My 13-month-old is biting at daycare: Advice?

My 13-month-old is biting—kids at daycare, mommy, daddy’s face REALLY HARD and leaving marks. I have tried tapping his lips saying no biting, I’ve tried the stern NO! and he laughs… I have tried redirecting to teethers or food, which doesn’t work. I have tried showing him how to do fishy kisses, still bites. At first, I thought it was just him trying to give kisses, but he bites arms and legs too. He got teeth very early (4 @ four months), and is teething again getting molars. I’m hopeful that he will grow out of it but asking advice from the mammas out there that have had to deal with this.

15 Likes

Pediatrician told me to bite them back til they get the point it hurts

14 Likes

My daughter did it to very viciously biting the kids i took her arm pressed her teeth on her arm to show her how it felt and she never bit again

2 Likes

Bite them back or start spanking along with timeout time.

9 Likes

Following. My 2 year old bites but only bites me :upside_down_face: I don’t believe in biting back or smacking the mouth though as I feel that’s abuse! But any OTHER advice would be helpful!!

12 Likes

I know it sounds mean but bite him back not to hard but enough to show it hurts… you may have to do it a couple times but he / she will learn

6 Likes

Bite back. Just hard enough where they wince and they know it hurts.

6 Likes

Also you could go and put his arm or fingers by his mouth for him to bite that, if that doesn’t work bite him gently, each time do a little harder

Spank his thigh. And before any of you start trippin. I don’t mean HIT, I mean pop.

10 Likes

Its like hair pulling. You have to do it back, with in reason.

8 Likes

Omg this is normal?! My daughters 6months n is teething bad n BITES EVERYTHING , i laughed reading this bcuz i was scared something was wromg with my kid lol

I have worked with hundreds of kids and the one thing that I have seen that works the best is when one kid bites back or a parent bite them back.
I have seen many different parents try different methods and just ask me how to stop it.

13 Likes

Bite back. Just enough to show it hurts

6 Likes

My daughter bite. Had to bite her back ! She quit right away. Just hard enough to show her how it hurt…

9 Likes

Bite him back… made my son stop his dr said to do it. I’ve seen kids suspended from daycare over it cause parents dont try to stop it.

7 Likes

Bite him back one good time n he will never do it again

5 Likes

Bite back

Spank and go in time out

Bite on a bar of soap

Put their own fingers in their mouth make them bite themselves

Pop them on the mouth just enough to get their attention

14 Likes

I worked at a daycare with this problem, our biter stopped biting once another kid had enough and bit her back

3 Likes

Bite him not breaking skin but enough to hurt a little to show him that it hurts.

4 Likes

Biting is due to lack of communication skills. I used to work at a daycare and this is more common than you would think. It’s frustration that adds up because they can’t communicate what they want to say, get upset and they act out this way. My son only ever bit I think once but I think he wasn’t much of a biter because we worked really hard on communication skills from the time he was a really little baby with sign language. He had more ways to express himself so it decreased that. As for the bite him back idk I’ve never had to take it that far. But I definitely recommend working on sign language and language skills.

8 Likes

Bite back. Worked like a charm with all three of mine.

4 Likes

They all go through a biting phase! It’s normal. Not sure if my kids actually bit others, but I do know that they got bitten and survived just fine!

If you feed them honey they do that! If you give them lemons or lime they will bit too, but it’s temporary they will get over it my daughter used to bit now she is 15 months she doesn’t do it anymore

Talk to his daycare teachers and ask what they suggest? They’re educated in children and the behaviour… they also spend time with your child personally.

I’m sure I’ll get roasted on this but whatever… when I was little I bit too. My grandmother told my mom to bite me back, to which my mom had a fit over. Until the day I fucked up and bit my grandmother who promptly bit me back. I stopped bitting :woman_shrugging:

I have four… all since a young age have been taught sign language. The girls I’ve never had a problem with biting… they did it once and that was the end of it… the boys however no matter what would not stop until I Bit them back… you don’t do it hard… and you don’t leave marks… once they were bit back they never did it again.

3 Likes

Four kids and all of them stopped biting without me having to resort to biting them back. They are biting for a reason. Figure out the reason and solve the problem from there. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

My son tried this and I bit him back and said see this is why we don’t bite it hurts and it isn’t funny.

5 Likes

I bit my daughter back, not super hard just enough to shock her, she never did it again.

2 Likes

Yeah my daughter was a biter and I bit her back one time and she never did it again LOL

4 Likes

But I didnt bite her hard ,

Please don’t bite back :disappointed_relieved:

7 Likes

I had to use hot :hot_face: sauce! 2 drops every time he bit me

4 Likes

Hes 13 months old, please do not spank him🤦‍♀️

12 Likes

I agree with Jessi Lynn worked for me

put pepper on his tongue

3 Likes

Ask his doctor. Mine told me to bite back. Or lemon juice. I did lemon juice

Have him bite a bar of soap

4 Likes

I put a couple drops of lemon juice in their mouths and they stopped biting

bite him back…did it to mine…havent had biting issues since

1 Like

If they want to bite flesh you could try overcooked steak strips.might be kind of the same texture and resistance.add a little salt

3 Likes

Please do not use hot sauce or pepper on your BABIES tongue. He is a baby still. That would be the most idiotic thing you could do!

2 Likes

Biting back, is the only thing that worked for me. I never bit hard, barely even put pressure on my teeth but it scared her enough to work.

3 Likes

I put my kids own hand is his mouth when he was trying to get me …he bit himself and never did it again

1 Like

My mother always told me that I used to bite, very hard…until one day she bit me back, I cried and I never did it again. That was also 1983ish and most people are too judgmental nowadays

7 Likes

My daughter tried to bite me after getting bitten all the time at daycare, I just yelled no and startled her so she gave that up quick.

All i can say is- this too shall pass… I have 5 children and surprisingly none of them were biters… a few were/are rather aggressive so definitely not saints but… no biters… this stage will end… :slight_smile:

I think you should consult the pediatrician!

You definitely don’t bite back. Your showing your child it’s ok to bite because your doing it. Find out the reason your child is biting. With your child being young. You need to keep an eye on what your child is doing at the time. It seems to be a way your child is communicating frustration.

1 Like

The only thing that worked for my son is smacking his mouth. Anytime we bit him back to show that it hurts he just laughed.

I’d bite back it worked for both my boys

I have stopped both of mine with biting them back.

1 Like

Bite back, or get him to bite himself, should work

2 Likes

Well I was going to say bite back, but it’s been covered. It worked with my youngest

1 Like

I have 6 and only had this problem with my 1st, he’d bite the blood out of his siblings. He grabbed my ear, bite down very hard, so I finally did what pediatrician said “bite him back but do not break skin” he never did it again…

1 Like

I know biting them back sounds harsh but if done correctly it is not, won’t cause pain and won’t leave a mark. You just put enough pressure to feel the teeth without actually biting down. It was the only thing to work on one of my kids that was a biter and as you can see from comments it was only method that worked for a lot of parents. My sons pediatrician is who told me to do it that way. If u can move their hand in path and them bite themselves that usually helps too but they can end up actually hurting themselves that way too. Good luck momma…it is a phrase and you will find what will work for you.

3 Likes

Bite back, I did it once it broke her heart and she stopped

1 Like

My son bit at daycare for like two years straight he bit me once really hard. I bit him back and he never bit again. 🤷

1 Like

He is 13 months old and can barely communicate when he is feeling frustrated. He doesn’t know any better and resorting to spanking or biting is not going to solve anything but make him think it’s okay to do… not to mention will taint your relationship with your child. People are really saying hot sauce and lemon juice on a baby… I’m in awe.

Yep I bit back with both of mine. And I also flicked them in the lip. Both worked

How old is he??? I bit my children back… Obviously not very hard… But it got the point across and it stopped the biting right there and then.

Dont bite him back that just contradicts the whole biting isnt ok. My 3 year old still bites and id never dream of biting him back ever.

2 Likes

I used to bite when I was a kid… One day my mom bit me back. I never bit anyone again!

Bite back or when it’s done at home put vinegar in his mouth

Teething necklace. Binki cold teeters. Also teething gel

When u bite back it shows them it hurts

1 Like

I’m sorry my only suggestion is bite his butt back just don’t break the skin but let him know how it feels to someone else what he’s doing he knows better and he does it because he thinks it’s fun my daughter is now 18 years old she was 15 months and was kicked out of seven day care center I was almost out of a job I was at my Wit’s End and I bit her ass back as the doctor instructed never had another problem with any biting

Take his mouth and make him bite himself! Seriously! It works like no other! Every child i have babysat and all four of my kids i have done this with and it stops after the second time you do it! Biting them with your teeth does not do it!

1 Like

bite back same thing I did never happen again :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I was a biter. I remember getting into trouble for it but don’t remember the actual biting. So It could be really hard to stop this behavior if they don’t know they are doing it. Good luck!

2 Likes

He doesn’t realize it hurts. He just knows it gets a reaction. My son bit me when he was around the same age. I was doing dishes he bit the back of my leg. I bit him back not hard enough to leave marks or break the skin. Just hard enough so he knows it hurts and he never bit again. Sometimes showing them ot hurts is what it takes. You can’t just explain to a 1 yr old that biting hurts don’t do it.

1 Like

I used to flick my son in the corner of the mouth lol it worked

1 Like

Did he get bit at daycare by another child? That is where my daughter learned it from I bit her back (not hard) but to get the point across and that ended it!

We broke my son who just turned 2 from bitting. I flicked his teeth ( not hard at all) but he hates it. Now if he starts to bite I tell him you bite and mommy will flick. He stops instantly. It really only too 1 time for him to get it. But it’s mostly because of teething they bite. She just needs to learn to bite appropriate toys. And not people.

1 Like

Bite him back…my nephew was a biter, he bit my daughter so hard he drew blood. I ripped off his diaper an bit his naked ass. He never ever bit anyone ever again. I’m old school…

Bite them back or a flick on the mouth will work lol sounds mean but it works.

I’ve stopped all 3 of mine by biting them back! ~ Only thing that would work!!

pop him on the mouth

1 Like

When my kids got to the stage where they laughed when being told not to bite i just bit them back hard enough for them to realise it hurt, only took a couple time before they realised and stopped

My son was born with teeth nubs and has all his teeth by a year old. Crazy I know but he was a biter. He went as far as to bite the dog even…lol. We started biting back. Not hard, just enough to let him see that it hurt. It worked!!! He would start to bite us and just as he would put his mouth against us it was like a light went off. He would pull back.

1 Like

My daughter did the same thing at about 1.5yrs I finally bit her back after nothing else worked. I did it hard enough for her to notice but not to leave a mark and she never did it again.

1 Like

I’m not into the bite them back thing, but when he is about to bite, put his own arm in the way so he bites himself.

2 Likes

Bite back
It only Took my 2 yr old being bit one time, he hasnt even tried to.bite since

1 Like

With my son I moved his arm infront of him so he bit himself, he only did it two or three times and stopped, he needs to know it hurts

1 Like

Oh man my mom was pissed when a little kid bit me on the face when I was a baby and at day care. Hope you can figure it out soon.

1 Like

Dont bite him… seems wrong to tell him not to do something by doing the exact same thing… time outs and work on baby sign… its because hes frustrated and cant communicate

1 Like

Bruh all you mom’s are so soft. I’d pop him. Lol that doesn’t fly around this house.

4 Likes

Stop saying anything. One bite equals time out, if in public restrain him cross his arms under yours and tuck his feet in. Restrain him and don’t lose temper. It is key for a parent to use a roundhouse while helping a child understand the violent behavior is wrong. My youngest is like this. His brother never. I have worked with groups, personal teachers and coaches and learned a lot of tips. Feel free to DM me. If he keeps biting look into Early Intervention.

I bite back :woman_shrugging:t2: as hard as they bite me. My mom did the same to me, I do the same to my kids. My 1.5 yo doesn’t bite anymore

3 Likes

Bite back, to to where u hurt them like when he bite you, but enough too let him know it hurts… It worked with my daughter’s

2 Likes

Bite back and they won’t do it again , trust me it works!

2 Likes

Bite them back -not hard just to let them know it hurts-did it with both of my boys

My son stopped after being bit back.

Simple, stupid, seems weird and cruel but it works. They have simple minds and can’t really understand what your trying to explain

1 Like

In the fatty part of thim and pointer finger bite there just enough to show it hurts and he will stop

Bite him back, worked for my girls. They dont realise that what they are doing hurts. I’m not saying take a chunk or leave Mark’s.

1 Like

My mom always said bite back so they know it hurts. I never had a biter so idk really what I’d do. Hope you get some answers or help, maybe ask your pediatrician? Good luck!

Mine only did it once, I bit back…never did it again

Had a brief problem with my four year old spitting…put a tiny drop of soap on my finger and washed his mouth out because it was a dirty habit…took care of the issue.

I straddled my 2 year old with a pair of needles nose pliers and told him I’d rip his teeth out if he did it again. He was a perfect angle after that.

1 Like

Pop the open mouth harder, not hard enough to hurt but hard enough to get their attention and maybe even make then a little mad so they learn you mean business and they know it’s not a joke. This worked with any bitters on I’ve ever dealt with including my own.