My 11 year old came out as bi-sexual: Advice?

That gacha game looks like it’s for adults as it talks about sexually explicit and adult things. So just a heads up on that, you should be in control of if they are watching on t.v and YouTube and the games they play

3 Likes

My daughter did the same thing, and it was caused by the Gatcha videos. I put a parental app on her phone and blocked all of that stuff. I also do not mind what her sexual orientation is. But the videos were also making her depressed and she started to isolate. Life has been better without Gatcha

4 Likes

I just wouldnt make it a big deal…and just make sure she knows youre there for her

2 Likes

I was in my mid-teens when I figured out 100% I was bi. You are what you are, and age doesn’t really come into it; it’s who she is, so don’t be negative and just accept it. But contrary to what a lot of people try to say, what she watches/reads/sees does not influence her choice at all; she could watch nothing but pure evangelical shows 24/7 but she’d still be bi at the end of the day.

9 Likes

I knew before I was 11 I was bisexual. For me I always looked at men and women exactly the same way so it was never a big epiphany it was just normal. Just be there for her and let her guide you on how she’s feeling. Sounds like you’re doing good though :slight_smile: x

I knew from an early start where my interests were and my parents tried to label me as confused or told me just bc I had those feelings didn’t mean I had to act in them which is personally the worst thing you can say to a child coming out to you. Be supportive for one. For two, watching TV or whatever with people of different sexual orientations isn’t gonna make her suddenly become something other than straight, not really how that works. Zhe she prolly was looking for something to explain feelings she doesn’t fully understand and how to come out about it and you’ve kinda fucked that up for her. Treat her like a normal human

5 Likes

Honestly just tell her theres no label anymore you like who you like you love who you love someone can be straight then fall inlove with the same sex years down the line things change and so do people , xx

1 Like

Just let her be her. She’ll figure out who she is .

2 Likes

You are not alone. My daughter (14) has been conflicted about the same issue. I tell her all the time it doesn’t matter who she chooses to be with color or gender as long as she is happy. I support her 100% no matter who she chooses to be with.

1 Like

I knew when I was 6… didn’t come out till I was 16. You just know

3 Likes

My daughter came out as bisexual when she was 11 (now 12). My husband and I simply explained that love is love, as long as she’s happy and treated right. Then we explained that if a guy mistreats her, daddy will beat them up. If it’s a girl, mommy handles it 🤷🏻‍♀:joy: We put a lot of humor into showing her our acceptance and it made her SOOOO comfortable in her own skin. Show you are on her side and she’ll show you her full true self. It’s wonderful :sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

Ugh my 11 year old daughter came to me and her dad the other day and told us she was pan…we explained to her that no matter who she chooses to love we will always love her but we also feel that right now she is too young to be labeling herself as anything we explained to her that she has lots of time to really decide who she wants to be as a person and who she wants to love weather that be a bit or a girl right now the only thing we want her to focus on is being a nice person I feel like kids these days have far to much pressure to stick a label on themselves right now whiteout having that chance to grow as a person…the next day she said she thought about it and she thinks she straight…again we told there was no need to label herself just take this time to grow and find out who she wants to be :heart:

2 Likes

You are never to young to tell your parents that’s You fill the the way you do. God gave you to them as a gift to love unconditionally.

1 Like

This is the age its gonna happen. Puberty is sexuality. I was 11 too.
Went tgrough a phase of it being my defining feature as well…really it was pride in knowing who I was and went away on its own.

1 Like

My sister knew in middle school! And my 14 year old cousin just came out as bisexual.

Love is simply love :heart:

I told my daughter she just is who she is. But not to put herself in any category at such a young age. Who you are today may not be who you are when you get older. Kids these days are trying to be too grown too fast

7 Likes

I fully agree with Kayla- kids are under immense pressure to attach labels to themselves. My 12 yr old has struggled with wanting to label herself but than changes her mind. I try to remind her that labels don’t define who you are nor do they carry any weight of your worth. Who you like and what you identify yourself as doesn’t change your heart anymore than skin hair or eye color… and your heart is what matters.

3 Likes

It’s a lot more normalized nowadays and more publicly spoken about. She very well could be out she may also just be confused. Just support her and let her know that whomever she may fall in love with, male or female, that you’ll always be there for her!

When we potty trained our children, they were focused on diapers, genitals, potties, pee/poop. Your daughter is entering a phase where she is becoming aware of herself as a human and a human with sexual desires (no matter how icky that is to us parents). She’s going to be hyperfocused on labels and definitions because she wants to proclaim to the world who she is so she can feel understood. Just support her and guide her.

2 Likes

I knew at an extremely young age, and had kissed/touched with my first girls by that age. I’d never been taught anything about anything…at all. My friend and I just knew, it felt “good”.
I remained closeted until I was around 14-15 when I asked a relative “what would you think if I were gay?”. I had a crush on a girl at school, and had hoped to ask her out. The relative threatened to send me away. So I only dated boys after that…and kept anything and everything secret about my life from them as well from that point on.
Now I’m out as pansexual, and I don’t give a flying Frick what anyone thinks.
Don’t like it…get out.
Honestly though. Just be as supportive as you can. Tell her you’ll always love her no matter what. Let her know it’s completely normal to feel like this, and teach what she needs to know as it comes up.
My family members reaction caused me to go out and give it up to the first boy I came across, because I just hated myself and wanted to feel “normal”. I’ll forever regret that. Also, when they found out what happened with that boy…they did in fact, send me away :joy::sob:
Honestly, I wish you all the best. Just honestly all you can do is support her. Let her knows she’s okay. She’s probably so conflicted inside…

1 Like

It’s almost like it’s the new trend…

7 Likes

Omg! My daughter watches gacha life. I think it’s completely stupid but I didn’t realize it defined sexuality. I thought it was just a bunch of cartoon characters that sang songs.

THANK GOODNESS SHE CAN TALK TO YOU! It’s normal!!! So many parents become their children’s first bullies. Listen to her and allow her to make her own decisions. It doesn’t matter what is in between someone’s legs!! Kids at 11 have hormones! Why is gender so important?!?! Good grief, allow people to be attracted to persons and not gender. :heart:

3 Likes

Considering girls can hit puberty as early as 9 it’s not that weird she already knows. Definitely be very glad she was able to come to you with that and trust you

My daughter said the same thing I simply said it’s okay if that’s how she feels I told her not to fully put her self in a category just yet to wait until she’s a little older when she knows for sure. Just explain that when your growing your hormones rage and no matter whom she chooses to like it’s fine I fully support my daughter and she knows this I just think but can’t say it just yet to her that you don’t really know until you experience sexually that’s a different talk for a different age. Just be supportive

I’m bi sexual and I figured that out at age 12. My daughter told me and her dad she is bi sexual. She will be 13 in May. We told her we love her no matter what. As long as she knows she has your support that is the most important thing.

Thank her gor sharing her feelings with you. That indicates thst she has a great deal of trust in you if she shares her intimate thoughts with you.

1 Like

She may know she may not. Around that age I told my mom I liked girls. I thought I did. But I don’t. I was just confused and wanted attention. It could go either way. There is a lot of pressure to define sexuality these days. Sounds like that Gatcha isn’t helping. I would take her away from it. Kids don’t need to be focusing on sexuality at 11. Just be supportive tell her you love her no matter what but not to worry about a label until she’s older and ready to date and explore.

Usually when someone comes out that early in life they arent thinking about sex at all. It’s about who they like. Girls know its usually normal to like boys but when they find out they like girls its exciting for them. Dont read too much into it. Shes just excited and wanted to tell you.

18 Likes

Please keep the comments helpful and free of hate. This is a real person seeking advice from the community!

11 Likes

It’s honestly better to explain things to them younger rather than leave them in the dark. My mom was always really open with me and it helped me a lot throughout life and experiences. Your daughter isn’t thinking about sexual stuff just her identity/preferences! Just be glad she’s comfortable enough to even come out to you…

11 Likes

My son told me when he was 10 that he was bi. We were playing uno with his sister and idek how it came up but we just continued on with our game. A bit later he asked if i heard him. Answered yes. :woman_shrugging:t3: we have alot of LGBT family and friends so i see no reason to act any differently. For us its an “ok, and?” Moment.

11 Likes

Keep the communication line open and let her tell you how she feels without maybe you telling her how you feel and she may end up either figuring it out for herself or going the other way but it’s her decision who she loves always remember that and love your children regardless

2 Likes

I knew I was bisexual in the second grade and that never changed. It’s not a big deal

6 Likes

If she’s old enough to know she’s straight, she’s old enough to know she’s bisexual

25 Likes

Suggest getting her into a church group with other kids her age. I know it’s stressful

21 Likes

Keep communication open. Never discourage them about how they feel. Tell them you love them no matter what

4 Likes

I knew when I was 11 I was bisexual

6 Likes

I knew I was interested in girls when I was in kindergarten. :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

No big deal!My 14 year old is and our home has always known because she just gives Vanna White way more compliments than anyone else :rofl: Just offer love and support :heart:

38 Likes

As that 11 year old girl who knew she liked both. Let her do her. If its a phase itll pass. If not, let her like who she wants. Itll be more damaging to dismiss her knowledge about herself.

5 Likes

My son is almost 10 and came home today to tell me two girls in his class are dating and one of them had a crush on one of his boy friends recently. He was so happy to share that he was happy that they know who they love and dont care what other people think. Because we are all just people. We have always been very open in our household about love being just that love and not putting labels on things as it doesnt matter who you love as long as you are happy and everyone treats each other with respect. So as a parent i guess that shows how i would handle it if my son came home to tell me it was him that had a boyfriend. All the best mama, shes your baby no matter how she chooses to live her life. As long as she knows that and you stay true to that. Nothing else will matter.

8 Likes

I knew what I was by 8. Pan sexual in a cis marriage of 20 years. Pretty sure she knows more than you think, but most of all she is the only one that been in her body and in her brain for 11 years.

5 Likes

I knew I liked both sexes around the time children typically start developing crushes. There’s nothing wrong with it. Try to give her a better understanding of the meaning to the words she is using.

Also GACHA games are NOT appropriate for kids.

3 Likes

I came out at 11 and I’ll be 31 in 2.5 weeks. Although now I’m pansexual =)

3 Likes

I thought I liked girls starting when I was 7. It was just a faze. I do check women out but not in any inappropriate way. I think “Oh she’s pretty.” And “I like how she does her makeup.” That’s it.

1 Like

Literally most teenagers these days say they are, my daughters friends entire circle of friends claim to be. I don’t believe they all are,some yes but not all. There’s def some indoctrination going on in media and the school system for so many of them to be claiming it, it’s starting in primary school earlier and earlier

9 Likes

I’d ask if she likes girls or like likes them lol

I’m pansexual and 11 yo is when I came out. So here’s my input. At that age, some are thinking about sex and some aren’t. For me, it depended on the crush. It happens. I also hit puberty at 9, so it depends on the kid. My opinion is that I’d rather my kids be educated about safe sex than sheltered because everyone is ready at a different time.

6 Likes

Oh god… My 12 year old has Gacha life… Idk what the heck it is

11 is old enough to know especially now in days with how kids grow up so much quicker. I would definitely believe she could know at a 11. Don’t put so much thought into it. And love her the same way, just except her and if she feels different down the line she feels different down the line. Telling her she’s to young to know might give her the idea that you want her to hold out and rethink it like your not okay with it or something :blush: just love her and she will figure it out mama just be happy she feels so comfortable with you to have came to you told you right away like that. That’s amazing

3 Likes

It’s great that she’s open and feels comfortable telling you. Kudos momma for being a mom she knows she can come tell you things. Some kids don’t have that. Just support her and keep communication open. Love is love no matter what. Her loving herself and being strong in who she knows she is is important. She’s not too young to know what she’s into and her sexuality. Just be supportive.

9 Likes

I was 12 when I learned I was bisexual.

3 Likes

My nine year old has known for a few years now that she’s bisexual and identifies with different pronouns. Just be supportive. Kids are more capable of things than parents realize

5 Likes

Just accept her as she is in any part of her life. If she says shes bi, shes bi.

1 Like

There’s really not an issue. You have to see it that way. If she is she is, if she isn’t she will figure it out. I will say that shows will not make you think your bi. She’s probably watching them because she relates. Let her be who she is.

Just tell her she can be whatever she wants to be and you’ll love and support her no matter who she loves and regardless of labels.

I was 12. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Be a decent person and let her be who she is…

My 10 year old child just came out as a transgender and she is happy… she wasn’t comfortable in her skin before and anyone could see that… I may of birthed a baby boy but today I am raising a little girl :heart:

13 Likes

I was 11 when I came out. Just be supportive

1 Like

Here’s what you need to do to get that child on the right path… sit them down at the kitchen table with a treat or a dessert and look that child in the eyes and tell them “I love you no matter what” and “you tell me what you need from me and how I can help” and give them a hug and continue to be there. :heart::orange_heart::yellow_heart::green_heart::blue_heart::purple_heart::black_heart::white_heart::brown_heart:

9 Likes

My daughter came out at 13 but knew way before. She’s a lesbian. In an effort to seem “normal” to family she tried to have little boyfriends which ended in trauma both mentally and physically. I would tell her that no matter what you love her and respect her choice and leave it be. We raise our kids to be their best selves not what we want them to be.

Let them decide if u love them u will stand by them :heart:

1 Like

Not uncommon at her age. Work with her, not agaist

4 Likes

Be a great parent and educate your daughter, so that they are well prepared for the plethora of situations, emotions and scenarios that she will undoubtedly face.

1 Like

I knew when I was in 6th grade tbh, when you know you know. At 1st I thought I was bi than as high school came I was like oh no I’m 100% lesbian.

1 Like

Just here to say you’re a good mama :heart: All she needs from you is love and support and open communication.
She will learn and develop and love who she loves. I get what you’re trying to say about identifying people and it sounds like all you can do is encourage and direct. She’s 11. She’ll figure it out :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

First thing is realize she is your child and you have the duty to love her unconditionally. Especially, if she is not hurting anyone. She told you something that made her happy, comfortable and excited about her life. Most children have crushes at that age. Would you have had a problem had she said she had a crush on a boy? From your question alone, we can clearly see you’re more concerned she may be attracted to girls over the fact that she has the feelings of attraction at all.

My suggestion is to dig deep inside yourself, learn to have the same tolerance and unconditional love your child has for you. I guarantee she would never question you had the tables been turned. Do everything you can not to lead your child into depression and suicide by making her feel “different”, “wrong” and “confused”. She will need you to protect her from the ugly bigoted world who will do that to her already. If she doesn’t have you to turn to, who will she turn to instead?

Here’s an easy answer on what you can do!

Look at her, hug her, smile at her, buy her ice cream and have girl talk about how she feels! Have those mommy and daughter giggles about her little crush like any other normal time if it had been a boy.

4 Likes

Limit what your child watches… I know my 8-year-old does not watch whatever on youtube… There is a lot of crap on there… Garbage for the mind.

5 Likes

That was about he time I told my mom I was bi. My mom smacked me and called me disgusting . Their religion didn’t allow for it …

2 Likes

Baby you she was raised around that

1 Like

They’re not to young. You probably wouldnt blink twice if they said they had a crush on a boy. It’s not necessarily sexually motivated. Embrace her now instead of telling her there’s no point in labelling because people are people. labels are extremely powerful and important. Your heart is in the right place but coming at this with a perspective that labels are separative can do more harm than you think. We all want unity but identity is extremely important, especially to someone in the LGBT community who may be feeling lost and isolated or misunderstood, even with the best support. and there is pride in identity, especially while homophobia still runs rampant. My mother also tried to explain to me that people are people and that’s not important to use labels, etc, and while she meant well, it left me feeling as if she was finding any possible way to downplay that I wasn’t straight. My mother is extremely supportive and loving and accepting but she was unfamiliar and uncomfortable with this subject and probably had a little internalized homophobia, like she was ok with LBGT people but didnt think it would happen to “her children” She often told me “well I just dont think it matters to you.” whenever I would speak out about what I identified because then she didn’t have to think about it as me queer.

Sexuality is fluid, and I would try to steer away from blaming this on what she watches. Representation is important, even if it leads her to questioning. While she may be curious and experiment with her orientation, the only thing she watched may have done is introduce her to the idea that/and feelings she may have been having were normal. If she chooses later in life to identify as straight or gay, it doesn’t mean that being exposed to non-heteronormative relationships were the reason she was “confused” young or anything like that.

If you want my personal opinion as someone who went through this, I would just tell her she can like who and identify as whatever she wants, and that you may not understand it but you respect it, and people’s identities are valid. If you’re really concerned with the appropriate-ness of what she’s doing/thinking/watching, maybe seek out a LBGT friendly therapist to make sure shes not acting age inappropriate with other children but her age and orientation have no correlation, this is something you should be concerned about whether she is straight or bisexual and not just /because/ she is bisexual. You want the best for your daughter and you’re doing a great job. Just try to ask yourself what makes you so uncomfortable with her labelling herself. Don’t immediately jump to the conclusion she is being age inappropriate, again would you have blinked twice if she said she had a crush on a boy? probably not, as that’s totally normal and age appropriate. There is no age limit on identity for one, and it’s perfectly ok if it changes while we discover ourselves. If you want to speak more about this with someone who was in your child’s shoes I am more than happy to talk to you. She trusted you so make sure even if you dont understand it, you validate those feelings! you have plenty of time to mull it over and work through a way to deal with it, but you only have limited opportunity to show her support before she decides she may not be able to trust coming to you in the future. You don’t need to understand it to respect it! And you guys can work together to understand it together. good luck mama <3

7 Likes

I always knew I was (by society’s standards then) “different”. I always liked girls and boys, and I’ve known and felt that way since I can remember. Just be open with her, listen when she needs to talk, don’t criticize her, and accept that she’s growing into her own self. She just needs to know she’s loved and supported by the people that mean the most to her.

1 Like

I was in kindergarten when i developed my first girl crush, and my nana to this day will tell me she knew i liked girls from a very you g age, i wasnt influenced by any show or person, its just who we are. And i hope that you as a mother can understand and respect that because mine didnt and im still im counseling to this day over some stuff she said to me when i came out because she didnt understand, just love her.

3 Likes

Kids that age see the world in black and white. Categorizing things is probably her way of clarifying and understanding how the world works. Try not to worry…she’s open with you and trusts you enough to tell you things, that is the most important thing.

1 Like

Don’t try to over analyze. Just support her. If it’s just a phase then it is. And if it’s not? Then either way she had your support and that will mean more than you can ever know.

2 Likes

I knew when I was even younger like 6 that I was a lesbian just couldn’t come out cause I didn’t have the support until I was moved out :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Just be accepting and tell her she can love whoever she chooses. She is at the age where kids are learning who they are and who they like. Don’t make a big deal about it, just be supportive and let her know you are there for her no matter what or who she loves.

Um… that is around the age you start figuring out who you are including sexuality.

1 Like

I told my 10 year old that shes whatever she is, it makes no difference but she’ll understand more when shes older. Basically dont make an issue of it and be supportive. Mines not mentioned it since but shes on the same games etc

I knew I was bisexual (well I didn’t know the term until high school) because I had my first crush on a girl at age 9, and had my first girlfriend in 6th grade. I for sure have heard of Gacha life, it’s like a role playing game and it’s pretty innocent really. My nieces play it and I’ve created characters with them.
My suggestion is support, don’t question, don’t downplay it. If she came to you saying she had a crush what would be your reaction? Channel that. It’s no different. :heart:
If you want some questions to kinda get a better feel? Maybe say “what makes you have a crush on this person?” Whenever she tells you a crush.

2 Likes

Why make a big deal about it. Just say “that’s nice” and have a grilled cheese.

3 Likes

You don’t choose your sexuality and if you keep phrasing it that way, you are being homophobic and will alienate your kid.

3 Likes

Tell her it’s ok if she is … love you either way and support her
As a parent we are our kids biggest supporter and fan
She probably feeling self conscious about it and that’s where you come in and let her know no matter who what where when and why you will always love her and that will never change

It’s pretty normal at that age to start to have those realizations.

Give her the respect of understanding that she knows her mind & body than anyone else, even you. If she ever changes her mind, so be it.

We all define people in categories, whether we pretend we don’t or not. It’s how the human brain works & for the most part it’s a pretty efficient system.

I get it. It’s uncomfortable as a parent when your kids reach that part of their lives. But nothing you can say in telling her to slow down in defining herself is going to make a difference in anything other than how comfortable she feels coming to you with her thoughts & experiences. That’s it. That is all you are going to be able to affect her, the way she thinks of you.

1 Like

Why are children too young to identify their sexuality unless their straight? Cuz I’ve heard plenty of grown adults having no problem asking a kindergartner if they have a bf or a gf. I’m sure by 11 she knows her own attraction.

8 Likes

My daughter came out to me when she was 11 as well. I’m not sure what kind of suggestions you’re looking for, but mine would be to hug her tight and tell her it doesn’t matter if she likes boys or girls as long as they are good to her and that you love her no matter what. This is who she is, momma.

6 Likes

That’s the right age for puberty to start and sexuality to blossom, but I don’t think that’s what is happening right now. At any age kids can develop feelings for others and have crushes. It’s not about sexual orientation during those years. It’s all about feelings. I would say it is more biromantic and as she gets older it would blossom to bisexuality. Either way all you need to do is support her and be there for her.

2 Likes

My daughter told me at 10 she thinks she likes girls. An she was under the impression she could only like boys or girls an not both I’m ddnt even bat an eyelid told her it’s okay to like boys an girls an it’s ok to be just the way you are. I have absolutely no problem with her being bi or lesbian as long as she’s happy. If I don’t support her decision an accept the way she is this early in life then how is she gonna accept who she is later in life. I love my daughter an being bi don’t change a thing to me an surely don’t define my love for her

1 Like

I would just say “ok”. And not make it I to a big deal/discussion unless you sense she is looking to discuss it deeper with you. Normalize it in your home so she feels comfortable

1 Like

She knows at this age what she prefers.

I teach my kids that love is love, but leave out those type of labels. These terms are based on someone’s “sexual” preference and in my opinion kids shouldn’t have any knowledge or association with sex. I know they will learn this stuff and know alot more than they lead on, but as a parent I’m going to make sure I’m allowing them to explore ideas and feelings without having them becoming over sexualized. At an age such as 11 they are getting close to puberty and hormones start having them question things and start having feeling they dont quite understand.

My daughter told me she was bisexual when she was 12. It wasn’t so much “coming out.” Just in normal conversation, she one day told me that she liked a girl in her class. She’s been around LGBTQ her whole life (family and friends) as have I. All I said to her was that I love and support her no matter what. She said “I already know that.” We just continued talking and didn’t skip a beat.

4 Likes

I was 8 when I found out I liked girls. I’m 18 almost 19 and I’m still bi. The best thing is to be supportive

4 Likes

My daughter is still trying to figure stuff out. I tell her don’t be to quick to label yourself. Just enjoy life and explore things(safely) there’s plenty of time for labels later and when you know something feels right then you know. Some kids just who they are at a young age some don’t. Daughter thought she was demi now she’s not sure that’s why I told her what I told her. Honestly I hate labels. Cause then everyone starts stereotyping and it becomes a miss.

1 Like

My son came out, he was 12, and told me the same thing. I sat him right down and said… it doesn’t matter. He was like really? “Some parents would freak out” I said, with all the wisdom of Solomon “some parents are fucking assholes” I reiterated, using dad language… “I don’t give a flying fuck who’s pool you decide to swim in, just make sure you’re wearing your swim suit and be a good person”. For added measure and adhering to my Irish roots I said “Anyone give you shit, you tell me and I’ll fucking make them regret it”. That’s how you handle that shit :wink:

7 Likes

Shes old enough to know she likes boy and you wouldn’t see a problem right? Whats different on her saying she likes girl too?
The only thing you can do is support her decision, she trust you enough to tell you how she feels.
Maybe when she grows up she’ll feel different about this or not.
But thats your daughter, and you have to love her just for who she is.
Its not youtube, its not the internet, nothing is influencing her decision.
I had a lot of gay, lesbian friends and they told me they always felt different, they knew since young age what they liked…
Don’t criticize her, cause you could ruin her…

6 Likes

oh please so damn stupid that kid aint old enough to know what she is for god sakes.

7 Likes

I knew I was into girls and boys when I was 6 and had a crush on the girl in the year above me. Unless she explicitly comes out, act like it’s no big deal. If she tells you, support her

1 Like