My 15-year-old is pregnant: Advice?

Get good counseling quick

I was a teen mom and watched tlc baby story, there are also live births posted everywhere. She could benefit from a birthing class. Hospital used to offer them. See if there are people out there that have had different kinds of births and what their experiences are and talk over birth plan. I gave birth at hospital for all mine, one au natural and the others I was induced with pitocin and had an epidural that messed up my back. My oldest had a water birth at watershed birthing center all natural and it was beautiful. Communication is very important.

You can’t really. Birth is scary no matter the age. Just had my son at 35 and even though I went through it with my daughter already 3 years ago I was still very nervous. Just be there for her.

5 Likes

Honestly you can’t really prepare her because you don’t know exactly how everything is going to go and how painful it’s going to be or not. Have her get the pregnancy plus app it’ll show her how big the baby is and about how much it weighs at any given time and such maybe that will help her.

2 Likes

I would just suggest NOT watching “Call the Midwife” anytime before delivery. :grimacing:

3 Likes

Educate her on her body, pregnancy stages, labor and birth. Seek support groups for her age? There may even be some virtual options for that. Consider hiring a doula.

Go bring her to the hospital right now! And let her watch someone giving birth

5 Likes

Nothing can prepare a 15 year old for labour…I was shocked as an adult. But just keep talking to her and supporting her. Congratulations to her for keeping the baby

6 Likes

Just be there for her. Hold her hand and be as supportive as possible

2 Likes

I was scared every time u never know what will or could happen. She will do fine just support her that is what she needs most now along with counseling post partum is a thing and it is bad i teens

Tell her it’s gonna hurt like hell, she’ll be exhausted for the next 2 years, friends won’t stand by her, her social life will be zero, her money will go to diapers/formula and daycare. Good luck.

4 Likes

Ignorance was bliss in my situation. I didn’t want to know!

love her and support her my daughter is 20 she fell pregnant at 15 and had him at 16 it was the best thing that happened to her no negative words towards her I’m sure she is scared

3 Likes

I had my son at 15. He he is 22 now. The pregnancy and delivery will naturally prepare her. I never even held a baby and instically I knew how to care for my son alone as soon as I has him. Books provided me a lot of information. Share your own experiences with her and be completely honest.

3 Likes

Mine was 15 and got pregnant too. They have to deal with it like any woman does. You wanna play around you deal with the consequences. No way around it.

10 Likes

I was 15 when I got pregnant also! I truly believe nothing can prepare you for birth, not as a teenage mom or an adult mom. It’s just something that you have to experience.

3 Likes

I was 19 when I had my daughter and scared out of my mind. Comfort her, talk thoroughly through every single question she has, help her become responsible and show her things to do, and most importantly give a lot of love and hugs to her.

1 Like

Just tell her to remain relaxed and calm because if she stays in “fight or flight” it will only prolong the birthing process because her body will think she is not in a safe place to have the baby and also recommend water birth it’s much easier when your weight is suspended in the water to relax

I had my first son 4 months after I turned 15 , he just turned 28​:blue_heart: best thing ever ( along with my other 3 children of course)… love her, be there for her, yes it hurts like hell, but she’ll be ok … and be excited with her , after all, you’re gonna be a grandma :heart:

I don’t think you can ever really prepare anyone. Plus, everyone’s birth story is different.

5 Likes

I’m in baby #3 (pregnancy #5 have had 2 losses) and at 25 I’m still scared to give birth. I don’t feel as though you’re ever really prepared. You can mentally prepare to an extent, but at the end of the day you literally have NO idea what’s going to happen this time around and that’s the scary part for me personally. If I were in your shoes, I’d just talk to her about what giving birth is like, I’d give her your story wether natural or C-section, find someone that’s had the opposite of you and get their story for her, let her know the good and the bad that comes with it, don’t sugar coat it for her, don’t go all out to scare her either though. My favorite way I’ve ever heard it is “it hurts like hell, but you get a lifetime of heaven from the pain you go”. Because that is the truth. But not sugar coated. C-section or natural (from what I’ve heard from friends)family) both have their own pains you deal with

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone can be prepared for labour regardless of age. All i can say is don’t listen to people’s horror stories of 40hr labour’s etc. X

1 Like

Awww. Maybe reach out to youth services? I’m sure you will have something aimed at teen pregnancy. Love her as hard as you can, nothing prepares you for parenthood. Knowing your there for support is all you can do really. Rest is up to her.

1 Like

Usually the husband is there to support… so tell her to get married.

10 Likes

It’s going to be a rough road… I got pregnant at 14 delivered at 15. The most important thing my mom and dad did for me was being there for me. Being angry and bitter is not what that baby needs. I was too young to do it alone and my parents helped me from day one. It was rough but with my parents help we raised a lovely daughter who is thriving. I couldn’t have done that without them. Love them both and give that baby a better future… Good luck…

7 Likes

Be honest with her and don’t sugarcoat things that birth is beautiful blah blah blah sometimes it’s not sometimes it sucks.
One born every minute is an amazing show maybe you two can bond and watch it together.

2 Likes

Take her to a good doctor/therapist so she can work though what to expect physically and emotionally. :purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart:

1 Like

You can’t prepare a 15 year old for birth any more than you can a 30 year old :rofl: And I’ve been even more scared every other time haha, knowing is worse than not knowing :rofl:

1 Like

Just be there for her. I had my daughter at 20 and my mom lived half way across the us and my dad and his family weren’t there for me. That was the hardest part. As for preparing her to give birth, I personally don’t think you can because every birth is so different. My 2 were like night and day.

Let her know that what she is feeling is completely normal . Most people are terrified, it’s Just not spoken about.
I decided I didn’t want to give birth anymore, the day I was getting my waters broken.
It’s friggin scary!

Birth scares a lot of us but it’s so worth everything when you hold your little blessing :heart:

1 Like

I got pregnant with my 1st at 15….I was TERRIFIED! I was just assured that womens bodies were created to physically be able to give birth and that even if I didn’t know what I was doing my body did. That baby’s gotta come out somehow!

3 Likes

You won’t be able to prepare her for child birth. Just be there for her through it all. Just let her know you will be there every step of the way. I know I wished I had my mom to. Help her when she needs it. Show her thing she will need to learn. Talk to her about natural birth and C-section.

3 Likes

I would sign her up for some hospital birthing classes and maybe a therapist where she can talk through things.

1 Like

Amazing girl
You have a fantastic daughter there

1 Like

You will be bringing up this baby
I hope you are prepared

14 Likes

Honestly, back in the day it was not unusual for a young lady to give birth at 15. My oldest child was born when I was 16. Then I had my middle child at 25 and my youngest child was born when I was 32. At 16, giving birth was much easier for me than 25 or 32. I was a more energetic mother at 16 than I am to my 5 year old now. I think having babies at a young age is easier on the body but harder mentally with it such a surprise and a struggle financially. I was strong in my faith, determined to be a great Mom, and so in love with my baby so it wasn’t a negative thing for me. It turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me! I still to this day believe it was meant to be.

5 Likes

I’m so proud of your daughter for choosing life and your an amazing mother for being so supportive of her :heart:

What could really help is some breastfeeding classes ( wic has them for free , sometimes the hospitals ) also look into birthing classes , birthing books , articles in Pinterest. Look also in Instagram from # similar topics…

I pray she has a beautiful road ahead. And bless you ladies :heart: wish you the best

9 Likes

The best suggestion for now is to give her support in terms of pregnancy and giving birth. The options available and there are more than one…accordingto funds available…remember after effect s as well.

Thereafter responsibility of taking care if the child…be very honest. If the father is present, he needs to share responsibility…involve his parents if he is underage.

Marriage should not be an option now however after baby is born, contraceptive is a must.

She should complete her education, obviously with parents finances( this must be recorded as a loan to be paid back)

Best of luck.

3 Likes

Nothing can prepare her for that , just tell her that the body will know what to do when the moment arrive and that you will be by her side .

4 Likes

Try a doula, I have never had one but would really have benefitted from one. Also, as someone who was a teen mom it is so hard getting pregnant that young, luckily I wasn’t that young though. She may benefit from therapy. Prepare her with information. Prenatal care, prenatal vitamins, birthing classes, parenting classes, look into WIC with her, talk to lactation consultants, have her join local mom groups if they allow 15 year olds. Talk to her about her options on formula/breastfeeding, talk to her about labor and that it can end in birthing with or without medication, or in a c section. Prepare her for that. Talk to her about baby blues, speak to her about postpartum depression/anxiety/etc so SHE KNOWS instead of her staying silent about it.

Guide her through this. Be there for her. Help her enjoy her pregnancy, it might not be the perfect timing being so young, but it is what it is and she should be able to look back on her memories and remember joy from her time being pregnant. Help her set up a crib, go thrifting or shopping for baby items/clothes. Get her a baby book for her to write in, it could be therapeutic for her. :heart:

2 Likes

take the birthing classes that the hospital offers it is still a very big deal and being a mother is a huge lifetime commitment.

Watch call the midwife. That show leaves nothing to the imagination. :flushed:
Honestly just be there. No one is ever ready. I was 29 and was scared to death. But I had my husband there every step. She doesn’t have a husband but she does have you!!! Go to child birthing classes. Be honest about your our labor experience with her. Let her know the anxiety is normal but somehow instinct takes over. She will know what to do when the time comes

She should have been paying attention in Health class and all that could have been avoided! 🤦🏼‍♀

12 Likes

I was 19 and I was always scared until it happened then I thought to myself “ well we got into this mess and there’s no turning back now” so I just faced the fact that I’m gonna give birth and I didn’t even take an epidural. I just did it and it was all ok afterwards ( my fear was dying giving birth but I survived and now I have 5 kids)

2 Likes

Birthing, lamaze classes, usually through a hospital.

1 Like

She should be. I’m still traumatized :sweat_smile::speak_no_evil:

3 Likes

I’m 30 with no kids I don’t understand why kids can’t be more careful these days there is nothing to praise about a 15 year old girl who is knocked up… y’all can think I’m a B all you want but seriously 15 your not even done maturing at 15 you are in school if that was me at 15 my mom would have whipped my A** school should be a priority not men and sex and now a baby she now has to force herself to grow up she won’t be able to enjoy what kids her age are doing… she is lucky she has you to support her but I hope she knows that something like this should not be rewarded… honestly I would ground my kid until the end of time… keep the child because it’s not their fault but kids need to learn that sex leads to pregnancy most of the time why do people normalize and praise babies having babies teens having babies i just don’t understand… she apparently didn’t pay much attention to her daughter and what she was
Doing for her to be knocked up… there are a lot of great young moms don’t get me wrong but teen pregnancy is not all fun and rainbows I’m sure … just try to support her the way u can I guess be the mother u should have been and keep an eye on her and the baby

I had my first at 17 i was scared thank god my mother loved and supported me…excellent programs out there for teen moms. Just know i was kicked out in 10th grade came back my senior year pregnant with my oldest and went to college. I have 2 degrees one in surgical technology and the other is nursing. Been a RN for 7 years. Nothing is impossible just love, guide and support her.

7 Likes

Take her to lots and lots of classes.

Watch people’s birth stories on your tube I did n found it quite helpful

I was 19, very alone but I had a wonderful nurse, sister Flynn who stayed with me all the way, you are a great mum to support her, she will be scared, I was. We didn’t have classes and books, give her as much info as you can but don’t overload her. Good luck to her

Some of you have a hard time answering a question and go straight to the criticism. Just read the question. No-one asked for your input on what should have happened or not. Read the post ladies. She’s pregnant. How can mom help prepare her for birth? It’s not a hard question.

7 Likes

Time for a dose of reality.

1 Like

Just always be there for her and get to to attend the midwife and baby classed etc to prepare her for the birth, maybe find someone who is pregnant at the same time so she has some else to talk to and someone of the same age who has just had a baby x

2 Likes

OK so this is me and my daughter, I was 15 and pregnant (16 when I gave birth) it was hard I lost almost all of my ‘friends’ but I had my little girl, who is now 16 herself and she is amazing! We are the best of friends and I am so proud of her!! Your daughter will be fine, as for actually giving birth, just reassure her that as soon as its over and she’s got that baby in her arms, nothing else matters :heartpulse: good luck! Please ignore all the nasty and negative comments, some people have nothing better to do than try and bring people down!

16 Likes

Remind her that people choose to do it MULTIPLE TIMES so it’s not terrible

I was absolutely terrified to give birth at 19. Even thought about asking for a c section because I was so scared of the pain of birth

Epidural seems scary but it’s not bad at all! Worst part of the whole thing is contractions and some women even go completely unmedicated by choice! It seems scary but it will be alright!

Only advice is be there for her every step of the way she still needs her mum even tho she’s going to be one herself :sparkling_heart: x

4 Likes

I was 19 when I found out I was pregnant, labour is my favourite part!!! I absolutely hate the feel of it, but it’s the most special part and that takes away every kind of pain she will have! Mentally, and physically because in the end she’ll have her perfect bundle of joy and everything will just disappear! I went on to have another, again excited for birth so it really isn’t all that bad! Especially the pain relief that you can get!

she should be more worried about raising a child AS a child. And I’m saying that from experience. Not being emotionally, financial physically ready is a really scary thing. It’s a struggle every day, she’s still a baby she hasn’t had a life yet. Again I’m talking from experience, At 30 I met my new husband, he pushed me to study, get my dream job, Get my ps and to save and get mine and my childrens life on track. (Older two he has taken them on as his own) It is so much easier we are now expecting our 2nd baby together (my 4th).

6 Likes

Your daughter is so lucky to you as her mum …I was 16 and pregnant with my son…I couldn’t have done it without my mums support and guidance he’s now 34…I went on to have 3 more boys…good luck to you both…you are amazing letting her make her own choice and not forcing her to do what she doesn’t want to do…well done mum :heart::heart::heart::england:

I was the EXACT same. 15 and pregnant. I was absolutely terrified and I remember everyone telling me how bad it would be, and honestly I can say, and I remember saying this straight after giving birth, the birth was as bad as I thought it would be. It was a lot easier than I thought. I actually found passing the placenta hurt a hell of a lot more than my little boy being born.

Be there for her. Help her to finish school.

Tell her she can walk in and request an epidural :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Help go through the different birthing options and decide which one she thinks would be the best for her honestly getting her a doula may help u and her loads on being able to advocate what is wanted throughout the pregnancy and labor process

Let her know you love her. Let her know you will be there for her. It’s gonna get real. :wink:

All you can do is tell her it’s not going to be easy to give birth n explain what pain relief they can give you etc

Just be there and tell her you’ll be by her side every step of the way to support her and comfort her and maybe chat about your experience of child birth(not if it were a difficult birth) good luck.

Let her get the epidural, it feels like a metal pipe wants to come through between your butt and vagina… if she doesn’t have a birthing partner, definitely fill in for one, and still be mom to her too, she will want you there.

Get her into some classes like hypno birthing, might put her mind at ease

I dont believe any of us were prepared for out first labour regardless of age lol.
Make sure she attends all her appointments/ exercise classes , eats a healthy diet , stays hydrated and doesn’t listen to any horror stories of other births that may scare her unnecessarily.
Her midwife can talk her through pain relief options and she’s got you by her side all the way for support. Hope all goes well for. Congratulations

1 Like

Just be there for her that’s all you can do, maybe tell her your experience of giving birth, try and reassure her that she will be ok. And make sure she has a pain medication plan in her head for labour because it is sore but 100% worth it. I wish I had support but I had none at the time of my pregnancy. I think everyone was disgusted that I was having a baby at 15. I didn’t care and I was never scared of giving birth, I was just excited. I didn’t know the gender so that made me even more excited. I forgot about the pain straight after and asked my sons dad when we could have our next one :sweat_smile: think I was high on gas and air because I’ve still not had another after 16 years :rofl: I managed with just gas and air. Oh and 2 paracetamols because I had a temperature. Everyones different though and at the end set of contraction when they are constant, I wished I had took something else but I was told morphine would slow down my labour and the baby was distressed so it wasn’t advised they wanted him out as quick as possible. Lucky I listened because his cord was round his neck when he was born. I definitely didn’t want a epidural needles aren’t my thing. I only had a 4 hour active labour so it wasn’t long at all. I hope she has a good labour :heart:

1 Like

Tell her the truth. It hurts like heck, no getting around it ! Hopefully she finish school and can still raise her baby.

1 Like

Tell her the truth about it and make sure she finishes school.

1 Like

You just need to educate her as much as possible.
And assure her there are pain medications.

1 Like

Labor class and be there. When I had my daughter (17) all I wanted was my Mom. She held my hand through it all.

1 Like

Contact Shakti Births - Doula Services • HypnoBirthing • Birth Equipment

And good job mama, for supporting her :hugs::yellow_heart:

5 Likes

Make sure she has a truly supportive care provider – ideally a private midwife with backup gynae and someone to hold her and support her throughout labour. Yourself, a bigger sister, a doula. Someone there just for her comfort and not medical responsibility.
Let her read the book Birth Skills by Juju Sandin.

2 Likes

Classes, speak facts, be supportive

Too late,you should have taught her that 15 yr old girls shouldn’t be pregnant :person_shrugging:

17 Likes

My daughters OB said it was ok for her to go to chiropractor (one that works with pregnant women).She literally pushed once. She said it was the smartest thing she did. Just be there for her.

15 unbelievable. Please educate your children…

7 Likes

I think being honest about the fact that it will hurt, along with childbirth classes will help. Our local hospitals in NJ offer childbirth classes. There are videos to watch. But most importantly, remind her that you will be there to support and help her and that she will not be alone.

l Get paid over $132 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $16398 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://DollarsBox352.pages.dev/

Be there for her at the birth I had my mom with me and both pregnancy’s. It’s very scary being young and pregnant I wasn’t 15 I was 16-17 but still a teen.
Make sure you have a Bluetooth speaker a good playlist with music she likes take it into the birth room. Smile and comfort her. Also invest in a yoga ball birthing ball. Get her to use it. Made my birth easier. And Pain meds if she needs them. Try mom and bump groups ask midwife Xx

You can’t. Give her a list of individual therapists, birthing classes and parenting classes. Housing resources too probably.

Have her take birthing classes. See if they have classes for teens

l Get paid over $132 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $16398 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://DollarsBox382.pages.dev/

tell her to get over it and time to grow up she wanted to do adult things. well here ya go.
cant really prepare anyone for child birth. guess just be there for her… pretty bad how many posts i see about kids getting pregnant. do we not educate our kids anymore about this shit?

Just be very supportive. I had my first son at 15 and I had a midwife and she was absolutely amazing during labor and delivery. If she needs anyone to talk to I would be more than happy to talk to her. But she will probably want you because that’s the only person I wanted was my momma. Thank you for being so supportive and not kicking her out or making her get rid of her baby. We need more parents like you. Good job momma

8 Likes

I was pregnant at 15, had my son at 16, had my 1st house, car, and job at 16 and have raised my son his entire life. Prepare her mindset that her baby comes first… no partying and ditching her child. She wants a baby then she’s an adult now. School won’t be easy to finish since the other kids are in a complete different mindset thinking about sports, drama, & dances… while her mindset will need to be keeping a human alive. You need to prepare her for motherhood more than the actual birth. The birth is over quickly. The child will need her forever. I hope her maturity level is good because fun and games is over.

5 Likes

Make sure she has her baby in a hospital. Too much can go wrong with a child that age and at home. If she doesn’t get an epidural, she may never want another baby. I know a few people who had their babies at 15. It’s a hard path to choose and you need to make sure she knows it.

I got pregnant at 17 and it was the best thing that ever happened to me. She will be fine. She’s very lucky to have a supportive momma :white_heart:

3 Likes

We have the HOPE program in Marathon County…totally supportive to new moms.

Just talk to her and be there for her

Lamaze class, maybe even consider a Parenting class for her at 15 she will need help

Just be there for her and your grandchild.
Answer her questions the best you can—let her consult with a professional if she asks something you can’t answer. Best of luck. :blue_heart:

Good Lick!!!
At 31 giving birth for the first time, I was scared too. Total panic attacks! My mom would walk around the neighborhood at night whenever the panic attacks happened.

Be there for her, let her know her rights as a pregnant patient in the hospital.

Should have kept her legs shut

7 Likes