down or away from you will do the trick after a few times. My 6 month old daughter pulls hair and all I have to do is say no, let go and she let’s go. No violence, shouting or crying needed. Its a phase they all go through, some take longer then others to learn that something hurts you and they shouldn’t do it. They’ll understand eventually just be persistent.

2 Likes

He’s only 10 months , he doesn’t really understand discipline at this age. Just redirect him continuously.

1 Like

Trish Geltner :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: I am probably a terrible person but I am cracking up!!!

2 Likes

At this age it’s part of learning and exploring.

1 Like

Just get a squirt bottle and spray him in the face. Works every time…jk that’s advice for cats

5 Likes

I think all babies go through that phase. Both mine did and it got better. They don’t understand that hitting hurts and is mean. So, every time they hit me I fake cried. Made them really upset and they’d comfort me :joy: my oldest used to be the worst hitter but now she’s gotten so much better

1 Like

If you have pain and no understanding and words to express, you would interact with whatever came to hand and in your baby’s case that’s you. Bite scratch pull is your baby’s way of telling you there is pain. I’d say your baby is very bright .

My lil boy is going though this i tell him to be nice he gets a warning then goes in his bed to make him learn its not ok to do that its working slowly but be persinstant i thought i was never gunna be able to stop him but he doesnt do it as much now hes 14months old. Hope ur able to stop ur lil one x

2 Likes

You must tell him no thats not nice and change the tone of your voice so that he gets to understand that you mean it

I would just keep reassuring kind hands show him gentle gestures. My 10 month old is the exact same, but he’s learning! Xx

1 Like

He is 10 months a baby he didn’t learn it he is far too young he is just pulling on anything and everything exploring his little world

5 Likes

My son is 9mo, and doing similar things. It’s part of them growing up.

He learned a month or two ago that patting/hitting things makes noise. So he does it to everything - people included. He doesn’t realize its mean - he just has fun making noise. When he does it to me though, I’ll tell him, “Ow! No! That hurts!” and that usually surprises him enough that he stops. If not, I put him down or move him away. And keep doing so til he realizes I’m not allowing such behavior. I started as soon as he did, and now he either chooses not to do it, or, he realizes quickly it’s not gonna fly and moves on to do something else.

He is literally a BABY. He isn’t aware enough at this age to be spiteful. He’s fascinated with hair and stuff because it moves or is soft ect. Gently move his little fingers and start to say “no, that hurts mummy” and distract him with something else.

5 Likes

Try doing the same thing to him .But in a easy way. He art to get the message if in the long run . If that don’t work gently tape his hand and say no.

3 Likes

You can NOT correct hitting WITH hitting :roll_eyes: “don’t hit me, but I’ll hit you?”

5 Likes

10 months old. Not mean just a baby

Its normal, he didnt learn it anywhere they think theure playing and doesnt know its wrong. My daughter is 11mo ths old and she does it to me just have to persevere and keep saying no xx

1 Like

There seems to be a lot off abusive parents on here.

2 Likes

Welcome to parenthood :raised_hands:t2:

2 Likes

I have a baby who’s just turned one, she does all that to me too, don’t worry though he isn’t “Being Mean” he’s just exploring his mamma!
Mine goes for my tattoos tryna pick them off! :rofl: which is more painful than actually Getting the tattoo done!! :rofl: xx

1 Like

Set a rule and stick to it. Consistency is key. He will learn. My boy went through a phase where he would bite. Sometimes when drawing blood since he had a full set of teeth very early we just kept saying No, and saying teeth aren’t for bitting. Bought a book called teeth are not for biting and read it to him every night. He is now four and no longer bites. We are now in new phases that are always challenging.

Aren’t kids great!

17 Likes

I’m amazed at the amount of people that think babies don’t understand and can’t be disciplined. I’ve raised 8 children. Not all of them since they were babies but many of them were. I never put up decorations. I never stopped wearing earrings or necklaces. I taught them from very very little not to touch that stuff. I was never mean about it but I started as soon as they started grabbing. 2-3 months old. I pulled their hands away from
My earrings and necklaces and glasses. By the time they could crawl they understood to stay away from stuff when I told them. Of course it wasn’t always 100% but it worked well. He needs to know his behavior is unacceptable but he also needs to know what behavior is acceptable too.

133 Likes

Kids quite literally aren’t capable of truly being mean on purpose that young. He’s frustrated, probably in pain from teething, and that’s how he’s communicating. Make sure you’re giving him your full attention and doing what you can to help with pain relief. Aside from that, just keep redirecting when he does it.

50 Likes

Every time my son pulled my hair, i would pull his hair and tell him it hurts you just as much as it hurts me. He quit after a few times, and hasnt done it sense.
Now the biting, idk how to stop that, im having the same problem with him and hes almost 3 :sob:

22 Likes

At ten months your baby has barely started learning from the responses he gets for his actions. To top it he’s teething. Be gentle with him, love him, rub a little ice on his gums and a little glycerine (unless he’s allergic to it). At the same time be firm. When he starts pulling your hair, probably either he’s enjoying the response he’s getting from you (cause he’s doing the same to the others) or he’s annoyed you aren’t doing anything about the pain in his gums. Apply a little almond or olive oil on his head and massage it gently. You’ll see the difference… and… let him know it hurts you when he bites or pulls your hair. Talk to him gently and cuddle him

1 Like

I would reinforce good behavior. Lots of love, hugs and cuddles. When mine were little and tried to do some of these things I’d gently but firmly take hold of their hand and say “No, no… We don’t do that. We love each other.” And then demonstrate by putting their palm on my cheek… This worked well but there was a few times it didn’t. I ended up putting them down to let them see if they hurt me, then I wasn’t going to stay near. In my opinion, they’re just trying to find their boundaries. Just be consistent

3 Likes

He’s just being a baby. Hes adapting. Just love him and show him hugs feel better

21 Likes

Mine does this too, usually when he’s tired. I hold his hand and tell and show him gentle if he continues to be mean I set him down and explain he needs to be gentle if he wants to nurse/be held. Of course he is a baby, he doesn’t understand YET but he will eventually understand.

7 Likes

I think alot of times when their that young I think we think them doing anything even pulling hair is cute and we laugh and let them do it. But when we realise its not nice and it hurts its too late. We as parents need to nip it in the bud as soon as it happens. When he does it tell him no look him in the eyes and let him know its nit acceptable. When I got the look my kids knew to stop.

4 Likes

Correct and love. Its the first step of teaching your child right from wrong. Absolutely normal. Be firm but show them love at the same time

6 Likes

If he is pulling at your face and scratching and pulling your hair, you have to tell him not to do that and put him down. You have to do it every time. A lot of people will tell you to say no but I won’t tell you to say that. You tell that child even at 10 months old you’re hurting me you’re not allowed to do that put him down. When a child feel like this are not going to get the response from you that they want, they will change the behavior. I raised 5 and now I’m raising another one. What I’m saying will work just fine

16 Likes

When he’s being mean walk away! Be stern be up front that’s hurts ouch no be loud enough to get a reaction…
Super nanny the old show has really good episodes on this stuff I love her shows w jo jo

5 Likes

My son went through a phase where he bit people. Then another kid bit him back. Hard. He never did it again. That child wasn’t even angry, but he sure showed him what it felt like. Biting is abuse too.

5 Likes

I agree what ever he does you do it back to him show him how it feels an let him know it is wrong an he is not allowed to.do that stuff at all. I have a 22 month old grandbaby I am raising an I did the pulling of the hair an biting yes I bite back. She no longer does any of the bad habits as of now… if she starts back I will do the same plus in force the time out chair for 2 minutes
They must learn. You need to put a stop to it now before it gets way out of hand. I will you an the baby in prayer

3 Likes

You have to tell your baby that it hurts… you have to let your baby that it isn’t nice. I always did it back of course not hard just enough to that my children were surprised. They didn’t like it. They eventually stopped…

3 Likes

What worked for me was to trade something to distract the baby if continues sit baby on the floor and let them play alone

5 Likes

My 8 month old does the same thing when she is SUPER tired. Just keep saying no and he will eventually get it.

3 Likes

My daughter was bad to bite her brother who was 17 months older than her. I kept telling him to bite back but he wouldn’t do it. One day I was sitting in living room and they were playing and she wanted something he had and when he wouldn’t give it to her she leaned over and bit him. I didn’t say a word - just reached over and bit her arm just as hard she bit him. Never had anymore problems with her biting.

7 Likes

When my kids would do that at this age I’d say owww like it really hurt bad and pretend to cry and then set them apart from me and keep a distance away for a little bit with hurt feelings. They get the idea.

20 Likes

I did it back when my kids went thru that stage. Broke it very quickly. Also remained in their memory enough that when my grandson started to get to that stage, they warned him and he skipped over it…

18 Likes

I started telling my son “ouch, you hurt mama, no touch my hair or I’ll put you down” the second time he didnjt, I put him down and said “im putting you on the floor, no touch mamas hair”. Sometimes he didn’t mind being on the floor and I let it go, other times he insisted I pick him up but if he touched my hair again he went on the floor again and I did something else. He cried of course but he learned fast not to pull my hair if he wanted me to hold him. Babies are always exploring and seeing “if I do this, this or that happens”.

17 Likes

When my kids did that to me, I did it back to them. Worked like a charm. I didn’t hurt them but it showed them how their actions felt to the other person. Good luck.

2 Likes

I don’t no if ur a stay at home mom. If he’s in daycare. Check it out. Something is going on. But then again. Growing pains ? Each child is different. Good luck mama :pray:

3 Likes

Biting is common in kids teething. My son bit a lot in daycare when he was and we started using ice for his gums. I don’t particularly like doing it back to them because since you are an authority figure they might think it’s ok to do it to anyone. He’s only 10 months old and cannot communicate like he wants to.

4 Likes

Hes testing boundaries. Everytime he does something mean you need to immediately tell him no and set him down and walk away. He will eventually see that doing the mean things makes him not get mommy anymore.

19 Likes

Every time he’s mean, swat the fatty part of his thigh & sternly day “No!”…not loud, just stern. Do it hard enough to sting, but not too hard.

19 Likes

10 months .You tell him “ouch”. You take his hand. Show him how to do nice, do gentle. .show him with your facial expressions how unpleased or how pleased you are with his behavior…
Repeat this over and over. He’ll get it. He’ll want to see you happy and smiling. It will work…been doing day care with infants for 30 yrs. Try not to get angry. Just do sad and happy facial expressions and gentle tone’s. Good luck💕

6 Likes

He’s not mean! He doesn’t understand the effect of that. If he’s getting a reaction, he might react to that.

7 Likes

At this age you need to redirect their bad behavior to positive behavior. Saying “ouch” and stopping play will work. It’s about consistency. You shouldn’t hit a child or do what they do back, especially at his age because they don’t understand exactly what’s going on. It’s not purposeful. They see you react and want to see if they are going to try the same reaction.

4 Likes

When he starts to act this way place him in a safe place and walk away while explaining that you can’t hold him if he is going to do those things. Don’t even go out of site. It is more effective if they can see you not holding them. If you pick him up and he does it again put him right back and explain why. It may take awhile to teach them this way. Babies are all different and respond differently but it worked with mine and most of the babies that I kept in the daycares.

4 Likes

My daughter did that… I would just say ow! Really loud and then she’d cry, but she stopped… When she did it to me or anyone else I reminded her that its not nice, and a very firm no. Shes 16 months now and is much better… Just be consistant

4 Likes

Talk to your pediatrician and get this behavior under control. He is the child and you MUST be the parent.

5 Likes

Wow. I cannot even believe the number of people that are suggesting hitting a baby. Just wow. I feel bad for your kids.

7 Likes

Say “OUCH!” In a very stern voice. And say that hurts and set him down away from you and tell him you don’t want him by you if he’s going to be mean. Off he still keeps doing it then do it back to him. Sometimes they don’t understand at the she that those things hurt until it happens to them. He’ll learn.

4 Likes

Just normal behaviour, just say a stern NO, whilst holding the hand,my kids are grown and I remember them doing this. And they are all lovely well rounded people :slight_smile:

1 Like

Id swat her/ his butt, not hard but enough to let them know its not the right thing to do. Either now or later. Now is when there brain is developing and you are their teacher , teach them.kindness teach them that its not ok to be mean
Not in anger but in firmness and Not to hurt but to get their attention. But people will probably disagree.
Ive raised 4 kids , not perfectly, but they are all.kind and caring, loving individuals - and they got swatted on the butts. They are all good with kids , respectful adults, so the thought process that it turns a kid in to a mean adult is NOT true! :slight_smile: <3

3 Likes

He is testing boundaries correct him right away so it doesn’t continue.

3 Likes