My 10-week-old has been spitting up a lot: Advice?

My 10 week old just spit up water and not a little bit of water a lot. We have tried adding extra formula to her bottles, 3 different water types, and taking the chill off of it. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do? She has a horrible neck rash because of all the spitting up

15 Likes

How many ounces is she taking

She’s either eating too much or has reflux

Call the doctor? Sounds like reflux but a doctor would diagnose between than the internet.

1 Like

my LO had the same problem. she has reflux. try a more upright position when feeding.

My son had this problem on similac. Sometimes he would sput up half a bottle at a time. Didnt matter how many burps, or how he ate, or what water we used. I just made the switch to equates verison of enfamil, and we have had no spit up! The dr said the spit up was normal and offered no advice. Try switching to a gentle formula of a different brand!

1 Like

Sounds like reflux. See a dr. Burp a lot, elevate after the feed, my son had projectile reflux and it was awful

Just because her puke is watery doesnt mean you should put more formula in the bottle… Thats not how it works. Take her to an actual dr and ask about acid reflux, sometimes it can be the formula but you shouldnt change it unless her dr says to.

6 Likes

Make sure you’re burping her after each feeding. Try to get a small, easy, burp but keep going for a much larger burp. If that doesn’t work chat with your doctor about reflux or switching to an easy to digest formula.

Have her tested for milk allergy! Switch to non milk based formula

1 Like

Try switching formula to a gentler one

Have her checked for pyloric stenosis. Same for my son and that was what he had. Easy fix surgery at 6 weeks old for him.

Change the formula to a gentle ease one.

Are you giving her straight water??

Take an 8 oz bottle fill it with filtered water and add 1 peppermint candy- the kind you eat after dinner. Shake the bottle to let the mint dilute a little. The mint doesn’t need to desolve completely. Feed the baby about an oz. The peppermint helps with reflux and digestion. You can do this after each feeding. It’s also ok if baby takes more than an oz. Then burp baby. You may notice gas and burping.

We used enfamil a.r and it helped my son with spitting up.

2 Likes

Make an appointment the formula maybe upset her belly n they may have change her formula

Definitely have the Dr check for reflux. This happened with both of my boys and they both had reflux.

DON’T ADD EXTRA FORMULA. It is dangerous. Reflux does that and the baby may need a medicine to help with that.

4 Likes

My daughter did alot too
Doctor switched formula until we found one that she’d keep down.

My son had a milk allergy. He ended up on Nutramigen Talk to the Pediatrician before switching. It may help to have a video of an episode of the spitting up.

1 Like

Milk allergy or acid reflux

10 week old shouldn’t be having water

3 Likes

We switched to nutramigen due to reflux. Our first had it since day one and could never take breast milk. We had a riser in the crib and the bassinet, along with the boppy in the bassinet and he would sleep in our momma rue 90% of the time. I know that’s not recommend but it’s what we did to survive, the doctor was aware and we were right next to him the entire time.

Babies don’t drink water! Follow the directions exactly for mixing formula! And for Gods sake find the library and check out some parenting books!

6 Likes

Try different formula I had to change for my one son

My grandson did that same thing…he had bad reflux…doctor put him on zantac

Had the same problem with my son. We switched the formula to Enfamil AR it’s thicker rice based formula. Never had a problem again. For the rash we used Vaseline and switched to Aveno soap/lotion.

Babies should never been given water. It can kill babies and chicken under 3 should be given Lk 1 oz water in 24 hours.

3 Likes

May need to see the doctor for some reflux meds and a little bit of baby oatmeal in her bottles. Also, when you’re feeding her…prop her up more instead of laying her down.
I also heard that a chiropractor can help with reflux issues in babies.

1 Like

Burp after every 2 oz. Mix formula exactly as directed. While feeding hold baby so baby is sitting up, head above heart, and let gravity work for her. It always looks like a lot more liquid when a baby spits up than it actually is (take an ounce of water and pour it on a counter; it looks like a lot more than what it actually is). Keep neck folds clean and dry, wipe with soft, warm wash cloth and put a little corn starch after dry.

1 Like

She probably has reflux. But do you mean you are giving her straight water and she is spitting that up? She doesnt need straight water.

2 Likes

No water at 10 weeks! If breastfeeding, cut out dairy, maybe? If on formula, sounds like either she needs to be on a soy or sensitive formula. Also try more feeds with smaller amounts of formula (2 ounces instead of 4 for example) if that doesn’t work after a few weeks, it’s might be reflux. But you should be consulting a doctor. And her weight should be checked regularly to ensure she’s gaining.

Take her to the doctor. They’ll be able to tell the best options and please don’t give water, that’s very unsafe

1 Like

Use ready to feed formula, it is more creamy! You aren’t supposed to add extra formula because it’s too hard on their kidneys. The baby probably has reflux , see The pediatrician. Hold baby in a semi upright position for 15-30 mins after feeding. My daughter went thru this. If u have questions you can add me and send me a messagw

4 Likes

My Daughter doesn’t drink straight water but yet sometimes spits up only water. Maybe that’s what she means…?

i used this with my daughter she would spit up alot after feedings.and its the same thing as enfamil ar just cheaper

You’re suppose to mix the formula like it says on the can. 1 scoop for every 2 ounces of water. Adding extra formula can make them sick if it’s not measured right.

5 Likes

Change the bottle and make sure it’s a slow flow. We loved dr brown bottles

1 Like

1.) Is the baby projectile vomiting? (Does it shoot out or does it just come up after she eats?) if it’s projectile call your doctor! It could be pyloric stinosis 2.) Do not add more formula! It’s not going to thicken the formula it’s just going to screw up your small babies nutrition. There’s a reason why the package tells you to fallow the directions carefully! Don’t ever add or skip on formula unless a doctor has instructed you too especially with a baby so small! 2.) Call and take the baby to the pediatrician and voice your concerns! If your worried enough to ask others it warrants a call to the doc! Others views and tips are not a replacement for medical advice and with a baby so little I would take um in to the doc. 3.) Never give a baby that little plain water! Babies can die from water intoxication! 4.) Is the baby a happy spitter? Meaning spitting up is not causing them discomfort? If it’s causing discomfort it could mean reflux/pyloric stinosis etc. if there Happy spitter it could just mean your not burping enough or your feeding too much. Some babies spit for no reason other then that there system is new and needs time to figure out how to work.

1. See a doctor
  2. Might be her valve in her throat didn’t develop fully. This happened to me.
  3. Switch formula. My son would only keep Gerber soy down.

I was always told no water till 6 months.

4 Likes

It could be the bottle and it could also be the formula. Make sure you ALWAYS mix the formula as directed and NEVER give a baby inder 6 months water

2 Likes

Please do not give your baby straight water at 10 weeks old (I’m assuming that’s what you’re doing by the way your post sounds). Also, giving extra formula because your baby is throwing up is counterintuitive and should never be done unless directed so by a pediatrician. It sounds like you need to be talking with your child’s pediatrician asap and asking questions about this and more to get educated before you make your baby extremely sick.

5 Likes

Follow the formula instructions. :woman_facepalming:t2:

3 Likes

My son spit up a lot and the chiropractor helped a ton!

Follow your formula directions, no straight water this young, and if she has rash from spitting up then clean her up after it happens. :grimacing:

3 Likes

Why are you giving a 10 week old water???

3 Likes

Why is a 10 week old drinking water?

3 Likes

ummm see your pediatrician and forget about advice on the internet

2 Likes

My oldest daughter I had to switch to soy formula she is Lactose intolerant but before you switch always talk to your doc first

2 Likes

Water is completely safe to give a baby. Doctors don’t want it to be the only thing you give them and clearly not a whole bottle at one feeding. I wasn’t producing enough milk during my period. So my pediatrician told me to give my little one a bottle of 1-2 oz of water. Just to make sure she is well hydrated. Now my daughter is 13 months and she loves water. We don’t even give her juice. Back in my moms day they would give her water in bottles all the time. It’s just doesn’t have the calories, added vitamins and nutrition that formula and breast milk have. So doctors want you to nurse or give formula to baby’s. If her baby is spitting up as much as she is stating then she is really needed the extra hydration in the water. Reflux is serious and baby’s lose so much water when they spit up like that. It can be dangerous. She is obviously too little to have pedialyte and Gatorade so the safest bet is water.

I’m hoping ur jus explaining this wrong and that ur not giving ur baby water cause that is extremely dangerous

My first thought was milk intolerance or allergy. I stil don’t understand why they make baby formular with soy in it. Soy is a GMO (genetically modified) product and not healthy for humans. I would do whatever is necessary to avoid soy.

Call your pediatrician ASAP. Babies can get quickly dehydrated. People have good intentions here, but your baby may have an undiagnosed condition or reaction to their advice.

2 Likes

You should always seek advice from your child’s pediatrician if you have any concerns.

1 Like

It’s called a pediatrician

3 Likes

Yes talk to the doctor first,you probably have to change the formula also try sitting the baby up more when giving the bottle…what kinda bottle are you using??? Might but causing her to gag making her spit up… also burp more often… after feeding have her sitting up in like a swing… For the neck keep a bib with the plastic back and just keep drying her neck since you know what’s gonna happen… This is all just my suggestion…Good luck… I know what your going through,cuz I’m a infant teacher and I have kids who do the same

My daughter used to do the and doctor said it was reflux or something seemingly her top of the stomach tube or whatever I can’t remember was not closing properly so he said not to worry too much because she will get stronger, I used to breastfeed her . I had to walk around with a nappy towel on my shoulder, because she would regurgitate her milk… she did get stronger but at three months I put her onto baby formula and found she was able to keep it down better, anyway I think you should get professional advice.

My baby was tested for pyloric stenosis for this. Also when babies have reflux is usually resolves within 6 months

Do not add extra formula to bottles ever and she shouldn’t have a rash if you’re getting her cleaned up soon as it happens and she shouldn’t be having any water yet either. Give her less to drink at a time and burp her after every few ounces and if that doesn’t help see the Dr.

3 Likes

Ask your pediatrician. But you may need to switch to a rice based formula like Enfamil AR or Similac Spit-Up

2 Likes

Jesus christ. There should be a course for having kids. The advice here is so bad

5 Likes

Allergic reaction…

1 Like

Don’t give your baby water! And do not put extra formula! Both of those things are literally dangerous. You need to take her to the doctor and tell them your concerns! But you need to stop what you are doing asap! Water can be ready to a baby that young and it really sounds like you don’t know what your doing and you haven’t consulted your pediatrician. You very much need too asap

7 Likes

Facebook is not a doctor, please see a doctor

1 Like

Call her pediatrician and talk to them or take her in to see them.

Thays how my baby was, had to switch to sit he’s now 8 months an hardly spits up or pukes unless he over eats

Y’all realize she said she changed water types, not that she gave the baby straight water? Like even I know they have the baby water and then like 3 different types of “adult” waters at Walmart. Like I figured out that water was water and what they brand as baby water is the same but more expensive as the regular purified water.

Google water intoxication.

1 Like

Also it’s not as dangerous as y’all think to add more formula. My doc and my sisters preemie doctor both said its OK to add some extra due to certain circumstances.

Please don’t give your baby water before 6 months.

2 Likes

Please don’t put extra formula in the bottles.

Please talk to her pediatrician and tell them exactly all of this…

2 Likes

Babies spit up a lot, but if it’s this much of a concern you should be consulting your pediatrician not asking the internet. Follow the directions on your formula. Don’t add extra water!

Talk to ped. Could be acid reflux, could be overfill, could be an allergy, who knows. Also, Idk if you are giving baby water but do not give water yet as they are waaaaay too young. And dont put in extra formula scoops in the same amount of water (dont put in 2 scoops if you’re only making 2 ounces etc) unless you talk to dr.

1 Like

Please take her to the pediatrician. This could be a number of medical conditions that your baby may have. This can lead to dehydration and that is very serious for your baby.

1 Like

You’re obviously not making the bottles according to how they should be made and the baby has reflux now. Go to the doctor

4 Likes

It’s not just the formula. See her doctor please.

Maybe talk to her doctor. It could be maybe eating too much, or too fast. Could be the kind of formula. Shes still so small and her body is learning…same as you. Your both learning about her little body. I used to so sensitive formula with boiled tap water and both kids were fine. My sister had to have a special formula for my nephew (she went through 4 different types before finding one that was good)…doctor can also make sure baby is still gaining weight…I’m sure it’s nothing but it’s always best to check with her doctor.
Good luck mama.

1 Like

I had to go thru 6 different formulas before we found the right one for my son. He had reflux really bad and was lactose intolerant. I also had to not just take the chill off but warm all his bottles to help him not projectile vomit and make him eat very slowly and take breaks during feeding. He also had to be upright while fed. Please see your pediatrician, they can help you immensely. And when the spitting up stops and everything is going smoothly with baby, you both will be happier.

Babies do that is called possiting xx

My daughter was doing this she had an intolerance and had to be put on pre ready similac (the purple one) alientieum *pretty sure I spelt it wrong lol I would talk to your doctor

Change her formula to Health Eze

You can try changing the bottles if you haven’t already! That’s what I had to do. I use dr Browns anti colic

1 Like

Could be acid reflux, but get the baby checked.

1 Like

It could be pyloric stenosis

1 Like

My son and grandkids did the same thing try Isomil soy based formula also check with Dr. could also have reflux

Don’t mess with the water/formula ratios. Switch to a gentle formula. If that doesn’t work try lactose free. Burp every 2 oz during feedings.

4 Likes

Make sure you aren’t adding any extra water to the formula as that can actually harm the baby.

You have a 10 week old baby…go to the doctor for christ sake!

11 Likes

Probably esophagitis. You can buy antacids for babies to help. Mine did that and the Dr. said to give a tsp of Mylanta before feeding.

Try Similac sensitive

Spit up is normal but that sounds like a lot. I would suggest going to the doctor. It sounds like reflux or maybe a milk allergy if she’s showing other signs too

Talk to doc, try different formula but do not mess w formula to water ratio, feed baby tilted up (not flat) and increase burping

1 Like

take bub to the doctor!!!

My son had pyloric stenosis. It is where the muscle between the stomach and the intestines grows too much to allow anything through. It hits between 2 and 3 months. We tried the same thing and then tried pediasure. After he threw that up we took him to the er

1 Like

Change bottles to slow drip, dont over feed, and burp

A 10 week old drinking water?? Or do you mean she spit up formula

4 Likes

She may need formula for sensitive tummys. Maybe a different bottle too.

Babies can’t have water until 6mos and even then only small amounts (water poisoning is very real in babies).
Do not mess with the water to formula ratio ever.
Make sure you’re using slow flow nipples and burping often.
Always hold baby for feedings and make sure they’re held in a semi upright position.
Don’t skip boiling the water for powdered formula, you boil and mix then cool. Boiling the water is to kill any bacteria in the powdered formula because the powdered can not be sterilized.
Follow all directions and talk to your babies Dr.
Good luck